Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The President of the United States stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from kids with cancer and it won't even get a news cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rigel posted:

I'm going to need to know who it was and why they were bad before I give even the slightest poo poo about who Trump picked for that office

Courtney Simmons Elwood

http://www.kellogghansen.com/attorneys-Courtney-Simmons-Elwood.html

straight from wikipedia

quote:

Courtney Simmons Elwood is an American attorney. She is a partner with the firm Kellogg, Hansen, Todd, Figel & Frederick. She joined this firm in 1996, after clerking for Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist on the Supreme Court of the United States and for Judge J. Michael Luttig on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.[1] Elwood has served as an associate counsel to the president, deputy counsel to the vice president, and deputy chief of staff and counselor to the attorney general.[2] In March 2017, she was announced as President Donald Trump's nominee for General Counsel of the Central Intelligence Agency.[3]

She's a totally fine pick for the position.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Minecraft is very much a freeform do-what-you-want game that will consume all the time you care to put into it. It has effectively infinite land if you want to go exploring and almost as infinite capacity for construction if you'd rather stay in one place. Not only can you sculpt or assemble almost anything you want, but there are pretty deep dynamic/interactive parts so you can build mechanisms that do things. All this is catnip to certain sorts of personality, especially children trying to escape the real world.

The Enterprise model I think was made with computer assistance but crazy people build entire cities one brick at a time by hand.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the biggest problem is so many of the systems are incomprehensible without referring to external documentation or watching squeaky voiced youtube tutorials. game systems should be simple enough to grasp intuitively, or if necessary explained through step by step tutorials. too many things in minecraft are opaque, from item recipes to how to build hell portals. if a game isn't a puzzle game but it expects you to engage in tedious trial by error just to 'unlock' more game mechanics then that is bad design

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Trump played Minecraft and got killed by a skeleton and now he's president.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Did everyone miss that the tweet calls him McMuffin?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

the biggest problem is so many of the systems are incomprehensible without referring to external documentation or watching squeaky voiced youtube tutorials. game systems should be simple enough to grasp intuitively, or if necessary explained through step by step tutorials. too many things in minecraft are opaque, from item recipes to how to build hell portals

I agree that most of those things should be in the game, but shared knowledge like that is part of what makes is really appealing to kids - you can collaborate with other kids and share things you found out/figured out.

I just think that calling it an "objectively bad game" over that is very, very silly.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

I just think that calling it an "objectively bad game" over that is very, very silly.

:shrug: thats fine. it is a bad game though from a game design standpoint, but there's a lot of bad games that are popular. tic tac toe is terrible. so is monopoly, and freeze tag. bad doesn't mean unfun

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

oohhboy posted:

It's pass it's use by date. There are many voxel block builders that do more and better in every way that can fill your specific needs.

Which games are these?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
That nom got itself a post on Lawfare a while back: https://www.lawfareblog.com/excellent-nominations-cia-gc-and-dod-gc

Cutting her teeth working for Bush, Cheney, and Ashcroft or Gonzales doesn't really have me enthused, but she seems qualified, which is decidedly exceeding expectations at this point.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:wow:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

I can, the government still needs to function for the next 4 years and most offices have at least some necessary power that can't be delegated to an unconfirmed person.

There are career civil service people in all these jobs who I would much rather stay in place than anyone Trump would nominate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

fsif posted:

The President of the United States stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from kids with cancer and it won't even get a news cycle.

To be fair that's only because of the ongoing suspicions he's a russian plant.

And the massive foreign policy crisis he stepped in.

In other words it's a sign of how hosed up the times are, not that it's just being ignored.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

McMullin MIGHT be my favorite Republican

The only good republican is Arnold.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

repeating posted:

Did everyone miss that the tweet calls him McMuffin?

I did miss that and it's pretty hilarious.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

The only good republican is Arnold.

As a Californian: ehhhhhh.....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of any reason any democratic senator should ever vote for a Trump nominee. No matter who it is.

RIP Tammy Duckworth, noted ideological traitor.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

-Blackadder- posted:

Minecraft always seemed like a really interesting game, but I never got into it. One of these days I should give it a shot. Is it goon approved?

Minecraft is fun as hell (though it's unfortunate you have to line Notch's gross GG pockets but at this point another 30 bucks isn't gonna make a difference one way or the other), but a bit aimless once you get tired of building giant dicks.

So, for a Goon, at least 100 hours.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
How the gently caress is it the year our Lord 2017 and people are still asking 'Hey, what's that old Minecraft like'?

It's so ingrained in our culture, ever so much in our smaller online goony culture, it's basically as common as solitaire on the pc was.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

She refused to stand up to Trump.

What a waste.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Family Values posted:

Arnold was a pretty lovely governor, but he is actually willing to admit to his mistakes and is basically now a democrat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Classtoise posted:

Minecraft is fun as hell (though it's unfortunate you have to line Notch's gross GG pockets but at this point another 30 bucks isn't gonna make a difference one way or the other), but a bit aimless once you get tired of building giant dicks.

So, for a Goon, at least 100 hours.

Notch hasn't had anything to with Minecraft for years. Microsoft bought it out from him in 2015.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

fsif posted:

What

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Decent Senator, bad vote.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2017/06/06/how-donald-trump-shifted-kids-cancer-charity-money-into-his-business/#3f099bb36b4a

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Buca di Bepis posted:

Notch hasn't had anything to with Minecraft for years. Microsoft bought it out from him in 2015.

He took all the money from his staff and bought a house in the hills of Los Angeles and spends his time in a drunk depressed stupor eating from his candy room.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Family Values posted:

He might not have been a great governor, but I think he's a good guy. And in any other state, he's a centrist Democrat, really.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trump's son was transferring charity cancer research money to daddy's bank account.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

There are career civil service people in all these jobs who I would much rather stay in place than anyone Trump would nominate.

You are just the worst. You don't know anything about it but that didn't stop you from forming an unshakable opinion and doubling down.

You are our Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Arnold would be an infinitely better President than Trump.

And he'd be a pretty bad President.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Trump just wants to go home and Notch just wants to leave his.

What I'm saying is we need Notch to pull a Dave with Trump.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ReidRansom posted:

He might not have been a great governor, but I think he's a good guy.

He cheated on his wife with his housemaid, had an illegitimate child, then lied about it for over a decade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boon posted:

You are just the worst. You don't know anything about it but that didn't stop you from forming an unshakable opinion and doubling down.

You are our Trump.

Can you name any Trump appointee who is preferable to a random civil servant?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

exploded mummy posted:

He took all the money from his staff

His team didn't get a payout?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

He might not have been a great governor, but I think he's a good guy. And in any other state, he's a centrist Democrat, really.

At worst he was just bad at it. At least he wasn't malicious.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of any reason any democratic senator should ever vote for a Trump nominee. No matter who it is.

Didn't even have to read the username to know who posted this

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

He cheated on his wife with his housemaid, had an illegitimate child, then lied about it for over a decade.

No hiding from this one

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Looks like another slow news day. Yawn..

Thursday better be good.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mulva posted:

He's old and in terrible shape, and he's constantly being told he sucks. That's terrible for a narcissist. There's a solid chance he just dies, or the stress accelerates his family tendency toward dementia. Old people die, even rich ones.

Rich narcissists actually often hasten their own demises because they can't understand that death and disease don't give a gently caress who you are and it's the one thing you can't just make go away even with your incredible powers.

See - Steve Jobs getting a treatable form of cancer, skipping the line for a donor organ, and then dying anyway because he couldn't be convinced that the treatment he preferred wasn't necessarily the best or for that matter even effective one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That's vanilla these days. Almost quaint in retrospect.

• Locked thread