Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Aphrodite posted:

Someone in the old thread said they added dyeable Valerian Dragoon armor. Where can I get that? Is it just crafted?

Yeah just crafted, 62

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For PLDs, should you be using the new AOE damage move on small pulls (3 mobs or less) or is it exclusively for larger packs?

Pierson posted:

To those at 70 here's a yes/no for you: Do all dungeons rain loot like the Sirensong does? It took me a few minutes to realise that not only was every boss giving two pieces but all the treasure chests were also giving actual real loot, it fuckin' ruled.

Also can any RDMs show your hotbars? Having a little trouble finding a layout for mine that flows well between black/white/melee actions.

I'm at work so can't do a screenshot but I have it set up like this:

1 is jolt
2 is veraero, shift + 2 is verstone
3 is verthunder, shift + 3 is verfire
I'm only 60, but 4 will be impact and 5 + 6 will be verholy and verflare, respectively, when I get them. Although now that I'm writing it out, maybe shift + 1 makes more sense for impact (I currently have scatter in that spot).

So casting is a matter of pressing 1, then either 2 or 3, then shift + 2 or 3 if I get a proc. Otherwise, back to 1. White mana's on the left button, Black mana's on the right.

Then I have my melee combo set to:
Ctrl + 1 = corps-a-corps
Ctrl + 2-4 = the three hit melee combo
Ctrl + 5 = displacement

So when it's time to melee, I hold ctrl and just go down the line.

My other abilities are set to easily-reachable letters (I like Q for acceleration, since you use it so much) but you were just asking about casting and melee, so I'm only going into my setup for that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blattdorf posted:

Or they could have left Sustain and remove Physick, since the latter is pretty much useless.

And they still haven't fixed the Egi icons. How hard can it be?

Or they could have gotten rid of Tri Bind. Did you know that amidst all the culling they left Tri Bind alone?

Yeah they decided to cull Sustain instead of Tri Bind :psyduck:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

m.hache posted:

I find that half the time I can't get anything to connect even when I'm right on top of them. Usually only happens when they are running away though.

If they engage however it's amazing how fast you can light them up as SAM.

I've had a lot more success playing defense, stick with your healers or squishy mages and throw Enpis at people to build Kenki, and the second someone tries to engage, blow them the gently caress up. Works pretty well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ainsley McTree posted:

For PLDs, should you be using the new AOE damage move on small pulls (3 mobs or less) or is it exclusively for larger packs?

I'm at work so can't do a screenshot but I have it set up like this:

1 is jolt
2 is veraero, shift + 2 is verstone
3 is verthunder, shift + 3 is verfire
I'm only 60, but 4 will be impact and 5 + 6 will be verholy and verflare, respectively, when I get them. Although now that I'm writing it out, maybe shift + 1 makes more sense for impact (I currently have scatter in that spot).

So casting is a matter of pressing 1, then either 2 or 3, then shift + 2 or 3 if I get a proc. Otherwise, back to 1. White mana's on the left button, Black mana's on the right.

Then I have my melee combo set to:
Ctrl + 1 = corps-a-corps
Ctrl + 2-4 = the three hit melee combo
Ctrl + 5 = displacement

So when it's time to melee, I hold ctrl and just go down the line.

My other abilities are set to easily-reachable letters (I like Q for acceleration, since you use it so much) but you were just asking about casting and melee, so I'm only going into my setup for that.

Until you get holy spirit, its ok to sword spin on 3 packs. Once you get holy spirit, anything less than 4 you wanna holy spirit as much as possible.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

Not sure if anyone responded to this, but you're supposed to be told to hit Elusive Jump by <spoiler>, but he is mistranslated into English. When Enervation hits you, Elusive Jump to the small dragon.

Thank you! That worked immediately.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I made 3 hotbars for my normal skills, hotbar 1 is 1-=, hotbar 2 is ctrl modifier 1-=, and hotbar 3 is shift modifier, so I rebound shift from the weird hotbar switching stuff it defaults to.

I like having all my most-used stuff between 1 and 6 so I have aero/thunder as 3 and 4, stone/fire as ctrl-3 and 4, and holy/flare as shift 3 and 4. This puts them right above the wasd keys and gives me room for 1 and 2 to be used for other abilities that are sorta paired up

1 and 2 are for jolt and impact, ctrl 1 and 2 are for scatter and molineux(?), and shift 1 and 2 are the 2 ogcd attacks used every now and then.

Other stuff is filled in around 5-7 and their respective ctrl and shift spots, stuff on 7 is rarely used or very long cooldowns like verraise and that party damage buff move

The melee combo, I put corps on 8 then the combo after it, ending with displacement on =, reason for that is once I start melee combo I will always finish it, so it's OK to move my hand over to the right side of the keyboard.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 19, 2017

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
So where's good to read theorycrafting?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wonder how many folks on the writing team are fans of the Suikoden series, because the Stormblood storyline is basically a Suikoden game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I wonder how many folks on the writing team are fans of the Suikoden series, because the Stormblood storyline is basically a Suikoden game.

Which one? None of my friends better be Jowy.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Aphrodite posted:

Which one? None of my friends better be Jowy.

Based on my Ruby Sea experience, unfortunately it's 4, as you spend hours swimming around and then realize you can sprint in the water, too.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

motoh posted:

https://discord.gg/nCczZ

Heres an instant invite to the red mage of eorzea discord, it'll disappear after 24 hrs. It seems to be the prime source of a lot of job info that's been released on reddit and home to the people who worked on the RDM simulator that was active before SB hit. There's tons of non-rdm theorycrafting. Some aggravating reddit stuff but you cant really avoid that outside of SA. Easy enough to block the egregiously bad eggs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or they could have gotten rid of Tri Bind. Did you know that amidst all the culling they left Tri Bind alone?

Tri bind is the SMN's only spammable AoE. :smithicide:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

DPSing as a Scholar feels hollow now. Not having Sustain on Arcanist in general is perplexing. The way aethertrail blocks aetherflow is frustrating.

I'm not really digging what happened to my class I guess.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

unseenlibrarian posted:

Based on my Ruby Sea experience, unfortunately it's 4, as you spend hours swimming around and then realize you can sprint in the water, too.

Mch and Brd can apply nüswiftsong to swimming, but you can't use it when you're already in the water :mad:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

motoh posted:

Discord, sadly. FFXIV has no central hub for information like that, no real Icy Veins analogue. Meaning if you want that sort of information you have to basically go treasure hunting through various discord pinned Google docs or know someone who knows already.

I've also had decent success asking in reddit's daily questions thread whenever I needed a link to a specific thing, such as where to find info on ACT or job discord links, so I recommend that if you need to find a specific thing.

Lord knows WHY it's so disorganized - FFXIV certainly has the size and popularity to justify a centralized resource - but you just sorta have to deal with it until someone with lots of time, game knowledge, and money to pay server fees steps up and consolidates it all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

unseenlibrarian posted:

My character is named after 2 Suikoden people and neither of them are in 4.

This is bullshit Square.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Zenos does have kind of a Luca Blight thing going on I suppose.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Yeah, that's right! The skill is so useless that I forgot they even left it there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is MCHs peloton animation the same flute thing that BRD has? Pretty hilarious if so

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

He doesn't giggle enough.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

motoh posted:

The balance discord, I don't have a link handy but I'm sure you can find it on google.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is MCHs peloton animation the same flute thing that BRD has? Pretty hilarious if so

No, Machinists just sort of flex or something. No flute, 2/10 worst expansion ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I've never really raided before and don't really know about the intricate details of each and every job regarding what they bring to the raid and so on, I just know I really, really love playing RDM so far. However, a friend of mine (admittedly one of those who cares about world firsts and about the miniscule changes in dps etc) told me that I am better off playing another DPS job because Red Mage will offer absolutely nothing to the table except for mediocre damage, damage that can already be outperformed by black mages and so on :(

I rarely care about the choice of class / job and so and just choose whatever I think is the most fun, but I also want to experience raiding properly in this game, perhaps even try out the most difficult tiers. Does what he say have any merit whatsoever? Should I choose another job?

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Numbers frequently change. Mechanics rarely do. If you enjoy a job but it isn't super top tier, keep playing it. It'll be stronger and weaker as time goes on and patches rebalance things, but the play style you enjoy will be relatively constant outside of big expansion patches. Don't choose your job based on how effective it is in the moment.

2. Red Mages have some of the best potential to prevent a raid wipe. You can get an instant Verraise with Dualcast and no other job can instant Raise more than once per minute (using Swiftcast). It'll eat up your MP, but if, say, both healers go down, you can have them both back up in seconds: cast Vercure on yourself to get Dualcast, then cast Verraise, then Swiftcast, then Verraise again and you're a hero. You also have the best healing available to a DPS job by a long shot. Vercure scales with your main stat, INT, and you can Dualcast it, meaning that while those healers are stuck in the raise animation, you can spam Vercure on the tank and help keep them alive. You definitely can't actually fill in for a healer, but you'll make much more of an impact than, say, a Summoner casting Physick. If everything is going well that's not too exciting, but if it isn't, Red Mage has an amazing toolkit for saving the day.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 19, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's a lot more restrained than Luca of course, but he's got the whole "unstoppable beast of a man, and also crown prince of the bad guys" thing going on. I really hope the final battle against him is as epic as the one against Luca.

Although Garlemald is a lot more like Harmonia than Highland I guess.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Leofish posted:

No, Machinists just sort of flex or something. No flute, 2/10 worst expansion ever.

Lame. They could have at least made you fire your gun into the air like yosemite sam or something.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Lame. They could have at least made you fire your gun into the air like yosemite sam or something.

They have a pvp action that sends up a little flare thing that would be good.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It really pleases me that Red Mage's heal isn't complete garbage.

Their solo potential is huge, which I guess isn't that big of a deal unless you're leveling.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

My character is named after 2 Suikoden people and neither of them are in 4.

the jaws of the trap begin to close as SV comes one step closer to figuring out Aphrodite's name in another MMO

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

He's a lot more restrained than Luca of course, but he's got the whole "unstoppable beast of a man, and also crown prince of the bad guys" thing going on. I really hope the final battle against him is as epic as the one against Luca.

Although Garlemald is a lot more like Harmonia than Highland I guess.

They also both have no real overriding ideology and are just in it to gently caress poo poo up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

the jaws of the trap begin to close as SV comes one step closer to figuring out Aphrodite's name in another MMO

Oh you'll never find me, I'm not on the ERP server.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

nuru posted:

DPSing as a Scholar feels hollow now. Not having Sustain on Arcanist in general is perplexing. The way aethertrail blocks aetherflow is frustrating.

I'm not really digging what happened to my class I guess.

I haven't tried it yet it SB but I was disappointed about the shift away from placing tons of DOTs on everything. I don't care if it took up a lot of buttons, I still liked loading up all the enemies up with like 5 different sources of ticking damage and then tell myself yeah that's a lot of dots.

Also I'm worried that making Lucid Dreaming (refresh) a role action is going to create balance issues in the future, since SCH originally had a different MP flow with aetherflow and energy drain, and now they have to balance that against having the same refresh as WHM and AST

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh you'll never find me, I'm not on the ERP server.
lmao

goddamn you're even meaner in this thread than you were in the last one

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Renegret posted:

It really pleases me that Red Mage's heal isn't complete garbage.

Their solo potential is huge, which I guess isn't that big of a deal unless you're leveling.

That and the ability to combat rez also makes them extremely good for solo queuing in duty roulettes. No more wiping because your healer stood in fire, the best class is here to save the day.

Palace of the dead grinding is also a lot less painless than it could be with 4 dps. I love it when a landmine hits the party and you suddenly hear the noise of four vercures powering up at once. It also makes it a lot easier to survive bad luring traps when you don't have a witching pomander on hand.

My only complaint about RDM is that I keep forgetting it's a DoM and can't wear DoW gear. I reeeeally want to wear the infantry shirt, but I can't, and that's a crime. Also Amon's outfit

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Renegret posted:

I don't see this answered, you now have a new skill that just throws your current card away. You can't dump royal road buffs anymore but I've never wanted to do that anyway.

But yeah it's annoying that you can't see what other ASTs are holding. On the plus side, now nobody can see that I spread a balance card and forgot about it.

It's me. I know what you're holding because I've seen the animation so much.

But really, it's annoying. If you've never changed your mind about a royal road effect or accidentally held a card you didn't want to, power to you. But it's only going to get worse at 70 with the sleeve pull or whatever. I haven't gotten there yet, but I guess I'll never use it if it overwrites what I already have, and I guess I'll only use it if I have something already held otherwise. I can think of few annoyances bigger in AST play than using it and getting an aoe spire stuck in my hands.

The biggest thing is I don't know if this was a deliberate nerf or just an oversight.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jumping feels a bit too inconsistent to demand such precision platforming, but learning the overall quirks and careful aiming got this view and a sightseeing log.
(You generally want to angle for the outer edges of the posts rather than their bodies, particularly on the very last post to the top because the roof's hitbox will happily block your attempt.)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ainsley McTree posted:

That and the ability to combat rez also makes them extremely good for solo queuing in duty roulettes. No more wiping because your healer stood in fire, the best class is here to save the day.

Palace of the dead grinding is also a lot less painless than it could be with 4 dps. I love it when a landmine hits the party and you suddenly hear the noise of four vercures powering up at once. It also makes it a lot easier to survive bad luring traps when you don't have a witching pomander on hand.

My only complaint about RDM is that I keep forgetting it's a DoM and can't wear DoW gear. I reeeeally want to wear the infantry shirt, but I can't, and that's a crime. Also Amon's outfit

I was in a 4 RDM party in POTD and we had an exploding booby trap next to a booby trapped silver chest that up and went two of us instantly.

There was about a 30 seconds of motionless silence that was obviously the two survivors flipping through their skill book looking for raise, and slowly realizing that it's a post 60 skill and they didn't have it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ruta posted:

It's me. I know what you're holding because I've seen the animation so much.

But really, it's annoying. If you've never changed your mind about a royal road effect or accidentally held a card you didn't want to, power to you. But it's only going to get worse at 70 with the sleeve pull or whatever. I haven't gotten there yet, but I guess I'll never use it if it overwrites what I already have, and I guess I'll only use it if I have something already held otherwise. I can think of few annoyances bigger in AST play than using it and getting an aoe spire stuck in my hands.

The biggest thing is I don't know if this was a deliberate nerf or just an oversight.

Sleeve Draw doesn't overwrite any filled card slots, so you don't need to worry about that one. I miss being able to discard a Royal Road effect, because it does help sometimes.

Minor Arcanum draw is super good when you're pulling extra spires and poo poo. It's either a free heal or nuke, so just throw that garbage card away and use whatever card you draw.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Average potency per combo :

Halone : 213
Goring : 357
Royal Authority : 253

So at 3 mobs, total eclipse does 330 potency. Worth it over doing the combos, unless you're sure goring will get its full duration.

Holy spirit is 430 potency, so when you get that it's better for packs smaller than 4 (as long as you have the mana).

In general in this game, AOE is always worth is at 3 mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I made a terrible mistake and bought a keyboard that I use at work because I'm cheap and also I like it but I found out that it's really not good for playing games on (it is too small, basically), does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive keyboards?

Though I may also look into one of those G13 gamepads, those look neat.