Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Looper posted:

What if we don't make tons of coy furry jokes all the time

Not all the time? Okay fine, every second Sunday we'll have a mawratorium.

Edit: A hamnesty. An embeargo. A defurral.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A badger-nment. An int-serval. A hyen-atus. An interregnum.

All pun-makers will be fur-loughed for the day.

(If you're worried about my proclawvity for animal puns I'd take that up with my therianpist... or my pouncellor)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
*insert pun involving genitalia here*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
can we not make this thread about kink?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Uh I'm pretty sure this thread is about great animated films (and some that aren't so great)!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

DoctorWhat posted:

can we not make this thread about kink?

I mean, like... animators.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Looper posted:

What if we don't make tons of coy furry jokes all the time

Setter down and stop trying to malamute us! It isn't a crime to dig up good puns, engage in dog gerel, or retriever old jokes. You might be terrierorized, but the rest of us are having a howling good time. Did it ever occur to you that you could get involved?

So sit, stay, and beg for more!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
New trailer for Coco, fresh off the grill

http://deadline.com/2017/06/coco-trailer-disney-pixar-day-of-the-dead-movie-thanksgiving-1202109342/

Thoughts: I... don't know. There honestly isn't that much new in this trailer from the first one (there's only about 30 seconds of new footage and I'm being generous), and I'm not any more convinced than I was when I saw the first trailer. I dunno. The animation looks top-notch and there will probably be a few standout characters, but it just doesn't feel fresh. And it's not even the Book of Life comparison that does it in, although that's prominently visible. It's just the blatant Pixar "character gets lost in fantastic world and has to find its way home" plot that's been done so many times.

Then again, since only about 90 seconds of the movie have been released, there could be a lot left they're not showing us.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 8, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'm honestly really hyped for this movie 100% because I'm totally in love with the Day of the Dead aesthetic in anything

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pixar isn't very good at trailers. I haaaated both the Ratatouille and Inside Out initial trailers and those are probably my two favourite Pixar movies.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not Pixar, but I remember completely writing off Emperor's New Groove out of being disgusted with its trailer.

I eventually caught it on video years later and realized what an idiot I was, but this was a thing that happened regardless.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hedrigall posted:

Pixar isn't very good at trailers. I haaaated both the Ratatouille and Inside Out initial trailers and those are probably my two favourite Pixar movies.

You know what's really ironic about this (because you're definitely not wrong about it generally)? I think the trailers for Cars 3 have been really, really good. I'm still not 100% convinced that the movie is going to be as good as I would like it to, but I think the trailers show that Pixar got what was not so good about the last one, and have made a movie with a very obvious throughline that looks exciting (that demo derby track with the shooting flames looks v cool).

I would not be surprised if Cars 3 lapped the first two and surprised everyone.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't be much of a surprise if you wouldn't be surprised.

I agree though, those trailers look pretty freakin cool.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I can't stand the basic premise of "Look at these millennials, so entitled and always glued to their screens!" It feels like a kids' movie that for some reason wants to cater to cantakerous seniles.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I find it amusing that any movie would go "Pay attention to this big screen for one-to-two hours talking about how you're wasting your life away paying attention to screens".

(Even though I know it's surely already happened.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The antagonist of Cars 3 is also an entitled millennial, so I think Pixar's just fuckin' old.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

The antagonist of Cars 3 is also an entitled millennial, so I think Pixar's just fuckin' old.

Their last film was literally "THESE MOODY TEENAGERS AM I RIGHT" so this checks out

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I thought their last film was "Look at these gorgeous backgrounds! Also cartoon dinosaurs."?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The jaw drop gag in the Coco trailer made me laugh so hard :3:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought their last film was "Look at these gorgeous backgrounds! Also cartoon dinosaurs."?

I had completely forgotten about that one sooooo

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

You're wrong as well.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Oh jeez LMAO did we already forget about Last Dino and Dory that quickly? I can defend Dory, it was a frenetic cartoon blast that was just barely able to coast on nostalgia and fun characters, but Dino was a bore and a snooze. The ultra-simplistic character designs and hyper-detailed backgrounds did not mesh well, the meandering plot could have been saved if the main characters had any personality and I really only remember a few bits and pieces (although I'm pretty sure I saw it not sober, which helped).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly found Dory more emotionally true and interesting than Finding Nemo but I have a lot more empathy for "woman with disability struggles with an unfriendly world" than "lovely dad is an rear end in a top hat to people with disabilities." I certainly think it's the better of the two films if you're not knee-deep in nostalgia though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Considering Travis Knight is directing a Transformers movie for next year, how likely will Laika be involved with making that animated prequel Hasbro is planning to do?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The talking clam in Finding Dory was like the funniest thing I've seen in a long time

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

I find it amusing that any movie would go "Pay attention to this big screen for one-to-two hours talking about how you're wasting your life away paying attention to screens".

(Even though I know it's surely already happened.)

Really it's been going on for generations. When TV first got big you had a bunch of windmill-tilting from Hollywood and then even in the 90s you had movies like Stay Tuned and Cable Guy that were all about how TV was so dumb and terrible unlike film which is intelligent and sophisticated.

We've even come full circle because now TV is full of complaining about smart phones and social networks while being barely a decade past the point where TV was the insidious glowing rectangle that was destroying our brains.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looten Plunder posted:

You're wrong as well.
You're right, it was "let's find Dory's parents". Silly me.

Funny how I forgot the film I saw in theaters and thoroughly enjoyed, but not the one which I didn't see and which was thoroughly panned by most who did.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leave it to Pixar to make Day of the Dead feel like an orderly, bureaucratic airport lineup. "Purchase your tickets to the living world here, please leave in an orderly fashion and have a safe trip."

Comparisons to Book of Life are inevitable, and it's one point in their favour for at least having the Day of the Dead look like a genuinely fun celebration.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't have any real interest in day of the dead aesthetic but that movie looks beautiful and/or charming as gently caress.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love me a good portal fantasy so I just can't wait for this movie :)

It will be a breath of fresh air at the end of a year of sequels, babies who are also bosses and emoticonjis

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Leave it to Pixar to make Day of the Dead feel like an orderly, bureaucratic airport lineup. "Purchase your tickets to the living world here, please leave in an orderly fashion and have a safe trip."

Comparisons to Book of Life are inevitable, and it's one point in their favour for at least having the Day of the Dead look like a genuinely fun celebration.

I mean, didn't Grim Fandango do it first?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Klungar posted:

I mean, didn't Grim Fandango do it first?

The four hour Grim Fandango movie is fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuLVXGGgrtk

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Flaccid Trip posted:

Captain Underpants is amazingly charming. Character design and voice acting are spot-on. I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time.

I've seen that grin, it's cute.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I've been watching the old direct-to-video Disney sequels, and some are...definitely better than others.

Fox and the Hound 2 - The animation on this one just looks really off. Pretty forgettable.

Lion King 2 - The music's good - except Upendi. And Zira's a pretty cool villain, I guess? Simba's irritating, Nala's just...there, and Kiara's a brat.

Lion King 1 1/2 - As a kid, To mom and Pumbaa were my favorite characters. As an adult, I just find them to be obnoxious.

Bambi 2 - One of the better sequels. Would have liked an adaptation of Bambi's Children instead.

Lady and the Tramp 2 - Scamp is the worst.

gnarlyhotep posted:

I've seen that grin, it's cute.

I should drag you to some late-night, post-work movie excursions.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I need to watch more of those sequels. I got the Brother Bear double movie pack and I'm interested in that sequel. Kenai made the right choice at the end of the first movie :)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I swear many in my country are excited about CoCo, and the won us over the mariachi guy being the cartoon version of Pedro Infante (A beloved singer/actor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Infante)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I don't know why, but for a split second there I was worried they were going to be trying to sneak the kid back to the world of the living (it's possible they still could, but it didn't look like it), and I do not want a million thinkpieces about Coco and the border wall.

...oh who am I kidding? They'll still write them regardless.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

I don't know why, but for a split second there I was worried they were going to be trying to sneak the kid back to the world of the living (it's possible they still could, but it didn't look like it), and I do not want a million thinkpieces about Coco and the border wall.

...oh who am I kidding? They'll still write them regardless.

But really, who funded the door factory dividing our world and the monster world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Presumably Monsters Inc. themselves, and the door production would be cheaper than the profit made from the screams on the other side - at least, until changing times and rising demands cut into that bottom line, serving as the crux for the entire film.