Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I think I've come to a decision: my local dealer has a couple 2016 FZ07 in stock for $6400, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. I know with no fairings or windscreen the windblast will be rough, but will it otherwise work alright for highway trips? Most driving would be around the city, otherwise I'd look at something different.

The other bike that kind of piqued my interest was a Honda CB500f or V-Strom 650, how would those compared?

Finally, insurance. Progressive was going to double my insurance rate for me to get the larger bike. After doing some research though, I came across dairyland insurance...I can get full, high-limit coverage on it for cheaper than I'm paying now for my Ninja 300 (and my Ninja 300 would be even cheaper!). Around $55/month. Does this sound reasonable? Or am I going to get screwed somewhere?

The windblast isn't bad on the FZ-07, I think adding a fairing would make it worse. I regularly do highway trips on it. The important thing is to wear earplugs. Also all the fairings they make for it look stupid.

Anyways I'll sell you mine for way cheaper than that if you can live without ABS and want to road trip it to SoCal. It's a red 2015.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FZ-07 doesn't get ABS until 2017 MY, unfortunately.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Wind without a windscreen isnt too TOO but it can get tiring after awhile. If you can get ABS though go for it, that can potentially save your life someday.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

The windblast isn't bad on the FZ-07, I think adding a fairing would make it worse. I regularly do highway trips on it. The important thing is to wear earplugs. Also all the fairings they make for it look stupid.

Anyways I'll sell you mine for way cheaper than that if you can live without ABS and want to road trip it to SoCal. It's a red 2015.

I'd be all over a road trip to Cali...Except I don't have two weeks of time off to commute there and back from the Midwest!

I'm glad to hear it does alright. I'm still partially tempted to just out some inch risers on my Ninja handlebars and put a nice seat on it, but I'm trying to avoiding being cheap.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
2017 EX650 vs 2016 EX650. I know the 2017 is better; lighter, faster, *better in every way*... but how much better? (In $$$$ terms)? Dealer has a red 2016 at 7000, vs a 2017 at 8100.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I know with no fairings or windscreen the windblast will be rough, but will it otherwise work alright for highway trips?

Grow some neck muscle

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Grow some neck muscle

:mad:

Seriously though, I know I'm being a little bitch. I should probably try ear plugs, that'd make the biggest difference.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IuniusBrutus posted:

:mad:

Seriously though, I know I'm being a little bitch. I should probably try ear plugs, that'd make the biggest difference.

Why are you not wearing ear plugs always? :psyboom:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not condoning or anything but: I've literally never worn earplugs on a road bike and I have never, in all the hundreds (thousands?) of other riders I've met, ever met anyone who does. It's always seemed like one of those particularly american things similar to filling the tank while you're on the bike or not lane splitting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Not condoning or anything but: I've literally never worn earplugs on a road bike and I have never, in all the hundreds (thousands?) of other riders I've met, ever met anyone who does. It's always seemed like one of those particularly american things similar to filling the tank while you're on the bike or not lane splitting.

If I had to listen to Kiwi accents all day I'd want to be deaf too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Slavvy posted:

For real just try it. I can go way longer without needing a break :wink:

but seriously it does dramatically improve road fatigue. and prevents tinnitus. at 60mph the wind noise alone is enough to cause permanent hearing damage

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

ilkhan posted:

2017 EX650 vs 2016 EX650. I know the 2017 is better; lighter, faster, *better in every way*... but how much better? (In $$$$ terms)? Dealer has a red 2016 at 7000, vs a 2017 at 8100.

1100 is not much money in terms of thinking you should have bought the better bike in the first place.

(You will think this all the time)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

For real just try it. I can go way longer without needing a break :wink:

but seriously it does dramatically improve road fatigue. and prevents tinnitus. at 60mph the wind noise alone is enough to cause permanent hearing damage

I basically never get to ride for longer than an hour or two, tops, so road fatigue isn't really a thing for me. I get the hearing damage thing, it's just :effort:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

TheFonz posted:

1100 is not much money in terms of thinking you should have bought the better bike in the first place.

Yeah this will $1100 in mods make the old one the better bike? Probably not. Just get the new one in KRT green and black.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

TheFonz posted:

I think this already about my 300, so that's a really good point.

rdb posted:

Yeah this will $1100 in mods make the old one the better bike? Probably not. Just get the new one in KRT green and black.
KRT is the color I'd get, even if it costs and extra $500. Just to match my 300.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 10, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I basically never get to ride for longer than an hour or two, tops, so road fatigue isn't really a thing for me. I get the hearing damage thing, it's just :effort:

That's why you get headphone earplugs. You'll hate riding without them!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress that why would I want to ruin it with music?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Tell me more...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Should've phrased it better: I would find music playing while I ride immensely distracting and track changes would drive me batshit crazy, thus ruining my ride. My hearing is already well-ruined TYVM.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I got through 2 episodes of Mike Duncan's Revolutions today during my commute home. :black101:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Why are you not wearing ear plugs always? :psyboom:

I have a fairly quiet helmet and don't ride on the freeway much at all?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I got through 2 episodes of Mike Duncan's Revolutions today during my commute home. :black101:

How do you legit handle this? Like I have a hard time listening to a podcast while doing the dishes or driving a car. Like I can either choose to focus on operating the vehicle or on listening to what the cunts are saying but both is just not possible for my lovely brain.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

How do you legit handle this? Like I have a hard time listening to a podcast while doing the dishes or driving a car. Like I can either choose to focus on operating the vehicle or on listening to what the cunts are saying but both is just not possible for my lovely brain.

Blindsight, my dog. :science: To become the ultimate rider, like the nomadic horsemen of ancient Scythia, you must become one with your vehicle. Your reactions must be faster than the conscious mind can process. As you become truly in sync with your steed your subconscious mind will take over more and more of the operation. Your movements will become immediate and divorced from your thoughts. Some days I don't even know where I end and Armando begins.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just can't enter that state while listening to someone gab on about something unrelated that I have to then parse and picture in my mind and digest in a meaningful way (otherwise what's the point?).

Maybe if keith code had a podcast or something i dunno.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Keith Code don't, but Ken Hill does.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
this guy doesn't listen to music OR use ear plugs while riding, do you live in NZ or 1940s germany

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razzled posted:

this guy doesn't listen to music OR use ear plugs while riding, do you live in NZ or 1940s germany

i also dont listen to music or use ear plugs. I have a quality helmet and riding the bike is fun and engaging to the point where I dont need to keep myself occupied.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fauxtool posted:

i also dont listen to music or use ear plugs. I have a quality helmet and riding the bike is fun and engaging to the point where I dont need to keep myself occupied.

mussolini is that you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah you're able to express this with less bitterness and swearing than me but this is it 100%.

I considered doing it when I was commuting daily but I realised the only times that was 'boring' enough to warrant music was in horrible weather, and that's when you need to concentrate the most sooo...:shrug:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Even the best and quietest helmets don't cut wind noise to the point where you don't need plugs for highway riding, assuming you care about not risking permanent heating damage. A helmet isn't a hermetic chamber.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what db do you consider too high? Shoei, Arai and Schuberth all make helmets tested around 75db at 65mph in direct wind. Even quieter behind a windscreen. I'm right on the edge of where hearing loss occurs and i would wear earplugs on a naked bike or if I consistently rode faster than I do now.

I wouldnt mind earplugs but all the ones I have tried are too quiet and better suited at the gun range. Are there ones that just cut 25% volume and not more like 75%

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 10, 2017

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is, where your head is positioned in the windstream, or low/high vorticies by a myriad of variables of bike aerodynamics can cause pressure dynamics that can affect the rider regardless of helmet worn. In my opinion, foam earplugs or wearing a well fitting bluetooth earset is likely the best hedge for protection.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fauxtool posted:

what db do you consider too high? Shoei, Arai and Schuberth all make helmets tested around 75db at 65mph in direct wind. Even quieter behind a windscreen. I'm right on the edge of where hearing loss occurs and i would wear earplugs on a naked bike or if I consistently rode faster than I do now.

I wouldnt mind earplugs but all the ones I have tried are too quiet and better suited at the gun range. Are there ones that just cut 25% volume and not more like 75%

The Schuberth C3 is their quietest helmet and they claim 82db for that in their wind tunnel tests at 60mph. Anything above 85db is considered potentially damaging. A helmet will not be equally quiet for everyone either. Riding position and wind protection on your bike can make a helmet louder or quieter. A windscreen may make it better or worse.

As for earplugs, I'm not sure what too quiet even means. Even with plugs in riding is still noisy. Its not like a mausoleum, everything is just less intense so it's easier to focus on the important sounds.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I suppose one last question since I got to sit on one of these yesterday and really liked it....

How are the Yamaha Star Bolts? They are in my price range, it was pretty comfortable to sit on, and it seems like it would be small and light enough to not feel like a pig while riding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wear ear plugs. There are waaaaay too many variables to trust the helmets db ratings

As someone with tinnitus, trust me, wear ear plugs

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wear ear plugs. There are waaaaay too many variables to trust the helmets db ratings

As someone with tinnitus, trust me, wear ear plugs

Yep. Wear yo goddamn earplugs. Music is sublime too.

I didnt really bother with earplugs till thumper life. I'm nearly deaf anyway from unrelated incidents.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

I suppose one last question since I got to sit on one of these yesterday and really liked it....

How are the Yamaha Star Bolts? They are in my price range, it was pretty comfortable to sit on, and it seems like it would be small and light enough to not feel like a pig while riding.

If it's your first bike, don't. If you've been riding for a while then yeah why not, they're like a Sportster analogue and don't feel cumbersome above walking speed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm buying the 650 as I type. Decent deal.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Y'all asked for some better pictures of the new (to me) VFR800, so here are a few:

And one of my riding buddy, Lego Vader:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Did yours come with a center stand? I want that bike