Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
That reminds me, which one of them does the Droopy voice? Jonah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

precision posted:

Honestly this might be my favorite Crow.

Why?

This is not me being snaky or anything. I'm legitimately curious as to why.

I mean we had 8 seasons of Trace!Crow and 3 seasons of Bill!Crow to learn to love both (I like them both but I prefer Trace.) I don't hate Hampton!Crow but he hasn't had much to do this season compared (fairly or not) to the other two. He hasn't really had his "Earth vs Soup" for me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Not sure if I should be posting here but is anyone else at tonight's Rifftrax show? I'm a little worried because my theatre is playing a TMBG song but the lyrics are barely audible. I was wondering if this was everywhere or out theatre

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BigRed0427 posted:

Not sure if I should be posting here but is anyone else at tonight's Rifftrax show? I'm a little worried because my theatre is playing a TMBG song but the lyrics are barely audible. I was wondering if this was everywhere or out theatre

Same. Now it's playing a Weird Al song and the vocals sound like he recorded them in a small bathroom.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still confused why they made reptilicus the first movie. It's so weak compared to the next few and I turned it off the first time after 15 minutes because the riffs were so bad and so rapid fire

Cry wilderness would have been so much better of a welcome to the new mst3k

Joel's take:

quote:

Why did you go with the Danish monster movie Reptilicus right out of the gate?

Hodgson: Danes! People love Danes! I don't know, I think I picked it just because it was the most emblematic of a classic MST. It was to demonstrate how good these guys were and I wanted to get that locked in with the audience. Also, it's ultimately a nice print and the sound is nice. It's a funny environment to spend 90 minutes in.

From Jonah:

quote:

ComingSoon.net: So I saw the “Reptilicus” premiere episode and then the “Cry Wilderness” episode. When I talked to Joel he was very insistent, “I want to stress there’s a big uptick in quality from the first episode to the other ones.” And I felt it. The “Cry Wilderness” episode felt like it was stronger, faster, funnier. Can you talk a little bit about the leap from the pilot to the rest of the episodes?

Jonah Ray: Yeah, it’s funny because when we started doing the episodes, I got to this one I really wanted to dub. And I was like, “Joel, we should make this the first episode. This is such a solid episode.” Then Joel, in his shaman-like way, was like, “No, man, you gotta start them off easy, then you progressively get better and better.” And I was like, “Oh okay. I don’t know if viewers work that way anymore, that you’ve got to wow them right off the bat.” But he is wise in his comedic timing, so I do think that we did get exponentially better the more we did it. “Reptilicus” was the first one we wrote and it was the first one we recorded. So we were still trying to find our rhythm, find the voices and get used to it, and also just kind of get over the mind trip of doing it at all. It was overwhelming to just be in that position of like, “Oh, wow, we’re actually doing this. We’re actually doing this. This is crazy,” that we’re getting to make “Mystery Science Theater.” I think there is a bit of that, which I hope people find charming, the way I found early episodes of “MST” charming, but they weren’t perfect. I do think that “Cry Wilderness” is such a great movie, and there’s this Korean monster movie, “Yongary,” which is basically Godzilla with a horn on its nose. When they sent us that one, the completed episode of “Yongary,” I saw it and went, “Oh man, this should be the first episode.” But hopefully people will stick with it and enjoy it as we get better at it and everyone’s more comfortable with the positions.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

WhiteHowler posted:

Same. Now it's playing a Weird Al song and the vocals sound like he recorded them in a small bathroom.

Same here. It sounded like a channel was missing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Any weakness the Reptilicus episode has is negated by that rap.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

8one6 posted:

Why?

This is not me being snaky or anything. I'm legitimately curious as to why.

I mean we had 8 seasons of Trace!Crow and 3 seasons of Bill!Crow to learn to love both (I like them both but I prefer Trace.) I don't hate Hampton!Crow but he hasn't had much to do this season compared (fairly or not) to the other two. He hasn't really had his "Earth vs Soup" for me.

Trace is currently still my favorite Crow, but Hampton's Crow has a kind of childish wonder associated with him that I've been missing since the Joel era, but with the practice and polish that the show got from the intervening years. I think he has the potential to be my favorite.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bicyclops posted:

"Now you're mister cabinet!"

I don't know why, but the delivery of that one just completely knocked me on my rear end laughing. I guess I'm old enough for dad jokes now.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 16, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's not really laugh-out-loud funny, but on reflection my favorite joke from this season might be "Meanwhile, yesterday..." in response to that bizarre cut in Carnival Magic.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 16, 2017

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
"All we know is it broke some nerd's glasses and it made an eagle sick"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I don't know why, but the delivery of that one just completely knocked me on my rear end laughing. I guess I'm old enough for dad jokes now.

So much of it is in the delivery, which is why I like the new Gypsy. You can't make those kinds of jokes in a slow dragon voice.

Like, doing the Benny Hill theme while people are running around is a really obvious joke to make, but the exact moment they did it in the last episode, and the way the three of them all get into it together just floored me.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

BigRed0427 posted:

I thought that was just my theater, but I guess it was the broadcast.

They fixed it up by the time the show started, though.

Frank and Trace *really* brought the dark to their riffs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I remembered the other thing I do not like about this new season. Why do they have to say "nightmare fuel" at the start of every episode? It almost feels like they try too hard, this is the part that makes it seem that way to me.

I know this is from a week ago or something, but it's a gag and the gag is that Kinga and Max are kind of stupid and not very creative, like how half their inventions are just plagiarism of riffs even when they don't really understand the original jokes.

Also there was a Joel-era episode where Tom called a smash-cut to a close-up of a wind-up cymbal monkey "good old-fashioned nightmare fuel." I couldn't tell you which one, but I thought of it when the Santa Claus riff was mentioned.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

business hammocks posted:

I know this is from a week ago or something, but it's a gag and the gag is that Kinga and Max are kind of stupid and not very creative, like how half their inventions are just plagiarism of riffs even when they don't really understand the original jokes.

Also there was a Joel-era episode where Tom called a smash-cut to a close-up of a wind-up cymbal monkey "good old-fashioned nightmare fuel." I couldn't tell you which one, but I thought of it when the Santa Claus riff was mentioned.

The Incredibly Mixed Up Zombies iirc

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The Incredibly Mixed Up Zombies iirc

That's the "Get your tickets here!" monkey and Crow was the one who couldn't believe his eyes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Baron isn't doing the live tour as he's about to become a dad. So Joel is teasing a new (temporary) Servo for the tour.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Speaking of... I'm pretty sure someone dropped a "nightmare fuel" line during yesterday's Rifftrax. It would go by completely unnoticed if not for all the weird complaints here.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

I remembered the other thing I do not like about this new season. Why do they have to say "nightmare fuel" at the start of every episode? It almost feels like they try too hard, this is the part that makes it seem that way to me.

Literally the entire joke is that Kinga is trying too hard. It seems like a forced catch phrase because it is one. Remember, she's trying to build a brand and sell out to Disney.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

Baron isn't doing the live tour as he's about to become a dad. So Joel is teasing a new (temporary) Servo for the tour.

Bummer in that I would have liked to see him, but congrats on his impending fatherhood!

I'm probably going to have fun at the live event even if it's just The Great Space Circus Show-oh-oh, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's the "Get your tickets here!" monkey and Crow was the one who couldn't believe his eyes.

Crow's timing and delivery on that was perfect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TL posted:

Bet it's Kevin. Or Rebecca doing her best impression.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Gaz-L posted:

Bet it's Kevin. Or Rebecca doing her best impression.

Email confirmed it as not being Kevin. :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Josh Weinstein?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Josh Weinstein?

He said it was someone who worked on the season.

I'm hoping for Elliott Kalan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bill Corbett?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Before the movie, make it overtly obvious Servo is being controlled by Crow a la Jeff Dunham

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Egbert Souse posted:

Before the movie, make it overtly obvious Servo is being controlled by Crow a la Jeff Dunham

In a racist way?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

TL posted:

He said it was someone who worked on the season.

I'm hoping for Elliott Kalan.

he'd be a better Crow

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Neil Patrick Harris. He, like Servo, loves to sing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Breadallelogram posted:

he'd be a better Crow

Maybe vocally. Personality wise, he's totally Servo.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Itll probably be Russ Walko. He was Servos primary operator during this season and was the voice for the Turkey Day 14 and 15 parts. Or Grant Baciocco, who was Waverly Operator and Voice and Crows Operator.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Godsdamnit, I want more Waverly. :mad:

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Alehkhs posted:

Godsdamnit, I want more Waverly. :mad:
Ill have one built soon. Grant and Russ have been helping us id parts on Botbuilders since even they dont know what they are (or they are required to say that due to an NDA).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grant loves talking about Waverly enough that he posts on little fan boards about it, and his puppet stories on the MST3K website are always full of joy. He seems like he just loves working on the show. :unsmith:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Starting on Monday (June 26th) at 11AM PT, the Shout! Factory TV Twitch channel will be running a 38-episode marathon of classic MST3K.

Check out this blog post for more information.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Alehkhs posted:

Starting on Monday (June 26th) at 11AM PT, the Shout! Factory TV Twitch channel will be running a 38-episode marathon of classic MST3K.

Check out this blog post for more information.

This is live now.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

This is live now.
There's also a sale on MST3K DVDs at ShoutFactory as well, although the "45% off!" is off of retail price which means that most are cheaper at their regular price on Amazon. That said, are there any episodes that are on any of these collections that aren't part of the "MST3K Mystery Science Theater Classic Collection" that they sold on mst3k.vhx.tv during the kickstarter?

EDIT: "The time is 8:06am. **The temperature is 20 degrees!**." Maybe I am in the minority but I loved Reptilicus.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 26, 2017

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I appreciate that they're keeping the commercial breaks intact so I won't miss as much if I need to leave my living room for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Sharing the first appearance of Mr. B Natural with unprepared newbies on Twitch is an experience I'm filing away with singing along to "Slow the Plot Down" at the convention.

So much confusion. So much terror.