Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Charlz Guybon posted:

The sex discussion on the boat was improvised! What?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/9/15772134/wonder-woman-improv

One of my favorite scenes. That's awesome knowing it was improvised, haha. Both Gadot and Pine are really witty.

Sirotan posted:

This was probably the worst scene in the whole movie for me. The action came to a dead stop and then they have a conversation that felt really forced and corny and went on for ages. I guess now I know why! :v:

I personally thought it was a great character building moment that helps bring up the foundation for the relationship between Steve and Diana in a way that's funny and alluring. It's moments like those you don't see too often in a CB movie between a hero and their potential love interest, and it was refreshing imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Schwarzwald posted:

Did you miss the big twist at the end where Ares was very specifically not behind it all?

Did you ignore the ending?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Judakel posted:

Did you ignore the ending?

Yes. While Wonder Woman was busy killing Ares, Steve and buddies stopped the chemical attack that threatened to prevent the armistice.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes. While Wonder Woman was busy killing Ares, Steve and buddies stopped the chemical attack that threatened to prevent the armistice.

I mean, killing Ares directly led to a scene of the surviving German soldiers tearing off their masks and breathing in fresh air, as if a spell has been lifted. Then smashcut to victory day in London.

A major problem with the themes of this movie is that the humanity of the German soldiers is never shown. They exist to be cut down by the dozens by Diana and company, and they're never shown in the context of being victims of the war (like how Allied soldiers are shown as bloody and broken men being rushed to a hospital). The movie could have benefited from a scene where Diana looks upon the carnage she has wrought on the German soldiers she kills in the town or the airfield. Speaking of the town, the sequence where a Belgian civilian speaks of atrocities committed own her neighbors exists only to provide a license for guilt free slaughter

The horror and tragedy of the hero's killing of the enemy isn't necessary to show in a superhero movie, but this is a movie explicitly about the causes of war, set in a time period where no one side on the battlefield could be described as unambiguously evil.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mars4523 posted:

Then smashcut to victory day in London.

The armistice was already going to happen, Ludendorff and Maru were trying to kickstart the hostilities again and Ares was trying to stop Diana from interfering. The war didn't end because Diana killed Ares, it was already over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone knows that a dying war god causes an area of effect of peace for a time after death.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The armistice was already going to happen, Ludendorff and Maru were trying to kickstart the hostilities again and Ares was trying to stop Diana from interfering. The war didn't end because Diana killed Ares, it was already over.

The soldiers go from loading the period-equivalent of Hiroshima and they tear off their masks and hug their enemies shortly after Ares dies.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Unoriginal Name posted:

The soldiers go from loading the period-equivalent of Hiroshima and they tear off their masks and hug their enemies shortly after Ares dies.

I mean, I would've done the same if I barely avoided being vaporized by two warring gods.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, people embraced and hugged when the war stopped in real life, too. poo poo, they stopped fighting at christmas until the officers instituted new rules to prevent that happening.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Is it bad that I thought Wonder Woman was a p fun and good movie?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, people embraced and hugged when the war stopped in real life, too. poo poo, they stopped fighting at christmas until the officers instituted new rules to prevent that happening.

I still think that was a dirrect allusion to The Christmas Truce/Miracle. I dont see how they could not have intended that.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 11, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Snyder's cameo have been found

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also: Chris Pine has a multiple movie deal. Use god trickery to bring him back to life in modern times so he can be the fish out of water that Diana slowly teaches about the world :allears:

Robin Wright is also back so I guess being dead is no longer something that will hold characters back

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

I still think that was a dirrect allusion to The Christmas Truce/Miracle. I dont see how they could not have intended that.

It was, but it was also an allusion to the actual end of the war, when a bunch of people who weren't sure why they were fighting got to stop.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Snyder's cameo have been found

I want a replica copy of that photo of Diana, Steve, and everyone so bad.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

hump day bitches! posted:

Robin Wright is also back so I guess being dead is no longer something that will hold characters back

It's the DC universe. There's someone out there intentionally holding the door between Life and Death.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mars4523 posted:

I mean, killing Ares directly led to a scene of the surviving German soldiers tearing off their masks and breathing in fresh air, as if a spell has been lifted. Then smashcut to victory day in London.

A major problem with the themes of this movie is that the humanity of the German soldiers is never shown.

Is that really a major problem with the movie, or history in general? Or it being in a fictional movie universe where German soldiers weren't humanitarians.

Name 5 movies that sides with random humanity of German soldiers, that isn't in German.

Movie was better than all the other DC movies just by the mancrush approved Chris Pine. Gal Gadot was really good, some of the fight scenes were a bit mortal combat. I can live with that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That was not good, yo.

Please save DC, Snyder (after your family gets well due to the death. :( )

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also: Chris Pine has a multiple movie deal. Use god trickery to bring him back to life in modern times so he can be the fish out of water that Diana slowly teaches about the world :allears:

Apparently in the comics he came back from the dead multiple times. One time they pulled a Rick-And-Morty maneuver and just brought in a double from an alternate universe where he'd survived.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

That was not good, yo.

Please keep the DCCU singular to one vision

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

hump day bitches! posted:

I'm pretty sure this will be a flashback. Apparently the Amazons, Atlanteans, Kryptonians, and some humans all fought against Apokolips in the past.

It's one of the ideas JL is introducing that I'm unambiguously in favor of.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I'm pretty sure this will be a flashback. Apparently the Amazons, Atlanteans, Kryptonians, and some humans all fought against Apokolips in the past.

I just want crazy Zach snyder visuals accompanied by Hans Zimmer music, so that poo poo sounds super awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

That sounds loving dope. Hope that's true.

[edit]

Apparently in the comics he came back from the dead multiple times. One time they pulled a Rick-And-Morty maneuver and just brought in a double from an alternate universe where he'd survived.

Here's hoping the DCEU films eventually diverge into a Flashpoint-inspired narrative. That way they could get more Pine :allears: and hopefully Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Flashpoint Timeline Batman.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 11, 2017

jimshua
Jun 11, 2017

there are three things im good at: counting and lists
The "third act is the worst part" take is something I completely disagree with because Steve Trevor mansplaining humanity to Diana was probably one of my favorite scenes in any superhero movie ever. As an MCU fan who had pretty much lost all hope with the DCEU, I left the theater ecstatic.

And even though I disliked the look of Batman v Superman and Man of Steel, here I was totally into the muted colors for whatever reason. Maybe because it jived with the WWI feel of the picture.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jimshua posted:

The "third act is the worst part" take is something I completely disagree with because Steve Trevor mansplaining humanity to Diana was probably one of my favorite scenes in any superhero movie ever. As an MCU fan who had pretty much lost all hope with the DCEU, I left the theater ecstatic.

And even though I disliked the look of Batman v Superman and Man of Steel, here I was totally into the muted colors for whatever reason. Maybe because it jived with the WWI feel of the picture.

It has some great moments, but that fight scene is just too much and it bored the heck out of me. That character, twist be damned, seemed to have very little to do with the rest of the film, so for me it was like "Oh, I guess he's the bad guy. Alright?" Maybe I missed something, other than that character helping out a bit earlier. Which set off a good portion of the back half of the film, I know. But it just seemed out of the blue. Honestly, I wish there wasn't a big CGI fight, but just more of Wonder Woman fighting Germans, helping that small rag tag group out while the big moment you mentioned happens.
She still gets dazed, and sees Steve run off, but then the group gets pinned down, as they did, and Wonder Woman steps in to protect them, while Steve flies away. She can only save one. She can't save both. Same scene. Same out come. Just less...nonsense. Great flick otherwise.

I really, really hate DCCU's big finale scenes. They're just too much...stuff. It's just overloading me with these visuals that look nice in stills, but in motion it's like...loving hell, calm down. Marvel's ain't that great either, but usually at one point, it gets personal between the characters, so there's something there.

But I did really like the scene where she completed her "mission", as she first thought, and nothing happened. There was something sweet and tragic about her reaction and Steve telling her "Yeah, that's kinda what was always going to happen though..." I wish that was that was it when it came to the villain.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gatts posted:

That was not good, yo.

It was better than MoS and BvS, so maybe Jenkins should save the DC?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
WW1 was a good choice because Diana had the faulty impression that men are good at heart and were just corrupted by Ares. Turned out we are all complex and prone to violence and the bad guy is actually British, the side you thought was "good"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LinYutang posted:

WW1 was a good choice because Diana had the faulty impression that men are good at heart and were just corrupted by Ares. Turned out we are all complex and prone to violence and the bad guy is actually British, the side you thought was "good"

I feel that point is ruined by the dudes helping to mass murderer London being happy buggy kids 5 seconds after Aries is defeated.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Movie was mostly good except for the final fight scene where Ares shows up as a Deus Ex Machina.

Also DC has this problem where their characters refuse to explain anything to each other and/or are left in the dark about major plot points which leaves the audience frustratedly watching the main character bumble around for the entire story. It's a device you can use effectively but I've never seen DC use it effectively.

It doesn't change the plot at all if Diana knows she's a god or not other than her perception of herself which is already extremely confident.

Ares showing up in the last act is dumb as gently caress from a narrative structure standpoint and is the reason why the last act is weak. The entire movie has been spent trying to defeat Ludendorff and his death is unsatisfying. The audience knows about Ares but they haven't SEEN Ares. So when he shows up not only do you (a) not care, (b) but the reveal that this minor character was Ares all along doesn't mean anything. "The end is the beginning" is a cornerstone of story structure for a reason. Toss out the dumb fairy tale told to Diana at the beginning and actually show the fight between Zeus and Ares, show Zeus giving life to Diana, show Zeus' death and Ares retreat. Then, have the Diana/Ares fight mirror the Zeus/Ares fight and it becomes a whole lot more satisfying for the audience.

Also, train the goddamn godkiller weapon that Zeus gave you instead of coddling her for no reason and keeping her in the dark about her purpose. gently caress you DC

Gal and Chris' chemistry saved the movie.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 11, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think the likelihood of WW beating MOS's domestic haul (291 million) is growing.

We won't really be able to make any predictions on how it will track over the rest of its run until after the 2nd and maybe 3rd weekends but I've got a sneaking suspicion it might even give BvS a run for its money on the domestic front.

The estimated numbers for WW's 2nd weekend just came out:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...ad/Man-of-Steel
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=dc.htm

Last Sunday it was $25 million behind Man Of Steel but at the end of this second weekend it's closed the gap to a mere $5m. It'll definitely overtake MoS soon (probably before next weekend), will overtake SS soon after that and then it's only a matter of time before it catches up to BvS. The only question now is how much it's going to beat BvS.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

It was better than MoS and BvS, so maybe Jenkins should save the DC?

Hardly. Jenkins is following in Snyder's footsteps, but never reaches the level of 300. The action is often uninteresting and awkward, and it's rather understandable because because Jenkins is not an action director.The thematics and politics are just weak. For example, there's little recognition of irony in sending warrior-princess powered by divine heritage into the conflict that destroyed aristocracy as a political force. And the third-hand Greek mythology (first loosely adapted for a comic book and then onto the big screen) is just a lame bastardisation. With 300 you can admire how it one-ups historical myth.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 11, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hardly. Jenkins is following in Snyder's footsteps, but never reaches the level of 300. The action is uninteresting and often awkward, and it's rather understandable because because Jenkins is not an action director.The thematics and politics are just weak. For example, there's little recognition of irony in sending warrior-princess powered by divine heritage into the conflict that destroyed aristocracy as a political force. And the third-hand Greek mythology (first loosely adapted for a comic book and then onto the big screen) is just a lame bastardisation. With 300 you can admire how it one-ups historical myth.

Amazing how you can be backwards and wrong about everything.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

I feel that point is ruined by the dudes helping to mass murderer London being happy buggy kids 5 seconds after Aries is defeated.

Why? Many of these soldiers really were just boys thrown into the fray. And I'm sure even the most hardened veteran would be relieved to be alive after being surrounded by what was literally the wrath of gods. They weren't freed from any mind control if that's what you're implying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Knight Boat posted:

Why? Many of these soldiers really were just boys thrown into the fray. And I'm sure even the most hardened veteran would be relieved to be alive after being surrounded by what was literally the wrath of gods. They weren't freed from any mind control if that's what you're implying.

The movie did a really, really poor job of conveying this, if that's even what it was trying to convey.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hardly. Jenkins is following in Snyder's footsteps, but never reaches the level of 300. The action is often uninteresting and awkward, and it's rather understandable because because Jenkins is not an action director.The thematics and politics are just weak. For example, there's little recognition of irony in sending warrior-princess powered by divine heritage into the conflict that destroyed aristocracy as a political force. And the third-hand Greek mythology (first loosely adapted for a comic book and then onto the big screen) is just a lame bastardisation. With 300 you can admire how it one-ups historical myth.

I have to agree with the action being uninteresting and awkward. I don't know if it was the camera angles, the choreography or both, but the combat lacked the impact that was shown on BvS. The final fight in particular is a considerable step down from Doomsday's battle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

The movie did a really, really poor job of conveying this, if that's even what it was trying to convey.

I feel like that reading of the ending outcome was clearly enforced when we see Diana looking over to the trio of awesome and them hugging it out after they ran out of ammo in the fight with the German soldiers, ready and willing to accept their fate. When the conflict is over, it's like a that trope when someone is in a situation where they're almost about to die, but miraculously live. They gratefully celebrate such a fortunate thing.

The film also explicitly tells us Ares isn't directly manipulating the German soldiers either; they're just following orders, as soldiers do. I suppose the film could have given us a bit of perspective from the German soldiers loading up the bomber, with a small bit of dialogue between some of them discussing the armistice and why they're still doing what they're doing. But I felt Ares' monologue was solid enough explanation of the situation imo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Since Ww got a floating Christ pose just like Superman, I'm really hoping Aquaman, flash and cyborg all get similar shots and Batman's the only guy without one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

I feel like that reading of the ending outcome was clearly enforced when we see Diana looking over to the trio of awesome and them hugging it out after they ran out of ammo in the fight with the German soldiers, ready and willing to accept their fate. When the conflict is over, it's like a that trope when someone is in a situation where they're almost about to die, but miraculously live. They gratefully celebrate such a fortunate thing.

The film also explicitly tells us Ares isn't directly manipulating the German soldiers either; they're just following orders, as soldiers do. I suppose the film could have given us a bit of perspective from the German soldiers loading up the bomber, with a small bit of dialogue between some of them discussing the armistice and why they're still doing what they're doing. But I felt Ares' monologue was solid enough explanation of the situation imo.

The film really doesn't play it this way, though. Once Aries is gone, the German troops do an instant, complete 180°. There's no trepidation or dawning realization, it's just instant brotherhood. Yeah, Aries says he's not mind-controlling anyone, but he's very obviously got a vested interest in convincing Diana of that, and the events immediately following his death seem very strongly to imply that he was lying. So, either the film muddles its themes at the very end, or does a really poor job of conveying what it meant to. Either way, a good movie was let down by a kind of disappointing, muddled ending. It's still a good movie, it's just not perfect, but no movie is.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Phylodox posted:

The film really doesn't play it this way, though. Once Aries is gone, the German troops do an instant, complete 180°. There's no trepidation or dawning realization, it's just instant brotherhood. Yeah, Aries says he's not mind-controlling anyone, but he's very obviously got a vested interest in convincing Diana of that, and the events immediately following his death seem very strongly to imply that he was lying. So, either the film muddles its themes at the very end, or does a really poor job of conveying what it meant to. Either way, a good movie was let down by a kind of disappointing, muddled ending. It's still a good movie, it's just not perfect, but no movie is.

He can't lie with the lasso around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Since Ww got a floating Christ pose just like Superman, I'm really hoping Aquaman, flash and cyborg all get similar shots and Batman's the only guy without one.

he gets one in the beginning of Batman V Superman.

• Locked thread