Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, that's a neat theory, but it A) sounds too literal to be Lynch, and B) I personally don't think it's a safe conclusion to jump to based off of the shot. It could also be implied that the child's spirit was rising up from the body and going to the White Lodge, fueled by the electricity of the pole. So, I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't agree. Lynch reused the imagery (or actually reversed it), yeah, but he's revisiting a lot of imagery from the original show.

I guess, but I can't get behind the idea that it's a continuity mistake. It's the same pole, with the same numbers, and the same Carl is standing right there. I dunno if it's the Arm, that wasn't my theory, but it seems to fit as much as anything else. I'm not saying Lynch doesn't make mistakes or retcon things, but for me, this is one of the most deliberate and direct tie-backs to FWWM we've seen.

Besides, whether Deer Meadow is in Oregon or not doesn't really matter. Given how this show works, what makes more sense?

a: the deer meadow trailer park was in fact right next to Twin Peaks the whole time, Gordon Cole said it was in "OR EE GON" for no reason, and in the 29 years since we last saw Carl, his trailer park has been turned into a busy town intersection with a totally different background, and he moved to a different trailer park several miles away, or

b: the pole is some weird lodge poo poo that exists in multiple places, and Carl just moved to Washington to retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The thing I loved so much about dougie uncovering the insurance fraud with his scribbles and his boss eventually "getting it" is that it mirrors how one actually experiences Twin Peaks as an audience member. In many ways it's a basic tutorial as to how to engage with this type of material similarly to how the "blue rose" was introduced in FWWM.

Much like the boss man, we're presented with a series of symbols and images that don't make sense to us and initially we are either intrigued or frustrated. But after time of observing the patterns and our own human intuition... our minds fill in the gaps and we start to see something being communicated. Eventually after enough time we start to understand what we're looking at what's going on.

As you might be able to tell, I really enjoyed that entire scene.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

[music plays]

"Me, Andy."
"No, I'm Andy."
"I'm Andy."
"No, no, I'm Andy and you're Cooper"
"You're Cooper"

I know we're goofin' but, like, remember how Andy would constantly bumble into immensely lucky clue finding (finding the hidden boots) or snapshooting a bad hombre? Lynch definitely equates, on some degree, being gentle and uncomplicated with being in tune with powerful luck.

edit: Also, how come no one else is going totally ripshit about the coke magician saying "I'm gonna saw open your head and eat your brains", which is the box ghost's MO

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Capntastic posted:

I know we're goofin' but, like, remember how Andy would constantly bumble into immensely lucky clue finding (finding the hidden boots) or snapshooting a bad hombre? Lynch definitely equates, on some degree, being gentle and uncomplicated with being in tune with powerful luck.

edit: Also, how come no one else is going totally ripshit about the coke magician saying "I'm gonna saw open your head and eat your brains", which is the box ghost's MO

Dougie Coop reminds me a bit of Zhuangzi's teachings about the sage being an innocent, unthinking figure who harmonizes himself to the flow of things rather than trying to gain control of them -- I don't know if Lynch would be familiar with Zhuangzi per se but he is into TM which does draw on a lot of Taoist-influenced ideas.

quote:

Duke Ai of Lu said to Confucius, "In Wei there was an ugly man named Ai T'ai-t'o. But when men were around him, they thought only of him and couldn't break away, and when women saw him, they ran begging to their fathers and mothers, saying, `I'd rather be this gentleman's concubine than another man's wife!' - there were more than ten such cases and it hasn't stopped yet. No one ever heard him take the lead - he always just chimed in with other people. He wasn't in the position of a ruler where he could save men's lives, and he had no store of provisions to fill men's bellies. On top of that, he was ugly enough to astound the whole world, chimed in but never led, and knew no more than what went on right around him. And yet men and women flocked to him. He certainly must be different from other men, I thought, and I summoned him so I could have a look. Just as they said - he was ugly enough to astound the world. But he hadn't been with me more than a month or so when I began to realize what kind of man he was, and before the year was out, I really trusted him. There was no one in the state to act as chief minister, and I wanted to hand the government over to him. He was vague about giving an answer, evasive, as though he hoped to be let off, and I was embarrassed, but in the end I turned the state over to him. Then, before I knew it, he left me and went away. I felt completely crushed, as though I'd suffered a loss and didn't have anyone left to enjoy my state with. What kind of man is he anyway?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/GlennHowerton/status/875488818085871617

It's Always Sunny In Alternate Reality Industrial Hell Philadelphia

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Capntastic posted:

That is a great catch.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Consummate Professional posted:

Man when I saw FWWM at the Alamo drafthouse this song was so goddamn loud it was nearly deafening. It helped convey how disorienting the place was but it was almost painful.

Even watching FWWM on a crappy TV years ago I was totally overwhelmed by The Pink Room - would love to catch the movie on the big screen some day.

e: I watched TP as a young kid and didn't remember much about it except the theme song and BOB. I saw FWWM was on TV one night and thought, "Great! That show was so weird and goofy, this will be fun" and, yeah, I wasn't quite ready for that.

el oso fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 16, 2017

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Unsurprisingly, Lynch killed Showtime's plans for a big marketing campaign using footage from S3.

quote:

“We visited him and came with a stack of print solutions and pretty creative video solutions,” Buckley said. “And he served donuts as he does. In the middle of it all, he interrupted the presentation, which included some of my colleagues, and said, ‘I think Don and Eric have done a great job!’ And he started applauding, and everybody joined in on the applause.”

“And two days later he killed everything we had showed him. The donuts were good though.”

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That owns.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

el oso posted:

I watched TP as a young kid and didn't remember much about it except the theme song and BOB. I saw FWWM was on TV one night and thought, "Great! That show was so weird and goofy, this will be fun" and, yeah, I wasn't quite ready for that.

The thing that really stuck with me through the years was the Civil War scenes from season 2.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Panamaniac posted:

The thing that really stuck with me through the years was the Civil War scenes from season 2.

ya, that was also my first introduction to the civil war

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I feel like the odd one out in that I just watch the show. I don't analyze anything, or think deeply about the meaning behind some pebble on the ground. I just watch it and let whatever is happening just happen. I take most of it at face value. Reading this thread (well, skimming, since I think some of you look too hard at some things) makes me feel like I'm watching an entirely different show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think everyone may want to curb their expectations on Coop "coming back" and what that will actually be like. Even if he snaps to in the next episode, is 100% "there" mentally, etc. he's still going to have frozen caveman syndrome with the world in general. It would be surprising if he was reintegrated into the FBI as a full special agent or whatever. A crazy assassin dude with his face has been wreaking havoc for decades. And he will most likely be a changed man from his time in limbo. I dunno, I could easily eat my words on this -because who can even pretend to predict what Lynch will do - but I don't think the returning Coop is going to be the same chipper guy throwing rocks and bottles and going on about trees he was. I don't think he's going to jump in and take the lead on the South Dakota murder case.

I guess in short, I'm sure Dale Cooper is going to recover and reappear at some point, but there's no way to know who Dale Cooper is and what he's going to be about once he does. Maybe this is so obvious it has gone without saying. The question isn't when Dougie-Coop is going to un-baby himself. The question is what it means to be Dale Cooper, Black Lodge Escapee, home 25 years later.

Cooper becomes the new Sheriff of Twin Peaks :3:

Name even one person who is cooler than Kyle MacLachl-

el oso posted:

Unsurprisingly, Lynch killed Showtime's plans for a big marketing campaign using footage from S3.

Nevermind.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nothing against Robert Forster, but I don't get why they didn't just make Hawk the sheriff now instead.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Lycus posted:

Nothing against Robert Forster, but I don't get why they didn't just make Hawk the sheriff now instead.

Data Graham posted:

His heritage is a toilet stall

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lycus posted:

Maybe the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department is racist.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Lycus posted:

Because then he'd have to deal with the opioid crisis instead of some lady's log.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm trying to get my dad to actually watch David Lynch. The only thing he's seen is Wild At Heart back in the early '90s and he remembers being very impressed at the ballsy filmmaking, but I don't think he even knew it was a Lynch film at the time, or didn't connect anything special to that.

I decided to link him the brief scene of Becky spacing out in the car, and my dad's response was to say "Wow, that's such a "Dirty Old Man" shot. That's gross." He seemed to feel the shot was somehow inappropriate because it was an old man shooting a pretty young woman being extremely sensual. I respected his opinion but disagreed, but it did get him talking/thinking about it.

Problem is he really needs to at least see Eraserhead/Blue Velvet/Mulholland Dr. I sort of view those as the three essential Lynch films to recommend to people who are not already big fans... Although not necessarily in that order, generally with most people either Blue Velvet or Mulholland Dr is the safest way of not immediately alienating the hell out of someone and keeping them from ever watching Lynch again - I could see Eraserhead or Inland Empire doing that.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

kaworu posted:

I decided to link him the brief scene of Becky spacing out in the car, and my dad's response was to say "Wow, that's such a "Dirty Old Man" shot. That's gross." He seemed to feel the shot was somehow inappropriate because it was an old man shooting a pretty young woman being extremely sensual. I respected his opinion but disagreed, but it did get him talking/thinking about it.

Twin Peaks is a show about a town where everyone was in love with an underage girl who was ultimately raped and murdered by her own father. Lynch's daughter also wrote a first person tie-in account of Laura being raped by her father. So if your dad had that reaction to such a brief, innocuous shot I don't think there's a hope in hell of him appreciating the rest of the series.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Also, Audrey Horne's story arcs. She's supposed to be, what, 16-ish in S1?

I have to say, that all seemed a bit out of place.

kaworu posted:

Did it include the boyfriend's part? The scene doesn't work without the boyfriend. She's an idiot who thinks her mother/boss(?) doesn't know what they're up to. He's a junkie who's in denial. And right when it's most obvious that she should bail, she snorts cocaine. The long shot of her overwhelmed by euphoria should make you think, "She's doomed. This is how doomed she is. She's following him right down the toilet and she can barely handle how much she likes it."

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

kaworu posted:

I'm trying to get my dad to actually watch David Lynch.

Show him Andy walking into the planks.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The only thing kind of taking me out of the Dougie scenes is his weird ability to hold onto his (pretty complicated) job. But then I remember that this is David Lynch and just go with it.

I think there's some semi-magical force making everyone around him act differently. In real life, the first person he talked to would call 911 after 15 seconds. Especially his wife—she knows he's not normally, uh, totally unresponsive to absolutely all stimuli, right??

When dougie looks around, he sees magical glowing lights and auras that cause him to react in unpredictable ways. These lights are causing him to slowly complete some mysterious task. I imagine that when other people look at Dougie, the same force might cause them to overlook his handicap and help him complete the work he needs to do.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Accretionist posted:

Also, Audrey Horne's story arcs. She's supposed to be, what, 16-ish in S1?

I have to say, that all seemed a bit out of place.

I thought she was supposed to be 18.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

She says she's 18

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

I think there's some semi-magical force making everyone around him act differently. In real life, the first person he talked to would call 911 after 15 seconds. Especially his wife—she knows he's not normally, uh, totally unresponsive to absolutely all stimuli, right??

I'm not sure you can make this assumption in a David Lynch production, though. People reacting to weirdness in a way you wouldn't expect is a common occurrence in all of his worlds.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It's also mentioned that Dougie is maybe not always all there, anyway. Janey-E talks about his "episodes". I think going into a fugue state is normal for this guy.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I mean the extended pilot is still perfect and it's almost feature length so just make your dad watch that

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Audrey says she's 18 to Cooper (unless I'm forgetting another instance?) but she was also desperately trying to get Cooper to fall in love with her at the time so I would take that with a mountain of salt.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure the kids were originally supposed to be college aged but lol cbs focus groups

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

Pretty sure the kids were originally supposed to be college aged but lol cbs focus groups

ABC

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I actually think it works better with them as being high school age. There are a lot of themes in the show about sexuality and young people discovering their sexuality and how the monsters out there, both real and mystical, want to take advantage of this uncertainty. Audrey taking it upon herself to investigate One-Eyed Jack's and getting in way over her head is a good example of this. It also helped to demonstrate how different Laura was from her peers in regards to how far she had dove into her own fetishism and how isolated it made her feel.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Whoa just found an article with some great trivia

http://www.clickhole.com/article/culture-shock-everything-you-need-know-about-twin--6222

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Dale Cooper is the familiar cup of coffee I thought I wanted, and Dougie is the green tea latte that I like now that I've given it a shot.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Connellingus posted:

Dale Cooper is the familiar cup of coffee I thought I wanted, and Dougie is the green tea latte that I like now that I've given it a shot.

:perfect:

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

Polo-Rican posted:

I think it's Lynch's commentary on day-to-day life. Janey-E consistently thinks Dougie is either drugged or drunk, one of his "episodes". He brings home the case files and she just rails on him to get them done to keep his job even though he is acting poorly. She does notice that there is something wrong, yet is way more worried about money than...almost anything, honestly. She's a 99%er by far, who drives a lovely car.

When she finally says she is going to take him to the doctor, she puts him at fault for the loan sharks calling and demanding money. Of course it is Dougie's fault, but she makes the "appointment" with the loan sharks purposefully at "noon-thirty" to interrupt the possibility of taking Dougie to the doctor during his lunch break, and scolds Dougie for this.

She even leaves Dougie alone at work with the security guard because she forgets he no longer has a car. Dougie is a provider of money, and not much else. As long as he gets his job done...

I dunno. It's very "reality" to me.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Connellingus posted:

Coop wears black and Dougie wears green :eyepop:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The difference in this case being the guy in the show didn't really like coffee all that much and only asked for it because it was familiar whereas if I ordered a Coop and was given a Dougie I'd still be a little annoyed.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I wonder if we'll get to know more about Dougie's family as the show progresses and whether or not they are "real" people or manufactured by BobCooper like Dougie was. If they are real and Sonny Jim is Dougie and Janey-E's child and not adopted or a child of Janey-E's from a previous relationship, he's like a Black Lodge spirit equivalent of a cambion, which in my opinion is in line with the behavior we've seen from him so far. The same could be true of Richard Horne if he does turn out to be Audrey/BobCooper's kid.

If they are all manufactured out of those little gold nuggets like Dougie it would explain their peculiar names, which could be interpreted as having a shared -E suffix. Janey-E, Doug-E, Son-E Jim. As if they're all part of an "E" series. Or maybe it's just a typical David Lynch quirk.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lycus posted:

I honestly think they had the entire script written before Ontkean dropped out, and instead of rewriting Hawk's role, Lynch and Frost just :effort: and did a find/replace with Forster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

HD DAD posted:

I honestly think they had the entire script written before Ontkean dropped out, and instead of rewriting Hawk's role, Lynch and Frost just :effort: and did a find/replace with Forster.

That sounds likely, but I personally would've been okay with a recast. I don't know if Lynch thinks that would've been disrespectful.