Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
More like Nosfera-doo-doo...because it will be bad. HAAAA!

I'll leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On this topic, is Nosferatu in the public domain? Given that they dumped their Dracula movie from this shared continuity, using Nosferatu instead could be a way to bring a classic vampire into it. And pretty apt considering the origins of the character in relation to Dracula.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Nosferatu 3: TOKYO DRIPS

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/872157050288996352

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the replies to the Yahoo tweet is right, is Talladega Nights going to be 10 minutes long?

And to all you conservative "think of children" types, Elysium is probably still going to be communist.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Codependent Poster posted:

Universal just needs to keep making all their monsters hot like the Mummy is.

Hot Hunchback. Hot Phantom. Hot Creature of the Black Lagoon.

Hot Hunchback is just a hot lady wearing glasses and schlumpy ill-fitting clothes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Hot Hunchback is just a hot lady wearing glasses and schlumpy ill-fitting clothes.

In Discworld, Igors are a race based on both Frankenstein's monster and Frankenstein's deformed assistant Eyegore. They modify their own bodies using surgery and spare parts from corpses, and as a result all of them are unnaturally tough and strong (and also good doctors/coroners), but while the men resemble Quasimodo the women are all extremely hot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

In Discworld, Igors are a race based on both Frankenstein's monster and Frankenstein's deformed assistant Eyegore. They modify their own bodies using surgery and spare parts from corpses, and as a result all of them are unnaturally tough and strong (and also good doctors/coroners), but while the men resemble Quasimodo the women are all extremely hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstrous_Regiment_(novel)

Igors are Igors all over

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

I wish assistant Fritz was better remembered.

Ygor wasnt until Son of Frankenstein (which is still a great film)

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

The MSJ posted:

One of the replies to the Yahoo tweet is right, is Talladega Nights going to be 10 minutes long?

And to all you conservative "think of children" types, Elysium is probably still going to be communist.

Watching capitalists slowly bleed out to death is the best part of that film, though!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mexican is not a skin color. Most Mexicans are white, a significant minority are mixed (mostly of mixed European and Native blood), and a small minority are black.

I mean yeah race is a social construct but you're just being silly.

Uhh

I don't really have any skin in this game because I'm not latinx and have never been to Mexico, but my gf is from Zacatecas and read this post over my shoulder and just about lost her poo poo because in her experience "a significant minority" are white, the vast majority are mestizo and she maybe sees one or two black people every time she goes home

You might be a little full of poo poo here is what I'm saying

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Reading over your shoulder is rude

Build a wall! On your shoulder

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like, Mexico is not a real life telenovela dude

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Reading over your shoulder is rude

Build a wall! On your shoulder

i'm doing my shitposting on a computer hooked up to a 42" TV so it's a little inevitable :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

Watching capitalists slowly bleed out to death is the best part of that film, though!

What about the dude getting his face blown and then rebuilt? The grisly deaths are pretty much the only objectionable parts of that movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Uhh

I don't really have any skin in this game because I'm not latinx and have never been to Mexico, but my gf is from Zacatecas and read this post over my shoulder and just about lost her poo poo because in her experience "a significant minority" are white, the vast majority are mestizo and she maybe sees one or two black people every time she goes home

Well it depends on what region of Mexico you're visiting. People with white skin are found more often on the north of the country and areas where money is abundant (since they don't need to out in the field working their rear end off). Go to the south with the warmer climates and people with brown skin is the norm.

Then you have to consider any big city is a melting pot of ethnicities. That said, your gf is right, you rarely see black people here.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

So like, have you actually been around a Mexican ever? They don't identify as white my man.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 7, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

basic hitler posted:

So like, have you actually been around a Mexican ever? They don't identify as white my man.

If you're talking to me, I'm around one all the time. I was born, raised and live on Mexico City and due my job I've traveled all around the country for the past five years.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lotta people in this thread discovering that race is a nonsensical, subjective social construct.

I'm interested in seeing the kid-friendly cut of Spider-Man, honestly. Superhero films are already hypersanitized violence, are they gonna remove violent scenes altogether? Is it okay to show a child a film about extrajudicial vigilante violence if you cut before every punch lands? Or are they just gonna remove the one swear word or something?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would think a kid friendly Spider-Man movie would also be a morally responsible Spider-Man movie and not show any on screen violence that would realistically result in the loss of human life. To show sanitized violence without realistic consequence just breeds immoral apathy towards real world tragedies in more susceptible viewers, and if Sony was really being socially conscious, they would take that into consideration.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It looks like they're not re-editing the films themselves or replacing the original versions at all, they're just including the "airline version" edits in the extras package:

quote:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will announce today its “Clean Version” initiative, which “allows viewers to screen the broadcast or airline versions of select Sony films, free from certain mature content.” Rather than forcing consumers to choose whether to buy the original or “clean” cut of a given movie, Sony will instead make these “edited for content” versions available at no additional charge as one of the “extras” included with the theatrical version of the films that are part of the program, purchased on iTunes, VUDU, and FandangoNOW.

Red Bones posted:

I'm interested in seeing the kid-friendly cut of Spider-Man, honestly.

If you caught a plane back in 2002 you might have already seen it!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

kid friendly spider-man has removed all the parts where he harms pigeons

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Uhh

Yeah I am full of poo poo. Sorry.

The data I found seemed to claim most Meztitos as white and only the 100% native as being native at all.

In a few decades when the Mexicans in the US have fully integrated they'll be as white as the Irish or the Italians. Then the scary non-white immigrants will be Saami or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ruddiger posted:

Eh, there's no arguing with someone when they feel they've got moral superiority on their side

loving lol.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Imagine the biggest change in the Spider-Man edit would probably cut out either the violent death of Norman and probably remove the scene of the people at the parade being turned into green skeletons. The later was always just so comical and out of place in the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What's even funnier is that my 6 year old cousin's going through the same argument, only it's to her face because her father's black and the little white kids in her class tease her when she tells them she's Mexican and their retort is "NUH UH, YOU'RE BLACK." and then do that thing that little white kids do.

America revels in its ignorance.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ruddiger posted:

What's even funnier is that my 6 year old cousin's going through the same argument, only it's to her face because her father's black and the little white kids in her class tease her when she tells them she's Mexican and their retort is "NUH UH, YOU'RE BLACK." and then do that thing that little white kids do.

America revels in its ignorance.

Did you miss that the "lol" was directed at you

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well it depends on what region of Mexico you're visiting. People with white skin are found more often on the north of the country and areas where money is abundant (since they don't need to out in the field working their rear end off). Go to the south with the warmer climates and people with brown skin is the norm.

Then you have to consider any big city is a melting pot of ethnicities. That said, your gf is right, you rarely see black people here.

southern mexico has a larger population of native, black, native/black, native/white,white/black. But because we care more about social status than race, many don't even know or care about what reace their ancestors were. (FYI I can pass for white brunette mexican, but next to a gringo or european I look brown as gently caress,heh.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

And they got Cliff Curtis to play a Mexican in Training Day, what's your point other than great minority actors need to be cast in more movies?

It's hilarious because I started this off by both saying I see where you guys are coming from AND that nationality played a huge factor in my perception because of my own background and you dummies are like "lol nope ur wrong"

Thanks for putting another minority in their place I guess? White makes right, yo joe.

Yo you're being dumb about this. I'm an African naturalized American, and I'm black as hell. Do cops treat you worse when they see you? Then yes, you're black. That's the test. The actress has identified herself as black in the States because that's how people treat her, might as well get some solidarity from people dealing with the same poo poo.

Uh.....Okja is being blackballed in South Korea because it's premeiring in Netflix. Some interesting things there: http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/korea-cinemas-deny-screens-to-netflix-okja-bong-joon-ho-1202456655/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah it was the smuggest taking his ball and going home ever.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Do cops treat you worse when they see you? Then yes, you're black. That's the test.

So in your view, dark skin Mexicans are black? I mean, I don't care if some guy thinks I'm black (I've been confused for everything else under the sun), but honestly how is that any more crazy than me saying Lupita's Mexican?

Americans like to joke that Michael Jackson's not really black. I never found poo poo like that funny, but I did find MJ to be tragically American through and through. This country strips away and tries to shame it's people for their ancestry, mostly because of the mortal sin this country was founded on, the genocide of its native population and it's embrace of oppressive slavery in its founding years. Mexico had the same issue with it's abuse of it's native people, but when 90% of the population looks like the natives that were once systemically victimized, we could no longer use skin color as an excuse to force that kind of segregation upon ourselves. White Spaniards can't hide behind their skin color any more than the brown Mestizo. We're all Mexican.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it was the smuggest taking his ball and going home ever.

drat smug minorities, always think they know what they're talking about.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 7, 2017

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ruddiger posted:

So in your view, dark skin Mexicans are black? I mean, I don't care if some guy thinks I'm black (I've been confused for everything else under the sun), but honestly how is that any more crazy than me saying Lupita's Mexican?

Americans like to joke that Michael Jackson's not really black. I never found poo poo like that funny, but I did find MJ to be tragically American through and through. This country strips away and tries to shame it's people for their ancestry, mostly because of the mortal sin this country was founded on, the genocide of its native population and it's embrace of oppressive slavery in its founding years. Mexico had the same issue with it's abuse of it's native people, but when 90% of the population looks like the natives that were once systemically victimized, we could no longer use skin color as an excuse to force that kind of segregation upon ourselves. White Spaniards can't hide behind their skin color any more than the brown Mestizo. We're all Mexican.

Why are you ignoring the fact that Lupita refers to herself as black

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

When society decides to burden you with poo poo b/c of how they perceive your ethnicity, then I think you should have the right to join that ethnicity as race is a social construct, not one based on fact. You keep it bringing back to your experience, but your experience is not mine, and most especially, based off her comments, not Lupita's, so I don't even know why you're still arguing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ruddiger posted:

Yeah you sure put Lupita back in her place! drat uppity minority ignoring your precious racial charts!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

When society decides to burden you with poo poo b/c of how they perceive your ethnicity, then I think you should have the right to join that ethnicity as race is a social construct, not one based on fact.

Exactly. Lupita is black skinned. We all have eyeballs. She chooses to identify herself as both Kenyan and Mexican. I quickly edited my one point where I said she was "Mexican" because it's more nuanced than that. She identifies as African Mexican, so therefore she is Mexican not just in my eyes, but in her own eyes as well. I'm Mexican American, but I'm still just "Mexican" when it comes to the majority of Americans.

It really says something that these guys can post that speech from Lupita but ignore the words she's saying. Her speech was all about racial identity and the way this country shames those considered dark skinned or with features considered "other". It was about growing up in this western culture and struggling with our identity. When a minority actor goes out of their way to embrace their heritage, how can you in good conscience just cast that aside? It's clearly important to Lupita that people know she's both Kenyan and Mexican, why take that away by just saying "she's just black?"

e: reminder if I didn't bring this up, the only "black woman" you'd all be talking about is Rosario Dawson (who's boriqua through and through).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 7, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ah the classic goal post moving, can't just admit you were wrong. This is the internet.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah the classic goal post moving, can't just admit you were wrong. This is the internet.

Do you get headaches when looking in the mirror, Mr. Kettle?

I made my point in the first two posts on the subject. I haven't gone back and edited them except for the one quick edit that happened in the seconds after posting. The goal post still stands unwavered.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Do you get headaches when looking in the mirror, Mr. Kettle?

Ah you will call me black but not Lupita.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 7, 2017

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah you will call me black but not Lupina?

Ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure who Lupina is but you guys can knock yourself out and call whoever whatever you want. Clearly reason was never a factor in this conversation, nor was the consideration to the identity that minorities choose for themselves.

• Locked thread