Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Large companies like Ubisoft and Microsoft will never stop trying to push their own multiplayer and storefront platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
War of the Chosen looks loving incredible. Holy poo poo.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zigmidge posted:

What this e3 is teaching me is that out of touch gamers my age who have pined away for these super old games are now in management positions.

This happens in every form of media, particularly film and comic books. Kids grow up in love with their niche favorites, go into the industry motivated by that love, and do everything they can to bring back that thing they and they alone loved.

If anyone was dumb enough to make me a publishing executive we'd have a King Arthur's World trilogy and yearly installments of R-Type...

Drifter posted:

Although a sequel for BGE is like pining for a sequel of Heavy Metal 2000 or something. Like, who the gently caress cares anymore? Twelve years too late.

...And Heavy Metal FAKK 3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

What this e3 is teaching me is that out of touch gamers my age who have pined away for these super old games are now in management positions.

BG&E2 isn't something they're suddenly attempting now, they've been making it in one form or another for practically the entire 15 years since the first game's release.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duckfarts posted:

holy poo poo

I was joking with a friend about an imaginary person saying "why aren't you killing black and Hispanic nazis, huh?" but it's all happening wtf

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/the-alt-right-thinks-wolfenstein-the-new-colossus-is-racist-to-white-people

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15780596/wolfenstein-2-the-new-colossus-alt-right-nazi-outrage

lol

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Somebody at UBI is a big Jar Jar fan. All CGI with zero gameplay and some weird sounding online crap is giving me real confidence in the new BGE.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Do we have a PC CCG thread? With all these Hearthstone alternatives gaining traction (Elder Scrolls, Duelyst, Infinity Wars, etc) I want to start playing one but obvs it'd be more fun with goons (and I don't know, like, which one is "better").

Orv
May 4, 2011

Quad posted:

Do we have a PC CCG thread? With all these Hearthstone alternatives gaining traction (Elder Scrolls, Duelyst, Infinity Wars, etc) I want to start playing one but obvs it'd be more fun with goons (and I don't know, like, which one is "better").

All the ones that have stayed popular have their own threads.

Shadowverse
Duelyst
Gwent
HEX
TES:Legends is garbage.

Duelyst and HEX have fallen off but still have a few goons playing them as far as I know.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

strategery posted:

Actually put about 13 hours into Hard West so far and , while I see some issues, I do like it. The biggest 'flaw' is no saving mid mission. So if you die, its up to you to do it all over again. Other than that, it is nitpicky.
Hey, 45 hours here and "regrettable design decisions" (looking at you, Ironman) is pretty on the money.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Too Shy Guy posted:

...And Heavy Metal FAKK2.

gently caress yeah, that's the name of the game. I owned it so you'd think I'd've remembered.
RIP Julie Strain.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I made a New Wolfenstein thread because I'm so goddamn hyped to kill some Nazis.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm both pleased and appalled

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Drifter posted:

RIP Julie Strain.
Christ, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Voidspire Tactics is a really very good game, an essay.

Voidspire Tactics is a $15 tactical party-based indie RPG that's undeniably too short. It's an incredibly clever tribute to RPGs of yesteryear, which is a claim we've all heard a million times since the Dawn of Indie Games, but it does something very unique. It's a fitting and accurate love letter to both oldschool Western style games (i.e. Ultima) and traditional JRPGs (Particularly those with a tactical element, like Shining Force) without anything getting muddied in between.

You create a party of four by choosing races, appearances, and names. Each is assigned a basic class (a warrior, a scout, and two mages), then you run through a short two-minute tutorial explaining the basic controls. Immediately after that, the game stops holding your hand and you're thrown into a hand-crafted world where your wits, sense of exploration, and problem-solving skills are just as much of an asset to your survival as your characters' stats, equipment and abilities.

The world is full of little interactions, nearly everything can be moved or carried, there are items strategically placed (and hidden) everywhere that can be used with each other in intuitive but unexpected ways. If you spend your time with an axe equipped and walk around out of combat smashing all of the furniture you see and looting the broken wooden planks left behind, you might find yourself building a bridge with them later to access a hidden area. You'll find seeds that can be planted, and grown with a Sage's Growth spell to form vine ladders that can be climbed to get to places that look otherwise unreachable. There's a barrier in your way? Have your Scout light it on fire and burn it down. Can't find your way across a chasm in the mines? Go find a pickaxe and dig around it. Maybe the solution is to go up a floor and dig the ground up with shovels, allowing you to fall back down to a different spot. If there's water you can't cross and your mage has an ice spell available, have them freeze the water and walk across! Use your in-combat movement skills to cross gaps while exploring and access hidden treasure, shoot machinery with your lightning spells to power it up. Lots of games promise (and occasionally succeed at delivering) this same kind of world interaction, but Voidspire does it in a way that was extremely refreshing; none of it is necessary. You're never shoehorned in to burning down a piece of furniture to get into a room that's blocked otherwise, you could maybe push the furniture instead, or lockpick a door on the opposite wall. The game never points you in the direction of cleverly using your tools or the environment to get around, it never spoils you on how to do it - you explore and figure those things out on your own, or you don't and progress in more traditional ways.

Combat is rather good and the difficulty sliders are great. There are two separate sliders, one for enemy stat boots/detriments, and another to make the AI spend more/less time calculating its most effective moves. What starts as three simple classes pretty quickly morphs in to 18 separate classes, that you can swap on the fly out of combat (or even in-combat with the right passives) at any time, and which you unlock by earning experience as other classes. Each class has eight active abilities and several of them can effectively be used both in-combat and for out-of-combat puzzle solving. They're clever, well-designed, and fun to use and the difficulty curve of the game is at just the right point, allowing you to be experimental with what you attempt but still successful as long as you've put some thought in to how it would be used. You're not going to find many direct attacks or simple dps buttons (though there are a few), skills often deal with movement, blocking terrain, debuffing or buffing or other 'utility' applications, and with some classes like Shiftcloak (focused around using a cloak to move around and disorient enemies) you'll need to put some clever thinking in to how to use them to be effective. Equipment isn't restricted to classes and you can build your party mostly however you want. I have a snakeman wizard/warrior archetype hybrid with a spear in one hand and a lightning orb in the other, and a catman sage healer that's physically weak but carries a giant two-handed sword that can dish out aoe damage.

The presentation is a lot better than it looks on the Steam page too. The world is a giant mishmash of regions 'stolen' from their homes and mashed together into a floating continent. That's about it as far as story goes, it takes a Souls-like approach to letting you explore and assume about the world on your own. Sometimes you might find a clever way to ascend a mountain you didn't think you could get to the top just to find some rotting bones of a deceased adventurer who passed away while enjoying the nice view from up there. No one's standing around to explain anything to you, areas like the Great Wyrm Tangle are weird, alien and bizarre and no one's trying to tell you anything about them. The game lets you make mistakes and potentially break sequence, too - the first time you meet the main antagonist he orders you to get out of his way. You can abide, or you can refuse and enter combat with him at that point which you could feasibly win if you grinded up your party enough (not sure what would happen if you did). A lot of the NPCs speak an alien language and you can't communicate with them (at least, not on a first playthrough?). Each zone is unique and different and filled with secrets. Digging up a suspicious patch of sand in a desert might lead you to finding a wheel that can be attached to the bombed-out shell of a motorcycle from the machine ruins and driven around.

I was very pleasantly surprised throughout the entire game and only walked away with two complaints. The controls/interface are heavily mouse-driven and not ideal, and it's too short to spend your time unlocking every class or maxing everything out - it encourages repeat playthroughs for that (though, thankfully, with some new races unlocked). I recommend checking it out!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 13, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Thats all basically correct, yeah. It's a fantastic game that I like a lot!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

Christ, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

Are you talking about me, or a description of her work?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

speaking of voidspire tactics, i bought ALVORA TACTICS.

wish me luck i guess

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you skip the cutscenes in wolfenstein

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Digirat posted:

Can you skip the cutscenes in wolfenstein
At least half of the game is an in-game cutscene so no, not really.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why do i keep doing this

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Orv posted:

Not before a new Sim Golf or somebody's gonna loving die.

Get in line behind sim ant

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

verdict: alvora tactics disappointing and lame

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm liking what I've seen of Sea of Thieves. Blackwake (sp?, the one in Early Access) still has the best British VA.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

nachos posted:

Get in line behind sim ant
Save time and put both in the same game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I'm both pleased and appalled

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

corn in the bible posted:

verdict: alvora tactics disappointing and lame

Can you elaborate on why?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate on why?

His reasons will just be disappointing and lame.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Can't let your Nazi rep become endangered because of Wolfenstein, doncha know.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bummed out at the pirate game when I saw boarding actions weren't played out, that's cutting out the climax!

With the crashing For Honor is doing you could at least salvage some of that hard work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was bummed when I saw it was multiplyer only(?)

I just want a new, awesome Sid Meier's Pirates style game. :sigh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I'm sure this dude is peak aryan lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Alvora Tactics is procedurally generated, and thus has almost no exploration or puzzle solving. I guess if you just wanna fight stuff it's OK? Since it's a ROGUELIKE DUNGEON you have to keep going in from the top or pay money for shortcuts to lower areas.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GreenNight posted:

His reasons will just be disappointing and lame.

You are being rude.

corn in the bible posted:

Alvora Tactics is procedurally generated, and thus has almost no exploration or puzzle solving. I guess if you just wanna fight stuff it's OK? Since it's a ROGUELIKE DUNGEON you have to keep going in from the top or pay money for shortcuts to lower areas.

Ahhh, gotcha. So get it if I really, really love the combat in Voidspire, but skip otherwise. Thanks!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Will Sea of Thieves have any singleplayer at all?

Getting real tired of all these mp only pirate games.

edit:
Aw poo poo kid, PC's finally getting a Monster Hunter game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXB2IHLm4m0

Deakul fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 13, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Doesn't sound like it.

Seems chasing the Destiny pseudo-MMO style was the popular thing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was bummed when I saw it was multiplyer only(?)

I just want a new, awesome Sid Meier's Pirates style game. :sigh:
they tried to insinuate there's singleplayer, but going by everything i'm looking at odds are they mean "you can play the not-mmo yourself" http://store.steampowered.com/app/370010/

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

when are we going to get a new Sim Tower?

you already did; it's called Project Highrise

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they tried to insinuate there's singleplayer, but going by everything i'm looking at odds are they mean "you can play the not-mmo yourself" http://store.steampowered.com/app/370010/

I believe they explained it last year as ships existing that can be crewed by one person. Basically you're in the MMO still, but you have a tiny boat to yourself that can't fight against the bigger multicrew ships.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deakul posted:

Is Rebel Galaxy and Tempest the only options? Granted, I haven't played Tempest but assume it's decent enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BirdOfPlay posted:

Is Rebel Galaxy and Tempest the only options? Granted, I haven't played Tempest but assume it's decent enough.

There's also Corsair, the Warhammer one.

And Starpoint Gemini Warlords has pretty okay space piracy as well.

• Locked thread