Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I have trouble imagining Bethesda gaming without mods, but 1) the SE has mods and will gain more over time and 2) apparently the vast overwhelming majority of the playerbase doesn't play with ANY mods at all. Unless there's some very specific overhaul mod available on one version and not the other, I don't imagine there's much reason to grab the older iteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

apparently the vast overwhelming majority of the playerbase doesn't play with ANY mods at all
You're referring to this old blog post of Bethesda? For starters that blog claimed Oblivion shipped without DRM and that's nonsense.
More to the point: I'm perfectly willing to believe that a majority of the users never touched a mod, but that number of 8% isn't believable. At best it could be how many people used the steam workshop, but even then I'm wondering if they're adding in the console users somewhere. And they also ought to subtract the roughly 20% of PC Oldrim owners who haven't even completed the tutorial dungeon.
Oldrim doesn't phone home to inform Bethesda when you grabbed a mod of the Nexus and dumped it in your data folder. So Bethesda had no way to gather real statistics about mod usage.

That only 1% used the Creation Kit is more realistic. But even that doesn't count the people who created mods using xEdit, Photoshop, 3dsmax or any other tool that isn't the CK.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 16, 2017

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^ It might not be that far off, where like 50% of consumers often don't even load the game, if they even complete tutorials.

MrMojok posted:

Is Oldrim with all the mods really that much better than Skyrim SE with less mods available? I'm not trolling or anything, I am new to all this. Just downloaded SE on steam three weeks ago, and I've found a ton of mods that are awesome. Somehow I have managed to put 149 hours into it in twenty days, it is some really sick poo poo and I guess now I am a sick, broken person.

But all the old-timers here and everywhere else seem to think Oldrim and the countless mods for it (along with SKSE) was the greatest thing ever. If it's really better than SE, and I had gotten that instead I guess I probably would have died of starvation sitting at the computer by now.

It depends on where your priories are. GENERALLY, no, even with mods, Oldrim isn't so much better that SE is out of the question.

My big thing is Legacy of the Dragonborn. As much as I want to use it though, it isn't enough to get me back to Oldrim. Still, stability is such a big deal, Oldrim is ruled out as a matter of course, to me. Even when taking advantage of >4gb on Win7, Oldrim just isn't anywhere near as stable as SE, and the performance doesn't compare, besides. Simple example is those early videos popping up, of someone spawning like 200NPCs and things still running OK. I get like 20 NPCs in combat on Oldrim and it might as well crash, IF it doesn't.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Raygereio posted:

More to the point: I'm perfectly willing to believe that a majority of the users never touched a mod, but that number of 8% isn't believable.

8% is totally believable. At one point 86% of Skyrim players were on console with no mods, which would mean that if about half the PC players tried a mod at some point 8% of Skyrim players would have tried a mod.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I just wish AV and ASIS worked in SSE. My SSD isn't big enough to mess with installing Oldrim just to create those patches.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

No SPERG, no deal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raygereio posted:

For starters that blog claimed Oblivion shipped without DRM and that's nonsense.

No; Oblivion merely had a CD check. Then they put in SecuROM for the Shivering Isles expansion pack. Then they moved to using Steam as their DRM.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Trainwiz make the Skyrim shivering isle like expansion

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

shivering isles had its time, doing anything sheogorath related now feels super hack-y

*holds up spork*

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

shivering isles had its time, doing anything sheogorath related now feels super hack-y

*holds up spork*

I mean in scope not actually the content

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gorgar posted:

No SPERG, no deal.

SPERG is ported to the SE. Though with a few caveats like not being able to change the rate you gain perks.

Also the Best Friend animal pals are broken :(

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Zore posted:

SPERG is ported to the SE. Though with a few caveats like not being able to change the rate you gain perks.

Wait it is? Is there an ordinator patch or must I once again choose?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zore posted:

I never actually bothered with those because I have an inborn hatred of companions in FPS games, and in inborn hatred of companions you don't control directly in RPGs, but for some reason that's depressing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

No; Oblivion merely had a CD check. Then they put in SecuROM for the Shivering Isles expansion pack. Then they moved to using Steam as their DRM.
i know that a disc check may look like nothing compared to poo poo like always-one or limited number of activations, but it's still a form of DRM.

ulmont posted:

8% is totally believable. At one point 86% of Skyrim players were on console with no mods, which would mean that if about half the PC players tried a mod at some point 8% of Skyrim players would have tried a mod.
It was blog post from 2015 and before Fallout4/SkyrimSE & mods on consoles were a thing that existed. The console player base wouldn't be relevant to the topic of mods and why paid-modding on the Steam Workshop would be awesome for modding since they didn't have access to mods or Steam.
And even if the console playerbase were relevant to the topic somehow, that doesn't chance the fact that Bethesda has no way of tracking how many people actually have used an Oldrim mod. At best they can track how many individual owners of the game used a Steam Workshop mod.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

xanthan posted:

Wait it is? Is there an ordinator patch or must I once again choose?

The Ordinator patch hasn't been ported. So you have to choose.

Skwirl posted:

I never actually bothered with those because I have an inborn hatred of companions in FPS games, and in inborn hatred of companions you don't control directly in RPGs, but for some reason that's depressing.

Yeah, I miss my mammoth buddy. :(

She made my life so much easier and sold my stuff.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Trainwiz make the Skyrim shivering isle like expansion

KakerMix posted:

What you want is an expanded Aethernautics mod that actually gives you poo poo to do once you're in space. Right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

RickVoid posted:

What you want is an expanded Aethernautics mod that actually gives you poo poo to do once you're in space. Right?

Yeah pretty much, all his micro-expansions for Skyrim are fantastic in scope it's just there is only so much one person can do while fighting with the engine. They also have that style that made Shivering Isle so good when it came out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Does Enderal not count?

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I would never recommend for somebody new to Skyrim or modding in general to choose the Legendary version of the game over the Special Edition. My decision remain with it is largely due to the ridiculous number of small adjustments I've made to my own installation of the game (and the time involved in making those changes). The nature of the changes means it's not as simple as transferring everything over, either (for example, my personal ENB preset is not compatible). It's a delicate ecosystem, and I'd rather not disturb it without reason!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Ordinator in SSE is (imo) still the best experience - if you use magic.

SPERG is amazing but Ordinator is slightly better and more compatible for me so far. 1 crash in about 70 hours is insanely better than Legendary edition :)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Zore posted:

Old Skyrim: kitty friend. New Skyrim: sad.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Any recommendations for a player home that can handle 3+ followers? Preferably one that's not some gigantic castle with enormous hallways, but a moderate-sized house that still manages to deal with followers well?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gilg posted:

Any recommendations for a player home that can handle 3+ followers? Preferably one that's not some gigantic castle with enormous hallways, but a moderate-sized house that still manages to deal with followers well?

No houses deal with followers well, their AI sucks and they get stuck in random places.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

orange juche posted:

No houses deal with followers well, their AI sucks and they get stuck in random places.
It's not so much the AI that sucks in that case, but the navmesh. When the npc is walking face first into a closet it's because the AI is told by the navmesh the ground underneath is traversable.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Because they did navmeshes before the clutter step and then forgot to go back and tweak the navmeshes

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As an aside, how hard is it to incrementally bake navmeshes? I know they did it for Fallout 4, but did that require area loads or what?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What's needed is a Follower Pokeball mod, to get these idiots out of the way when you don't need them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's a mod that adds a summonable merchant, if you can believe it.

Here!

Ed: Because your Best Friend can sell things for you and also get in your way.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 18, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

What's needed is a Follower Pokeball mod, to get these idiots out of the way when you don't need them.

That was the thing I liked most about the RobCo Certified mod for New Vegas: There was a dedicated button for this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
God I miss Robco Certified. Automatron as a DLC was somehow more barebones than it.

Dwemer Certified in Skyrim also never really became a real thing which is a shame.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dwemer Certified totally exists?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Dwemer Certified totally exists?

Yeah but its like half finished and was discontinued before a lot of the Dwemer stuff added in the DLCs. And it has some serious bugs like Spheres running out of ammo etc.

Plus you never got to hit an appliance with a wrench and turn it into a robot abomination.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh man I forgot about those junkbots. I loved them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And it was super rad to have Cerulean Robotics as your manufacturing plant, and find Mister House's suit, and have a real army of Securitrons kicking rear end. The RP possibilities were great!

But all that stuff would be difficult to implement in Skyrim, I suppose. Including role-playing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
After reading the OP, I guess I'm running Legendary edition even though I'm on Windows 10. What sort of stuff do I need to worry about with the 4GB RAM limit (and only that, my computer can definitely crush Skyrim in general)? This is the first time I've played Skyrim in awhile so I was going to throw in a bunch of stuff like SPERG and maybe other magic mods, an ENB profile, Frostfall, and maybe just more stuff in general for diversity. Especially more enemies.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The only thing specific to Windows 10 is that the ENBoost workaround for the 4 GB limit doesn't work. This means that you'll run into problems the more stuff you try to make Skyrim load into memory. As I understand it, high-def graphics replacements are the biggest risk, but generally just adding more objects in the game world might also be an issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arivia posted:

After reading the OP, I guess I'm running Legendary edition even though I'm on Windows 10. What sort of stuff do I need to worry about with the 4GB RAM limit (and only that, my computer can definitely crush Skyrim in general)? This is the first time I've played Skyrim in awhile so I was going to throw in a bunch of stuff like SPERG and maybe other magic mods, an ENB profile, Frostfall, and maybe just more stuff in general for diversity. Especially more enemies.

You'll probably be fine. I ran more mods than I used on a janky Windows 10 laptop (that was only Windows 10 because of the free upgrade), and didn't have enough crashes to worry about it. Don't push it too much on graphical poo poo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Arivia posted:

First, unless there's a mod want that really needs SKSE, consider using Special Edition so you won't have to deal with this headache. Assuming that you are like me and thus immune to such common sense:

Your biggest memory eaters are going to be texture replacers, in my experience. In most cases, the performance versions of those replacers will look just (or just about) as pretty and will save you some RAM. Beyond that, think hard about whether you really NEED those 4K eyebrows or that high-res texture for that one step on the way up Mount Exposition. (That said, I've found that a performance installation of Noble Skyrim, the water replacer of your choice, and, optionally, DynDOLOD with medium settings hits a pretty good sweet spot between "looks nice" and "still runs").

It'll be a little clunky even though your hardware's amazing, because Skyrim's creaky old engine is what it is. That said, I rarely had major performance/framerate issues outside of animation-heavy areas (Markarth in particular always drops me down a few FPS).

Save a lot. Because you WILL crash and it WILL be at the worst possible moment.

(e. As above, mods that aren't graphical replacers probably aren't worth stressing over. Install what you want.)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Edit: Woops, nevermind. Misread something.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Agents are GO! posted:

SE is such an improvment in performance that I really wouldn't want to go back.

SE is more stable with 100+ mods than Oldrim was with just SPERG and the Unofficial Patches, at least for me. The only crashes I've had so far (which I mentioned ITT a few days ago) I discovered was because SSEEDIT had of its own accord disabled a few mods. Once I realized that and turned it on, it was fine.

There are some mods I'm hopeful will be updated in due time, but there's still a fuckload of content for SSE so if you're not a diehard fan of any specific Oldrim mods that haven't been updated, I'd really never recommend Oldrim anymore.