Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
whoa I enhanced the contrast on this scene and found this

http://i.imgur.com/vLNB9ou.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Kurtofan posted:

the music during that scene was spooky, made me feel like something was wrong.
There was definitely another song/sound playing over it toward the end.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Xinder posted:

Cheese comes from milk.

Can anyone explain this? I know the reference but not the meaning.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

eSporks posted:

Cheese comes from milk.

Also, that last episode was almost as nasty as the original cut of Green Onions itself. loving amazing episode. Legendary episode.

Probably the best episode of Twin Peaks since "Zen, or The Skill to Catch a Killer". At the very least it's the best episode of the revival.

Too many great moments to even begin to enumerate. I don't even care if Cooper wakes up or not at this point, because I'd rather just have Albert and Gordon anyway. This is so special, getting to watch all of this for the first time. :)

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 20, 2017

Lanz
May 30, 2013

eSporks posted:

For Oscar season when Inland Empire came out, Lynch's campaign to nominate Laura Dern was to camp out at an intersection in LA with a giant "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: LAURA DERN FOR BEST ACTRESS, INLAND EMPIRE" banner and, to everyone's confusion, a cow (and the cow's owner, I think). As well as a banner that said something like "Without Cheese there wouldn't be an Inland Empire."

Then, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut6zdE8qWj0

When asked what was with the cow and the other banner, Lynch's explanation was simply "Cheese comes from Milk."

It's generally taken as a bizarre, Lynchian non-sequitur, but is perhaps explained by the fact that the actual region of California known as the "Inland Empire" came to be thanks to its agriculture industry, particularly dairy products.

From Wiki:

quote:

The arrival of rail and the importation of navel and Valencia orange trees in the 1870s touched off explosive growth, with the area quickly becoming a major center for citrus production.[8][9][10] This agricultural boom continued with the arrival of water from the Colorado River and the rapid growth of Los Angeles in the early twentieth century, with dairy farming becoming another staple industry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"What the gently caress is David Lynch doing?" is a question I am sure has been asked many times and will be asked many times to come :allears:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kaworu posted:

Probably the best episode of Twin Peaks since "Zen, or The Skill to Catch a Killer". At the very least it's the best episode of the revival.

those are some very strong words, pal.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

regulargonzalez posted:

Just lol if you think a legit human Naomi Watts would have a name like Janey-e and, despite being intelligent and strong willed and basically capable of anything would marry a schlub like Dougie Jones who apparently even in his normal routine is so weird that his current behavior doesn't set off any alarms.

Like, what was their courtship like? Why did she, of her own free will, fall for this scrub? That's not what a strong, well written female role would do, it's what a niceguy's idealized woman does.

You seem confused about what you're trying to say; is the problem with Janey that she's unrealistic, or that she's not some sort of strong female trope?

Attractive, intelligent, strong-willed people date, sleep with, and marry schlubs and weirdos all the time. People 20 years older or younger than them, addicts, people who make them feel better about themselves or alternately who aren't impressed by them. Love and attraction is loving weird, and people aren't always looking for themselves in a partner.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

wizard on a water slide posted:

You seem confused about what you're trying to say; is the problem with Janey that she's unrealistic, or that she's not some sort of strong female trope?

Attractive, intelligent, strong-willed people date, sleep with, and marry schlubs and weirdos all the time. People 20 years older or younger than them, addicts, people who make them feel better about themselves or alternately who aren't impressed by them. Love and attraction is loving weird, and people aren't always looking for themselves in a partner.

i do love the irony in the post ending with "its what a niceguy's idealized woman does" and the thrust of their argument is that janey e isn't perfect or idealized enough

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Episode should've ended with Janey E riding Dougie like a loving champ for saving her from certain death.

The diner scene was fine too I guess.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
if you go on the twin peaks facebook groups you can find fun 300+ post arguments about whether or not janey e should canonically be bisexual so that the op can masturbate to her in a more faithful and accurate way, and why that's actually an essential conversation on lgbtq representation and not just the op jerking off, and people having similar huge convos about What If Michael J. Anderson's Accusations Are True and How Problematic that would be

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
this is probably the sanest and most together thread about the new season of twin peaks on the internet, kaworu and the dumb trolls making fun of him included.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

whoa I enhanced the contrast on this scene and found this

http://i.imgur.com/vLNB9ou.gifv

Wow. Even in low contrast he keeps details like proper aspect ratio.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Under the vegetable posted:

this is probably the sanest and most together thread about the new season of twin peaks on the internet
I'm kind of fond of the various Twin Peaks threads that scatter all the SA forums. They each have something entirely different to offer, but they all agree James is the worst.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I really want a desk with a lever-action monitor built into it now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caligulamprey posted:

I'm kind of fond of the various Twin Peaks threads that scatter all the SA forums. They each have something entirely different to offer, but they all agree James is the worst.
A thing David Lynch is absolutely wrong about : James has not always been cool.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is James actually gonna be character in this season, or did he just drop in for a cameo?

(Hopefully the latter)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A thing David Lynch is absolutely wrong about : James has not always been cool.

that had to have been a tongue-in-cheek scene, right?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

This has been retconned, along with the location of Deer Meadow. Deer Meadow has always been next to twin peaks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cromulent posted:

There was definitely another song/sound playing over it toward the end.

Sounded like standard ominous Badalamenti stuff towards the end. Just maintaining Twin Peaks' theme of dark poo poo lying just beneath the surface of something wholesome.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Was that first group of men hired to kill "Dougie" told to wait until after 2:53? Can't remember if that was made clear or not.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lycus posted:

Is James actually gonna be character in this season, or did he just drop in for a cameo?

(Hopefully the latter)

There are so many plates spinning already that I can't really see there being many more major characters. That said it's Lynch so bets are off, and the back half reveals the true final confrontation between James/Wally biker team up against the true final boss, shuffling coal man

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

the thing about gordon tying it to his phrase of greeting specifically and it being ten words with symbolic values associated with each finger and then the backwards word was associated with the spiritual finger was the loving poo poo and gordon is the most occult dude

I didn't get any of this by the way, can somebody explain what was going on with the fingers thing?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

I didn't get any of this by the way, can somebody explain what was going on with the fingers thing?

When BadCoop greeted Gordon Cole, he said the word "very" backwards-- the word that coincided with his one backwards fingerprint. Cole says that finger is the "spiritual mound", so basically it's one more clue for them that he's got some bad news black lodge bullshit in his soul.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Gordon needed a convoluted symbological occult system based on the spiritual meaning of the fingers(???) which he arbitrarily assigned to one obscure moment in his conversation with Booper, in order to conclude that hey, maybe something weird is going on with obviously weird Booper

And it owns

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

lovin' this show, and I hope it goes on to inspire regular TV like the original series did

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know - I honestly never knew that the Warren Frost who p[layed Doc Hayward was Mark Frost's father! Well, actually I think I may have read about it at SOME point, but it didn't stick. That is really so cool.

It's pretty cool that this episode coincided to fall on Father's Day, and was dedicated to Mark Frost's father - whom he apparently got to work with again as father/son one last time on filming that great Skype cameo.

Keep workin' the sunny side of the river, Doc :unsmith:

On another note, seeing people like Catherine Coulson and Warren Frost doing scenes like these when they are literally at death's door just makes it even weirder that Michael Ontkean apparently didn't come back. I mean, apparently there are health reasons, but he couldn't have sat down in front of a webcam and filmed some conversation scenes with Forster, even? Just for old times' sake? And then the things people have to say about his absence are really odd.

To me, that's still the one and only thing that occasionally takes me out of the reality of the show, is when Harry Truman is acknowledged.

On a slightly random note, it was pointed out to me that there seemed to be a strong theme of brothers in this last episode. We opened with a scene between the original Brotherly Duo of Twin Peaks - Benjamin and Jerry Horne. We have what seems to be a very sad conversation between the Truman brothers following this. Then, if you'll notice, there are multiple law enforcement characters credited with the last name "Fusco" - like 2 or 3 of them! Unless I am mistaken they are the two main cops who question Dougie Janey-E. So, more brothers.

Then we get the scene near the close with Jean-Michel Renault, who perhaps may not have forgotten about all the Renault brethren of his (I presume) who died back 25 years ago. Or Lynch may never revisit it again. But still, another instance of brothers. Soooo many brothers. I miss any?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its a stretch, but ike and the arm

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sounded like standard ominous Badalamenti stuff towards the end. Just maintaining Twin Peaks' theme of dark poo poo lying just beneath the surface of something wholesome.

Speaking of which, was this episode the first time they played Laura Palmer's theme aside from that scene where Bobby sees her picture? It really caught my ear because they used it all the time in the old series during the ominous sweeping shots of the town and the woods and this is the first time I remember it being used in that way in the new series.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Star Platinum posted:

Speaking of which, was this episode the first time they played Laura Palmer's theme aside from that scene where Bobby sees her picture? It really caught my ear because they used it all the time in the old series during the ominous sweeping shots of the town and the woods and this is the first time I remember it being used in that way in the new series.

It was also playing while Andy was waiting for that one dude to show up. This episode has definitely had a spike in Badalamenti soundtrack, or even soundtrack in general.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

regulargonzalez posted:

Really feels like Janey-e has some lodge superpowers as well. She can force anyone to bend to her will. Those extortionists should have laughed at her. The answers she gave the cops were flimsy and absurd. She even got Dougie's boss to say "k, we'll do it later".

Or maybe she's just naturally some kind of force of nature. Either way, :swoon: Naomi Watts :swoon: is killing it.

She's a mom.

My mom had moments like that, she would grab her purse and march right in, give everyone a what for* which resulted in people being agreeable (I've had a few mom moments like that myself). Of course, my mom wasn't dealing with cops and robbers, but Janey-e is in Lynch Land. I agree with you tho, I absofuckinglutely love Naomi Watts.

*not to be confused with "I'd like to speak with your manager" types

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

Let me just say there's no loving way David Lynch (or Mark Frost) listens to Phish.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Can anyone itt scrounge up a screenshot of the dark/ashy ghost thing from episode 7? Presumably, the same one you see in the prison cell in episode 1 (or was it 2?...)?

I kind of have a feeling that this ghost will play a big role in whatever's happening. I don't think it's a BOB like creature because BOB couldn't hide his evil... he sneered and growled constantly. Even Bad Coop can't hide BOB's evil.

Whereas, this dude doesn't seem evil. He seems traumatized, terrified, or both. I think he's seen some poo poo! I doubt his role is to possess somebody and turn then evil like BOB... rather, I'd expect this guy to deliver some sort of warning or insight into something evil.

edit: ah poo poo, didn't see the discussion about how this might "the woodsman" from fwwm. who knows!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 20, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

kaworu posted:

On another note, seeing people like Catherine Coulson and Warren Frost doing scenes like these when they are literally at death's door just makes it even weirder that Michael Ontkean apparently didn't come back. I mean, apparently there are health reasons, but he couldn't have sat down in front of a webcam and filmed some conversation scenes with Forster, even? Just for old times' sake? And then the things people have to say about his absence are really odd.

To me, that's still the one and only thing that occasionally takes me out of the reality of the show, is when Harry Truman is acknowledged.

I agree that at this point, the constant Harry references (and not just references, but seeing characters or at least one character, interact with him) take me out of the show. I would imagine they're building up to something and it is entirely possible he has been re-cast.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Polo-Rican posted:

Can anyone itt scrounge up a screenshot of the dark/ashy ghost thing from episode 7? Presumably, the same one you see in the prison cell in episode 1 (or was it 2?...)?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Sorry to bust your bubble.

They are vocal fans of the guy, doesn't mean he listens to them, let alone him going to over 300 shows.

He also directed commercials for Playstation, doesn't mean he's ever played one.

edit: Show me a video interview with Lynch saying something like "I love the band, Phish, been to a lot of shows. Love the noodling! Stash is my jam." or something, and I'll concede.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 20, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's not the same character at all, but the look on his face just reminds me of Jerry at the start of this episode wailing,"....I THINK I'M HIGH!" to Richard over the phone :xd:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Franchescanado posted:

They are vocal fans of the guy, doesn't mean he listens to them, let alone him going to over 300 shows.

He also directed commercials for Playstation, doesn't mean he's ever played one.

edit: Show me a video interview with Lynch saying something like "I love the band, Phish, been to a lot of shows. Love the noodling! Stash is my jam." or something, and I'll concede.

You're being had. That Lynch is way too small.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

It looked like a bad 'shop, but Anastasio is pretty tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

And More posted:

Oh cool, it's like the Bigger Luke Theory.