Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Wow, that's pretty sudden. Not Spurrier sudden, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dilber posted:

well then, never mind.

I can't remember a single major scandal of Stoops, so good on him. Enjoy life.

Joe Mixon not ring a bell? That alone should have been termination with cause.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Dilber posted:

well then, never mind.

I can't remember a single major scandal of Stoops, so good on him. Enjoy life.

the piece of poo poo talked ill of the SEC may he rot in hell

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.
Thanks for everything Bob. I hope your retirement kicks some serious rear end, you have earned it.

Real Name Grover posted:

As a fan, would you have preferred an external search? Just curious.

No, that wouldn't make any sense at this point in the process. Roll with Riley and see what he's made of, if he flames out then OU has first pick during the next coaching carousel and will be one of the best possible landing spots for any candidates out there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Needs to pull a Barry Alvarez and unretire a few years later for a single game to end his career with two consecutive bowl wins over Auburn.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I wouldn't argue against anyone walking away from coaching because they wanted a life, but 56 is pretty young for a major college coach to do that right?

I guess Urban Meyer for health wanting out of Florida reasons. How many other guys have done this?

Eh, it's a really stressful job that has probably already shortened his lifespan. And he's made tons of money off it. Why not just go out and enjoy what you've earned before you're too old and infirm?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Oh yeah, that's why I don't want to say he's doing anything wrong. I'm sure I wouldn't last a month as a college coach for stress reasons.

C. Everett Koop posted:

He also happily accepted DGB's transfer, although there wasn't a tape of the main incident involved there (and he never played a down for OU I guess).

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hire Charlie Strong, Oklahoma

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

Hey don't forget DeDe Westbrook and Dorial Green-Beckham.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I guess I just didn't pay much attention to him then.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Too bad he didn't get canned. I would've loved to see him versus Herman though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

buddhanc posted:

I suspect as an on the field thing you should just be happy that he's gone.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Winkie01 posted:

the piece of poo poo talked ill of the SEC may he rot in hell

He also consistently beat the SEC, at least recently.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I suspect as an on the field thing you should just be happy that he's gone.

Yeah that's true. We'll see what little babby Riley is made of now

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

buddhanc posted:

uh did you forget this past season

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 7, 2017

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about the cougs dunking on them to start the year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Woah

Is this effective immediately?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Woah

Is this effective immediately?

yep.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Big Game Bob is about to become Big Game Hunter Bob.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lol we'll see stoops in two years at Florida.

See ya dude, thanks for hiring Riley

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This obviously paves the way for him coming home to Iowa next year

Speaking of Ferentz is now the longest tenured coach, depending how you want to count Snyder and his little mini retirement. He got hired the day after Stoops in 99. I feel very old

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 7, 2017

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Meanwhile, Urban Meyer checks his phone and smirks.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Feldman just tweeted that Stoops' dad was 54 when he died from a heart attack while coaching a HS game. I'm guessing that has weighed heavily on him for a long time and a good reason for him to not push coaching for longer than he feels necessary.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo I had no idea Lincoln Riley was only 33 years old.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

*Sees a bunch of unread posts in the NCAA thread*
*Expects a heated BBQ discussion*
:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

same, goddamn

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dango Bango posted:

*Sees a bunch of unread posts in the NCAA thread*
*Expects a heated BBQ discussion*
:stare:

DJExile posted:

same, goddamn

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
How many co-eds did Stoops bang?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grittybeard posted:

He was the quarterback for my residence hall flag football team at tech. Lived down the hall from me. We absolutely wrecked shop and won the residence hall league although we lost in the overall flag football playoffs. I still have the INTRAMURAL CHAMPION shirt. We convinced him that he could walk onto the team and the rest is history.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So I guess this starts the 2017 Coaching carousel. This was about the same time that the carousel started last year with Art Briles' firing.

So, thread title suggestions for this year's thread?

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was the quarterback for my residence hall flag football team at tech. Lived down the hall from me. We absolutely wrecked shop and won the residence hall league although we lost in the overall flag football playoffs. I still have the INTRAMURAL CHAMPION shirt. We convinced him that he could walk onto the team and the rest is history.

Well, it'll be your fault if OU continues to beat down TTU for the next decade under Riley. All your fault. (not really your fault)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Switzer said Stoops was unpacking in his new office just last week. Still floored by this.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
In a few years Stoops will find out that he misses coaching, just in time to swoop in for the a&m job.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kayakyakr posted:

Well, it'll be your fault if OU continues to beat down TTU for the next decade under Riley. All your fault. (not really your fault)

See the real trouble is, I want him to succeed but at the same time hate OU. I also can't talk relentless poo poo to family members anymore now when BIG GAME BOB chokes another away.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

quote:

My guess is he got caught fuckin some little boy in the rear end in the shower. He can eat poo poo and die. Good riddance with that cocksucker.

That's what my buddy texted me when I asked him why he thought Stoops stepped down. His sister married a Stoops. He despises the whole family (except Mark, who he said is super cool).

Just a little bit of insight into how much of a prick Bob Stoops is even if he does put on a nice guy act.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Bob Stoops was probably a bit underrated as s coach, given his consistency and the fact that he won a Natty so early.

However, he did have a gift for making games against bad Texas teams competitive, so he will be missed during the Red River Shootout.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

blugu64 posted:

In a few years Stoops will find out that he misses coaching, just in time to swoop in for the a&m Notre Dame job.

Fixed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Bring back the lone star showdown

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
His dad is not buried in a Florida, A&M, or Notre Dame jersey, there is some very ignorant posting itt if you ask me

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
*Mark Stoops squints as the sudden burst of sunlight hits him as the shadow of his brother fades*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Scarf posted:

*Mark Stoops squints as the sudden burst of sunlight hits him as the shadow of his brother fades*

• Locked thread