Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So how bad is this Russia/Iran sanctions thing? Probably pretty bad, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ornedan posted:

Bernie's campaign apparently didn't spot it either. Balls dropped all around.

Even if they had seen it there was no way they were going to use it. Despite while the Hillary and her super fans think Bernie wasn't trying to destroy her and the party by running in a primary election that the party had already decided the winner for.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Radish posted:

Even if they had seen it there was no way they were going to use it. Despite while the Hillary and her super fans think Bernie wasn't trying to destroy her and the party by running in a primary election that the party had already decided the winner for.

Yup. Not talking about the emails was as much about protecting her candidacy as it was about keeping his own positive and on message. Stooping to weird rear end smear campaigns on any microscopic dirt discovered (or just making up lies from whole cloth like the Bruce Rappaport story) is a Clinton thing, it's not universal in a primary campaign.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yup. Not talking about the emails was as much about protecting her candidacy as it was about keeping his own positive and on message. Stooping to weird rear end smear campaigns on any microscopic dirt discovered (or just making up lies from whole cloth like the Bruce Rappaport story) is a Clinton thing, it's not universal in a primary campaign.

Aka the "they go low, we go high" strategy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Trabisnikof posted:

Imagine being so bad at campaigning that your entire campaign forgot to read your opponent's book where they admitted to owning slaves.

Or perhaps they just didn't want to run a particularly damaging campaign against Clinton, because they didn't expect to win the primary?:thunk:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
While, of course, Bernie Would Have Won, it is also important at all times to recognize that he launched his campaign expecting to be home by November at the latest, having made his grumpy last-minute bid to remind America the Left still existed en route to Hillary's coronation.

It's one of the larger signs of democratic party dysfunction, really; nobody, up to and including her primary opponents, could come to grips with the party's anointed one being an incredibly weak candidate.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Trabisnikof posted:

Aka the "they go low, we go high" strategy.

I feel like this can work if you have a positive message to "go high" on.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ze Pollack posted:

While, of course, Bernie Would Have Won, it is also important at all times to recognize that he launched his campaign expecting to be home by November at the latest, having made his grumpy last-minute bid to remind America the Left still existed en route to Hillary's coronation.

It's one of the larger signs of democratic party dysfunction, really; nobody, up to and including her primary opponents, could come to grips with the party's anointed one being an incredibly weak candidate.

Bernie doing as well as he did should have really been the point where people inside the Clinton campaign started panicking and changing course.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm glad effectronica is gone forever.

I hope bernie wins next time, or at least grooms a really good protege in his stead.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Futuresight posted:

I feel like this can work if you have a positive message to "go high" on.

Corbyn's Labour with their excellent party manifesto being a good example. The endless negative campaign against them started losing effect sharpish from when the manifesto was leaked.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Realtalk, why do these two dickheads get to own this thread? I'm guessing because the mods aren't exactly friendly with the Bernie crowd?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

stone cold posted:

hey here's a thought: maybe we can be leftist and espouse leftist and progressive policy ideals like ubi or gmi, indexing minimum wages to inflation or median wages, justice and penal system reform, single payer, etc. AND not be racist

I find it an act of deliberate, malicious ignorance that people would ever consider such economic policy racist, when the fact of the matter is that minorities stand to have their lives improved the most, as they are disproportionately higher in extreme poverty, no medical care, rundown housing, reduced transportation, going without lunches/eating poo poo food... and every other metric where an increase in income can improve the standard of living and health.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

call to action posted:

Realtalk, why do these two dickheads get to own this thread? I'm guessing because the mods aren't exactly friendly with the Bernie crowd?

rigged moderators

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

call to action posted:

mostly because as is abundantly demonstrated by what happens in their absence, there's not much to discuss on the subject.

the upper echelons of the democratic party would prefer extinction to admitting it's not 1996 anymore. having established that, the question becomes precisely why this is the case.

at some point during this discussion the few people who genuinely believe "social justice is just a plot to keep the white man down" try, bless them, to explain their theory in a way that won't get team Hillary Did Nothing Wrong to jump on them shouting "WE TOLD YOU." then the cycle repeats.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ze Pollack posted:

at some point during this discussion the few people who genuinely believe "social justice is just a plot to keep the white man down"

who are these people?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So how bad is this Russia/Iran sanctions thing? Probably pretty bad, yeah?
Its dumber than you think
https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/874468249475452928

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

who are these people?

Rudatron most notably. I fully agree that Hillary partisans were pretty good at bringing up the rhetoric of social justice to shut down people like him, and in so doing paint all leftists as being cut from the same poo poo-stupid cloth. That he and a small, unrepresentative group of Extremely Online left-wingers have decided the solution to the problem is to discard all social justice rhetoric as, I quote, "constructed to screen out poors" going forwards, as opposed to learning how to speak it themselves, is an embarrassing misstep both morally and strategically, and should be called out as such.

If for no other reason than "hillary clinton owned slaves" is a much more effective counterargument than "you're just saying racism is bad to keep poor people out."

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

call to action posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw7_bY44LQ8

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ze Pollack posted:

Rudatron most notably. I fully agree that hillary partisans were pretty good at bringing up the rhetoric of social justice to shut down people like him!

Hmm, well maybe you'd like to quote the post where he said "social justice is just a plot to keep the white man down" since you put it in quotes?

Also let's be honest, it's not about "social justice" it's about extreme anti-racism at any cost, including sacrificing any and all economic justice.

Seriously, you're going to attempt to defend someone who unironically writes this:

stone cold posted:

nobody cares what you think, pal

hey here's a thought: maybe we can be leftist and espouse leftist and progressive policy ideals like ubi or gmi, indexing minimum wages to inflation or median wages, justice and penal system reform, single payer, etc. AND not be racist

The amount of ignorance you'd have to hold to write something like this is just staggering. To do it while voting for a slaveowner during the primary is just :discourse:

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 15, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
The entire idea that you can separate racial justice from economic justice is a fraud and MLK jr was killed for figuring it out.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
oh hey someone got permabanned why

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

The entire idea that you can separate racial justice from economic justice is a fraud and MLK jr was killed for figuring it out.

I think America is now hosed in such a way that suggesting wealth equality makes each respective oppressed group go "no - speak directly to us"

And then the groups think they're in competition with each other when they collectively could rise from poverty together

Bernie laid it out as well as anyone could have

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ze Pollack posted:

Rudatron most notably. I fully agree that Hillary partisans were pretty good at bringing up the rhetoric of social justice to shut down people like him, and in so doing paint all leftists as being cut from the same poo poo-stupid cloth. That he and a small, unrepresentative group of Extremely Online left-wingers have decided the solution to the problem is to discard all social justice rhetoric as, I quote, "constructed to screen out poors" going forwards, as opposed to learning how to speak it themselves, is an embarrassing misstep both morally and strategically, and should be called out as such.

If for no other reason than "hillary clinton owned slaves" is a much more effective counterargument than "you're just saying racism is bad to keep poor people out."
You're a disingenuous dumb poo poo. I laid out my reasoning for why I believed the rhetoric was classist, but I didn't ever say 'social justice is a plot to keep the white man down ', that is 100% a dishonest fabrication on your part.

In fact, I also went and suggested an alternative: anti racism as praxis, something created by continuous unified action and interdependence. That you conveniently ignore this to push your dishonest stuff, in lieu of effectronica doing it for you, suggests that you're here to just do what he did. But he's gone, and I can't let you repeat what he did. Its sort of why I hesitate to make this reply, because I think the thread can recover, now that effectronica is gone, into something worthwhile, and I don't want you derailing that.

So how about this: report what you think says that to a mod. Then shut up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

Agreed in full.

Which is why when I see someone saying the rhetoric of social justice is designed to exclude the poor, and that progress is contingent on ignoring it going forward, an eyebrow goes up.

When I learn what that person's opinions on aboriginals are, well, a couple of missing puzzle pieces slot into place. The boogeyman the Hillaryites so desperately appealed to does not exist. But when the JeffersonClays of the world don't get their internships with CAP, their habit of discarding all concerns not immediately their own as exercises in 'white guilt' do not go away.

Their hearts are in the right place. They've just got a couple of bad habits left over from their pre-woke periods. And like any sheltered white person scared of social justice rhetoric, getting them to work with someone with a melanin count tends to sand off the rough edges.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ArfJason posted:

oh hey someone got permabanned why

repeat repeat offender

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I remember when this was earthworm jim 2's "puppy love" stage

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

R. Guyovich posted:

repeat repeat offender

Pete and Repeat were in a boat. Pete fell out. Who was a cis male?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

R. Guyovich posted:

repeat repeat offender

shouldnt permabans be reserved for criminals and illegal stuff

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

ArfJason posted:

shouldnt permabans be reserved for criminals and illegal stuff

take it to qcs if you want to defend mr death threats

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

NewForumSoftware posted:

take it to qcs if you want to defend mr death threats

ah, thats dumb, but i dont think i tdeserves permabann

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

ah, thats dumb, but i dont think i tdeserves permabann

He's been permabanned before

Like, for over a decade this has been going on

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
yeah but were those for like credit card fraud or murdering people over pumpkins

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewForumSoftware posted:

Considering this country was founded on the backs of black slaves whose forced labor was used for the white man's profit, liberalism's desperate attempt to save the two is ahistorical schadenfreude.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ze Pollack posted:

Except it indicts FDR and Carter simultaneously, and to a much more significant degree. If the argument is "you supported a person who benefitted from prison labor, and thus your views on race can be safely ignored", none of us get away clean. Maybe we shouldn't tear down the entire edifice of the Democratic Party in order to relitigate a fractious primary--particularly now, given we've got an existential threat in the White House, and given the right is very happy to use our infighting to attack the party's credibility on racial justice as a whole, as they did with "Hillary owned slaves!!!" A week ago.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
god forbid we criticize politicians who did horrible things in the past

first Hillary, then Carter, then FDR, then MArtin luther king junior

do those furious leftists have no shame?!

spoiler alert: your party has no credibility, you just lost to an orange cheeto man by running a slaveowner in 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Except it indicts FDR and Carter simultaneously, and to a much more significant degree.

Who gives a gently caress? Like, honestly. One is dead and the other is politically irrelevant other than making a celebrity appearance at the DNC. Indict the gently caress out of them.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Criticize politicians all you want, I don't care. Here's what I care about :

NewForumSoftware posted:

: your party has no credibility, you just lost to an orange cheeto man by running a slaveowner in 2016

I don't want to give the right this argument on a plate. Y'all seem regally enamored with cutting your nose to spite your face but I think it's probably a bad long term strategy. You know how republicans always fall back on the canard "democrats are the real racists"? Let's not give them a bunch of ammunition to use against us--and again, I don't just mean Hillary Clinton. If we're describing her as a slave owner then we've undermined Carter and FDR as well, and much more substantively.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JeffersonClay posted:

Except it indicts FDR and Carter simultaneously, and to a much more significant degree. If the argument is "you supported a person who benefitted from prison labor, and thus your views on race can be safely ignored", none of us get away clean. Maybe we shouldn't tear down the entire edifice of the Democratic Party in order to relitigate a fractious primary--particularly now, given we've got an existential threat in the White House, and given the right is very happy to use our infighting to attack the party's credibility on racial justice as a whole, as they did with "Hillary owned slaves!!!" A week ago.

The Democratic Party has been losing ground for more than a decade and, as you say, let an existential threat into the White House through sheer, mind boggling incompetence. Tearing down the entire edifice of the Democratic Party is pretty much the only good move left.

You're making the exact same argument that the Blairites did when they spent most of last year trying to depose Corbyn. It didn't work for them, and it's not going to work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't want to give the right this argument on a plate. Y'all seem regally enamored with cutting your nose to spite your face but I think it's probably a bad long term strategy. You know how republicans always fall back on the canard "democrats are the real racists"? Let's not give them a bunch of ammunition to use against us--and again, I don't just mean Hillary Clinton. If we're describing her as a slave owner then we've undermined Carter and FDR as well, and much more substantively.

Oh my god, why care? The right will argue anything and everything, us making valid criticisms of Bad Dems doesn't "empower" the right, they WON ALREADY YOU IDIOT.

• Locked thread