Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I liked him a lot. So I was some what bummed when he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah Coulson was good. He had pretty fun scenes with like 3/4 of the team, especially with Tony.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's an incredibly low bar so this is entirely believable.

I like most of the Marvel stuff, so it's not that low a bar for me. Agents of SHIELD is good stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I cannot believe Man of Steel came out 4 years ago.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bananaquiter posted:

The movie was good/bad despite the Whedon/Snyder parts.

Circle whatever you feel like and repeat for 200 pages.

It'll be an interesting experiment. So far the only DC movie from this generation I've whole heartedly liked was WW (well, other than Lego Batman), so having another hand in DC's main line of movies would be a way for me to get excited and see the movie while its in the theater.

e: I forget what exactly happened to his character, but Anchorman 2 also had a stepdad psychartrist.

It's like noticing the giant spider robots all over again.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 15, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

e: I forget what exactly happened to his character, but Anchorman 2 also had a stepdad psychartrist.

He used his psychic powers to help Ron get to his son's recital. I'm not sure after that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

If it never comes up again, they're arguably retconning that it was something that's important to her character, though that may be splitting hairs.

I think I'd be happy if they just never bring it up again. Turns up with a baby in a movie? It's adopted, move on.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

He used his psychic powers to help Ron get to his son's recital. I'm not sure after that.

A really underappreciated movie. Not as good as the original, but what is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I think I'd be happy if they just never bring it up again. Turns up with a baby in a movie? It's adopted, move on.

I'd be perfectly happy if we never see the character again, but that's a completely different question.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Agree, on both counts. It's like 3 mini movies sort of connected. And they're mostly pretty drat good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was basically saying, "Why did they let me make it if they are just going to ignore it?"
Which is funny because AOU seemed to ignore most if not all the character development from Winter Soldier.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

achillesforever6 posted:

Which is funny because AOU seemed to ignore most if not all the character development from Winter Soldier.

And Iron Man 3.

Christ, Ultron was a mess.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not like that's just an Age of Ultron problem, though. Avengers didn't exactly respect who Captain America was in First Avenger.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not like that's just an Age of Ultron problem, though. Avengers didn't exactly respect who Captain America was in First Avenger.

I think there may be a common link between those two movies though...

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I think there may be a common link between those two movies though...

Sure. My comment is directed to the idea that AoU is some sort of departure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd be perfectly happy if we never see the character again, but that's a completely different question.

Winter Soldier proved she can be a good character. It's the Avengers where she feels out of place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Coulson isn't cool at all, that's what's so cool about him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I briefly skimmed the last couple pages. I can't believe Whedon is making Aquaman into Batman's junkie psychiatrist stepdad.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"Son of Coul" is one of my favourite jokes in the Marvel universe, so I like Coulson for giving us that at least.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gorn Myson posted:

"Son of Coul" is one of my favourite jokes in the Marvel universe, so I like Coulson for giving us that at least.

What joke was this? Was it to do with thor?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of hope Joss Whedon doesn't treat Superman like he did Captain America.

The two are such fundamentally different characters I don't see why he would but that fear does plague me

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gorn Myson posted:

meh Coulson was basically an empty vessel until avengers and even then he just served the purpose of being the device by witch the audience is manipulated into caring about what the avengers do (not that its a bad thing). To me personally tough he was just this nerd stand-in that basically communicates, via his characterization and subsequent death; that nerds are important to the people who have power. Witch seems ridiculous to me since it requires fury to manipulate the avengers by presenting them with the thing he consumed to motivate them into action; not say the fact that hes either bonded with them or the fact that he was a person seemed to truly move them to action. "see he was a fan because he bought your stuff, so you owe it to him to fight back against this alien menace"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Man, I missed basically every star wars reference in man of steel until I watched it back to back with a new hope. There's targeting computers everywhere, krypton explodes in the same shock wave as the SE alderaan, the world engine does the tie fighter scream...

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Timby posted:

And Iron Man 3.

Christ, Ultron was a mess.

Ultron was the only MCU movie I've seen that'd I'd call flat out bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

"Why did they let me make it if they are just going to ignore it?"

This is the MCU's mission statement. Surely he's figured this out.

Shageletic posted:

It's just way, way too loving long. Every joke is dragged out just a bit too long, leaving you with the memory of how good it was when the joke started.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I still can't believe how good the Krypton sequence. It's so full of crazy design. A personal gripe of mine is when science fiction civilisations only have one ship design that they always use, without variation. The Kryptonians have at least 4 quite distinctive ships. They have their own language (apparently designed by a linguist). The pilot you briefly glimpse as Kal-El takes off is like a baroque HR Geiger character. All for a civilisation we see for 20 minutes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's so good. I didn't watch it until recently because I'm not a Superman fan but it's so much more than that. I really have to get my girlfriend to watch it because she skipped it for the same reason I initially did.

At this point, how do people in this thread rank the DCEU movies from favorite to least favorite?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

meh Coulson was basically an empty vessel until avengers and even then he just served the purpose of being the device by witch the audience is manipulated into caring about what the avengers do (not that its a bad thing). To me personally tough he was just this nerd stand-in that basically communicates, via his characterization and subsequent death; that nerds are important to the people who have power. Witch seems ridiculous to me since it requires fury to manipulate the avengers by presenting them with the thing he consumed to motivate them into action; not say the fact that hes either bonded with them or the fact that he was a person seemed to truly move them to action. "see he was a fan because he bought your stuff, so you owe it to him to fight back against this alien menace"
Don't get me wrong, I don't care about him in the slightest but I appreciated his existence just for that one single joke.

I don't care for any of the characters in the MCU if I'm honest.

Except for Michael Pena. Michael Pena is the best character in the entire franchise.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

At this point, how do people in this thread rank the DCEU movies from favorite to least favorite?

Man of Steel
Batman v Superman
Wonder Woman
Suicide Squad

The relative ranking of Snyder's two movies is the only remotely tough call.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Kodiak posted:

The relative ranking of Snyder's two movies is the only remotely tough call.

Even if you are a crazy person that thinks BvS is a flawless movie, MoS is so much better.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Even if you are a crazy person that thinks BvS is a flawless movie, MoS is so much better.

It wasn't that tough a call, but I at least thought about it for a second.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, I would bet a ton of money that half the thread has this exact list and the other half has WW as first followed by the rest of the order as is, depending on if they love or hate the Snyder movies

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wonder Woman
Man of Steel
Suicide Squad
Batman v Superman

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, I would bet a ton of money that half the thread has this exact list and the other half has WW as first followed by the rest of the order as is, depending on if they love or hate the Snyder movies

Guess again :unsmigghh:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really liked Wonder Woman and I played it higher on my list than Batman v Superman if only because I think the Ultimate Cut should have been the one to show but it's still a 3 hour movie and it didn't need to be if they gave Superman solo sequel film before introducing Batman. That said, I appreciate all the things going on thematically in Batman V Superman and how it all ties in to the characters' relationships with each other and their parents. It was one aspect I wish there was more of in Wonder Woman. She had basically two moms and outside the first act, you never see them again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For me is

Batman v Superman
Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
Suicide Squad

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

NikkolasKing posted:

Wonder Woman
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition
Batman v Superman Theatrical Cut
Suicide Squad

Wonder Woman and Man of Steel are both really great movies in my eyes. Wonder Woman being my top pick mostly because I'm more heavily invested in her comics and the character herself. Plus Gal Gadot :allears: The Ultimate Edition of BvS is a good film; I've come to appreciate it as a "slow burn" in a way, and it's lofty with its ambition. I can appreciate that, but I still really dislike the execution of the Martha scene though. BvS's theatrical cut is just so poorly put together and left a bad taste in my mouth after leaving the theater. I don't see it as a legit bad movie, but it's not good either. Just mediocre I guess. Suicide Squad is a straight up dumpster fire. Only redeeming aspects of it for me were Will Smith and Margot Robbie turning in solid performances.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Drifter posted:

What joke was this? Was it to do with thor?

Uh I feel like this is bait but cmon,man.

Coulson. Coulson.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snowman_McK posted:

I still can't believe how good the Krypton sequence. It's so full of crazy design.

Dicks everywhere! Love how Snyder and co decided to go all in with the phallic imagery on Krypton. Though imo, nothing in that film visually tops Clark walking out of a space vagina, born as The Superman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For me: Man of Steel
BvS
Haven't seen the other two. Hopefully I get to see Wonder Woman before it's out of theaters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Al Borland Corp. posted:

For me: Man of Steel
BvS
Haven't seen the other two. Hopefully I get to see Wonder Woman before it's out of theaters

You can safely skip Suicide Squad unless you can watch it for free and place absolutely no value on two hours of your time.

• Locked thread