Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm just mad because now I'm hungry and want a brat :argh:

So do I. Hopefully my cousin cooked some for his 1 year old's birthday party. He lives in Wisconsin so I think it's a law that when you grill out brats are mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You are going to need condiments if you want to eat a pre 20th century sausage, that is for sure.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, booking tickets to Serbia now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I don't think showing a picture of a Chicago dog really backs up your notion of encased meats having Very Specific Righteous and True Toppings. I kinda like those things from the novelty of throwing the kitchen sink on a hotdog but LOL at the notion that ketchup is somehow less pure than an entire pickle spear or slices of whole tomato.

Neither of those are a Chicago Dog though.

I am an encased meat snob in that while I will eat even the most basic of mass-market hot dogs on a plane-rear end bun, I will NEVER put ketchup on a dog or brat or sausage. I'm the rear end in a top hat who makes a run for fresh ingredients if doing an actual cookout, and if lazily eating at home, I will always have pickle spears, mustard, and celery salt, and sport peppers on hand, at a minimum.

For super simple cookouts where you really can't deal with toppings, the answer is easy. Encased meat, a bun, either totally plane, or with mustard to taste.

For reference, this is a chicago dog:

Another chicago dog:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Chicago hot dogs are garbage. This is my Alamo.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

To tie this food chat back to the thread title were there things soldiers were fed so much in the past that the food developed a terrible reputation? I'm talking pre-WW2 since we already covered SPAM.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Benagain posted:

Because all of that is the only thing that keeps people who put ketchup on hot dogs from being rounded up and shot like they deserve.

Not emptyquoting.

(Marginally) related content:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/20/chicago-hot-dog-king-may-own-wwii-japanese-commanders-tooth.amp.html

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
To weer a thread in a more boring and usual direction:
1. When were the M4s deployed for the first time?
2. When did they start outfitting them with wet racks? Did all tanks or all models get outfitted with them? How long did that last? Did all French, British, Russian and whatever M4s get wet racks?
3. What was the armor protection on the M4 and how did it change with the general models?
4. How does the protection compare to Pz IVs they faced and contemporary T-34s? Did Pz IV have outstanding safety issues or features?
5. How the Sherman gun compare with the Pz IV gun it faced again?
6. Steel Division bonus question: did StuGs have better armor than an M4 at any point?

I'll be playing Bolt Action as Brits and I have both a Cromwell that I know to be meh and a Sherman V that I love for unclear reasons, and I'll have to defend its honor.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

AFAIK it went from actual famine in the late war to mass shortages during the early years of occupation. Think mass starvation turning into mass malnutrition.

caveat: I barely know what I'm talking about.

By far the worst point was right at the beginning of the occupation. Besides the destruction of the Japanese merchant marine and the end of imports from the colonies there was also a massive influx of destitute Japanese refugees. To top it all off, the Japanese rice harvest virtually failed in 1945, producing a disastrous food situation. American service men weren't supposed to eat any Japanese food in the early months so as not to put any excess stress on the food situation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Squalid posted:

By far the worst point was right at the beginning of the occupation. Besides the destruction of the Japanese merchant marine and the end of imports from the colonies there was also a massive influx of destitute Japanese refugees. To top it all off, the Japanese rice harvest virtually failed in 1945, producing a disastrous food situation. American service men weren't supposed to eat any Japanese food in the early months so as not to put any excess stress on the food situation.

This is one of those back end of the 'should we have dropped the bomb' points - if Japan hadn't surrendered right when they did then it would have been too late to avoid famine on a catastrophic scale.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

2. When did they start outfitting them with wet racks? Did all tanks or all models get outfitted with them? How long did that last? Did all French, British, Russian and whatever M4s get wet racks?
3. What was the armor protection on the M4 and how did it change with the general models?
4. How does the protection compare to Pz IVs they faced and contemporary T-34s? Did Pz IV have outstanding safety issues or features?
6. Steel Division bonus question: did StuGs have better armor than an M4 at any point?

I'll be playing Bolt Action as Brits and I have both a Cromwell that I know to be meh and a Sherman V that I love for unclear reasons, and I'll have to defend its honor.

I'll take a stab at a few of them:

1) In combat? N. Africa, 1942 I believe, maybe even El Alemein.

4) About the same-ish. Probably a bit worse than the T-34 and a bit better than the PzIV (depends on what model, I'm thinking 1942-3 models here)

5) About the same-ish, if we're talking the long 75 Pz IVs and the early T34s

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

1. The Second Battle of El Alamein

2. 1943, IIRC. Not all Sherman variants got wet racks at the same time. I think all nations eventually ended up with at least some wet ammo rack Shermans. Here's a handy chart.

3. Another chart, this time from the Haynes book.

4. The PzIV started out with rather flimsy protection. In 1939, when the T-34 was accepted into service, the PzIV Ausf. D had only 30 mm of armour. There was some hemming and hawing about raising that to 50 mm, but many more tanks would be produced with 30 mm of front armour, and then 60 mm (30 + 30 mm applique plate) before 50 mm fronts were standardized. The ultimate version of the PzIV had an 80 mm thick front hull and 50 mm thick front armour. The T-34 entered production with a 45 mm thick front sloped at 60 degrees and a 45 mm thick turret. Cast turrets were (at least) 51 mm thick. A 100 mm thick cast connecting beam was designed to join the upper and lower front plates instead of using one huge curved plate, but, ironically, it was the weakest part of the front hull since it was flat and shells did not ricochet from it. This weakness was resolved in 1944. The T-34-85 started out with a 52 mm thick turret front, but it was upgraded to 90 mm.

One particularly egregious safety mistake on the PzIV was that its ammunition was stored in the panniers, behind very thin armour (20 mm, later 40 mm). This resulted in a high chance of ammunition fires when the tank was penetrated.

5. The question is, which gun. The PzIV started out with a low velocity 7.5 cm KwK 37, which compared poorly to the Sherman's 75 mm M3. The longer 7.5 cm guns (L/43 and L/48) were better than the M3, but the 76 mm M1 gun had better armour piercing performance than those. Then there's the 17-pounder on British Fireflies, which had significantly higher penetration.

6. StuGs received 80 mm of front armour at most, which was still effectively less than on a standard Sherman.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chicago hot dogs are garbage. This is my Alamo.

Chicagoans just don't understand when to stop when it comes to cooking. See also the casserole they try to pass off as pizza. :barf:

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

JcDent posted:

3) The frontal protection of most Shermans is around 90mm of effective armor, similar to a T-34 and a fair bit better than even late Pz IVs. Sides are around 40mm, a fairly typical level of protection for a WWII medium, it won't protect you from a square shot with any serious antitank weapons. This stayed pretty much constant over the lifetime of the vehicle, the upgraded models tended to eliminate weak spots like the hatch humps on the glacis or the rounded transmission casing but the level of overall protection stayed the same, Jumbos excepted.

4) Pz IV protection was somewhat lacking, 50mm frontal armor overall when the Sherman first started getting relevant, with the hull getting an upgrade to 80mm soon after. The turret stayed 50mm for weight balance reasons, the long 75mm was already too heavy for the turret and it had to be mounted very far forwards as to not recoil straight into the commander's balls. It also had fairly weak 30mm side armor that proved vulnerable to antitank rifle fire, prompting the adition of the Schürzen skirt armor on late models.

T-34s had fairly comparable protection to the Shermans, with slightly better side armor at 45mm and a slightly weaker turret protection on 76mm models. The T-34-85 offered better turret protection, both from the front and sides.

5) The 75mm Sherman had a very similar gun to the 76mm T-34, both of those being inferior to the 75mm of the PzIV, as it shot a significantly slower round (~620m/s versus ~750m/s). Round velocity is a very important factor in both shooting accuracy (Slower rounds are more sensitive to range estimation errors) and armor penetration. All in all, the gun deficiencies on the allied side were pretty much ofset by the armor protection advantages, and a 75mm Sherman facing a late PzIV would end up being vulnerable to each other at very similar distances.
Both 76mm Shermans and 85mm T-34s outclass the PzIV significantly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

To tie this food chat back to the thread title were there things soldiers were fed so much in the past that the food developed a terrible reputation? I'm talking pre-WW2 since we already covered SPAM.

Rutabagas have a bad reputation across parts of Central Europe as a famine food for wartime shortages.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
LT vz. 35

Queue: Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, big guns for the KV-1, 122 mm howitzer for the T-34 and KV, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Tankbuchse 41, PzVII Lowe, Marder II, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, Chaffee trials in the USSR, KV-1S, KV-13, s.FH. 18, Strv 81 and Strv 101

Available for request:

:911:

:britain:
Matilda

:ussr:

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv m/41

:poland:

:france:

:godwin:

:eurovision:

:jewish:

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe that the 80mm hull front on the late PZ IV's was the 50mm with the 30mm applique plate bolted on, which is not as strong as an 80mm plate.

Later M4 turrets had a much larger mantlet on them as well, which added significantly to the protection. This was on the large hatch turrets only IIRC.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How did political indoctrination in armed forces develop from colourful banners and personal oaths of loyalty to your liege to what we have in contemporary nation states (conscripts sitting at lessons learning about how their nation is the good one and worthy dying for)? Did Soviets invent the political officer or were there predecessors?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign Expendable posted:

LT vz. 35

Queue: Praga AH-IV, Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, big guns for the KV-1, 122 mm howitzer for the T-34 and KV, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Tankbuchse 41, PzVII Lowe, Marder II, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41

Available for request:

Chaffee trials in the USSR NEW

Matilda

KV-1S
ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs
KV-13 NEW

L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101
Strv m/41

s.FH. 18

Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes

Czech prototypes, Chaffee trials, KV-13, ZIK-7, KV-1S, and s.FH.18 please.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nenonen posted:

How did political indoctrination in armed forces develop from colourful banners and personal oaths of loyalty to your liege to what we have in contemporary nation states (conscripts sitting at lessons learning about how their nation is the good one and worthy dying for)? Did Soviets invent the political officer or were there predecessors?

AFAIK indoctrination was handled by officers and sometimes NCOs instead. Loyalty to the sovereign was assumed to be a given, and everyone had to at least pretend in the mission or be ostracized at best.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

LT vz. 35

Queue: Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, big guns for the KV-1, 122 mm howitzer for the T-34 and KV, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Tankbuchse 41, PzVII Lowe, Marder II, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, Chaffee trials in the USSR, KV-1S, KV-13, s.FH. 18

Available for request:

Matilda

L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101
Strv m/41

Oooh, is the Strv 81 about the Centurion in Swedish service with the crazy ERA or applique or whatever it is that makes it look like an attempt at making a centurion in a PSOne game engine?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The very same.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Then definitely that one please.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

Rutabagas have a bad reputation across parts of Central Europe as a famine food for wartime shortages.

I think you mean turnips :smugdog:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Revolutionary France definitely had a sort of political officer, at least at times during the Revolutionary Wars, in the form of the representative on mission, as well as a variety of commissioners that were tasked with maintaining proper revolutionary spirit at the higher levels of the military, and with dragging generals back to Paris to be guillotined if they showed insufficient zeal. The army was very active in mixing conscripted recruits, patriotic volunteers, and veteran forces together in unit formations, both for training of the green troops and to enhance cohesion. I can't really speak to how much actual indoctrination the raw recruits were given in the 'ideals' of the revolution, though. They certainly would have been exposed to those ideals and expected to fight for them, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

The short version of an answer that there are entire libraries written about would be the development of nationalism and individual loyalty to the nation-state rather than the monarch or whatever personal relationship. Around the late 18th/early 19th century you start seeing that flare up in a big way, culminating in the mid 19th century with states actively trying to convince everyone that they are NATION_ADJECTIVE rather than whatever their long standing religious/regional/ethnic/linguistic/etc identity was. The best example of this is probably France. There was a very conscious effort that made extensive use of public education and other government offices to construct a "French" identity based around the cultural values and linguistic identity of the ile de France region at the expense of Norman, Breton, Sauvignon, Gascon, etc identity. This is all happening on the level of civil society, but it's also a huge deal in the armed forces as well. Half of the argument for making everyone get on board with a single version of French (or English, or German, or Spanish etc) is linguistic commonality in the ranks. If you are a nation conscripting soldiers a public school system helps enforce that linguistic commonality from an early age, as well as inculcating the basic respect for government, respect for authority, and acceptance of regimented schedules that military life needs as well. It's worth noting that Austria-Hungary is a notable outlier precisely because they fail to do this so we all get to laugh at how hosed their command and control was on a language level during WW1.

The deep, DEEP answer to all this goes back to the idea of nationalism and armies drafted from the population as a whole, of course. At that point you're talking French revolution, levee en masse, and the knock on effects in the rest of Europe. Prussia and England both cultivated French style nationalism (without the revolutionary overtones of course) in the decades following because it was a really handy way to convince hundreds of thousands of people to accept being conscripted into the military.

edit: as someone who did an entire dissertation on educational reform I can not emphasize enough just how inextricably linked nationalistic projects and public schools are. It is literally the government gathering all children together and teaching them the things that they think will make them good citizens. "You are American/German/French/whatever and have a duty to your nation" is right up there with literacy and numeracy in poo poo that they need to get across before middle school

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 17, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Like, stop and think for a second. What are you? French, American, British? Where did you learn you are that and not Alsatian or Nebraskan* or whatever the gently caress you call someone from Wessex?

*Texas is a great example of this because those crazy fucks actually do the same public school indoctrination on a state level because they have this bizarro historical memory of being their own country for a decade.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like, stop and think for a second. What are you? French, American, British? Where did you learn you are that and not Alsatian or Nebraskan* or whatever the gently caress you call someone from Wessex?

*Texas is a great example of this because those crazy fucks actually do the same public school indoctrination on a state level because they have this bizarro historical memory of being their own country for a decade.

Dead for 1100 years is what we mostly call them

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

so does new mexico because we were part of the spanish empire for way longer than we were part of the us

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

That was a problem for the entire US to a degree up to and immediately after the ACW. As far as I know, the only people that really care anymore are Texans and politicians. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if the US had tried to stick with the Articles of Confederation, or just amended them instead of totally starting over.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Cyrano4747 posted:

This can get pretty interesting if you're digging through genealogy. My family came to the Jamestown from "France" in 1700, but after googling their last name before they Anglicized it, I discovered it was Occitan, so they probably didn't even speak French. Apparently some of of the Huguenots in Occitania move north for a bit before finally emigrating to the New World when it got really intolerable over there.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

You are going to need condiments if you want to eat a pre 20th century sausage, that is for sure.

what was the quote... "war without fire is like sausage without mustard"?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

what was the quote... "war without fire is like sausage without mustard"?
like a meal without the salad course, i think

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

2. 3. and 4.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The M3's had a welded hull by the time the A3 variant was put into production. Occasionally, you can see an M5 or some late M3 tanks with rivets on the upper rear hull, along with welding.

As for the M3 Medium Tank, it had two variants with riveted hulls, one with cast hull, and another with a welded hull.

Also, found this M4 effort post I did for a dumb game, reposted for posterity.

The M4 Medium Tank "Sherman"

Production Dates*:

M4: July 1942 - January 1944
M4(105): February 1944 - March 1945
M4A1: February 1942 - December 1943
M4A1(76)W: January 1944 - July 1945
M4A2: April 1942 - May 1944
M4A2(76)W: April 1944 - May 1945
M4A3: June 1942 - September 1943
M4A3(105): May 1944 - June 1945
M4A3(75)W: February 1944 - March 1945
M4A3(76)W: March 1944 - April 1945
M4A3E2: June 1944 - July 1944
M4A3E8(76): August 1944
M4A3E8(105): September 1944
M4A4: July 1942 - November 1943
M4A6: October 1943 - February 1944

*:This information was taken directly from Wikipedia. One source is a dead link and the 2nd doesn't mention all the same info, so take this with a grain of salt.

Shortest production run: M4A3E8 (75) and (105) - 1 month
Lowest production run: M4A6 - 75 examples

Ascending order by production date*:
M4A1
M4A2
M4A3
M4 - M4A4
M4A6
M4A1(76)W
M4(105) - M4A3(75)W
M4A3(76)W
M4A2(76)W
M4A3(105)
M4A3E2
M4A3E8(76)
M4A3E8(105)

*This list created solely with the use of the above-mentioned production dates.

Despite the naming convention, the M4 was not the first Sherman to be produced but the overall design did go through many different iterations and modifications. Throughout it's service life it was up-gunned, reinforced with more armor and re-engined for better mobility. It also used several different types of tracks, had many personal modifications by their crew, and multiple attempts to add more protection for the crew by the crew. So even though the M4 didn't come first, I'll start with it since it was the base design.

M4

The original M4, even though it wasn't the first to be produced, was named that way because it was the first model standardized for production. It was expected that there would be a bottleneck in production of the cast upper hull of the M4A1, which is why it was built. In fact, the M4 and the M4A1 differed only in the hull, the welded hull allowed for the stowage of seven more 75mm rounds than in the cast hull; the M4 had a welded hull and the M4A1 had a cast upper hull with welded sides. All M4's had a Wright R-975-C1 9-cylinder radial engine, driving a 5-speed manual synchromesh transmission with the final drive in the nose of the vehicle. The high-angle hull was a result of the height of the engine and the angled propeller shaft, and the vertical sides were designed to reduce production times. The width of the tank was dictacted by the turret ring, which necessitated full-length sponsons over the tracks and these in turn were used for ammo and equipment storage. The turret was a one-piece cast type with a full turret basket and carried a 75mm M3 L/40, and a .30 M1919A4 LMG as the coaxial gun in the combination mount M34. This arrangement provided an external mantlet for the main gun only. The fixed mantlet had a slot in it to allow the coaxial gun to elevate along with the main armament. The crew of five consisted of: the driver, assistant driver/bow gunner, and commander, gunner and loader in the turret. The gunner was located in the right-front part of the turret, with the commander sitting directly behind him; the loader was on the left side of the turret. There were hatches for the driver, co-driver and commander. Getting out of the turret in an emergency was a problem. Early production M4's still had some remnants of the M3 Medium Tank's design. For example, they retained the 3-piece transmission cover that was bolted together. The driver and co-driver hatches were located in bow extensions angled 60 degrees and had direct vision slots with armor visors. The tracks were usually a plain rubber block track. The rear of the tank had double doors to access the engine. Soon after production began, experiences in the field with the M4 (And it's earlier produced variants) lead to some changes that would regularly be found on mid-production examples. The suspension changed from the M3's bogies to the M4's Vertical Volute Spring Suspension (VVSS), the direct vision slots for the (co-)driver were removed and replaced by fixed periscopes in front of the hull hatches, the 3-piece housing for the transmission was changed to a sturdier 1-piece version, and the M34 mount was replaced by the M34A1 mount which had increased protection. Problems with ammunition fires led to the introduction of applique armor, 1" plates that were welded over the 3 sponson ammo bins. On late production M4's, applique armor was also applied to the front of the driver and co-driver hatches to improve frontal protection, and some applique armor was usually applied to the turret in front of the gunner. To help conserve rubber, different tracks were introduced. Near the end of the M4's production run, a composite hull was devised using a cast front section welded to rolled plate sides and rear.

M4(105)

One part of the original M4 concept was to have it use a 105mm howitzer as an alternative armament. These, however, weren't produced until late in the war, from '44 on. Because they appeared so late in the production run of their respective variant, they had the improvements built-in straight from the factory. Late production M4(105)'s had the Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS) and wider tracks, as well as a new commander cupola. It featured the late welded-hull M4 with a single-piece glacis. Ammunition storage for the 105mm howitzer was 66 rounds kept in dry stowage racks on the hull floor. Another interesting thing to note is that the hatches for the driver and co-driver are the larger type, making it easier to enter and exit the vehicle. An easy way to tell the M4 from the (105) variant is the additional blower dome at the rear of the turret, just above the radio.

M4A1

The first Shermans to roll out of the factory was of the M4A1 type. As with early M4 Medium Tanks: the M4A1 had direct vision doors, M3-style suspension, T41 rubber block-style tracks, narrow M34 gun mount. On really early M4A1's, the T6's twin hull MG mounts were still in place but were rarely, if ever, used. The M4A1 had an all cast hull save the 3-piece transmission housing. Like the M4, the A1 variant had its direct vision doors removed and the front upper hull was modified to provide a lot more protection. Again, rubber tracks were removed in order to save on the scarce resource, with new all-metal tracks being used. Track extensions, called "Duck Bills", were used in order to reduce ground pressure and thus improving flotation on soft ground. Applique armor was also used on the M4A1, again welded to the side sponsons to protect the ammunition, and a small plate was added to the turret in front of the gunner. That small plate was eventually thickened in the original casting rather than adding a welded armor plate. It should be noted that all these different modifications were incorporated at different times, which production plant, and even which armor depot the tank was located at. This lead to some odd combinations of features, and even stranger mixes within combat units.

M4A1(76)W

In January 1944, changes were made and incorporated to the M4A1 Sherman in order to upgrade it's combat efficiency. The hatches for the frontal hull crewmembers were enlarged, an all new turret based on the one developed for the T23 Medium Tank was installed using the new M1A1 76mm gun. The first 76mm guns didn't have any provisions for a muzzle brake. The ammunition used for this new gun was stored in the new wet storage racks in the lower hull. Later examples had a modified loader's hatch and different guns - the M1A2 and A3 versions.

M4A2

The main difference of the M4A2 from previous models is the use of a diesel-powered engine, the General Motors 6046. The Army resisted the idea of a diesel-fuelled tank as it would complicate supply lines, but the Navy, who used diesel in smaller craft, decided to use it. These were subsequently used in the Pacific theatre of operations. Interestingly, the Fisher tank arsenal produced a series of M4A2's which replaced the cast hull components will rolled steel plate and gave it a distinct appearance. Aside from the diesel engines, the M4A2 was a welded-hull tank and used parts identical to the M4 and M4A1, being upgrade as the war progressed in a similar fashion.

M4A2(76)W

Only late production A2's carried the 76mm gun. They were usually supplied to Allied armies via lend-lease rather than used with US forces.

M4A3

By the time the M4A3 was put into production, they had introduced the one-piece cast transmission housing and, as production continued, further improvements were added just like previous models. M4A3's were powered by the Ford GAA Petrol V-8 engine due to a shortage of Continental radial engines. One of my books uses the M4A3 to talk about the ammunition issues.

The solution they came up with was the addition of applique armor over the 3 most exposed ammunition bins as well as the two hull crewmember positions as they were nearly vertical compared to the 60 degree angled hull.

Interestingly, the engine was more compact than other models and the Sherman's profile could've been lowered but the need to avoid any interruption in production meant that they opted out of changing the hull. The M4A3 was the most common Sherman and was also the type to be retained for use post-war.

M4A3(105)

The 105mm-armed Shermans were often used as self-propelled artillery and it wasn't uncommon to see them with ammunition trailers when acting as an artillery piece. Since they also weren't expected to combat other tanks, most did not have the applique armor, and had dry stowage for their munitions.

M4A3(75)W

The W stands for "Wet Stowage" :eng101:

M4A3(76)W

As with other (76) types, it was upgunned to the 76mmm M1A1 gun (And eventually the M1A1C and M1A2 gun). The 76mm gun provided approx. 1 inch of added penetration at comparable ranges, although the H.E. shell performed worse than the 75mm gun which is why it was continued.

M4A3E2

To fill in the role of an assault vehicle, it was deemed possible, with some modifications to the new 47 degree hull on the M4A3, to fulfill this rolse. The resulting tank had an additional 1 and 1/2 inches of armor plating added to the glacis and the sides for a total of 4 and 3 inches, respectively. The final drive housing was changed to a thicker version of up to 5 and a half inches. It retained the 75mm gun as the H.E. shell performed better, but the turret itself was much better protected with 6 inch thick armor on the sides and two and a half inches at the rear. The gun shield had an additional plate added to it which increased the thickness to 7 inches. The suspension had a hard time coping with all the added weight and, as a result, it wasn't uncommon to see a variety of different roadwheels. Some Jumbos were re-armed to have the 76mm gun.

M4A3E8(76)

The Easy Eight's began as a way to improve the Shermans cross-country capabilities and lower overall ground pressure. This led to the Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS) and how the E8 got it's nickname. When troops started to receive the new tank, they found the ride so greatly improved that the name "Easy Eight" stuck. The HVSS system used a wider track and was retroactively added to other variants.

M4A3E8(105)

Like other 105mm Howitzer armed M4's mated with the E8's hull and suspension.

M4A4

Another engine modification, the M4A4 used the Chrysler A57 "Multibank" engine. The new engine was longer than previous types and as a result the hull had to be lengthened at the rear. Every A4 was built with the 75mm gun as the armament and were either kept in the States for training or supplied to the British as lend-lease.

M4A6

The A6 type was an experimental look into multi-fuel engines. Using a modified Wright radial engine, it could be fuelled by diesel, 100-octane gasoline, and more. Even though only 75 tanks were built, they were not all the same. Some were built with later turrets while others kept the earlier type. It is easily identified by it's sharp nose where the final drive housing is located. The A6 never saw combat.

Misc. Stuff

Direct vision ports and rear deck

View of small hatches

Early 76mm Turret

Late 76mm Turret

"Jumbo" Turret

Stacking sandbags was a common field modification

Tracks too!

Even cement, in bags or not, was added in some cases

Apologies for any mistakes that may be in the post. I need to get a scanner or something someday...

Also, Panzer IVs have a wide variety of changes, like any other piece of equipment that is in an army's inventory for quite some time.

The highest amount of armor the Panzer IV ever had was 80mm on the front. The turret went up to 50mm. In Panzer Tracts 4-3, H.L. Doyle and co. list that armor as being capable of withstanding attack from AP shells fired by the Russia T-34/76 and the American 75mm M3 gun. At normal ranges, it could be penetrated by the American 76mm M1A1 and the Russian 85mm guns.

They also go to some length to hammer home the fact that Schurzen was only for anti-tank rifles. The Schurzen was eventually replaced by wire mesh schurzen that did the same thing but weighed less AND helped break up the tank's profile (as well as being easier to fit foliage into).

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

Does anyone know where the Americanized brat came from? I love them both but it bears very little resemblance to an actual bratwurst.

I've had brats in the Midwest and Germany. Can't say I saw too much difference, other than being able to get pineapple brats at Hy-Vee.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

My experience in Steel Division, for what it's worth, is that the German cats are obnoxious to deal with especially if properly supported and on the defense. It's easier to deal with them as the Commonwealth divisions (but then you'll be cursing the existence of the PIAT when the guy using it dumps all his ammo at the target and fails to kill it) except for the King Tiger that always inevitably appears.

Of course for every non-goon skilled player there's three or so wehraboos who drive Panthers into M5 76mm guns and rage quit. And then you get moments like this.

Edit: It doesn't model some stuff like reliability or soldier stamina for the sake of gameplay though so German cats don't breakdown on the game randomly and a single soldier can haul a 17pdr/Flak 88 1km across a field.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

They can disagree with the US having military bases in Japan, but that doesn't make them an occupied nation. The last time I checked Japan had a constitution, its own courts, its own elected government, and any criminal violations were pursued by those domestic apparatuses.

Before 1952 this was very much not the case.

To be fair, Germany had all those things but was still officially occupied until 1998, when we officially got our sovereignty back. When it happened in 1998, I watched the British troops march out of my hometown. It was kind of a somber experience, considering we had lived with the soldiers and their families for our entire lives.

That said, we of course also still have US-bases everywhere, and we don't see that as occupation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

Does anyone know where the Americanized brat came from? I love them both but it bears very little resemblance to an actual bratwurst.

I've had bratwursts in Germany that are very similar to what Americans consider a brat, but I think the main difference in Germany is that there are so many different regional takes with different filling, cooking methods, and sides than most Americans see from mass-market brats. I'm sure there are plenty of one-off brat recipes in Wisconsin, though. Civilized people still understand that regardless they either get eaten straight, apart from side items, or with mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Libluini posted:

To be fair, Germany had all those things but was still officially occupied until 1998, when we officially got our sovereignty back. When it happened in 1998, I watched the British troops march out of my hometown. It was kind of a somber experience, considering we had lived with the soldiers and their families for our entire lives.

That said, we of course also still have US-bases everywhere, and we don't see that as occupation.

That's some conspiracy theorist poo poo right here. West Germany was practically sovereign since 1955 and fully sovereign since 1990. The only people who claim otherwise are neo-nazis and affiliated folks who think the current German government is illegitimate because something something the Geneva convention in connection with Admirality law and the Hague convention on the use of explosive shells...