Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xbox 2013.1 Update 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

XBOX ONE X
XBOX ONE X

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

what the gently caress microsoft

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

xxx bone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x

prominently advertising 12GB of gddr5

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hobbesmaster posted:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x

prominently advertising 12GB of gddr5

aww it doesn't have the wrong ram anymore

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dont be mean to me posted:

Xbox 2013.1 Update 1

brought to you by Bing! 365 for Skype Workgroups

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chris Knight posted:

brought to you by Bing! 365 for Skype Workgroups

will 4 different skus for some reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's called office 365 because when you see it, you turn 365 degres and walk away

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

X
Box
One
X

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
it's very clever m$

how's that working out for you, being clever?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xbonex

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/874086367935971328

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that was the first good console controller

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
the tech is actually cool, shame about the price though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE2hNrq1Zxs

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
was it that bad of a presentation?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
no i thought it was a pretty good reveal of a porsche

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

haha

all good if you get paid tho, as long as its at worst just a waste of time

update: our it guys also use slack concurrently with a slack fork, so that's four

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

im glad they're gonna bring back the original xbox controller for the XboxoneX

AAB fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 12, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cgi ellen feiss is so done with this

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

remember that $500 console you bought in 2013? we've got another $500 console just for you this one has more ram and flops but the exact same library of games

and the only feature that consistently makes news is the library of games from the previous generation you can now play on it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

flakeloaf posted:

and the only feature that consistently makes news is the library of games from the previous generation you can now play on it

that's all they have

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

that's all they have
yea xXx-bone-xXx is useless untill they unfuck game library. you can buy ps4 pro for less, or a dedicated streaming box for far less

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it's like that one guy in your group who's always saying "hey guys you remember that thign we did that was fun, we should do that thing again" and nobody has the heart to tell him to stop talking about 2001 and try to discover new things

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

it's like that one guy in your group who's always saying "hey guys you remember that thign we did that was fun, we should do that thing again" and nobody has the heart to tell him to stop talking about 2001 and try to discover new things

stop discussing my counter strike and diablo buddies

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

this is like that george carlin bit about the name george and how it sounds like it's never finished

g-e-o-r-g-e-o-r-g-e-o-r-g-e....

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i miss completely broken cs 0.x

oh well, I guess we all need more hats!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

i miss completely broken cs 0.x

oh well, I guess we all need more hats!

my man, all rage is about gloves now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dodoman posted:

the tech is actually cool, shame about the price though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE2hNrq1Zxs

:techno:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

Xbox 2013.1 Update 1
Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox One Fall X

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox One Fall X

xbox x force iv

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

d2 has some badass mods now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

d2 has some badass mods now
nah, they want to play d3 and csgo. not that stuck in the past. nonetheless tho, median xl is dank, and it did receive a major update just in may, i think

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox One Fall X

2 X 2 BOX.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

the only people who buy any xboxes one x will be people who already own an xbone, the same thing is happening with the ps4 pro but it's not double the price of a normal ps4

some of us who held out on the original PS4 got the PS4 Pro

both Microsoft and Sony seem like they're (finally) trying to emulate the iPhone in having better hardware every couple years with real backwards compatibility—including improved performance for existing software, not just emulation

it's about time, MS could've really cleaned up if that had been their Xbox strategy from the start

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Minecraft is about to enter its final form. In August, the Better Together update will land and unify the game across nearly every platform, from iOS and Android to Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. This unification comes courtesy of the Bedrock Engine, which currently powers all mobile, Windows 10, Amazon Fire and VR versions of the game. Now, it won't matter which platform your friends use to play Minecraft -- every version will be the same, they'll share DLC and updates, and all players will be able to create new worlds together.

Well, nearly all. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360 versions of Minecraft are not included in the initial Better Together update.

"Beginning with Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, we'll be expanding that code base so that all -- the vast majority of our community is united," marketing lead Emily Orrson says.

The Better Together update brings Bedrock to the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch versions of Minecraft, allowing them to play with nearly every other version of the game. With the update, participating consoles get Realms (the game's multiplayer mode), plus the newly launched Community Marketplace. Any existing worlds will transfer directly to Bedrock, as will all DLC players have purchased. The Better Together update also brings infinite worlds to Xbox One and Switch, up from the current, limited grid of about 3 miles by 3 miles.

"They've been asking for some relief there for a long time, and now they'll be able to walk right up inside of those worlds and continue generating them infinitely," executive producer Jesse Merriam says.

But players on PS4, arguably the most popular current-gen console on the market, won't be moved to Bedrock right away.

"Our goal is to unite all Minecraft players," Merriam. "Today we're able to confirm Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, but all of our current-gen partners -- we're interested in connecting all of the Minecraft players. It's just about what we can confirm today."

The PS4 and Xbox 360 versions of Minecraft will retain their platform-specific names, while the Java version will formally be named Minecraft: Java Edition, which is what most players call it anyway. So, now, there's the core Minecraft game and three fragmented editions (PS4, Xbox 360 and Java) that aren't guaranteed to receive the same updates or cross-platform capabilities as the main version. It's a welcome step toward unity, but not a complete leap just yet.

"We're partnered very closely with Apple, Google, PlayStation, Nintendo, Amazon, our VR partners -- a lot of that, it just is a lot to make sure we're always working in everyone's store and everything else," Orrson says. "Right now we are doing our best to get everybody connected, but it is work to work through all of the scenarios we encounter."

Microsoft bought Minecraft in 2014 for $2.5 billion, so it makes sense the Xbox One version is getting some love in the Better Together update. Of course, Sony builds the PS4.

"It's not for lack of wanting to or effort on our part," senior global communications manager Aubrey Norris says. "We are in discussions with our partners right now. We want PlayStation and we invite Sony to bring PlayStation players onto Bedrock, but we can't get any further into -- these are confidential discussions."

Microsoft and developer Mojang are far from done with Minecraft. Better Together is part of a larger push to transform Minecraft into a "creative platform." Developers want it to be more than a game. They want it to be the foundation for community-driven innovation, connection and creativity.

The Community Marketplace, which hit Pocket and Windows 10 editions in June, was a big part of this transition, allowing players to search for, buy and sell their own in-game creations.

Servers are also getting some attention in Better Together. These allow players to mess around in completely unique worlds built by dedicated fans. Now, there'll be a Servers tab next to the "Worlds" and "Friends" tabs at start-up, introducing a whole new community of players to fan-favorite universes like Lifeboat, an endeavor created by a 14-year-old and his dad that boasts 6 million players per month. Initial servers landing on Bedrock are Lifeboat, CubeCraft, Mineplex and InPvP.

One final update makes Minecraft even more self-contained: A built-in crafting recipe book.

"We want to bring the strengths of all the existing crafting systems together," Merriam says. "Today, the Java edition is really known for discovery and experimentation as you go to the crafting grid and try things out and see what actually turns out to be a recipe."

The recipe book will allow fans to toggle recipes directly in the crafting grid, eliminating the need to set down the game and find the relevant Wiki page. But, those who like to experiment with recipes are free to ignore the book completely.

"Anyone who's interacted with a hardcore Minecraft fan will know there's a lot of pride a kid will feel if they know the recipe for a boat," Merriam says.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

same

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just shut minecraft down

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

just shut minecraft down
they paid billions for one of the most sold games in history of anything so no, that's not happening any time soon

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
When you're objective and make good arguments and are also good at writing

quote:

Over the weekend, I described my expectations for Microsoft's Xbox One X reveal. Reflecting on what Microsoft did announce last night, I can now say that my expectations were nicely matched, exceeded, and then blown away.

The Xbox One X is exactly what Xbox fans have been asking for: the world's most powerful console. With no caveats.

I love that.

The trouble with most Microsoft product launches, frankly, is that there are always important unanswered questions. But with Xbox One decisively losing the current generation of video games consoles despite many improvements over time, we needed certainty. And we got it.

Xbox One X is a beast. It neatly leapfrogs its only real competition, the Sony PlayStation 4 Pro. And provides a level of performance that is impossible to duplicate on gaming PCs at this price point. In fact, you'd pretty much have to spend double---or triple---the Xbox One X's $500 price tag to achieve this level of performance on a PC. But you'd still be stuck with the PC's reliability and complexity problems.

Are you kidding me?

Xbox One X should also be viewed in a continuum of platform improvements that benefit all Xbox fans. Microsoft has completely rewritten the traditional console playbook and now offers a cohesive family of solutions that bridges consoles, Windows 10 PCs, and various online services. Your investment in Xbox is just that, an investment. And the payoff is both obvious and material.

For example, with Backward Compatibility, Microsoft has protected your investment in the Xbox platform by bringing forward almost 400 (so far) Xbox 360 game titles to the Xbox One family. And starting this year, you'll be able to play classic Xbox 360 game titles via Backward Compatibility too. That's several hundred games, spanning over 16 years and three console generations.

Are you kidding me?

The correctness of Microsoft's Xbox strategy can also be seen in how the firm is positioning Xbox One X. Here we have not a brand new and incompatible console, but rather a brand new and completely compatible console. It offers important and desirable new features and it works with all your games, peripherals, and services.

Are you kidding me?

What's beautiful about Xbox One X, aside from the obvious---4K graphics, 60 fps, and so on---is that it's not a hard stop with the past. It's part of a progression. And for users with different pricing concerns, Microsoft has options. For users with different needs, Microsoft has options. For users with 4K, HDR, and home theater setups of all kinds, oh my, does Microsoft have options.

Look, I know that gamers are a tough audience. Critics will point to Sony's apparently unassailable lead, which is absolutely fair. Some will point to Sony's exclusives, which is also fair, though I'd point out in return that 22 of the 42 Xbox One games that Microsoft showed off yesterday are, in fact, Xbox One exclusives.

But we've moved past the point where we can argue that Microsoft isn't doing enough. Microsoft hasn't just answered the criticisms, and it hasn't just risen to the challenge. It has a delivered a console that is absolutely and provably superior to that offered by the competition. And it has done so at a price point that is both reasonable and fair. And within an ecosystem that is both broad and deep.

Last November, when Sony released the PlayStation 4 Pro, I reevaluated my console preferences to determine whether I'd stick with Microsoft or make a switch. But the strength of the Xbox platform of which Xbox One X is now a part won me over. From the "perfect thing" that is the elegant Xbox One S to the incredible and unrivaled Xbox One Elite Wireless controller to the many online services and offerings---like Xbox Live Gold, Backward Compatibility, Xbox Play Anywhere, Xbox Game Pass, and more---that we all enjoy, Xbox is something special, folks.

And the Xbox One X makes it better. All of it.

I can't wait to buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

When you're objective and make good arguments and are also good at writing

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/118167/xbox-one-x-xbox-enhanced-premium

that's premium content! don't tell me you pay for that...

• Locked thread