Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't get it. Metroid for years has had fans screaming "WE WANT THIS SERIES REVIVED!!! PLEASE, NEW METROID NINTENDO!"

Nintendo finally announces 2 and the first reaction to one of them from the same fans is "lol why should I pay for it when I can play fan games :D".

I wasn't a fan of DMCA'ing projects but kinda making it valid now.

This point came up in the thread before, but honestly it's usually just cause they aren't the same voices you are hearing. You could see 10 posts on SA saying a game sucked, but wander off on twitter and see everyone loving that same game.

If it specifically was these guys who were complaining? Then yeah that's dumb, but I don't think that's the majority. I, for one, was asking for a metroid game as well and am quite pleased with the Nintendo announcements.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Eew. I just watched the Xenoblade 2 trailer and it made me wonder if I misremembered how much I liked the first one.

Do we know if it brings anything significant and new to the table? Or is it just different content with similar sensibilities, which were very refreshing way back when?

They tried a different direction for XCX, and a lot of fans didn't like it. They are now trying to stick to most of the same formula from XC for XC2, except for the art style which is obnoxiously anime. Unknown story and art aside, it will still probably be good like the first game was which still is a solid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ventana posted:

They tried a different direction for XCX, and a lot of fans didn't like it.
The artbook and developer interviews on XCX point to the game being a lot closer to XB1 when development first began but things got cut pretty hard to get the game out the door and filling Wii U release gaps

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

Mario's new Final Smash for Smash 5 will be possessing an opponent to fight as them, but it will only be used to walk off a ledge.

vvv The map screen is a travel brochure? That's genius!

finally, an excuse to get rid of the FLUDD move. We can replace it with Cappy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Odyessy's format kinda reminds me of Tony Hawk in a weird way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I prefer the art to be full anime rather than what they had going on before with "normal human body, anime head".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Wanna drop a lil dollop of real talk on y'all for a second

Mario Odyssey looks good as HECK

:agreed:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Seriously though as much as I love Galaxy 1 and 2, Mario Odyssey is a very specific kind of thing I've been wanting since I finished Sunshine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was kind of blasé about Odyssey after the reveal and seeing the "real world city" setting, but now that they showed more gameplay and levels I'm 100% on board.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

TFRazorsaw posted:

I hear there are people who don't like the new song from Mario Odyssey

Can you even imagine

What it must be like to live such a life

I've had this on for 2 hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELbrDrnTsrM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Did people actually think that New Donk City was the only setting in Odyssey? The first reveal trailer showed off more than that

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
https://twitter.com/guyneiljames/status/874734365158330368

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Martytoof posted:

I was kind of blasé about Odyssey after the reveal and seeing the "real world city" setting, but now that they showed more gameplay and levels I'm 100% on board.

Apparently New Donk City is where Pauline lives meaning it could be where the original Donkey Kong took place.
The desert level could maybe be Sarasaland?
I'm hoping there are references and visits to a ton of Mario worlds past, like Subcon, Yoshi's Island, Star Road, Giant Land, or even the world that gave Mario his medical license!

With Cappy's ability to possess enemies and get new powers, they could even let you relive old power ups in a limited way in these worlds. I'm excited by the thought of it.

E: Rewatching the trailer there was a rocket straight out of Mario 2, so I might get my wish.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Suspicious Cook posted:

Apparently New Donk City is where Pauline lives meaning it could be where the original Donkey Kong took place.
The desert level could maybe be Sarasaland?

The story seems to be Peach and Mario are getting hitched so Mario is going to say what up to all his exes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What if Pauline is secretly working with Bowser, and orchestrated Peach's latest kidnapping so that she could get Mario back?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Pauline being mayor proves what we all knew all along: Mario is attracted to power

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

I forgot this existed till you just said it. Yea, I wonder what happened to that.

It was announced 5 months ago check back in 3 years

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

If anyone is looking for the nice Mario Amiibo or squishy Metroid

https://twitter.com/AmiiboNews/status/875001501814374403

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My son wanted a Link amiibo - literally ANY Link amiibo - and so we went to five different stores last night and didn't see a single Zelda-related one anywhere. Not a Zelda, not a Link, not a Guardian, not a loving Bokoblin. But boy if you want an Animal Crossing amiibo it's a loving festival out there. But I've just signed up for nowinstock alerts because I'll be damned if I'll pay more than MSRP for a loving toy. Glad I pre-ordered the Bayonetta one for the wifey.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Who is the Man from Another Place then?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So what's on the stream today?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm stoked for Odyssey but I have to say that New Donk City looks ugly as hell.

The rest of the worlds look vibrant and fun. I'm not saying that the area won't have some fun stuff to do, just visually it looks ugly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jarogue posted:

If anyone is looking for the nice Mario Amiibo or squishy Metroid

https://twitter.com/AmiiboNews/status/875001501814374403

Thanks for this. Only things left to get ordered is the two new Fire Emblem ones

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Strange Matter posted:

There's a Pokken tournament in the morning and an ARMS tournament in the afternoon. Possibly some more game demos but I don't think they have shown a schedule for that

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Strange Matter posted:

They're starting with Pokken, then there's a Pokken tournament, then showing Yoshi, then probably some other stuff, then there's an ARMS tournament

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So all the Monster Hunter World chat is saying that MHXX is not coming to NA. Is this a true and very bad thing? While World looked real good, I treasure portability in my MH formula...

Am I a sad sad goon? Break it to me quick. I can take it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nickoten posted:

Seriously though as much as I love Galaxy 1 and 2, Mario Odyssey is a very specific kind of thing I've been wanting since I finished Sunshine.

This. This so much. I've been wanting a sandbox mario for so drat long. The Galaxy games were incredible, but god drat 64 and sunshine were sooooo good. I couldn't really get into any of the other "new" classic style mario games that were released based on nostalgia, so I am glad they finally are coming out with Odyssey.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jivjov posted:

Thanks for this. Only things left to get ordered is the two new Fire Emblem ones

Does jivjov purchase new Amiibo?

Or do the Amiibo control more and more of jivjov each time he collects on of their brothers and sisters?

He has no mouth, and he must scream.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Bombadilillo posted:

So all the Monster Hunter World chat is saying that MHXX is not coming to NA. Is this a true and very bad thing? While World looked real good, I treasure portability in my MH formula...

I'm going to wait until a higher up says something about XX before I come to any conclusion. The guy I quoted was a community manager but I don't know about the other tweeter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there somewhere that summarizes all the announcements from yesterday? I know there were some made after the stream as well so I'm trying to get caught up. I was hoping it would be on the first page but alas.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

We don't know for sure but there's no confirmation of any good news. Didn't think my joy at a new Metroid would be tempered by anything but I was waiting for the MHXX announcement all yesterday and.. It never came...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there somewhere that summarizes all the announcements from yesterday? I know there were some made after the stream as well so I'm trying to get caught up. I was hoping it would be on the first page but alas.

The videos like 24 minutes long, its not a 90 minute press monster

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder how many moons there are

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A week after release I tried to find a Zelda amiibo. Out of 8 stores I found a Bokoblin.

Nintendo seriously dropped the ball on that. They made 8 trillion Animal Crossing amiibos and a billion anime game amiibos, all sitting on shelves forever, but you can't find any version of Link, any BotW, or, of all things, Mario World characters.

How do you not anticipate that Waluigi, Mario, Link, Zelda, etc. are going to be big sellers?

In closing, give me loving BotW Zelda and Windwaker Link and squishy Metroid.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bombadilillo posted:

yeah but there were two more announcements randomly in the post keynote stream

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

IcePhoenix posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still dated for "2017"
Traditional Kirby game for Switch "2018"
Yoshi game (supposedly like LBP?) for Switch "2018"
Metroid Prime 4 announcement "In Development" (nothing shown other than logo)
MarioxRabbids Kingdom Battle August 29th
Super Mario Odyssey October 27th
e: Game Freak announced that there was a "core RPG" Pokemon title in development for Switch also. No date or any other information about it.

I think that was everything which was in the 25 minute Spotlight. I may be forgetting something though. Everything had gameplay footage except Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch. It was literally just a 30 second reveal of the logo.

In the Treehouse they also announced a 2.5D remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus, titled Metroid: Samus Returns. There will be a new Samus amiibo released, along with a :3: squishy :3: Metroid amiibo. Also a special edition of the game with a soundtrack collection.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

A week after release I tried to find a Zelda amiibo. Out of 8 stores I found a Bokoblin.

Nintendo seriously dropped the ball on that. They made 8 trillion Animal Crossing amiibos and a billion anime game amiibos, all sitting on shelves forever, but you can't find any version of Link, any BotW, or, of all things, Mario World characters.

I saw a bunch of BotW amiibo right after launch - Zelda, both Links, even Guardians - to the point where I thought "Oh, they've finally hit the sweet spot for supply/demand." Now they're nowhere to be seen.

So I just preordered $60 worth of plastic toys from Best Buy :negative:

(As for Mario characters, they were overabundant on shelves, until they got marked down to clearance prices.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bombadilillo posted:

And then Nintendo started announcing even more poo poo in their treehouse thing. I watched the keynote on my lunch yesterday but didn't stick around for the treehouse.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How do you not anticipate that Waluigi, Mario, Link, Zelda, etc. are going to be big sellers?

In closing, give me loving BotW Zelda and Windwaker Link and squishy Metroid.

That sucks I popped in to a random Walmart on a whim like a month ago and they had all the BotW amiibo except the Guardian.

Now I have Archer Link and Bokoblin.

The bokoblin is so hideous it's cute, like Gremlins.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

and then nintendo started announcing even more poo poo in their treehouse thing

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah but there were two more announcements randomly in the post keynote stream

Really? Anything good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Is it unlikely that we'll get anything meaty out of the next few Treehouses? Do they ever pull surprise shenanigans like that?

• Locked thread