Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't imagine that being true, at least around here. These loving things sit 70-90% empty year round. How is it effective to charge one person $2200/mo for his 1Br and be surrounded by empty apartments when you could put up the exact same building, charge $600/mo and fill 30 apartments immediately? Is there some kind of bad developer subsidy?

The accounting value of the building is likely based on the level of rent that you can theoretically extract from it. For the company that owns it, if they drop the rents, the imputed value of the property would also reduce and that would gently caress up their balance sheet. They'd rather keep apartments empty than reduce the rents, fill the apartments but have their ratio of debt to collateral shoot up and breach their banking covenants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We just introduced what people are calling a "ghost tax" - 1% of the property's capital-improved value, applying to homes that are vacant for more than 6 months of the year. That would put more money in the city's coffers, if nothing else.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Memento posted:

We just introduced what people are calling a "ghost tax" - 1% of the property's capital-improved value, applying to homes that are vacant for more than 6 months of the year. That would put more money in the city's coffers, if nothing else.

Vancouver is doing that too I think.
There are a ton of op'eds in the paper from Chinese developers and other rich assholes with multiple houses complaining how it is unfair and it punishes them for being successful and owning more than one house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ianmacdo posted:

Vancouver is doing that too I think.
There are a ton of op'eds in the paper from Chinese developers and other rich assholes with multiple houses complaining how it is unfair and it punishes them for being successful and owning more than one house.

Well, yes, it does. OTOH why the gently caress would anyone, successful or not, need multiple personal homes in a single city? You're either a property speculator or running an Airbnb unlicensed uninsured hotel. Those guys are trying to enrich themselves by making the city suck a little bit more for everyone else, gently caress 'em.

If your cultural heritage measures success by property ownership you can still do that. Sell your extra Vancouver home(s) and buy a condo in Banff or something. Very famous location. Much prestige.

What we really need is a campaign to convince foreign buyers that, say, Lethbridge Alberta is the place to be. Plenty of room to expand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Can they get some sort of reimbursement though if their property is near any retirement homes or convalescence units, known hangouts of ghosts and spirits?

(this is a complaint that actually happened)

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

The article says it's not a deadly amount - but I want to know what that translates to in MSv, that's a more useful unit in comparing how bad it is.

http://www.radioactivity.eu.com/site/pages/Dose_Factors.htm

Inhaling Pu-239 is 140 mSv/kBq.

so 22 kBq is 3,080 mSv aka 3 Sieverts.

Feels around the area to get worried about (~17% chance of cancer)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't imagine that being true, at least around here. These loving things sit 70-90% empty year round. How is it effective to charge one person $2200/mo for his 1Br and be surrounded by empty apartments when you could put up the exact same building, charge $600/mo and fill 30 apartments immediately? Is there some kind of bad developer subsidy?

that's just a market miscalculation. vacancy rates will drop eventually, or rents will. big developers who throw up luxury buildings can afford to play chicken with the market for a while

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPMfHUIVvk
Video of a scuba diver in the St. Clair River in Michigan encountering a stealth freighter.

Aren't you supposed to put up a buoy with a special flag on it when diving, specifically so that this doesn't happen?

Also probably don't go diving in a shipping lane.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Sagebrush posted:

Aren't you supposed to put up a buoy with a special flag on it when diving, specifically so that this doesn't happen?

You're not my supervisor.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Maxwells Demon posted:

Doesn't plutonium also cause heavy metal poisoning effects similar to lead and mercury? I wonder what PPE they were/weren't using.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That time I went a little early to look at a used Ford Escape and the owner was pouring gasoline on the engine to "clean" it

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing

Maxwells Demon posted:

Keep in mind that conversion is also a CEDE, committed effective dose equivalent, over a 50-year lifespan. It's the estimated worst case provided maximum retention. There could also be higher activity contaminants in their death dust.

If it was all plutonium, that could work out to be between 5.8ng to 151mg of inhaled material.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Memento posted:

I hope it doesn't apply to properties being actively renovated. A dilapidated mess can take a lot more than 6 months to fix right so now you're just encouraging half-assed flips.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

bzw posted:

Keep in mind that conversion is also a CEDE, committed effective dose equivalent, over a 50-year lifespan. It's the estimated worst case provided maximum retention. There could also be higher activity contaminants in their death dust.

If it was all plutonium, that could work out to be between 5.8ng to 151mg of inhaled material.

Yeah and even if the worst-case happens, because it's spread out over such a long time it's nowhere near the same as getting blasted with it all at once.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Saw this whilst out on a walk today. I can't decide if I'm the ladders holding that loving mess of a rope system in place or the catch netting at the bottom that the dude is not dangling over.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
God bless my home town.

Fewer Jakartans die from construction accidents than do from lung cancer. We know where to put our public safety and healthcare dollars!

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Sagebrush posted:

He has anchored himself to the bottom, so pretty sure he knew exactly what would happen.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Caufman posted:

God bless my home town.

Fewer Jakartans die from construction accidents than do from lung cancer. We know where to put our public safety and healthcare dollars!

You should play this up for american libertarians. lots of investment potential!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The article says it's not a deadly amount - but I want to know what that translates to in MSv, that's a more useful unit in comparing how bad it is.

That's a *really* tiny amount. It's only a couple times higher than the total amount of natural activity in their bodies from radiocarbon and radiopotassium. It's relatively bad because it's an inhaled dose, but these guys are probably going to die of something else before anything radiation-related happens to them. If it had been an ingested dose, it'd be basically harmless.

For comparison, the US did some grossly immoral experiments in the mid 1940s where it secretly injected subjects with amounts of plutonium ranging from 5-95 milligrams. These patients were mostly suffering from existing diseases, 8 of the 18 lived for at least a decade, six lived until their 70s and four lived until their 80s. 10 of them died from the diseases they were initially being treated from, including the four who died of cancer.

glynnenstein posted:

Doesn't plutonium also cause heavy metal poisoning effects similar to lead and mercury?

Pu239 has a specific activity of 2.3 GBq/gram, so 22kBq is 9.6 micrograms. Even dimethylmercury has an LD50 of ~50 ug/kg.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Pistol_Pete posted:

The accounting value of the building is likely based on the level of rent that you can theoretically extract from it. For the company that owns it, if they drop the rents, the imputed value of the property would also reduce and that would gently caress up their balance sheet. They'd rather keep apartments empty than reduce the rents, fill the apartments but have their ratio of debt to collateral shoot up and breach their banking covenants.

:capitalism:

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing

Phanatic posted:

For comparison, the US did some grossly immoral experiments in the mid 1940s where it secretly injected subjects with amounts of plutonium ranging from 5-95 milligrams. These patients were mostly suffering from existing diseases, 8 of the 18 lived for at least a decade, six lived until their 70s and four lived until their 80s. 10 of them died from the diseases they were initially being treated from, including the four who died of cancer.

Finding out about this type of business is horrifying and fascinating, considering that they were probably hoping for much more deterministic data.

Phanatic posted:

Pu239 has a specific activity of 2.3 GBq/gram, so 22kBq is 9.6 micrograms. Even dimethylmercury has an LD50 of ~50 ug/kg.

Is there a good source for transuranic chemical toxicity?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I keep looking at this and thinking; "What is their ultimate goal here?"

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hah! Fill 'er up, move smaller truck, whatever falls out is fine, shut doors, probably dump in woods somewhere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Literally A Person posted:

Tires are piled up too high in the truck to get out from the bottom, so lower truck provides a work platform. I assume they'll get the highest tires out then move the lower truck and get the rest out. Or they're doing the opposite, filling the truck, in which case you want to be as high or higher than the things you're piling in.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That honestly doesn't look unsafe to me, unless you're not supposed to be on top of a truck like that.

They're not lifting anything dangerously and a truck is a pretty stable platform.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Literally A Person posted:

To make their work less tiring.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bzw posted:

There's a surprising number of peer reviewed studies out there considering the elements in question don't exist in nature (at least, in measurable or expose-able quantity), but it's going to be really hard to develop a body of literature regarding elemental compounds that are only created in a laboratory setting. It's crazy expensive, hilarious ethical concerns, and not of much practical value beyond curiosity. You're never going to need to address the issue in the population at large.

Iksander
Jul 25, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

That honestly doesn't look unsafe to me, unless you're not supposed to be on top of a truck like that.

They're not lifting anything dangerously and a truck is a pretty stable platform.

It doesn't look too bad in the grand scheme of this thread but here's the list I can see.

1) A-Frame ladders aren't supposed to be used that way, it should be opened all the way.
2) Standing on the second to top step of an A-Frame ladder. Second to top and top steps are a no-go for standing/climbing.
3) Assuming they used that ladder to scale the truck, ladder doesn't extend 3 feet past the surface you're climbing on to.
4) The Duty Rating for that ladder is probably around 225 lbs. So the guy + clothes + tires may be pushing that limit.

Once again, pretty minor stuff compared to everything else we've seen here but still not OSHA approved.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Iksander posted:

Once again, pretty minor stuff compared to everything else we've seen here but still not OSHA approved.

Don't you also need to be tied off if you're more than 4 feet off the ground, or am I confusing my regulations?

Iksander
Jul 25, 2007

ulmont posted:

Don't you also need to be tied off if you're more than 4 feet off the ground, or am I confusing my regulations?

Good catch. The limit is 6 feet tall but yes; They need guard rails, safety nets or personal fall arrest systems.

And maybe hard hats for people who aren't on top, because something could fall off the top of the van.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Power Bottom posted:

This seems useful.

e; wrong picture

This seems like a pretty sweet place for teenage hoodlums to hang out.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
it's osha if he did it at work i guess?

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I've been printing fidget spinners for fun and practice with settings etc. Pro tip: don't chooch a PLA spinner up past ~4000 rpm with an air gun, I'm posting from the doc's office. The bearing on one of the legs absolutely exploded out and gave me a nice laceration.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Mmm, there's someone who has never seen an apprentice mechanic twist his finger off by putting a bearing over it and spinning it up with an air gun until it seized.

I was an idiot apprentice at the same time (1997) so I didn't know any better. Fun day at the workshop.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Mmm, there's someone who has never seen an apprentice mechanic twist his finger off by putting a bearing over it and spinning it up with an air gun until it seized.

I was an idiot apprentice at the same time (1997) so I didn't know any better. Fun day at the workshop.

pic of fingat?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhkcTt97I-0

How to cure a hangover.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bzw posted:

Assume it's analogous to lead. Same mechanism of health effects, similar metallic chemistry.

At that point it's dangerous to children always or adults in chronic exposure circumstances. If you keep your kid away from the plutonium and avoid ripping a bag of plutonium open every other day you should be ok.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dillbag posted:

pic of fingat?

he went to hostpital

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Memento posted:

he went to hostpital

Will you post mote later?