Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do you get mad at single mothers whose ex-husbands "try really hard to pay child support"(aka less than ordered and late) until they got cancer? It's the same, it just sounds weird to you because it's the child and not her mother left holding the bag.

The divorce agreement was unenforceable. Its not the same. Not to mention she's 29, so child support this aint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barudak posted:

Yeah, Dad is legally obligated then tried to shirk it and payed late for years before getting cancer and bad business got him. If he didnt have cancer people would be like that sucks old man, but also goddamn how much student loan did this child have.
130k. Not sure if it's in the text there but it was in the BWM thread in BFC.

OctaMurk posted:

The divorce agreement was unenforceable. Its not the same.
Yeah, I mean, I'd still feel bad for a single mother who found out her child support agreement was unenforceable. He signed the contract knowing what it meant. Ethically he is obligated to pay regardless of what the law says - he made a promise, that's how it works.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I guess I'm mad because she's having her education fully paid for and is complaining because her dad got cancer

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

His mistakes, which include trying to give his daughter a debt free education, and getting cancer.

:911:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lareine posted:

My(23M) asexual gf(22F) of two years has ceased all forms of physical contact since I told her I'm okay with her sexuality. She also lied to me. Should I break it up?

Yaaaaay asexuals

His gf is completely gay. Like totally.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

130k. Not sure if it's in the text there but it was in the BWM thread in BFC.

Yeah, I mean, I'd still feel bad for a single mother who found out her child support agreement was unenforceable. He signed the contract knowing what it meant. Ethically he is obligated to pay regardless of what the law says - he made a promise, that's how it works.

I don't feel bad at all though--shes 29, not a child, and old enough to take care of herself. She has already completed her education, and even if dad didn't pay for the whole thing, he sure helped out a lot already.

She got a way better deal than the vast majority of people, and by now she should be well-off enough to handle the loans herself while her dad dies of loving cancer.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm missing context here, why, at 29, isn't she fully responsible for the cost of her education?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
^^^Because you don't get to ditch obligations just because they're old.

Gonna side with the lady. Dad's obviously a sack of poo poo who was just lucky enough to get cancer. I hope it's lung cancer.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I love my mother, but sometimes she's wound a bit too tight. My girlfriend [26F] and I have been dating for 7.5 years. I fully intend to marry this girl. We've lived together for 3.5 years and still going strong.

My girlfriend and I are polar opposites. She's more sweet and conserved while I'm a bit out there. She's exactly like my mother without the whole "You're my son until you die so let me try to control everything," bit.

She dislikes my girlfriend yet tries to dictate every aspect of her life whenever my girlfriend comes around. I've politely and on two occasions aggressively told her to butt the hell out, but she doesn't quit.

Recently I wanted to add onto my tattoos getting my girlfriend's name. When my father told my mother about this she invited us to Sunday dinner under a ruse and repeatedly brought up articles about how couples who get their SO's name tatted on them either break up, regret it, etc etc. I just nod my head and ignore it. I'm a grown man. I'll do what I want until she bursts out that I'm an idiot for getting my girlfriend's name tatted on me. And to make matters worse my girlfriend who has a sort of tiger-kitten personality when angered jumps up defending me and runs out the door.

I run after her and console her. Like I, she's tired of my mother. After she's gone home my mother cries telling me my girlfriend doesn't like her, she just wants the best for me, blah blah blah.

I'm stuck between a rock in a hard place here, and I'm not sure if this is about the tattoo (still getting it) or more of an underlying issue. I want all three of us to talk it out, but at the moment it doesn't look my girlfriend is up for it. I don't know what to do.

tl;dr: My mom is crazy and doesn't want me to tat my girlfriend's name on my body. My girlfriend is pissed.

This was amazing. "My mom sucks for making me dinner so she could try to talk me out of a really stupid idea. I'm 26."

Also, as mentioned, my gf is just like my mom feels... like how could you be so not-self-aware as to actually write that sentence.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I guess I'm mad because she's having her education fully paid for and is complaining because her dad got cancer
She's drowning in debt because she made decisions based on the assumption that her father was a man of his word and the court system is sane. Like, I get that her post comes off as heartless, she's not a great communicator, but her grievance is legit. Do you let people just back out of promises because they're inconvenient? That's not something I take lightly and, if you have any self-respect, you shouldn't either.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

^^^Because you don't get to ditch obligations just because they're old.

Gonna side with the lady. Dad's obviously a sack of poo poo who was just lucky enough to get cancer. I hope it's lung cancer.

But, like, she's co-signed on the loans? So they're her responsibility too?

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I get that he's been lovely and almost-deadbeat for much of her life (which might explain her lack of sympathy for his cancer). I'm just trying to understand. Were the parents well-off during the divorce? Did they / she not expect that she'd be taking on the debt at some point, like most other students who borrow money to go to college?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

She's drowning in debt because she made decisions based on the assumption that her father was a man of his word and the court system is sane. Like, I get that her post comes off as heartless, she's not a great communicator, but her grievance is legit. Do you let people just back out of promises because they're inconvenient? That's not something I take lightly and, if you have any self-respect, you shouldn't either.

Ok, I get it, she never expected to be responsible for any of the debt. That's incredibly generous of her parents! Maybe she should be more thankful for their intentions.

e:

quote:

Also, he has an RV and the monthly payment costs more than my loan. He only recently decided to sell the RV, but he doesn't like the trade-in value someone quoted him...so he's going to keep it.

I missed this, gently caress em, they're both lovely people (except for the mom)

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 12, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Not being able to buy a second car while owning your own home isn't drowning in debt. Just as dad agreed to pay, she agreed to pay when she co-signed. He has cancer, can't work, and she agreed by co-signing that she would pay if he couldn't. Dad isn't the only person in the equation with responsibilities.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Uh does asexuality usually involve shunning all forms of physical contact?

Physical contact with other people is actually good for your mood and overall mental health. Going without (hugs, kisses, cuddles, handshakes, piledrivers, sitting next to people, etc) can take a mental toll. Actively avoiding all physical contact is a sign of something else being wrong.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It sounds like he wasn't holding up his end of the deal when things wete going well, either. I.don't see it as strange.for her to have expected him to pay just because some if not most students have to pau their own way. If it was stipulated that he would pay, he should have paid.

She is also well past time to adjust her expectations of her deadbeat dad. She needs to come to terms with the fact that her dad doesn't honor his obligations.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Haifisch posted:

Father [59] stopped paying my [29F] student loans

I'm confused, why isn't my broke cancer dad paying my student loans? I need more car and now I can't afford it. :qq:

Don't gently caress your kids

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Physical contact with other people is actually good for your mood and overall mental health. Going without (hugs, kisses, cuddles, handshakes, piledrivers, sitting next to people, etc) can take a mental toll. Actively avoiding all physical contact is a sign of something else being wrong.

Men invented wrestling because it's the only form of contact young boys are allowed without it being gay

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fullhouse posted:

Men invented wrestling because gay

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oooooo piledrivers. :kiddo:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The greeks both liked wrestling and gay sex, so Im pretty sure they didnt need an excuse to get oiled up and nude with other men, what they needed was a scoring system

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

So make better decisions instead if spending 130k on something like a loving English degree.

And yes. It's called bankruptcy. But our stupid country made student debt immune to it as tuition prices skyrockrt.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
YEAH, she should of majored in a STEM field, been driven out due to rampant sexism, gone mad with rage, and designed a bomb that kills all men and makes #WhiteGenocide the theme of every video game. Because she loving didnt she deserves to rot in a god drat gutter. FREE MARKET BICTH

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

YEAH, she should of majored in a STEM field, been driven out due to rampant sexism, gone mad with rage, and designed a bomb that kills all men and makes #WhiteGenocide the theme of every video game. Because she loving didnt she deserves to rot in a god drat gutter. FREE MARKET BICTH

There are non-STEM degrees that provode job opportunities. Anyone who co signs for 100k+ of college debt without an idea of how they will make money from that education, is a bit daft tbh.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
just smh if you think there's any reason for anyone to ever be educated besides the bare minimum required for them to make money for the capitalist system tbqh

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've never heard of a divorce decree that forces parents to pay for student loans before, but if the parents are co-signed on the loans, then its likely as an obligation of the marital estate (like a credit card debt) rather than an obligation to the daughter.

She's wrong because he doesn't owe her the money like she thinks, he's just on the hook for it like she is.

He's wrong because he's bankrupting himself playing King of the Road while he shits all over their collective credit rating by shirking his obligations.

They're both wrong and they both suck.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

I've never heard of a divorce decree that forces parents to pay for student loans before, but if the parents are co-signed on the loans, then its likely as an obligation of the marital estate (like a credit card debt) rather than an obligation to the daughter.

Phhbbttt. Family court property divisions are more or less toothless. Worst case you get a judgment.

quote:

She's wrong because he doesn't owe her the money like she thinks, he's just on the hook for it like she is.

He's wrong because he's bankrupting himself playing King of the Road while he shits all over their collective credit rating by shirking his obligations.

They're both wrong and they both suck.

She's a lovely entitled person whom at 29 should be either in IBR or PSLF and the system is lovely because it charged her that goddamn much and is nondischargeable.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

YEAH, she should of majored in a STEM field, been driven out due to rampant sexism, gone mad with rage, and designed a bomb that kills all men and makes #WhiteGenocide the theme of every video game.

I remember being optimistic :sigh:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

OctaMurk posted:

The divorce agreement was unenforceable. Its not the same. Not to mention she's 29, so child support this aint.

yeah I straight up don't get this, my mom didn't (and couldn't) help me at all with my education, I straight up do not understand how this could even be an agreement in a divorce case, she's an adult.

e: which is prolly why the courts took a look at it and went "nope this isn't a thing"

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 12, 2017

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So make better decisions instead if spending 130k on something like a loving English degree.

And yes. It's called bankruptcy. But our stupid country made student debt immune to it as tuition prices skyrockrt.

Can't you pay 'em off with credit cards then declare bankruptcy on those?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
but yeah as far as student loans go I feel like it's super counterintuitive that it's at no risk to the school so they have no reason to actually help the students succeed. Like if you invest in a private business and it goes bankrupt, but schools essentially invest in kids knowing full well that it's not gonna work out for them but it doesn't matter cause they're not on the hook.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

One Trick To Pay Off Tuition: Colleges Hate Him!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cancer Dad can get out of the loans by being disabled (y'know, cancer) if he goes through the proper steps. That's the only way to get Federal school loan poo poo forgiven, as far as I know. Putting your loans on credit cards and swinging for bankruptcy carries risk of fraud.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just hope the daughter can afford another car so as to avoid the terrible burden of car sharing.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I imagine the dad also owes way more on the motor home than it's worth because they don't age well which is why turning it in or selling it isn't an option.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

In lovely American suburbia, being a 30+ minute walk from the nearest store can be a thing. It's like a well-manicured bowling green prison. That said, if they reaaaaly need a second car, they can get a cheapass used beater rather than a 2018 special edition whatever.

There are also things they could do with Federal student loans, like put them on hold for a while or seek reduced payments temporarily. They're surprisingly accommodating about that stuff. The gubment just wants its money eventually, not right now. They're playing the long con.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Batterypowered7 posted:

Last time I checked MyFedLoan only gives me options to pay from a bank account not from a card.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

In lovely American suburbia, being a 30+ minute walk from the nearest store can be a thing. It's like a well-manicured bowling green prison. That said, if they reaaaaly need a second car, they can get a cheapass used beater rather than a 2018 special edition whatever.

A 30-minute walk would put you pretty drat close in, I've lived in still definitely suburban neighborhoods where it was more like six miles. But like taking out six-figure college loan debt you have no plan to repay and then reupping for grad school, this would be one of those entirely optional life choices for a grown rear end adult where the drawbacks were clearly signposted going in

Dad did the absolute bare minimum he could get away with, which was still more than the vast majority of people will ever, ever see, and the OP is an inextinguishable 29-year money fire who throws a fit about only getting a free $500 every month while their parents can still afford luxuries like 'two plane tickets, ever'; it sounds like a case of the rotten apple not falling too far from the rotten tree.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 13, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I hope they both die of cancer. The painful kind

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Here's a really good Bridezilla one for the ages. Long but worth the read for the rare good guy husband:

Me (25F), the inadvertant cause of dramas at the wedding of my boyfriend’s sister (23F) tearing his family apart.

quote:

Throwaway and changed names, because the usual reasons. Sorry - this got longer than I expected.

Background: I live in a small town in the rural north of England. I’ve lived here my whole life and have a job I love working on a local farm. My work uniform is overalls, basically, and my non-work ‘uniform’ is usually jeans and baggy men’s shirts. I don’t wear make-up, and though I have long hair, I usually keep it in a simple pony tail to keep it out of the way while I’m working. I’m not a girly girl, I guess is my point here.

My boyfriend Dan (25) and I were at school together, though we didn’t get together as a couple until three years ago when he came back from university to take over running his dad’s business. He and I always got on well since schooldays, even though he and his family are from the posh end of town and I’m definitely not. But we’re a great couple with very similar views and goals as far as relationships and life are concerned. He's very down to earth, which is partly why we're such a good fit.

Dan’s sister Sarah is a little bit of a princess - Dan’s view is that she’s always been spoiled as she’s the only girl and the youngest of four kids. I don’t really have much to do with her because we just have nothing in common, and she’s made it pretty clear she doesn’t understand women who work, as she’s intending to be supported by her husband, having been supported by her parents first.

Sarah’s wedding was two Saturdays ago, and it was held at what used to be ‘The Hall’ - the big house on the edge of town. It was sold by the local nobility a number of years ago and is now a fancy hotel/venue with a licence to conduct weddings in what was the family chapel. The schedule was: ceremony at 1pm, followed by a formal meal with speeches, etc and an evening party with dancing and more people, all taking place at the one location.

I’ve never been to a really fancy wedding before, let alone one where it will be such a long event, and it was also the first ‘formal’ event that Dan and I have been to together, so I wanted not to show him up. With my mum’s help, I went and shopped for a nice dress to wear, and organised an appointment on Saturday morning at a beauty place in the nearest big town for a proper hair do and to have make-up done professionally so that it would last through the day since I have no clue how to keep touching up. They didn’t cut my hair, but for the first time ever I wore it up and styled in something other than a pony tail. When Dan came to the house to pick me up he told me I looked amazing, which I took with a pinch of salt. He also, because he’s awesome, said it in a way that didn’t make me feel bad about the way I usually look.

So we went to the wedding, and the ceremony was very nice, then we went through for the happy couple to do a handshaking line before they had photos done while the guests mingled before eating. When Dan and I got to the front of the queue I noticed how surprised Sarah was when she saw me, but to be honest, I’d been getting a lot of double takes, because this was so completely different than how I usually look, so I didn’t think anything of it.

This is when it all went to hell. While we were chatting with one of Dan’s brothers and his wife, one of Sarah’s bridesmaids came up and asked if she could have a quiet word with me. She took me to one side and said that Sarah said I had to leave the wedding. She was apparently furious that I’d tried to upstage her on her special day and that I wasn’t welcome any more. She said that if I didn’t just leave now Sarah was going to ask the hotel staff to remove me. To her credit, the bridesmaid was clearly incredibly embarrassed by the whole thing. I’m sure I blushed crimson. I couldn’t believe it, but I looked around and saw Sarah watching the message being delivered with such anger on her face that I realised it was a serious demand.

I didn’t want to cause a fuss, so I just took Dan out of the reception room and told him I needed to go home. He was concerned that I was ill or something, because he said I looked so distressed. I wasn’t going to tell him what had happened, but he looked so worried that something was seriously wrong that I just started crying and told him what had happened. He didn’t say a word, just went back inside then came back out five minutes later with my bag and shawl and his coat then he put me in his car and we drove back to my mum and dad’s house. I kept telling him he had to go back to the wedding, but he said he didn’t want to be around his sister right then or probably ever again. I just kept crying and he kept telling me I hadn’t done anything wrong.

I only found out the next day that when he’d gone back in, he’d walked up to Sarah and her new husband, who were having photos taken with both their parents, and told her he couldn’t believe what a jealous bitch she was, then told everyone what she’d done and how upset I was. Sarah’s reaction was that it was my own fault, which just made him angrier, and that’s when he left to take me home.

But it gets worse. Sarah’s parents completely take her side, but Dan’s brothers and their wives are adamant that Sarah was totally in the wrong. Once they found out what had happened, his oldest brother and his wife left the wedding in protest too before the evening event even started. (I have a feeling that the sister-in-law has been on the receiving end of Sarah's spoiled behaviour before.) Sarah and husband went off on honeymoon the next day, but Sarah’s mum has reported that she says they’re rowing every day because he says she’s shown a horrible, jealous side that he couldn’t believe she had. (She called her mum from the honeymoon to get moral support.)

They’re due back at the end of this week and Dan’s mum has withdrawn my invitation to the ‘welcome home newlyweds’ lunch she’s throwing and said I’m no longer welcome in their home because I sabotaged Sarah’s day and her honeymoon. Dan has told her that she, his dad and Sarah are no longer welcome in his house, and his brothers have all basically said the same thing. Dan’s view is that even if Sarah apologised the damage is done and he doesn’t want her poisonous presence in his life ever again.

And I’m horrified that I’m the cause of this, even though I never intended to cause any trouble. How would you advise I try to help fix this mess?

TL;DR Boyfriend’s sister accused me of trying to upstage her at her wedding and now boyfriend’s family is at war as they take sides. How can I sort it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

but yeah as far as student loans go I feel like it's super counterintuitive that it's at no risk to the school so they have no reason to actually help the students succeed. Like if you invest in a private business and it goes bankrupt, but schools essentially invest in kids knowing full well that it's not gonna work out for them but it doesn't matter cause they're not on the hook.
OTOH, it's pretty rare for a private business to decide that it wants to spend its time smoking weed and getting 19 year olds pregnant instead of selling Mexican/Indian fusion burritos or whatever.