Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jeza posted:

Neverwinter Nights, was good.

This isn't unpopular, but the best part of that game was the toolset and the community content that sprung up. You could essentially create an entire new game, new plot, new adventure and some of them were really good too. Or you could log into a persistent world server with other players and DMs.
NWN2 was a little less robust but still great. They were probably the best DnD simulators around.

I wish there were more of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sierra made better adventure games than LucasArts

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Makeout Patrol posted:

Sierra made better adventure games than LucasArts

Kings Quest 6 was a great game. I don't about the other ones, the 3d one sucked rear end

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Procedurals, including roguelikes, are just really loving bad. The worst part is gamers are falling for it. "A brand new experience every time!"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

Procedurals, including roguelikes, are just really loving bad. The worst part is gamers are falling for it. "A brand new experience every time!"

a few are really great, but the vast majority do it wrong

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

a few are really great, but the vast majority do it wrong

Minecraft and Factorio and dwarf fortress do it well, but if you're using it to put new sheens of paint on the same thing like no man's sky it's bad. Like I'm p sure it's only good for world generation in incredibly specific scenarios

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Binding of Isaac did a Rougelike well because it was quick, snappy, and had a relatively low number of possible iterations that were impossible to predict with accuracy but possible to utilize with precision given enough experience, and it rarely punched you in the dick in the first few levels cause "git gud". I played an utter trash game called 20XX which is "Mega Man X meets Castlevania Symphony of the Night meets a Rougelike" which was at least 2 things too many, where looking at the sheer breadth of poo poo to do was exasperating and the engine nowhere near tight enough to make the prospect fun.

-------------

UVO: Mass Effect 1's plot and general world are really good if you see them as a reworking of Star Trek by nerds who grew up with TNG-ENT, which is is. It's not deep nor thought-provoking, but as a genre fan it was refreshing to see a high budget utilizing sci-fi concepts that weren't married solely to military iconography (just mostly).

Also Parrapa the Rapper had the worst gameplay my god.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

hip check please posted:

Blizzard has never and will never release another game as good as Blackthorne

What is Blackthorne?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gitaroo Man is the epitome of what games in the rhythm/musical instrument genre should strive for

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Dennis System posted:

What is Blackthorne?

Maybe it was called blackhawk in some markets. It's prince of persia with a shotgun

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wii sports was one of the best games of it's generation and people who complain about it making GBS threads up their precious industry by developers attempting to copy from it (poorly) probably got owned severely every time they tried playing bowling or golf

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Maybe it was called blackhawk in some markets. It's prince of persia with a shotgun

Dont forget it has a cover system and it lets you shoot orcs in the face

It is a good game

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Good soup! posted:

Dont forget it has a cover system and it lets you shoot orcs in the face

It is a good game

If that made games good, Space Marine would not have sucked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's also a 2D cover system, which probably blew people's minds in the 90s but today seems kind-of "eh."

Great pixel art though. Say whatever the gently caress you want about Blizzard's actual games, they know how to polish visuals.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

The Binding of Isaac did a Rougelike well because it was quick, snappy, and had a relatively low number of possible iterations that were impossible to predict with accuracy but possible to utilize with precision given enough experience, and it rarely punched you in the dick in the first few levels cause "git gud". I played an utter trash game called 20XX which is "Mega Man X meets Castlevania Symphony of the Night meets a Rougelike" which was at least 2 things too many, where looking at the sheer breadth of poo poo to do was exasperating and the engine nowhere near tight enough to make the prospect fun.

This reminds me, Binding of Isaac is the next overrated thing to Undertale.

People prefer it to things like Enter the Gungeon because it's babies first bullet hell. All the items make you an overpowered god and the game looks like a newgrounds flash game.

Oh boo hoooooo I only successfully complete 3/4ths of my runs and the only content in the game is beating it multiple times because it's so easy.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Roguelikes are terrible games, and the people who enjoy them are far more "git gud" than any Dark Souls or Monster Hunter fan ever was, in defense of far shittier mechanics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Roguelikes are terrible games, and the people who enjoy them are far more "git gud" than any Dark Souls or Monster Hunter fan ever was, in defense of far shittier mechanics.

im sorry you dont enjoy difficult cerebral challenges. maybe try Guitar Hero?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I've never played Binding of Isaac because it looks ugly and the premise plus its twee design are Trying Too Hard.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

I've never played Binding of Isaac because it looks ugly and the premise plus its twee design are Trying Too Hard.

I've never played Isaac because I find the whole subject matter way more unpleasant than I want in a game I'm supposed to pour hundreds of hours into.

I've never played Factorio because it seems like you're building poo poo for the sake of building poo poo and I know that's true of a lot of games but for some reason Factorio is especially Sisyphean about it. Endless conveyors and gears and production chains like some kind of small slice of Hell for engineers.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Roguelike elements should be the canary in the coal mine for bad neo-retro games. There's a place for procedural generation, but any game I've played that has any roguelike element has more often than not dealt a ton of utter bullshit that's not at all fun to deal with. It's an excuse for bad level design and/or a difficulty curve and is exclusive to games that prey on nostalgia for an earlier era of games as their major draw.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I think a procedurally generated map with something like left 4 dead's "director" system could be pretty good with robotron/smash tv/ style gameplay

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Loaded, on ps1 was a lovely game that would have been great with smash TV style controls, which was possible on the original PlayStation controller.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I think a procedurally generated map with something like left 4 dead's "director" system could be pretty good with robotron/smash tv/ style gameplay

To be fair I forgot about games that do procedural generation with a light touch. Certain minor variations in an already decent level design can be awesome.

I want to reference early Payday 2 maps here, but that in and of itself might be its own bad video game opinion for liking them.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Loaded, on ps1 was a lovely game that would have been great with smash TV style controls, which was possible on the original PlayStation controller.

The original PlayStation controller didn't have analog sticks, though?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

It's still the best of the whole Roguelike craze hands down, there's just too many bat poo poo combinations of things you can get.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's still the best of the whole Roguelike craze hands down, there's just too many bat poo poo combinations of things you can get.

spelunky is a better game to the power of 50

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Spelunky is better and so is FTL. Honestly I'd say BOI isn't even in the top 5 for recentish rougelites.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Umoria is better than Angband.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

hip check please posted:

Blizzard has never and will never release another game as good as Blackthorne

Rock and Roll Racing. Never foirget.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Once you play Stone Soup there's no reason to ever play another dungeon crawler.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

a bone to pick posted:

Once you play Stone Soup there's no reason to ever play another dungeon crawler.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Spelunky is better and so is FTL. Honestly I'd say BOI isn't even in the top 5 for recentish rougelites.

I can't argue FTL is awesome and probably wins this fight, but BOI has such a ridiculous library of items at this point that you can sink in hundreds of hours without repeat events, and vanilla FTL you get a handle on everything that happens pretty quick.

Not knocking FTL though I loving love FTL.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
I've played quite a few dungeon crawlers but Stone Soup is the one I go back to.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Roguelikes are good if the core gameplay is good and the content remains handcrafted. Wasn't Spleunky's approach to basically hand-design a poo poo load of the variations of stage lay-out you see, then program it to randomly arrange them each time? Either way, Spleunky managed to have Mario-physics and platforming situated as well as pretty good level design, even with random levels, and I think it was due to this extra layer of effort.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

Exhibit A

A person who loves that BOI is a win simulator with overpowered upgrades

*gets bullets that would carry you through the game in the first map*
*spends the rest of the game gleefully clapping and hooting*

There is a reason why the extra content is "Beat the game x times" "Beat the game + new level x times" "Beat the game + new level + new level x times"

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Space Crabs posted:

This reminds me, Binding of Isaac is the next overrated thing to Undertale.

People prefer it to things like Enter the Gungeon because it's babies first bullet hell. All the items make you an overpowered god and the game looks like a newgrounds flash game.

Oh boo hoooooo I only successfully complete 3/4ths of my runs and the only content in the game is beating it multiple times because it's so easy.

boi and gungeon are not bullethells.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
unpopular bullethell opinion:

yagawa shmups are universally terrible. dodonpachi is the best shmup forever.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Spelunky might be the best game ever made, so in fact, roguelites are good.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jim Barris posted:

The original PlayStation controller didn't have analog sticks, though?

Neither did the SNES, but they both had buttons arranged in a cross. SNES could do smash TV right. Hell, the SNES version let you play with two controllers so you could have 2 d pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

VR was worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJw7IufBodE&t=771s