Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
There are a number of American citizens that are disenfranchised due to the territory they live in, or US Nationals (American Samoans) that exist in a weird limbo state.

Needs fixing IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Spicer stream is live, who knows when the baby man himself will show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHJn_FTJiuk

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spicer press briefing stream has started

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

i wonder when trump is going to use the "an aid stole my phone" defense

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

my bony fealty posted:

Wonder if there's some correlation between 'is a poo poo president' and diet. Bill Clinton's vegan nowadays eh?

bill ate like poo poo and had to knock it off and clean up his diet so he wouldn't die. donnie is still chugging along with the child's diet

bill went to mcdonalds so often that even saturday night live with their finger on the slow pulse of dad humor made fun of him for it

also i'll take any excuse to post al gore's dick dot jpeg

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

You don't argue standing in a complaint, you just assert it. They assert subject matter jurisdiction in paragraph 21. They won't be arguing standing until the government files a motion to dismiss

You have to make specific assertions that, if assumed to be true, create standing. You don't just get to say "we have standing", you have to say "we have standing, because...". Then on the motion to dismiss your assertions are assumed to be true, and the other side can challenge if those create standing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pellisworth posted:

Spicer stream is live, who knows when the baby man himself will show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHJn_FTJiuk

He's busy watching the end of the PC Gamer E3 stream.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sorus posted:

There are a number of American citizens that are disenfranchised due to the territory they live in, or US Nationals (American Samoans) that exist in a weird limbo state.

Needs fixing IMO.

Merge the Dakotas, allow PR statehood. Give American Pacific Territories a rep or two.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've always been a bit against DC statehood myself, really. Keeping it as a separate federal district but ceding all non-federal property to adjoining states is my preference, if something must be done at all.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

Merge the Dakotas, allow PR statehood. Give American Pacific Territories a rep or two.

The Constitution specifically forbids merging states without the consent of their state legislatures:

quote:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ivanka plug

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mcmagic posted:

I forgot about that. Agenda item number 1 when they retake power and get rid of the filibuster should be to make both PR and DC states and boom, 4 more democratic senators.

DC is too small for proper statehood. Shrink it down to federal property around the mall and cede the rest back to Maryland.

Frankly I think territories are a dumb vestige of colonialism. If they can't get a mandate for statehood, wipe their debts and cut them loose.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Now speaking, Droopy Dog

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

evilweasel posted:

You have to make specific assertions that, if assumed to be true, create standing. You don't just get to say "we have standing", you have to say "we have standing, because...". Then on the motion to dismiss your assertions are assumed to be true, and the other side can challenge if those create standing.

Well, yea you assert it. I probably worded that bad bc phone posting. It just seemed like they were asking where the arguments are because it seemed different than the motion to dismiss that was discussed earlier (bc it's a complaint)

Prolly doing a terrible job of explaining what I am trying to say

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Don't trust this Smeagol looking motherfucker.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Piell posted:

Now speaking, Droopy Dog

:perfect:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
THE APPRENTICE (ship)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874317609432469505
https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/874293639580708867
https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/874294483692568576
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874306065646616576
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/874255793012473857
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/874280092725391360
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/874297398478221314
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/874300131688030208

:siren:
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/874282892389752833 :siren:

https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/874115787669336065

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nothus posted:

DC is too small for proper statehood. Shrink it down to federal property around the mall and cede the rest back to Maryland.

Frankly I think territories are a dumb vestige of colonialism. If they can't get a mandate for statehood, wipe their debts and cut them loose.

DC has more people than Wyoming or Vermont.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nothus posted:

if Wyoming can be a state and have 2 senators, why can't DC?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Looking forward to my 20 year apprenticeship

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

I've always been a bit against DC statehood myself, really. Keeping it as a separate federal district but ceding all non-federal property to adjoining states is my preference, if something must be done at all.

I believe that's the Lamar Alexander approach.

after the senate voted to give DC representation in the house posted:

Senator Lamar Alexander, chairman of the Republican conference, explained the opposition this way in a statement after the vote: “The bill passed by the Senate is unconstitutional because the District of Columbia is not a state. Our nation was formed by states, and the District is a unique city – not a state. The Constitution itself makes that distinction. The most logical alternative for giving D.C. residents full representation in Congress would be to give the District back to Maryland. The District was created from land ceded by Virginia and Maryland. Just as Arlington and part of Alexandria went back to Virginia in 1846, most of the District could again become part of Maryland, leaving only a small area around key federal buildings and monuments. I voted for an amendment that would have given DC residents full voting rights under this approach. Another option would be to keep the District as a separate entity, but allow DC residents to vote in Maryland. Congress should have passed one of these alternatives instead of passing an unconstitutional bill.”

Nothus posted:

DC would be the 3rd least populous state if made into a state. Vermont and Wyoming have fewer people.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Preet Bhara for Attorney General

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

There Bias Two posted:

So is it totally dead now? I doubt the Supreme Court will wish to hear it.

In a five to four decision today...

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Nothus posted:

- More votes for us
- gently caress you

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nothus posted:

D.C. has a bigger population than multiple states. Not letting those citizens have an equal say in their government is wrong.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Questions?
1 billion in private money
Next question
Next question

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sinteres posted:

This is the kind of poo poo cult members would say.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/874297130164289536

This creeps me the gently caress out.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

EwokEntourage posted:

Questions?
Next question
Next question

Next question
Ivanka Trump

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
"We are fostering private investment into work programs!"
"How?"
"We talked about it."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

That's a pretty common theme with conservative politicians: acting like there is no record of their positions and talking to people like they are credulous 5 year olds. Probably because they know crying hypocrite doesn't actually do anything.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

That's a pretty common theme with conservative politicians: acting like there is no record of their positions and talking to people like they are credulous 5 year olds. Probably because they know crying hypocrite doesn't actually do anything.

I understand that they are morally bankrupt and can do that, what I don't understand are people that continue to support them with obvious evidence of such right in their faces.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe that's the Lamar Alexander approach.

DC would be the 3rd least populous state if made into a state. Vermont and Wyoming have fewer people.

Someone should tell him that Virginia is a commonwealth. They've been voting illegally for years!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Republican tweets from today: "Robert Mueller has no business leading this partisan witch hunt."
Republican tweets from before: "just the lyrics from dragula over and over"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

I understand that they are morally bankrupt and can do that, what I don't understand are people that continue to support them with obvious evidence of such right in their faces.

Most of the people who like Newt probably aren't also reading Katy Turr on twitter.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

It's basically the same theory as existing lawsuits (that businesses harmed by Trump's business have standing) and doesn't add much beyond that it is "a state". I still think they'll all get dismissed on standing/political question grounds.

I felt better about the prospects of the case before they used the press conference to hype up checks and balances and complain about congress not doing something.

It seemed like they did a great job demonstrating that the case was most certainly being brought for political reasons due to a failure to get what they wanted in congress.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Spotted this on Haaretz, more details on where Israel got its intel:
https://twitter.com/nadabakos/status/874314622207234048

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Who is this guy at the press briefing? Where is Spicey?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

So why didn't the Democrats make Puerto Rico a state when they had 60 votes in 2009?

Of all the things you've said that were not that simple - holy poo poo, this is Not That Simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

I felt better about the prospects of the case before they used the press conference to hype up checks and balances and complain about congress not doing something.

It seemed like they did a great job demonstrating that the case was most certainly being brought for political reasons due to a failure to get what they wanted in congress.

That doesn't really matter for the outcome of the case though

• Locked thread