Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suspect the reason for a lot of 'DEMS WHY AREN'T YOU SAVING US' stuff is that, well, there's two main political actors in the country right now and one of them has rabies. So people only really think they can change democratic behavior because the other party is doing backflips and biting itself while shrieking at the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Still genuinely don't understand why the depressed nothing matters people even follow politics anymore instead of doomsday prepping or some poo poo.

I genuinely don't understand why people still keep going "Lol there's no way they let that leopard eat that guy's face" right before the leopard eats another face.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spiritus Nox posted:

We didn't have fascists in the white house and DOJ in 2012.

Voter suppression is really a state-by-state issue, isn't it? Obviously having federal not care isn't good, but the individual states aren't really significantly worse than they've been since 2010.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

cult member at airport posted:

Everyone needs to read this.

I believe Putin's goal was to push the narrative that Crooked Hillary was going to steal the election, then leak these hacks to spread suspicion about the election results after she won. Any investigations into Trump's collusion with Russia would have been brushed off as her trying to silence him for speaking out about the rigged election.

So that means Bernie would have won!

lol if it took Russian meddling in an election to destroy Hillary Clinton, Bernie wasn't going to come out on top of this poo poo either.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Man, John Oliver delivered a joke this week about Theresa May

Calling back in the episode to an earlier segment about her admitting the naughtiest thing she ever did, which was apparently running through a wheat field with her friends even though the farmers didn't like it, he referred to her as "Thatcher in the Rye"

And I didn't stop laughing for like 20 minutes.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

LaserShark posted:

I'm starting to think those people who say this sort of thing is unconstitutional have a point. Blocking someone from sending the President tweets is one thing, but blocking them from reading official White House statements sounds pretty loving dictatorial.

I'm going to cry myself to sleep if what brings Trump down is him blocking people on loving Twitter.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Star Man posted:

So that means Bernie would have won!

lol if it took Russian meddling in an election to destroy Hillary Clinton, Bernie wasn't going to come out on top of this poo poo either.

Unless Bernie was a Soviet plot all along. They recruited him during his honeymoon and he is a sleeper agent sent to crush capitalism and herald a rebirth of the USSR!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So would this be obstruction of justice?

I don't think so, unless there was an active invrstigation at the time that he was heading. I don't recall if there was.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Megyn Kelly No Longer Hosting Sandy Hook Benefit Due to Alex Jones Interview

https://www.yahoo.com/news/megyn-kelly-no-longer-hosting-035625971.html?.tsrc=fauxdal

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I am curious as to what the tipping point will be where this administration's massive dillholery will begin to have a direct and immediate effect on Trump's base. Even if the healthcare gets pushed through, it's going to take time to phase in. I know blind indoctrination goes a long way, but with so many toxic policies being rushed through at such a breakneck pace, surely there has to be something that will come down the line that will make even his die-hard's realize "oh, this is bad for [i]me/i]."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does anyone know if the Free Doritos Locos Tacos you get from Taco Bell today can have the beef be substituted for chicken and still be free?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spiritus Nox posted:

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF TRUMP INCRIMINATES HIMSELF

HE HAS ALREADY INCRIMINATED HIMSELF REPEATEDLY, ON A LOT OF ISSUES

THE GOP DOES NOT AND WILL NEVER CARE

i'm seriously curious what you get out of writing posts

what benefit do you derive from it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fart City posted:

I am curious as to what the tipping point will be where this administration's massive dillholery will begin to have a direct and immediate effect on Trump's base. Even if the healthcare gets pushed through, it's going to take time to phase in. I know blind indoctrination goes a long way, but with so many toxic policies being rushed through at such a breakneck pace, surely there has to be something that will come down the line that will make even his die-hard's realize "oh, this is bad for [i]me/i]."

There is no tipping point for the true believers, they'll have their health care taken away and probably worse and they'll die believing that Trump was the right choice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember when there would never, ever be a special counsel, too?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

i'm seriously curious what you get out of writing posts

what benefit do you derive from it

Venting the horror of watching my country gleefully embrace fascism and line up mass murder against its own most vulnerable

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fart City posted:

How big is trump's "base" how do we measure it? Is it just that one guy that prays to the cardboard cutout or is it a thing polls could detect?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The only things that matter are results. We have none as yet. When the people actively dismantling our government and way of life are forced out of power that will be a result. When Democrats start taking seats away from Republicans that will be a result.

Anything less than that can be encouraging, interesting, even exciting. But it doesn't matter until it produces results and as yet we still haven't had any.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Man, John Oliver delivered a joke this week about Theresa May

Calling back in the episode to an earlier segment about her admitting the naughtiest thing she ever did, which was apparently running through a wheat field with her friends even though the farmers didn't like it, he referred to her as "Thatcher in the Rye"

And I didn't stop laughing for like 20 minutes.

:same:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Yes. They spent a lot of time shooting down this idea already. I think McConnell is completely fine with this bill going down in defeat and would rather that happen than the filibuster be effectively abolished.

I disagree. He knows they have to pass something to take home to their base after 7 years of promising to get rid of the ACA. They also need the repeal to pass their tax cuts which they also need for their base. The way a wave turns into a tsunami is if their base stays home in 18.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

LaserShark posted:

I'm starting to think those people who say this sort of thing is unconstitutional have a point. Blocking someone from sending the President tweets is one thing, but blocking them from reading official White House statements sounds pretty loving dictatorial.

Can't you just log out of your account to read his tweets?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Stop putting faith in McConnell you blockheads

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Remember when there would never, ever be a special counsel, too?

It'll end up being a crime to even mention Trump's name after his public execution and people will be convinced that's just part of the coverup.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I genuinely don't understand why people still keep going "Lol there's no way they let that leopard eat that guy's face" right before the leopard eats another face.

Republican control of the House hasn't been in serious jeopardy until now. At least a few Republican legislators will desert him before long, not because they're principled, but because they're cowards.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Uhhhh:

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/874650189885263872

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Fart City posted:

Nope. The CBO is predicting for 2018 that it will increase costs by 20% on top of Obamacare cost increases for 2018. The AHCA is all backloaded.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Majorian posted:

Republican control of the House hasn't been in serious jeopardy until now. At least a few Republican legislators will desert him before long, not because they're principled, but because they're cowards.

Just like they were going to desert him during the election

They're going to cling to power and try to destroy anyone who tries to stop them.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
If anything I think McConnell knows that the tide will turn against the R's and will push every drat thing through he can, while he can.

Sorry my fellow Kentuckians suck.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

What the gently caress. Can they do this? How is it not a violation of the First Amendment?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

I don't think so, unless there was an active invrstigation at the time that he was heading. I don't recall if there was.

quote:

Kasowitz told Trump, “This guy is going to get you,” according to a person familiar with Kasowitz’s account.

that sure sounds like obstruction of justice to me

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I guess they're sick of those "We told Sen. X what Trump just tweeted and you won't believe his reaction!!" stories.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Donald J Trump,

Tomorrow is June 14th, 2017. On this day, I will turn 35 years old.

I have one request for my birthday. Please loving fire Jeff Session when he refuses to end his recusal and terminate Robert Mueller. Then fire Rod Rosenstein and then fire Dana Buente when neither of them agree to fire Robert Mueller. Once you've laid the hat trick and found Robert Bork Jr to agree to fire him, I want you to go on TV and assure the nation that Russia is our friend, and that you did not collude, but even if you did it wouldn't be a big deal, because it's good to cooperate with your partners.

Do all of that on my loving birthday, please Donald Jayronymous Trumpletonsville III. Do it please. Do it.

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

My boner would never go away.

If you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, get medical help right away.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

What the gently caress. Can they do this? How is it not a violation of the First Amendment?

It's a restriction on what people can do in the Senate building, not, like, in general. It definitely complies with the 1st Amendment, it's another story if it's appropriate.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Beats body slamming them when they get too close I guess.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

Beats body slamming them when they get too close I guess.

I'd be totally down with Senators bodyslamming journalists, as long as journos were allowed to return the favour.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just like they were going to desert him during the election

Plenty did desert him during the election, or distanced themselves quietly, and then came whimpering back once Trump won. Now it's their asses on the line.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Stop putting faith in McConnell you blockheads

You can have faith in what an evil, amoral, pile of dogshit he is.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alter Ego posted:

Apparently there are so many reporters chasing the senators around that they are legitimately creating difficulties and safety issues for people just walking from place to place.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

You guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys, stop holding us accountable for our lovely actions!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Not the reporters' fault that Trump tweets so fast that they need senators' reactions more quickly than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
This is why we need younger politicians, who can outrun the press in a literal sense

• Locked thread