Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

I went for a long walk and think that it's just the warriors have never had to do deal with a prime center and aren't built for it . It would be interesting to see what they would do if forced to adapt.

Just for reference Anthony Davis averaged 35 points with a 60% fg%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EvanTH posted:

how do I go about applying for that hoopshype job if I have no resume because I've been on disability since forever and no writing samples because i only post on forums

just show them this post

EvanTH posted:

Are the players from the past allowed to supplement their training regimens? Are they allowed an offseason or so to get up to speed with modern NBA practices? Do we travel back in time or forward in time to hold the match, and how does this affect the social lives during the downtime preparing for the game? ? Which team is awarded home-time advantage? Is it harder to teach the 80s Lakers to text, or more deprivation to keep the modern Warriors without smartphones or internet or advanced stats?

I bet Magic Johnson's relationship with his son is a million times better due to Magic being kinda forced to interact with the LGBT community and bond over issues of HIV stigma ("Good AIDS v. Bad AIDS was a real cultural phenomenon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xUjw2BCYE

If we send Magic back in time, does he use his knowledge of the future to take precautions and prevent the contraction of the virus? Does this mean he's less understanding of his son as a person once this experiment is complete? Are we destroying a beautiful relationship just for the sake of our own thought experiment? What kind of monsters are we?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DeimosRising posted:

Like can the Lakers abuse Curry by just posting up Magic 20 feet from the basket and letting him rear end bump him for the entire shot clock until he fouls out or gasses?

Your other points are good, but Curry wouldn't be guarding Magic. Klay and Iggy would.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Those gentlemen best just stay away from the hard streets of Fremont and Milpitas.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

IcePhoenix posted:

just show them this post

Yeah just start a blog real quick, turn your fav posts into blog posts with some funny images, and backdate that poo poo so it looks like you've been posting on it for years.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

predicto posted:

Those gentlemen best just stay away from the hard streets of Fremont and Milpitas.

i think you're joking but SF is hilariously unsafe place to be in a lot of areas, people get murdered at golden gate park like a lot

euphronius posted:

I went for a long walk and think that it's just the warriors have never had to do deal with a prime center and aren't built for it . It would be interesting to see what they would do if forced to adapt.

a 3 point attempt by the warriors is worth how many 2 pts again? like the warriors score 3.5 points for each time a center bangs his way slowly into a layup or whatever

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/MadBladder/status/872476448858165248

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

80 lakers had a 109 o rating.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I support all sports I'll put ANY jersey from ANY pro team if I'm whack for wearing jerseys they give me out of love then I'm Whack

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

80 lakers had a 109 o rating.

Against the stellar defenses of early 80s regular season NBA.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ammanas posted:

i think you're joking but SF is hilariously unsafe place to be in a lot of areas, people get murdered at golden gate park like a lot

a 3 point attempt by the warriors is worth how many 2 pts again? like the warriors score 3.5 points for each time a center bangs his way slowly into a layup or whatever

naive eV for a shot is just the point value times the team (or player's) percentage taking those shots. for the California Gun Shot Wounds a 3pt attempt is worth about 1.149 pts since they shot .383 from three this year.

Modern post-play doesn't usually go above like .8 for a post possession, but um
X x 2 = 1.149
X = .5745

You'd need to shoot a little better than 57.45% from two to match the Warriors three point shooting. Early 80s Lakers were around 51-53% from 2. This is "naive" because, among some other stuff, it doesn't account for fouls, which should supposedly be happening more frequently with 2p shots, and it doesn't account for the likelihood of a turnover which (I think?) decreases when you're not taking the ball into the post.

The Warriors this year had a few hundred less Turnovers per season than the Showtime Lakers, although the Lakers played at a much higher pace and I don't immediately have per-possession numbers to compare them directly, but just glancing at it I don't think it works out in the Lakers' favor.

But then again, basketball didn't have any Numbers back in the 80s so this might be an unfair discussion.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Kobe coming back out of retirement for last ring as the sixth man of that Spurs Super Team, confirmed

I want this more than anything :(. Kobe and Lebron on the same team is my dream.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

This isn't politics or the real world tho. Putin is a good guy in the sports universe because he bullied Robert Kraft and stole his superbowl ring

quote:

”I took out the ring and showed it to (Putin). And he put it on and he goes, `I can kill someone with this ring,”’ Kraft said, as quoted by the Post. ”I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.”

quote:

Putin said at an economic forum Friday he didn’t remember Kraft or the ring. But ”if it is so valuable to him,” Putin would order a piece of jewelry of precious metal and stones be made for Kraft.

Also he's pro-steroid like the rest of this forum

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
What the hell was the context of the Clippers making a jersey for Putin?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Putin is a good guy in the sports universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSsv4H3CL0M

Libertine posted:

Sterling heard that Putin was racist as gently caress.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lockback posted:

Against the stellar defenses of early 80s regular season NBA.

Also, the Warriors are outscoring a team that put up a 110.9 rating so I dunno what his point was

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/shahanLA/status/872520488357994496

gently caress you DAngelo

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I feel like the 2001 Lakers could take some games. The 99 Spurs have a really good matchup and I'd give them a game, maybe two.

The Warriors are going to smash every other team from that era or older.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ammanas posted:

Of course I was joking. It was a reference to the larger than usual percentage of the Indian diaspora living in the South Bay.

With that said, I live a few blocks from Golden Gate Park. My kids go to school in the Haight. I wander Golden Gate Park all the time. It's perfectly fine here. Quite nice actually. SF has a big homeless problem, and a drug problem that is shared by all American cities, but it is far from "hilariously unsafe."

There are about 50 homicides a year in San Francisco, and almost all of them occur in only 3 out of the 25 or so neighborhoods: the Tenderloin, the Inner Mission or Hunters Point. 50 homicides is a low figure for a very dense city of nearly 850,000 people (at least when measured on the violent American scale). That's quite a bit less than the total for other cities with equivalent populations like Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Columbus Ohio, and so forth.

And that's your news of the day. Don't be scared of cities.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The ratings for the finals are only going to get higher as people want to see a 16-0 against lebron and on the reverse side, seeing 16-0 get stopped

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lmao, and he met with the Lakers Org yesterday and is clearly parroting what they told him.

Luke Walton and the Lakers Org does not think highly of Russell.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Libertine posted:

Exhibition game vs. CSKA Moscow in 2006 (Prokhorov's team at that time?) back when Putin was just another corrupt European head of state who you give meaningless gifts and not the boogieman new-cold-war shorthand image for everything wrong in the world.

(Clips lost 94-75 lol)
edit: oh neat Ettore Messina was CSKA's coach at the time

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

George W Bush saw into Putin's soul and knew he was a good man. It was a different time, before cold war 2 started because Russia objected to regime change operations in Ukraine and then Syria. It was a time before popular finance blogs were put on an official list of Russian propaganda dupes for criticizing Hillary Clinton and various foreign wars. It was a better time, french touch and electro house were keeping clubs across the world banging, Mark thecobrasnake Hunter was taking pics of LA's coolest club attendees and Yvan Rodic was doing the same in Europe. It was a far better time (2006)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

George W Bush saw into Putin's soul and knew he was a good man.

hah I'd forgotten how regular that fella said silly things

quote:

"We had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of his soul. He's a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country and I appreciate very much the frank dialogue and that's the beginning of a very constructive relationship," Bush said.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

predicto posted:

Of course I was joking. It was a reference to the larger than usual percentage of the Indian diaspora living in the South Bay.

With that said, I live a few blocks from Golden Gate Park. My kids go to school in the Haight. I wander Golden Gate Park all the time. It's perfectly fine here. Quite nice actually. SF has a big homeless problem, and a drug problem that is shared by all American cities, but it is far from "hilariously unsafe."

There are about 50 homicides a year in San Francisco, and almost all of them occur in only 3 out of the 25 or so neighborhoods: the Tenderloin, the Inner Mission or Hunters Point. 50 homicides is a low figure for a very dense city of nearly 850,000 people (at least when measured on the violent American scale). That's quite a bit less than the total for other cities with equivalent populations like Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Columbus Ohio, and so forth.

And that's your news of the day. Don't be scared of cities.

The only truly awful part of SF is the Tenderloin

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sometimes I wonder if so many people are in love with the idea of San Francisco that they purposely ignore all the bad stuff around the city

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Glumslinger posted:

The only truly awful part of SF is the people who live there

Glad I was able to fix this, that was a weird typo

Just looking out for you!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

ah, the Jordan argument.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

George W Bush saw into Putin's soul and knew he was a good man. It was a different time, before cold war 2 started because Russia objected to regime change operations in Ukraine and then Syria. It was a time before popular finance blogs were put on an official list of Russian propaganda dupes for criticizing Hillary Clinton and various foreign wars. It was a better time, french touch and electro house were keeping clubs across the world banging, Mark thecobrasnake Hunter was taking pics of LA's coolest club attendees and Yvan Rodic was doing the same in Europe. It was a far better time (2006)

:allears:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

why does SF have such a bad homeless problem? I saw so many while I was there last week, more than I've seen in New York

in basketball: what adjustments are the Cavs going to make tonight? at the beginning of Game 2 I saw that LeBron was running a pick and roll with Love which was interesting. JR definitely isn't going to see time the rest of the series, I think

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My Point was prime kaj was more than some dim center who throws up bad post shots which inform most stats on post efficiency . He's a good offense on his own .

That 2001 lakers squad would def give the warriors problems .

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ammanas posted:

of course he's joking, milpitas and fremont (which are chock full of indian and asian immigrants and hence the joke) are two of the safest cities in the bay area. i'd be surprised if there were more than 20 murders between the two cities in the last decade.

even SF itself really isn't bad at all ime from the dozen or so times i've been there. i've walked through the tenderloin alone at night on several occasions and haven't been bothered even once. did see a lot of people just brazenly smoking crack right out in the open, which is uhh interesting.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EvanTH posted:

how do I go about applying for that hoopshype job if I have no resume because I've been on disability since forever and no writing samples because i only post on forums

Send them your post history and twitter account and put me as a reference, the honorable Nick will get you hired with his silver tongue

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

cougar cub posted:

Obligatory "gently caress the old players bullshit". Amin's comment that it is really only a basketball phenomenon to poo poo on current players and it's true and pretty annoying.

No one is talking about how the 80s oilers or 2000s red wings would sweep the pens.

It used to be around the MLB more but then Ken Griffey Jr., Bo Jackson, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire killed it. All these guys hitting 600 foot HRs and doing gymnastics on the field ended a lot of it.

So basically some guy will have to come along and start shooting 7/10 from halfcourt each game and then even all the old senile players will have to give it up.

Rad Valtar posted:

If they don't the Warriors are going to score 130 in the next two games and it will be an easy sweep. You can't run up and down with them when you have Kevin Love and TT you idiots. It would also help if TT and JR actually did anything at all.

We need a TON of those 100 foot Kevin Love passes and TT needs trampoline jumping shoes.

BWV posted:

Role players, even on great teams, always play significantly better at home.

Usually. Although Ryan Anderson at home. :laffo:

Lockback posted:

I mean, why not? You can't/don't want to rebuild yet you don't really have anyone developing, you're not a contender. Just stack the team with names and be fun & bad in the playoffs as a 6 seed.

Rondo, Wade and Carmelo doesn't sound like a playoff team though.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Carlosologist posted:

why does SF have such a bad homeless problem? I saw so many while I was there last week, more than I've seen in New York

Mild climate, decent social services, and a bunch of western towns with cheapass governments who decided their homeless assistance program would be a bus ticket to SF.

Also because you need to be a loving millionaire to actually afford rent there.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I hope we have a more competitive game next time cause it's about to be a dearth of watchable tv once the NBA/NHL is done. Twin Peaks and then GOT will hopefully tide me over.

Let's do a SAS NBA book club

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Carlosologist posted:

temperate climate and a relatively tolerant populace, i'd imagine. support systems are probably more robust than most cities, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

NickRoweFillea posted:

Send them your post history and twitter account and put me as a reference, the honorable Nick will get you hired with his silver tongue

I will definitely pretend to be someone else as a reference, and praise you in bombastic terms, Evan

• Locked thread