Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Made up another thing, this time about hit-confirms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3k2TFDSxnc

Now if you already know about your hit confirms and how to do it, all good. But I know the game has attracted an audience that isn't as hip to fighting game stuff so if you are newish and want to up your game this can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Sadly I think both Boston Brand and Martian manhunter seem like better fits to that image than Constantine. Even Red tornado would fit better. One on the left looks a lot like either doctor midnite or hour man?!

Although thinking about it, putting hourman in a fighting game would be really hard, and really boring? Like he'd have to have a scarecrow type intro where he takes the miraclo but then what's his character ppeer? He sees an hour into the future where you've gone out to the shops?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
When can we actually play Red Hood? Last night the title screen had a "Red Hood Available Now" ad, but he wasn't selectable.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Red Hood is probably releasing during E3 next week, around the same time they show off Starfire or something.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd love to play as Red Tornado but I think he's been forgotten by like every other person in existence.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

When can we actually play Red Hood? Last night the title screen had a "Red Hood Available Now" ad, but he wasn't selectable.

the same time you'll be able to play Starfire and Sub-Zero: probably mid-June, late next week at the minimum. Doubt they'll release each character one at a time for a pack.

Saw a few tier lists bumped up by SonicFox/PigoftheHut. Top 10 was something like Black Adam, Aquaman, Atrocitus, Deadshot, Darkseid, Batman, Superman, Bane, Poison Ivy (!) and Robin.

Plenty of people think Harley, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Catwoman, Canary, Fate, etc etc are more deserving of spots and again, it's just a couple of guys in the pro scene thinking these characters have the least bad matchups, yet they still have bad matchups against characters like even Cheetah, Captain Cold, etc. So it doesn't seem as lopsided a game as Injustice 1 was by a country mile.

I think something everyone agrees on across the board though is Blue Beetle's damage not being enough to tango with other characters. As for me, I just want to see Le Joker and Scarecrow in a top 8....lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They wouldn't have patched in just Red Hood if they weren't releasing separately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DLC Inc posted:

Plenty of people think Harley, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Catwoman, Canary, Fate, etc etc are more deserving of spots

This is literally the list of my favorite characters in Injustice 2 so far.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah the fact that Red Hood is the only one presented on the character screen seems like they will release them 1 at a time and the packs are just for pricing purposes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah the fact that Red Hood is the only one presented on the character screen seems like they will release them 1 at a time and the packs are just for pricing purposes.

I guess it's one a week then which I'm fine with

exquisite tea posted:

This is literally the list of my favorite characters in Injustice 2 so far.

all of them are real good and pretty capable of matching up against the "top" guys. hell even Gorilla Grodd was in tournaments against Superman and Ivy. Granted, he didn't win because Black Adam is disgusting but there were some really fun matches.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I've been maining Grodd myself. I like him a lot but he has trouble getting in range against zoners with ranged attacks with multiple hits like Deadshot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't have a good response to Ivy yet, I just keep eating her slides and get wombo combo'd into oblivion. This is primarily as SG/Canary.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Play ranked so she can't slide :haw:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've done a dozen or so ranked matches but I kept getting frustrated with dropped strings. I have to find a way to funnel another ethernet cable into my PS4 since ranked is too infuriating to play wireless.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

I've been maining Grodd myself. I like him a lot but he has trouble getting in range against zoners with ranged attacks with multiple hits like Deadshot.

Can't you just do the armored trample run thing? I've only used him in the tutorial, but it specifically show cases using that against multiple ranged attacks?

Things I've found with Darkseid: you can cancel j3 immediately into stomp. 22, 1232 is pretty cool. Anyone got any more sauce?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

!Klams posted:

Can't you just do the armored trample run thing? I've only used him in the tutorial, but it specifically show cases using that against multiple ranged attacks?

Things I've found with Darkseid: you can cancel j3 immediately into stomp. 22, 1232 is pretty cool. Anyone got any more sauce?

It only has 1 point of armor. If Deadshot uses his triple pop shot, or Superman meter burns his heat vision, you still go down.

The leap is decent, but hard to time, and if they are fullscreen you land just short of them.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Doesn't Grodd's trait just make him completely immune to shooting?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Jimmy Hats posted:

Doesn't Grodd's trait just make him completely immune to shooting?

Trait plus a move. So you need to find a safe moment to do both

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hmm, 29 silver boxes, one epic. Then one epic in a diamond box. Sake.

Oh wow, then sold most of the stuff I opened to buy two gold boxes, both one rare each. Certainly feels like loot drops are lower now.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 6, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

!Klams posted:

Hmm, 29 silver boxes, one epic. Then one epic in a diamond box. Sake.

Oh wow, then sold most of the stuff I opened to buy two gold boxes, both one rare each. Certainly feels like loot drops are lower now.

I just got 4 epics out of 5 gold boxes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Trait plus a move. So you need to find a safe moment to do both

Grodd's ability changing to also make him immune to all projectiles would be loving crazy and I support it

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

DLC Inc posted:

Grodd's ability changing to also make him immune to all projectiles would be loving crazy and I support it

Comparing it to some of the better traits in the game, I think that'd be a pretty balanced change.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there a handy page somewhere that just lists every character's hero trait? I'm still unsure what some of them actually do and most online guides navigate to separate pages for each fighter.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Comparing it to some of the better traits in the game, I think that'd be a pretty balanced change.

Gorilla Grodd emerging as the hard-as-gently caress counter to zoners would be a wonderful thing. Suddenly everyone stashes Grodd as their alt pick.

If and when they do balance patches I'd expect changes to Black Adam, Deadshot, and possibly Ivy---all 3 of some crazy lockdown poo poo.

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a handy page somewhere that just lists every character's hero trait? I'm still unsure what some of them actually do and most online guides navigate to separate pages for each fighter.

I'll try to work this poo poo in when I update the OP later this week

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
That change would remind me of Doomsday, who was my main in IJ1 and was hard to zone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So if I actually intend to get any DLC fighters at all, and pack 1 alone is $20, is there any good reason not to just buy the stupid Ultimate Pack? (Also, seriously, three fighters for $20? Bit pricey, guys.)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Grodd's stampede has 2 hits of armour.

The trait fireball invincible move is nice on paper, but effectively worthless in a real match as it takes far too long to setup, and you just get shot out of it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

You can get abilities from Metaverse as rewards now http://imgur.com/a/0gtX8

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope they do a multiverse event where you can play as him like they did with Darkseid

They did this for MKX. Every time a DLC character came out, a new Living Tower came out with them that had 9 fights, 3 with each variant. It was a really great way to let people try out the fighters.

Naturally, we don't have variants this time around, but I imagine they'll give us around 5 or 6 fights at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Evil Canadian posted:

Made up another thing, this time about hit-confirms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3k2TFDSxnc

Now if you already know about your hit confirms and how to do it, all good. But I know the game has attracted an audience that isn't as hip to fighting game stuff so if you are newish and want to up your game this can help.

This is great, I was just reading about hit confirms earlier so seeing some video on it really helps. It does have me thinking more about frame data and how to translate that into tactics, though.

So the fastest moves in the game have a 6 frame startup, right? So that's what determines if a move is safe on block or not, generally.

If I just throw out a move that's unsafe on block (-6 or lower) and it gets blocked, then I have given the opponent the momentum, and just have to hope I don't get hit with a full combo.

If I have a move that is negative but safe on block (-1 to -5) then I can block my opponent's response. If I try to attack right away after they block I will be at a disadvantage because they can more easily line up a counter hit.

Now if I do a move that's plus on block and they block it, I still have some momentum, because I'll recover faster than they do, right? But it's only going to be 2 or 3 frames, what can that translate into?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ivy players: What's up with her combos in the move list. All the combos that start with light punch just don't work for me. Nothing chains off that first punch no matter how fast or slow I hit the medium afterwards.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
You have to do 1-2-1 // Square-Tri-Square really fast....don't try to link 'em or wait for the first light punch to come out...the frames are tight.

Try her back-Light to Medium, that one is easier to pull off; not much else to say if you can't manage that one. Go really fast.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 6, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the 121 strings are really fast. The only one I use regularly is 121213 as an ender after an ex command grab and I have enough time to flip my hand over to tap the buttons like a piano

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Her Back-2 // Back-Triangle combos and Vine Sprout game are much better things to practice anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I kinda roll my thumb in between square and triangle to hit the 1-2 strings.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'm able to hit her other combos fine it's just that 121 argh.

Yeah rolling my thumb does it, or if I stop and look at the controller so I don't move my thumb too far away.

Think I'm gonna takes moam's advice and work on the other combos!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:thunk:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's actually Dick Grayson Nightwing with his classic hilarious collar.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/872183397652860930

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Thanks, I'm able to hit her other combos fine it's just that 121 argh.

Yeah rolling my thumb does it, or if I stop and look at the controller so I don't move my thumb too far away.

Think I'm gonna takes moam's advice and work on the other combos!

b2d2 is like such a major string for her and I drop it so, so often. It doesn't help that you often want to cancel it into dbf1, and I end up accidentally inputting db2 and dd1 all the time instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is great, I was just reading about hit confirms earlier so seeing some video on it really helps. It does have me thinking more about frame data and how to translate that into tactics, though.

So the fastest moves in the game have a 6 frame startup, right? So that's what determines if a move is safe on block or not, generally.

If I just throw out a move that's unsafe on block (-6 or lower) and it gets blocked, then I have given the opponent the momentum, and just have to hope I don't get hit with a full combo.

If I have a move that is negative but safe on block (-1 to -5) then I can block my opponent's response. If I try to attack right away after they block I will be at a disadvantage because they can more easily line up a counter hit.

Now if I do a move that's plus on block and they block it, I still have some momentum, because I'll recover faster than they do, right? But it's only going to be 2 or 3 frames, what can that translate into?

A move that's -6 is only punishable if it leaves the blocker close enough to hit you with their 6 frame attacks. The further an attack pushes away on block the more negative it has to be to be unsafe, because longer reaching attacks are generally slower.

If you get your opponent to block an attack that's +3, then you have three frames to do things before they can. So even if they do a really fast 6-frame attack afterward, you can beat it with an 8 frame attack or trade with a 9 frame one. In real match neither of you is going to be reliably hitting your attack on the first possible frame, so there's some fuzzyness to how this will play out in practice, but it's still a helpful concept to understand. When you're only +2 or +3, your opponent's d1 is still probably going to beat your fastest non-d1 mid, so you still need to try and read what action your opponent will take, but those extra frames will let you beat their d1 with yours, or maybe just walk backwards out of d1 range and then whiff punish.

• Locked thread