Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
God forbid that someone would blame the director for poor action scenes in a movie they directed.

Wandle Cax posted:

But no, a director known for small scale drama films was not chosen for her expertise in fight choreography and action scenes for this $200 whatever million film!

That seems like a miscalculation, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah i'm sure she had an input but I mean she literally would not have staged choreographed and directed the action scenes

Wandle Cax posted:

this $200 whatever million film!

I posted behind-the-scenes footage of her directing some of the action scenes and the production budget was $149 million, you're making a lot of dumb assumptions and getting really worked up about this film for some weird reason.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I posted behind-the-scenes footage of her directing some of the action scenes and the production budget was $149 million, you're making a lot of dumb assumptions and getting really worked up about this film for some weird reason.

Whoa buddy calm down there. Of course she was directing such pivotal scenes involving key character moments and things like that, she is the director of the film. All I am saying which I did not think would cause such a meltdown is that director is not solely responsible for staging and filming all action scenes in a film like this which apparently is not common knowledge, and that a statement like i guess the action in this movie sucks because Jenkins is not proficient at directing action is a bit simplistic.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'ts not 'common knowledge' because you're wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

Whoa buddy calm down there. Of course she was directing such pivotal scenes involving key character moments and things like that, she is the director of the film. All I am saying which I did not think would cause such a meltdown is that director is not solely responsible for staging and filming all action scenes in a film like this which apparently is not common knowledge, and that a statement like i guess the action in this movie sucks because Jenkins is not proficient at directing action is a bit simplistic.

well why not posted:

Directors direct everyone, including the second unit directors. They're still responsible for everything filmed, ultimately.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think what's throwing people off here is the concept that directors are not necessarily choreographers. They direct choreography, but that's just a small part of what creating an action setpiece entails, or else why would you even hire choreographers at all?

That being said...accounts from the cast, combined with video footage, would suggest that Jenkins was in fact pretty hands-on and involved and engaged in the process of creating action scenes. :allears:

But even still, even seeing those screenshots and gifs?...without actually being on set to observe the process, it's still hard to say just how much of those kinds of scenes a film owes directly to the director and not to the other hands in the pot.

Not that it ultimately matters, methinks, since the action in WW was generally pretty great. :buddy:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BrianWilly posted:

Not that it ultimately matters, methinks, since the action in WW was generally pretty great. :buddy:

Agreed. :haw::hf::haw:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's passable, but way below the high standard set by Snyder. It doesn't have the same force and impact, which is rather ironic for a movie about one of the most destructive conflicts in human history. Even the set-pieces are really unambitious.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

high standard set by Snyder.

loving lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well yeah, she's hands on in making the action scenes, like I said. But she most likely didn't personally direct every action scene filmed. I could be wrong, but I'll have to read her say that she did such a thing.

Like I said, it's very rare. Only a handful of directors do it, and usually they have a good visual stamp and want to keep it up. It's not a good thing or a bad thing. It's just a thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

loving lol.

hate it or love it, the guy is almost peerless at action directing. Movies would look very different if it wasn't for 300, Watchmen, Suckerpunch etc.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

well why not posted:

hate it or love it, the guy is almost peerless at action directing. Movies would look very different if it wasn't for 300, Watchmen, Suckerpunch etc.

pre-empting the judakel post: yeah they'd look a lot better am i right fellas???

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Agreed. I thought the action was great.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

well why not posted:

He did not originate that kind of highly stylized action. I'd argue his synthesis of styles can be traced back to The Matrix, if not further for individual aspects.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ungulateman posted:

pre-empting the judakel post: yeah they'd look a lot better am i right fellas???

Well... Yes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Agreed. I thought the action was great.

Most of the action seemed like pretty standard fare. Quick cuts as the hits land with a few long shots to emphasize a particularly elaborate move. It's basically what we see in most action movies that aren't centred around elaborate fight/stunt choreography.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Do they ever explain why a demigoddess would be flat as a surfboard? I assume that's like...the central mystery of the story.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm assuming you're talking about Gal Gadot's boobs. Aside from being a pretty creepy thing to say, she's not particularly flat-chested. Unless you're comparing her to how, like, Frank Cho draws Wonder Woman, but his style is almost entirely cheesecake.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Do they ever explain why a demigoddess would be flat as a surfboard? I assume that's like...the central mystery of the story.

WTF? She looks completely normal.

Maxim pics

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Charlz Guybon posted:

WTF? She looks completely normal.

Uh, sorry dude, but she's less than a D-cup so she isn't a REAL female superhero!!!

Sorry, I don't make the rules :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Here's how Frank Cho thinks Wonder Woman should look:

So, I guess if she's not that particular confluence of cheesecake and beefcake she's not really Wonder Woman?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Something tells me posting your stash of titty pics isn't owning the original dummy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Phylodox posted:

Most of the action seemed like pretty standard fare. Quick cuts as the hits land with a few long shots to emphasize a particularly elaborate move. It's basically what we see in most action movies that aren't centred around elaborate fight/stunt choreography.

Ive seen it twice now and ww grabbing the k98(?) rifle from one dude, knocing him the gently caress out and then blocking bullets and back handing another guy right before breaking it against her back :krad:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 12, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

poptart_fairy posted:

Something tells me posting your stash of titty pics isn't owning the original dummy.

Dont interrupt people when they are owning themselves. -Sun tzu

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It mostly avoided that loving terrible sliding stutter step movement that looks so weird and weightless whenever superman moves fast over a short distance, up until the end at least.

The action would probably have looked great if every goofy flip hadn't been in slomo. The first time she deflected a bullet in slowmo was great. By the end I never needed another.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought the slowmo backflips were cool, but there's maybe one or two too many.

I also think that CGI jumping has to go in general, with the Captain America movies being the worst offenders of this by far. The running leap that suddenly launches someone 20 metres (via digitally-erased wires) just never works for me. It's always floaty and odd looking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

It mostly avoided that loving terrible sliding stutter step movement that looks so weird and weightless whenever superman moves fast over a short distance, up until the end at least.

The action would probably have looked great if every goofy flip hadn't been in slomo. The first time she deflected a bullet in slowmo was great. By the end I never needed another.

The superspeed is MoS and BvS is loving awesome, get out of here. :mad:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I can forgive WW doing all those things because literal Demi-Goddess. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ShineDog posted:

When Faora did this in MoS to that group of soldiers, it was loving awesome.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

When Faora did this in MoS to that group of soldiers, it was loving awesome.

fuk yea

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

The third girl from the bottom knows what's up.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ungulateman posted:

I mean, they would.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drifter posted:

It is not very good. It's the worst action Snyder has ever done.

Also Wonder Woman's action scenes are great because what those scenes are about is great. So you can divorce it from context and study them, but that would take away the main reason why that scene rules.

That No Mans Land scene is pure visual storytelling, just how a good action scene should be.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I can't imagine watching Man of Steel and thinking any of the action is bad. It looks good even when it's a lovely GIF.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Regarding 2nd Unit directors, my understanding is that they're primarily for "non-principal" photography- i.e., photography not involving the principal actors. This includes stunts sometimes, but it's primarily about being efficient- being able to prep and shoot some scenes at the same time the main unit is shooting scenes with the cast.

Anyway the No Man's Land sequence was quite good- you get an excellent sense of what Diana is capable of, particularly when she starts using the lasso.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I can't imagine watching Man of Steel and thinking any of the action is bad. It looks good even when it's a lovely GIF.

Yeah sorry, if this is bad action and the worst Snyder has done it says some awful poo poo about the current state of comic book movies, because it is among the best of the current bunch.

And while I get the point about context, I think we can hope for well shot and executed scenes that are also telling good stories (which I believe the Snyder scenes are but I guess ymmv)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Wonder Woman had good action, and a few of the bits were really inspired - I particularly liked the flying knee through the wall and onto the roof, and the time they didn't even show her beating a guy but just had half the building unceremoniously collapse. However, MoS's Kryptonian fights represent the pinnacle of cinematic superhero action combat and I fear we'll never see their like again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's too much. It's a visual nightmare of CGI. I can't stand it. Wonder Woman was a tad bit better because I actually like Wonder Woman and all the characters. So as boring as the big CGI nightmare at the end of that was, I gave a little bit of a crap about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

What? We're talking about Man of Steel, not Transformers. You can always see who's doing what or where they've been sent flying or whatnot.

• Locked thread