Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heffer posted:

Shen shrinks the team down so we can go inside Tygen and fight off all the advent burger cholesterol.

Brings whole new meaning to Bradford's fear of close range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Iron Crowned posted:

I hope there's morally questionable genetic engineering this time around.

Absolutely. SPARKS need to be better as well

Also expansion mechanics are going to push this game over the edge. Time to wipe all my mods in anticipation.

Also hoping LW2 is day 1 compatible.

Also make the timers more interesting.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bogart posted:

No, Inner Space. :colbert:

The correct opinion.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hope the expansion doesn't set back the Guerilla War dude much, because I'm far more interested in that.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bolow posted:

Hope the expansion doesn't set back the Guerilla War dude much, because I'm far more interested in that.

Nah, my hope is it just gives me more poo poo to work with. My mods are largely compartmentalised too so I'm reasonably confident that unless the XPack fucks with all mods real bad, it shouldn't actually set me back much.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fishmen expansion?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

hope they make the end game of vanilla worth playing

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pomp posted:

XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM

*beheads sectoid while screaming incoherently*

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I like to imagine there's a universe in which XCOM soldiers act like EDF's.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
To save our mother Earth from any alien attack!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean I think by Xcom 2 any illusion that Xcom isn't filled with a bunch of psychopaths is gone. You're straight up skinning the aliens and decorating your base with their corpses.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean I think by Xcom 2 any illusion that Xcom isn't filled with a bunch of psychopaths is gone. You're straight up skinning the aliens and decorating your base with their corpses.

We stopped explicitly torturing them at least.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
IDK guys, the aliens are turning people by the tens of thousands into goo to make their warriors. Pretty sure XCOM still has the moral upper hand.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

*beheads sectoid while screaming incoherently*

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So I did the advent base raid, which was a huge slog, but I managed it without TOO many injuries. However, I didn't realize that would kick off the Advent Timer. I've analyzed a codex brain and built the shadow chamber, but the Advent Blacksite, which I believe is the next story beat (unless I find a codex to skulljack), is 3 lattice links away.

So I've had to absolutely scramble, making contact, selling off as much as I can to build radio relays / resistance comms, and have JUST managed to get to the western US and the Advent Blacksite. I've got 1 day until the next supply drop, and only 3 pips left until the Avatar project is complete.

I'm....pretty sure that if I focus on progressing the story missions I can stall the avatar bar juuust enough to stave off a game over, but it's added a huge level to tension to the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Suspicious posted:

IDK guys, the aliens are turning people by the tens of thousands into goo to make their warriors. Pretty sure XCOM still has the moral upper hand.

You say that like Xcom wouldn't melt down all the aliens given the chance. At least Advent never deployed soldiers wearing human skin suits to make you panic.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

McKilligan posted:

So I did the advent base raid, which was a huge slog, but I managed it without TOO many injuries. However, I didn't realize that would kick off the Advent Timer. I've analyzed a codex brain and built the shadow chamber, but the Advent Blacksite, which I believe is the next story beat (unless I find a codex to skulljack), is 3 lattice links away.

So I've had to absolutely scramble, making contact, selling off as much as I can to build radio relays / resistance comms, and have JUST managed to get to the western US and the Advent Blacksite. I've got 1 day until the next supply drop, and only 3 pips left until the Avatar project is complete.

I'm....pretty sure that if I focus on progressing the story missions I can stall the avatar bar juuust enough to stave off a game over, but it's added a huge level to tension to the game.

I'd say you've got a pretty good shot at getting it done in time. Also the avatar project pips filling up starts the project timer, which will partially reset if you do anything to reduce the avatar progress. The project timer gets shorter each time it fills but you can keep on hitting black sites to keep it down for awhile.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Internet Kraken posted:

At least Advent never deployed soldiers wearing human skin suits

Considering what the Advent Troopers end up being compared to what you're supposed to assume at first, I dunno about this part

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

McKilligan posted:

Liberating a region doesn't actually start the Avatar project pips, it just makes them visible. It's actually possible to have it complete without being visible, if you just ignore liberation.

That said, I think you can do it. Having the shadow chamber will point you towards various ways to reduce avatar pips, and if you have any facility leads you can research them to find Avatar facilities to further slow the project (though you still have to contact the region they're in). However, be warned that infiltrating Avatar missions takes longer the less liberation progress you've made in a region, which can mean you have to tie up your A team for quite awhile if you want to do one in a region you just contacted.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Is there a mod that increases the appearance of Muton's and Vipers, kind of like Elite versions, like the ADVENT mooks have? It's just super weird that those 2 enemy types just drop off the face of the earth in the latter 1/3rd of the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In my campaigns I've felt like I ran into a fair number of both of them. Berserkers and chyrsalids are the two enemies I basically never see throughout the game.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Real War, eh? Hm. I wonder what that could mean. Post final mission stuff, with Elders invading?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zomborgon posted:

I like to imagine there's a universe in which XCOM soldiers act like EDF's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AszJrHskyRU

But yes, I'd love to see EDF poo poo get modded into XCOM.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd be really disappointed if it was a separate campaign and not content worked into the base one to improve the experience. I liked that a lot about Enemy Within.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This looks so bad I almost thought it was parody. Adding a loading screen and some stiff, boring cutscenes of the characters simply approaching each other onto every attack is definitely what strategy games needed.
I played the original EDF way back when, and I at least have memories of that being pretty good.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

This looks so bad I almost thought it was parody. Adding a loading screen and some stiff, boring cutscenes of the characters simply approaching each other onto every attack is definitely what strategy games needed.
I played the original EDF way back when, and I at least have memories of that being pretty good.

That would because that's a spinoff title, whereas I presume you've played one of the main series games that looks more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n74lpBgUJxQ

(It's kinda baffling how those games exist for the same system considering one seems to have the far more technically demanding task but exceeds far better at it.)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
My bet is on a scenario that takes place after the vanilla game, just because of that underwater cinematic you get after the last mission.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Internet Kraken posted:

At least Advent never deployed soldiers wearing human skin suits to make you panic.

DIDN'T YOU FUCKIN' EVER ENCOUNTER A SINGLE FACELESS

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
There's hard, and then there's just stupidly loving sadistic.

What the gently caress, LW2. These assholes just teleported in AFTER I'd got done wiping out ANOTHER 16+ double pod. I need to be more suspicious about missions that don't have infiltration timers or troop limits - I brought along all my best, and holy gently caress it still wasn't NEARLY enough, there's nothing you can do when there's THAT MANY targets out there.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

That was part of why I thought Alien Hunters was particularly dumb. It wasn't really a thing until then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

You're probably not the most mentally sound person if you're fighting Mutons in hot pants. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Backhand posted:

That was part of why I thought Alien Hunters was particularly dumb. It wasn't really a thing until then.

The base game has you render down corpses to make drugs out of them.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I want my secret mountain base back

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

The base game has you render down corpses to make drugs out of them.

To be fair, literally everything the Aliens do is grotesque and perverse and shows no regard for the sanctity of the human body in any form or fashion, so gently caress these guys

look look this german chick built a giant bottle to keep them in look

when I push the button I zap him

its funny

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I was thinking I'd like the Foundry combined with Tygan's normal stuff. Give the main projects -- better guns, resistance broadcasts -- a slightly longer timer, but fit in things like the Skullmine as a "side project:" something for our good good bald boy to work on in his off time. Or just make the Foundry an alternate workshop upgrade.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, having played a lot of XCOM 2 over the past few weeks, Tygan totally rules and is now my favorite character in the game.

Dude did brain surgery on himself and pulled a chip out of the back of his own head with a pair of pliers. And despite half of Lily's dialogue being some flavor of 'I don't trust Tygan', dude never rises to the bait and is chill and competent as hell.

Plus his reactions to Vahlen's... everything is great.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I love Tygan. Want him to get a mission where he straps on power armor and picks up a mini gun. His firing face would be great. :E

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

Also, having played a lot of XCOM 2 over the past few weeks, Tygan totally rules and is now my favorite character in the game.

Dude did brain surgery on himself and pulled a chip out of the back of his own head with a pair of pliers. And despite half of Lily's dialogue being some flavor of 'I don't trust Tygan', dude never rises to the bait and is chill and competent as hell.

Plus his reactions to Vahlen's... everything is great.

I like how just about every reaction is just "why would you ever do this".

"Why would you let the snake aliens bang"
"Why would you let the snake man be psychic"
"Why would you make an even bigger berserker"
"Why would you make better armor for archons"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
shut up tygan, plug me into the anime-haired psychic teenager, we're doing this