Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Also, Nog actually proved willing to learn from his mistakes and grow(as a person anyway).

Did he? We saw him apologize to Jake for that incident, but I never saw him treating women better in a romantic context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

WampaLord posted:

Did he? We saw him apologize to Jake for that incident, but I never saw him treating women better in a romantic context.

I seem to recall him outright saying how stupid his attitude towards women used to be, post-academy, specifically citing that date, but I can't remember what episode that was.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

McNally posted:

So my TNG rewatch has taken me to the Friendzone Geordi episode. The one where the warp engineer discovers her Holodeck realdoll alter ego.

Ugh, Geordi, just no.

No.

Stop that, Geordi.

No.
Realistic holodeck characters were still fairly new at the time, so people would naturally be shocked to find images of themselves in someone's program. A few years later, and it's not such a big deal. Barclay makes ridiculous holograms of the crew, and the only concern is that he's spending too much time in there and not concentrating on work. Quark makes a holographic Kira, she trolls him by turning it into Quark. The Doctor makes a holographic Cardassian friend to help with some weird parasite thing. Tuvok makes a model of his wife for Pon Farr. Riker bangs the entire crew of NX-01, ostensibly as a decision-making exercise not unlike Geordi's engineering project. Mores change with technology, and things that seem outrageous one day are routine the next. Geordi was just ahead of his time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nothus Infelix posted:

Realistic holodeck characters were still fairly new at the time, so people would naturally be shocked to find images of themselves in someone's program. A few years later, and it's not such a big deal. Barclay makes ridiculous holograms of the crew, and the only concern is that he's spending too much time in there and not concentrating on work.

The Barclay episode was a season 3 episode, Leah Brahms finding her creepy holodeck version happened in season 4.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nothus Infelix posted:

Realistic holodeck characters were still fairly new at the time, so people would naturally be shocked to find images of themselves in someone's program. A few years later, and it's not such a big deal. Barclay makes ridiculous holograms of the crew, and the only concern is that he's spending too much time in there and not concentrating on work. Quark makes a holographic Kira, she trolls him by turning it into Quark. The Doctor makes a holographic Cardassian friend to help with some weird parasite thing. Tuvok makes a model of his wife for Pon Farr. Riker bangs the entire crew of NX-01, ostensibly as a decision-making exercise not unlike Geordi's engineering project. Mores change with technology, and things that seem outrageous one day are routine the next. Geordi was just ahead of his time.

Barclay made sure to keep his My Little Pony ERP sessions buried deep in some obscure subdirectory of the xenomycology database.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 8, 2017

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, some people are just country stupid about the game they follow and claim to enjoy. They believe in "unwritten rules of the sport", nonsense like Curses, and can generally be assumed to not actually having a working TV when they claimed to have watched the last game.

For someone with demonstrably no knowledge of sports, you sure talk a lot about other people not knowing anything about them. Unwritten rules are a creation of the players, not the fans, and they're real insofar as they affect how players play the game. That's nothing like fake poo poo like curses. It's actually A Thing and I don't understand how you can't separate "things that don't exist" with "things that make you mad because they don't fit neatly into an objective reality that doesn't exist." If you don't like people having pathos for sports, maybe sports just aren't for you. So maybe you should just not post about them. That's all I'm saying.

Also, I listen to baseball on the radio daily. Does that invalidate my opinion about baseball? I just need to know if I'm living up to the Bibs StandardTM.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There's no point arguing with Bibs, he's a Bad Poster and most likely suffers from some form of brain damage.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Railing Kill posted:

For someone with demonstrably no knowledge of sports, you sure talk a lot about other people not knowing anything about them. Unwritten rules are a creation of the players, not the fans, and they're real insofar as they affect how players play the game. That's nothing like fake poo poo like curses. It's actually A Thing and I don't understand how you can't separate "things that don't exist" with "things that make you mad because they don't fit neatly into an objective reality that doesn't exist." If you don't like people having pathos for sports, maybe sports just aren't for you. So maybe you should just not post about them. That's all I'm saying.

Also, I listen to baseball on the radio daily. Does that invalidate my opinion about baseball? I just need to know if I'm living up to the Bibs StandardTM.

I see you discovered how MisterBibs is Always Wrong™. Do not engage with him.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Railing Kill posted:

Unwritten rules are a creation of the players, not the fans, and they're real insofar as they affect how players play the game. That's nothing like fake poo poo like curse. It's actually A Thing

Oh, I know they are Things. Dumb things that sincerely believing them makes you a dumb-dumb, no matter if you're a player, owner, or fan. I get that you don't want to equate that madness with the insanity of Curses, but it's all the same nonsense that warrants being laughed at for expousing.

Sisko would be mad at a player flipping his bat after a home run and would demand that said player get dinged for it for literally gibberish violating the unofficial rules of the game.

I mean, look where the episode ends. The guy who has bad baseball opinions, his team loses. The folks who understand baseball win.

E: as for your question, have you ever found yourself agreeing with Hawk Harrelson or similar meatballs?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 8, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episode 15 "Paradise"

I'm skipping my reports of the last few episodes, "The Alternate," "Armageddon Game," and "Whispers," not because they're bad or unremarkable (they're all pretty good, a nice string of them), but because I am so disgusted with this one.

This episode should've been titled "The Ends Justify the Means." If this were TNG, Picard or Data would've phasered Alexis and the colony would've broken up because they'd realize they were basically in a cult. At worst maybe half of them would stay. If it were TOS, Spock or Sulu or Scotty would've phasered the dampening field from orbit and beamed down with a large security team and Alexis would feel some sort of actual contrition.

I was begging Sisko to take the glass of water and break a shard off to stab this evil woman. But she's just totally and unambiguously vindicated. One of Trek's worst episodes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh man, I don't remember this Voyager I watched on BBC America. Intergalactic scammers steal information about Voyager and then pose as Janeway (by wearing a lovely wig) and Tuvok (by wearing a lovely wig) and piss off a bunch of star systems by charging them for "membership in the Federation" and stuff. Pretty fun episode. The fake Janeway was great.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wesley even gets to go "At least I don't have to find my women on the holodeck!" that one time.

It's important to note that Geordi has zero comeback for this one. All he has to offer is "what did you say??"

Also they were fighting because (Sarek's crazy super-dementia was causing the crew to go nuts, and) Wesley was in a hurry to get off work because he had a date with someone Geordi practically admitted to being intimidatingly gorgeous.

Wesley burned Geordi big time.

Oh yeah also in that episode like one scene later, Riker is asking Worf if he's serious about writing someone up for insubordination, which Geordi easily could have done but obviously didn't because then Wesley's huge burn would be forever part of the official record.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'm skipping my reports of the last few episodes, "The Alternate," "Armageddon Game," and "Whispers," not because they're bad or unremarkable (they're all pretty good, a nice string of them), but because I am so disgusted with this one.

This episode should've been titled "The Ends Justify the Means." If this were TNG, Picard or Data would've phasered Alexis and the colony would've broken up because they'd realize they were basically in a cult. At worst maybe half of them would stay. If it were TOS, Spock or Sulu or Scotty would've phasered the dampening field from orbit and beamed down with a large security team and Alexis would feel some sort of actual contrition.

I was begging Sisko to take the glass of water and break a shard off to stab this evil woman. But she's just totally and unambiguously vindicated. One of Trek's worst episodes.

Yeah, it's kind of a turd. I think the moral was supposed to be "community matters, even if it's not one you chose" but, like a lot of bad Trek, it completely botches its last act.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Luckily they handle the cult thing much, much better in a (significantly) later episode, perhaps not coincidentally after the Heaven's Gate incident reminded everyone that unquestioning devotion to a single authority's weird philosophy is actually very dangerous.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 8, 2017

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, I know they are Things. Dumb things that sincerely believing them makes you a dumb-dumb, no matter if you're a player, owner, or fan. I get that you don't want to equate that madness with the insanity of Curses, but it's all the same nonsense that warrants being laughed at for expousing.

Sisko would be mad at a player flipping his bat after a home run and would demand that said player get dinged for it for literally gibberish violating the unofficial rules of the game.

I mean, look where the episode ends. The guy who has bad baseball opinions, his team loses. The folks who understand baseball win.

E: as for your question, have you ever found yourself agreeing with Hawk Harrelson or similar meatballs?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but literally everything you do, anywhere, ever, has unwritten rules. Some of those rules are good ("Don't be a racist") and some of them are bad ("Go ahead and hit that batter for showboating"). But there's way more of the former than the latter, and poo poo's going to be hard for you if you want everything spelled out.

As for sports talk radio meatballs: no. When I said I listen to baseball on the radio, I mean I listen to the actual games and not the talk radio blowhards. If you think everyone involved with the game acts like that or like Field of Dreams or whatever, I seriously encourage you to listen to a radio broadcast of a game. Boston's Joe Castiglione just calls the game with professionalism, historical insight, and a bit of humor. He's not a homer, and he's not a loudmouth. He doesn't believe in supernatural stuff and only mentions curses in the context of how some fans perceive them. He sees "curses" as more of a placeholder for inexplicable, statistically improbable stuff, like Boston's 86-year drought, or the Cubs' 108-year drought. I've also heard Yankees and Orioles radio calls, and their guys are just as good. I just think you have this meatball dumbass sports guy straw man set up for every time this stuff comes up in any thread. You also think having fun about a literal game is wrong, which is absurd on its face. This is the last time I'm going to argue with you about sports (or movies, or maybe anything), but I just want you to understand where everyone is coming from on some of this stuff because I'm tired of so many threads getting shitted-up.

Oh, and it's "espousing." :eng101:

The only part I ever remember about this one is the punishment box. But yeah, it's a clunker. Basically,

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a turd. I think the moral was supposed to be "community matters, even if it's not one you chose" but, like a lot of bad Trek, it completely botches its last act.

This.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mixed feelings because it's a bad episode, but also has one of Sisko's most bad-rear end moments, crawling back into the box rather than acquiesing to Alexis' demands.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

One of Trek's worst episodes.

Still better than the movie with a similar premise: M. Night Shyamalan's The Village. :ghost:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't think the crazy anti-technology lady is vindicated at all. They leave her to rot on her poo poo planet with her cult of willing slaves. You have to remember that this episode aired just a year or two after Ruby Ridge and Waco. The general mood at the time was a lot closer to "leave the fuckhead isolationists alone, since it's what they want and they're willing to kill to keep it that way".

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MillennialVulcan posted:

Mixed feelings because it's a bad episode, but also has one of Sisko's most bad-rear end moments, crawling back into the box rather than acquiesing to Alexis' demands.

Agreed, that was akin to "There are four lights!"

skasion posted:

I don't think the crazy anti-technology lady is vindicated at all. They leave her to rot on her poo poo planet with her cult of willing slaves. You have to remember that this episode aired just a year or two after Ruby Ridge and Waco. The general mood at the time was a lot closer to "leave the fuckhead isolationists alone, since it's what they want and they're willing to kill to keep it that way".

They don't leave her, they do take her and her son back to the Federation. But she will always feel justified because everyone chooses to stay, precisely because of her ideology. That is the end that justifies, to her, her means.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

If I remember right at the end of the episode some of the young kids stare in wonder at the transporter beam so maybe the next generation would want off the planet

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Caught a random episode of DS9 earlier today: why did Shapeshifter Guy decide to reveal that he's a shapeshifter in a mess hall of angry (and armed) Klingons? Because that gets you shot, like, 96% of the time.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Was that Laas? Because Laas was an rear end and proof that Odo has bad taste in men. Laas could probably have killed every Klingon in the room barehanded though and never considered himself to be in any danger. Unlike Odo, Laas wanted the solids to know he was dangerous, not treat him as annoying but harmless.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Could also be possibly talking about Changeling Martok.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Lower decks is awesome. That is all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They don't leave her, they do take her and her son back to the Federation. But she will always feel justified because everyone chooses to stay, precisely because of her ideology. That is the end that justifies, to her, her means.

Years and years ago, Chuck Sonnenberg of SF Debris wrote this Star Wars / Star Trek crossover fanfic which I thought was super cool when I was 15, in which Alixus returns as a senator who collaborates with the Yuuzhan Vong (Star Wars EU characters who were fanatically anti-technology).

Not sure why I remember that one factoid about a fanfic I read about 10 years ago. :v:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Behold!

By popular demand by that one guy who wouldn't stop nagging me about it, the Trek Random Episode Chooser has been updated to include a Season/Episode reference because nobody watches DVDs any more.

http://trek.kthxbye.com/

Because season-episode numbering can be a big nerd slapfight, I have used the Netflix designations. Take it up with them if it offends you that The Cage is listed as season 1, episode 1 of TOS.

Summary for people who haven't seen it before
This is a thing I made for myself to use in those moments when I feel like watching some Star Trek but don't know which episode to watch. It picks an episode at random from the six Star Trek TV series. It should never give you the second episode of a two-parter. If you hate Voyager, or only want to watch DS9 or whatever, you can click on the little communicator in the bottom right and choose which series are to be included or excluded. For entertainment purposes only. Do not operate while driving. Caveat Emptor. Management not responsible for emotional distress if chooser recommends Threshold or Spock's Brain or anything from TNG season 1.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

shadok posted:

Take it up with them if it offends you that The Cage is listed as season 1, episode 1 of TOS.

It offended me for decades when it wasn't, get rekt nerds.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The cage is awful though and no one should be tricked into having to watch it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Cage isn't bad but there's pretty much no reason to watch it instead of The Menagerie.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nah. The Cage is a fine episode, but I would say that Where No Man Has Gone Before is the best of the three pilots.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

The Cage isn't bad but there's pretty much no reason to watch it instead of The Menagerie.

The Menagerie is a huge upgrade because the bookends are far more intriguing than the original story (wtf is Spock doing?!) and also because I'm a sucker for courtroom stuff, see also Court Martial, The Measure of a Man, The Drumhead, Rules of Engagement and even Inquisition and Tribunal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nah. The Cage is a fine episode, but I would say that Where No Man Has Gone Before is the best of the three pilots.
There's no comparison. WNMHGB is a great ST episode period.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Caught a random episode of DS9 earlier today: why did Shapeshifter Guy decide to reveal that he's a shapeshifter in a mess hall of angry (and armed) Klingons? Because that gets you shot, like, 96% of the time.

Because either a) some changelings buy their own bullshit about being gods or b) he figured he was blown but he had a fair chance of killing Odo first

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think I'm changing my philosophy for my DS9 watchthrough. I had been giving impressions and comments from each episode, but now toward the end of season 2 I find there's less to say. The show's getting better and they're not just remixing superior TNG episodes anymore, the characters are all settling in, and nothing to speak of in terms of the later ongoing plot has crept in yet. A few mentions of the Dominion, in throwaways sort of like the destroyed colonies in early TNG to set up the bugs/Borg.

It'll be interesting getting into the later seasons, as I recall getting impatient with the show and wanting it to poo poo or get off the pot, as it at least in or around seasons 3-5 tended to have the big arc stories backloaded in the seasons and then long stretches of business as usual when it returned. At least that's how I recall it. But I'm enjoying business as usual for now, and so far I like current early Sisko better than I liked later-season Sisko then.

Quark, Odo, and O'Brien are still the real draws in my book though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

shadok posted:

The Menagerie is a huge upgrade because the bookends are far more intriguing than the original story (wtf is Spock doing?!) and also because I'm a sucker for courtroom stuff, see also Court Martial, The Measure of a Man, The Drumhead, Rules of Engagement and even Inquisition and Tribunal.

The frame story makes zero sense and is just a continual rambling incoherent interruption to The Cage.

It completely destroys Spock's character for no reason, his mutiny was totally unnecessary because the admiral who was trying to stop them was just an illusion so fake-Admiral could have just as well ordered the Enterprise to go to the planet. And the second the real Starfleet command found out what was happening they were like "oh yeah it's fine to go under these circumstances", thereby confirming it was all pointless. But nobody gets in trouble so I guess sabotage and mutiny are a-ok as long as you were motivated by the magic of friendship.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 10, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think I'm changing my philosophy for my DS9 watchthrough. I had been giving impressions and comments from each episode, but now toward the end of season 2 I find there's less to say. The show's getting better and they're not just remixing superior TNG episodes anymore, the characters are all settling in, and nothing to speak of in terms of the later ongoing plot has crept in yet. A few mentions of the Dominion, in throwaways sort of like the destroyed colonies in early TNG to set up the bugs/Borg.

It'll be interesting getting into the later seasons, as I recall getting impatient with the show and wanting it to poo poo or get off the pot, as it at least in or around seasons 3-5 tended to have the big arc stories backloaded in the seasons and then long stretches of business as usual when it returned. At least that's how I recall it. But I'm enjoying business as usual for now, and so far I like current early Sisko better than I liked later-season Sisko then.

Quark, Odo, and O'Brien are still the real draws in my book though.

Expanding on this a bit, after thinking about it I find I actually like it better now when they're hanging around on the station than when they do TNG-type stuff in the runabouts, even when they're not rehashing something. Maybe that's still the Voyager/Enterprise burnout talking.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

In this week's Kobayashi Maru: Turbolift Thrillapalooza!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

I guess sabotage and mutiny are a-ok as long as you were motivated by the magic of friendship.

Uhhh poo poo yeah they are

where were you during the whole of ST3

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
like if your friends aren't willing to gamble federal property, their careers, their safety/possibly their lives on the slim chance to rescue you from the very clutches of death itself then I dunno man get better friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's basically a running thing in Star Trek that disobeying orders and regulations is totally fine if you do it for good reasons and it all turns out all right in the end.