Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

By god he has a family

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I could see him coaching Florida if McElwain sucks this year or gets caught loving another shark.

I could, but I'm not sure I'm into UF becoming a coaching twilight rerun arena like South Carolina.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I could, but I'm not sure I'm into UF becoming a coaching twilight rerun arena like South Carolina.

Stoops coming in to at least stop the bleeding and get the recruiting back up near the top of the conference would probably be nice (although maybe they're recruiting better now? I don't pay that close of attention to it outside the Big Ten). He's also really good at coordinator hires so he could probably set you up with a nice succession plan and get the offense away from being the poor man's Alabama that so many teams in the SEC insist on being despite that being the absolute worst way to actually beat Alabama.

He's also not THAT old (he was under 40 when he got the OU job) so in theory it doesn't need to be a super short term thing

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 8, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Big Game Bob will be the guy that runs Ferentz out of town

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So many coaches hold on for dear life that it can make it harder to believe others would give it up before whatever arbitrary age makes sense to truly retire.

He probably had his fill, knew his dad died on the field, and said enough was enough.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Big Game Bob will be the guy that runs Ferentz out of town

I'm not sure he would want to go from one flyover state to another

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

I'm not sure he would want to go from one flyover state to another

He's from Ohio and he and two brothers played at Iowa. His wife is from Iowa and is still a huge Iowa fan. If Ferentz didn't have his dumb contract it's definitely something that would be in play but alas

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 8, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

He probably has more money than he could reasonably spend, so he is set for life there. Good on him for getting out while he is physically and mentally able to have fun with the rest of his time.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Dabo Swinney has beaten every active National Championship winning coach

Truly the darkest timeline.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

pillsburysoldier posted:

Dabo Swinney has beaten every active National Championship winning coach

False, he hasn't beaten a Swinney-coached team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

This seems demonstrably false.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

clemsoning did not become a thing by accident

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Back in the old days when Donald Duck could IRL fight your mascot and everybody cheers him on because you're a cupcake from Conference USA.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Grittybeard posted:

This seems demonstrably false.

MourningView posted:

clemsoning did not become a thing by accident

He did keep playing Cole Stoudt over Deshaun Watson that one year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

Back in the old days when Donald Duck could IRL fight your mascot and everybody cheers him on because you're a cupcake from Conference USA.

Also because a cheerful cartoon duck throwing hands (wings?) is inherently very funny

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Korranus posted:

In the actual old days Oregon was also a cupcake.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RumbleFish posted:

Truly the dankest timeline.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

He probably has more money than he could reasonably spend, so he is set for life there.

You've never got more money than you can spend, Tommy Tuberville has some great investment opportunities.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Blake Gideon

How dare you speak his name.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
With Bob retiring and Riley being promoted to head coach, what's the future look like for Mike Stoops? He's had head coaching experience, so does being (justifiably) passed over make him feel snubbed? I would have to think he doesn't feel as safe now, even if Bob stays around the program.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Former Indiana WR James Hardy III was found dead today in the Maumee River in his hometown of Ft. Wayne, IN. :(

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

With Bob retiring and Riley being promoted to head coach, what's the future look like for Mike Stoops? He's had head coaching experience, so does being (justifiably) passed over make him feel snubbed? I would have to think he doesn't feel as safe now, even if Bob stays around the program.

I'm sure he'll peace out and go work for his other brother.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hello Towel posted:

Former Indiana WR James Hardy III was found dead today in the Maumee River in his hometown of Ft. Wayne, IN. :(

I saw that, so sad. I don't know if anyone who wasn't an Indiana or iowa fan really remembers him now, but he was an absolute monster. I don't think there's ever been a opposing player who scared me more. He just absolutely destroyed Iowa single handedly every time we played them. If anyone remembers that period where my gimmick was "guy who talks about hating Adam Shada a lot" James Hardy was the biggest reason why.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

I saw that, so sad. I don't know if anyone who wasn't an Indiana or iowa fan really remembers him now, but he was an absolute monster. I don't think there's ever been a opposing player who scared me more. He just absolutely destroyed Iowa single handedly every time we played them. If anyone remembers that period where my gimmick was "guy who talks about hating Adam Shada a lot" James Hardy was the biggest reason why.

Yeah, he was definitely one of the best in recent IU history. He had been having a lot of legal and personal issues since he got dropped from the NFL. Really unfortunate.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I see we've already forgotten about that Orange Bowl...

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sab0921 posted:

If the playoffs were around, I think the opinion of him would be wildly different. He likely would have made 6 playoff appearances (2000, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2015)

Add 2007 but drop 2010 imo. In 2007 we were #3 in the AP/#4 BCS before bowl season having just stomped the #1 team in Mizzou. On the other hand in 2010 Oregon, Auburn, and TCU were all undefeated and Stanford/Ohio State/Wisconsin/Michigan State/Boise State all had 1 loss while we had 2.

As to all the speculation about Bob coming back in a year or two? I don't really see it. Bob seemed really tired the last few years and he was never the megolomaniac of the football field like a Saban or Meyer.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PostNouveau posted:

How dare you speak his name.

Are Texas fans triggered every time they open a hotel nightstand drawer?

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I think he lasts the year and then quietly gets told to retire or find another job unless he coaches a dominant squad (not likely). I could honestly see him taking a low-mid G5 job or maybe going to work with Mark.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
An interesting stat I saw today: Georgia Tech's Dedrick Mills had the lowest percentage of rushes for zero or negative yards of all RBs in the Power 5 last season, at 5.9%. The second-lowest was Texas Tech's Da’Leon Ward at 7.8%.

Mills was a true freshman :getin:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think Bob will stay retired. Dude doesnt want to be his dad and die on the field at 55

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

An interesting stat I saw today: Georgia Tech's Dedrick Mills had the lowest percentage of rushes for zero or negative yards of all RBs in the Power 5 last season, at 5.9%. The second-lowest was Texas Tech's Da’Leon Ward at 7.8%.

Mills was a true freshman :getin:

So was Ward :getin:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

I remember him kicking our secondary's rear end

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think Bob will stay retired. Dude doesnt want to be his dad and die on the field at 55

Well he's 56 so mission accomplished

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

Don't forget Cole Stoudt absolutely stunted on OU that year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Scarf posted:

Don't forget Cole Stoudt absolutely stunted on OU that year.

I'm not convinced that the Cole Stoudt I saw in the Russell Athletic Bowl was the same Cole Stoudt I saw in Bobby Dodd Stadium that year.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

I'm not convinced that the Cole Stoudt I saw in the Russell Athletic Bowl was the same Cole Stoudt I saw in Bobby Dodd Stadium that year.

:ssh:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

pillsburysoldier posted:

Only 3 games till Watson tore his ACL. Watson is of course the GOAT and beat SCAR on one leg.

Stout then went on to put up 40 on Big Game Bob

e;fb

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/873260595558195201

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Monte's kids just can't stop committing NCAA violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If it buries Ole Miss, its cool by me.

• Locked thread