Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Yuri/Helga thing seemed awkward. Yuri hesitantly looks over to where Ray Wise is gesturing and instead of something really cool it's a bunch of Eastern Europeans in b&w. I know what they represent, but the way it came out made me think there was another scene that didn't fit time or budgetary constraints so they went with a bunch of extras in period clothing and a b&w filter.

And I'm still pissed there's no explanation about the fake cop running out the door. This show doesn't have continuity errors. Watched the scene again and it still doesn't make any sense. It'll make more sense if he reappears because he's a magical Gollum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

Especially Gloria's story; it just seems thrown in haphazardly, and I really like her character and wish we could see more.

Her story has been stretched so thin you could make carbon nanotubes out of it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Gloria is in the process of collapsing all of her carefully tended quantum waveforms so surely she will burn that uncertainty into pure magic power (to fight off Alien Varga)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Krispy Kareem posted:

It'll make more sense if he reappears because he's a magical Gollum.

I would bet literal money this will happen. The way he was so easily decapitated (made of clay?) and being literally named The Golem makes me like 99% sure he's going to come back in the big showdown scene because he's a Terminator.

Him and Mr. Wrench might have a really cool fight scene, if we're lucky.

"LOOKING FOR U"
"LOOKING FOR US"
"SORRY"

drat I love Nikki/Wrench.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's a sad commentary when the most exciting part of season 3 is the introduction of a minor character from the second-best season of the series who didn't even have any lines.

Still a good show, just not as good.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's a sad commentary when the most exciting part of season 3 is the introduction of a minor character from the second-best season of the series who didn't even have any lines.

Still a good show, just not as good.

Yeah it'd be sad to be a trained seal barking at shapes I recognize but thankfully I enjoy the absurdity of the new season in its terms.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

"LOOKING FOR U"
"LOOKING FOR US"
"SORRY"

drat I love Nikki/Wrench.

I didnt get this part. Why did she write sorry?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I didnt get this part. Why did she write sorry?
Because they were after her and he was chained to her. Thus when they get her they get him.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

WhiteHowler posted:

So did Yuria make it out of the bowling alley/afterlife/whatever, or is he still out looking for Nikki and Mr. Wrench three months later?

Much like someone missing Emmett palming those drugs, Yury is also dead. When the cops are loving with him at the hospital, they bring up poison, and say 'Just like that Russian guy' when referring to Sy. The vodka was poisoned.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Justin Credible posted:

Much like someone missing Emmett palming those drugs, Yury is also dead. When the cops are loving with him at the hospital, they bring up poison, and say 'Just like that Russian guy' when referring to Sy. The vodka was poisoned.
I heard that, but in next episodes preview you see someone holding Yuri's whip/club thing. It could be him, but could be not. If he was poisoned like Sy, he may still be alive.

Born_to_Lose
Oct 26, 2007

Justin Credible posted:

I assumed the "russian guy" they were referring to was this guy:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Ah yeah I never watch the previews, so I'm just going off the text of the show and that's how it read to me. Poison was some strong poo poo, put him at death's edge quick enough for that tundra shot.

And that other guy would be a pretty deep pull unless they previously referenced him and I missed it?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I encourage everyone to read a thorough recap/review online of any episodes that you just don't watch or listen to.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pretty sure the only indication to Yuri's fate that we're given is when Emmitt is talking to Varga about Yuri never coming back in. He's in the wind.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Loved how last time people complained about magical villains and this episode we were shown in detail how they pulled the bus attack off. Yuri only walked on the road to distract the driver, so that he wouldn't spot the ramp in time.

Born_to_Lose posted:

I assumed the "russian guy" they were referring to was this guy:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko

Or maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Yushchenko

Basically, don't drink any fluids in Russia/Ukraine if you are on some politician's shitlist

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Divine intervention by a literal Jewish Wizard.

Loved it

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the wizard you all are referring to?

frenton posted:

Paul Marrane, the guy in the bowling alley.

With his latest appearance and some of the metaphors we can extrapolate, what is to be made of his interactions with Gloria earlier in the season? I can't figure that part out.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Ray Wise makes a great president
Ray Wise makes a great devil
Ray Wise makes a great insane father
Ray Wise makes a great vengeful rabbi from beyond the grave

I love Ray Wise, and I love Fargo

vermin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 9, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Even though what we got for Yuri's fate (so far anyway, but I agree, he is dead) was great, I remember thinking at the time that random death by an arrow through the head shot by an amateur hunter who mistook him for an actual wolf would have been awesome and very acceptable to me anyway.

And funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Meemo doing capoeira was another highlight of the episode

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So I'm catching up on this quickly and I have two thoughts 1) Carrie Coon is awesome and still as dreamy as hell in this, 2) Holy poo poo David Thewlis owns. Fargo is so good at creating these horrible villains that steal every scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, while I understand some of the complaints about this season, I don't get the complaints about Varga. Thewlis is killing it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Having recently watched Wonder Woman, I can only assume that season 3 is a complicated set-up/tie-in to the JLA movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I get that Fargo wears its influences on its sleeve but having the hired goons who assault the prison bus be wearing the exact same animal masks as the hired goons from You're Next felt really shameless and unimaginative. Especially when they both had the same basic storyline of a bunch of professional killers having the tables turned on them when one of their targets winds up secretly being hyper-competent and experienced.

Kragger99 posted:

Also, when they first saw the bowling alley lights, I was wondering if that was a spaceship (due the the aliens thing earlier in this thread). But the Cohen Bros bowling alley scene was too confusing/out there for me. I'm not deep thinker, so this was just lost on me :(

Not to toot my own horn but I actually had the opposite complain, I didn't like that they had to have Ray Wise do the "It looks like a bowling alley to you? :smuggo:" thing just to make absolutely sure that the audience knew there was some metaphorical magical realism afoot. At least in season 1 when Malvo cracked about not having eaten an apple like that since the garden of Eden he was explicitly loving with somebody.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I thought they were actually pulling from Hotline Miami, I mean they had it even down to the jacket.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

precision posted:

Yeah, while I understand some of the complaints about this season, I don't get the complaints about Varga. Thewlis is killing it.

Mmhm. The thoughts on him being omnipresent are still weird to me, as each season's had it's impossibly competent baddie. From Malvo or Hansee, folks who are unrealistically good at the bad they do is a staple of the series.

drat that Ray Wise reveal was perfect. 20 minutes of tension, spontaneous violence, and action met with a minute of downtime and that slow pan. I think the last time I saw something that satisfying was season 2's War Pig's scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

I thought they were actually pulling from Hotline Miami, I mean they had it even down to the jacket.

I assumed it was either this, or wherever Hotline Miami stole it from (no idea if they did those specific masks and outfit first)

Pretty cool reference if so. It wouldn't surprise me if Noah was a gamer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I assumed it was either this, or wherever Hotline Miami stole it from (no idea if they did those specific masks and outfit first)

If you've never seen You're Next you really should, it's a great bloody little thriller. Like an R-rated Home Alone, or a reverse slasher movie,

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh I've seen it, but I didn't know it predated Hotline Miami, and also had forgotten that they used the same masks :downs:

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
You're Next is good but it did not invent the parallel between murderous humans and predatory animals.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
While I thought of Hotline Miami with the animal masks I assumed they were more going for the fairy tale allegory thing.

Like someone else said, I would have actually liked it if Yuri got randomly killed by hunters because he decided to wear a realistic wolf mask because he thought it made him look cool.

Like others, I also thought them talking about severe poisoning "like that Russian guy" was a reference to real-life critics of Russia who get poisoned recently. Remember this seasons is still not actually set in the present and comments like that are one of the things they do to set the time frame, just like people would reference 70s stuff in season 2. Might feel like an obscure reference if you don't know when it's set but to the characters it's current affairs they would naturally talk about.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol at everyone that thinks this seasons isnt peaking.

fargo is peaking all the time, every moment of every episode. i feel bad for you that you cant enjoy it and instead post long worded stuff on the internet about the specifics of why you can't expiereince that

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

i feel bad for you that you cant enjoy it and instead post long worded stuff on the internet about the specifics of why you can't expiereince that

Only an intellectual could believe something so stupid.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

KoRMaK posted:

lol at everyone that thinks this seasons isnt peaking.

fargo is peaking all the time, every moment of every episode. i feel bad for you that you cant enjoy it and instead post long worded stuff on the internet about the specifics of why you can't expiereince that

Fargo gently caress yourself.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Let me tell you something, Fargo hasn't even begun to peak. And when it does peak, you'll know. Because it's gonna peak so hard that everybody in America's gonna feel it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I hope the next episode is in 2020 so we can see if Trump made Fargo great again.

MFGA.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

I hope the next episode is in 2020 so we can see if Trump made Fargo great again.

MFGA.

It's about to get weirder, though, since Lisa Simpson gets elected in 2020 after Trump bankrupts the country.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
What do you think Vargus's purging and picking his teeth bloody mean about his character? Does it tie into him being the wolf from Peter and the Wolf and Yuri's animal masks?

He made comments about that guy's wife being fat implying she was a slut earlier, but the bulimia shows he also has a problem with impulses. He's also humiliated and nearly killed Sy using food. Is this a theme or am I staring at tea leaves here?

Also I love Hotline Miami so it doesn't bother me at all and makes me like Fargo even more.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

precision posted:

The animal masks plus Yuri's letterman jacket is very Hotline Miami, and it was the first thing to combine those two motifs that I'm aware of. But that game was more heavily informed by the scene in Drive where Driver puts on the full-head silicon mask and stands menacingly in the doorway of the restaurant before stalking Ron Perlman.

But I don't know, maybe there's a connection but Yuri's the only character with a varsity jacket. I do have to admit though, every single time I see any character in any media now wearing a varsity jacket and they're not specifically meant to be a high school football player I assume it's a Hotline Miami reference.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How about this season of Fargo having nothing to do with Fargo so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Harminoff posted:

How about this season of Fargo having nothing to do with Fargo so far?

Stussy: I've been a victim in all this
Burgle: If you hadn't turned yourself in, they'd probably kill ya. I wonder how Far they'd Go.

• Locked thread