Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Definitely do not do this on Skylake or Kaby Lake, Intel moved to a new substrate that is thinner and weaker (thinner substrate = shorter vias with less parasitic inductance = higher clocks).

Or really any package. It was never meant for hanging 15 pounds of case from, and you will run a pretty good risk of snapping the package or just ripping the socket right off the board.

But yeah, don't worry about just the force of a CPU cooler sitting there during normal usage, that's totally fine.

Yeah I cringe when I see enthusiast YouTubers doing it. Or Linus doing anything really :v:

I don't think anything will top Paul's Hardware's three part series of what to do with a new computer after it boots. Parts 2 and 3 both opened with "So I told you to install Windows wrong last time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Hm... I guess maybe I'm the thread idiot for the day, but I don't really understand how picking a motherboard and CPU up by the heatsink is a problem if the heatsink bolts securely through the board to a backplate.

A lot of these heatsinks weigh as much as the boards they attach to and are hanging off of one side all day, so how is it causing more trauma to the board if it's flat on a table or in a case on its side and gets picked up gently by that same connection?

Clearly picking up the whole machine including the case, PSU etc. like that would be idiotic but that's not what we're talking about right?

e: Thinking more about it, the motherboard is screwed in when vertical which is a serious difference. Still, is the weight of the board itself enough to be of concern here if you have a backplate and aren't banging things around? It can support its own weight and not crack in half if you pick it up by one edge, so why is being picked up by the center-mounted heatsink an issue?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

Hm... I guess maybe I'm the thread idiot for the day, but I don't really understand how picking a motherboard and CPU up by the heatsink is a problem if the heatsink bolts securely through the board to a backplate.

A lot of these heatsinks weigh as much as the boards they attach to and are hanging off of one side all day, so how is it causing more trauma to the board if it's flat on a table or in a case on its side and gets picked up gently by that same connection?

Clearly picking up the whole machine including the case, PSU etc. like that would be idiotic but that's not what we're talking about right?

e: Thinking more about it, the motherboard is screwed in when vertical which is a serious difference. Still, is the weight of the board itself enough to be of concern here if you have a backplate and aren't banging things around? It can support its own weight and not crack in half if you pick it up by one edge, so why is being picked up by the center-mounted heatsink an issue?

Unless the weight happens to be exactly balanced on the CPU cooler, you are going to be applying a pretty substantial amount of torque onto one corner of the die and/or corner of the socket. Especially with the cooler in a horizontal orientation (board vertical), but really either way. And if you are doing it with the rest of the case attached then this is insane.

Why do it in the first place? Are you really that lazy that you can't pick the board up by the corners like the relatively delicate piece of electronics it is?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Again, agreed that picking the motherboard up by the cooler with the case/etc. attached is obviously stupid. I mean doing it with everything but the cooler/CPU removed and the cooler vertically oriented, so that the motherboard is flat.

I didn't see it as some kind of lazy shortcut though, on the specific motherboard I'm remembering doing this with all of the mass is clustered around the socket anyway and the socket itself is centered pretty well horizontally on the board so I didn't think pressure would be that uneven. With the cooler and plate on the other side forming a rigid cage around the socket, I figured the torque would be on the cooler screws and I would be OK as long as I didn't swing the board around or whack it on anything. I was OK, but maybe I was just lucky.

Anyway, I didn't mean to say this is the recommended way to do things - just wondered if I was missing something.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 20, 2017

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
It 9/10 times maybe won't hurt it.

Regardless it's not something you should do with any part of the PC hence why thread says don't do it.

Case closed.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

WarpZealot posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4NChwV
Paul MaudDib's suggestions with my preferences. Worse video card and SSD for a better mobo and cooler. Mobo may be overkill for your needs, but it comes with wireless so you can ditch the wireless card. You can save 70$ by keeping your Z270-K mobo with wireless card. If you don't want to OC, you can change the beefy D15S to a U14S (expensive but quiet), an H7 (middle of the road), or an EVO212 (widely used and cheap).

Do capture cards like https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-superior-technology-hardware-encoding/dp/B014MQIVPS/ actually help with streaming, or would I be better off upgrading my 3570K to a 7700K (with GTX1070)? What If I wanted to watch a 1080p 60hz stream while streaming and playing Battlefield 1? Would a Ryzen be better in that case? For now I'm happy with my 3570K. I plan to upgrade to a 10nm chip next year since the new 7740X doesn't look like that big of an upgrade, but if getting more cores will let me do dumb stuff like watch multiple streams while playing graphics intensive games, I'll consider a Ryzen.

Aren't the GAMING brand boards usually loaded with a lovely bluescreening ethernet controller or am I out of date with that one

the Killer one

edit: never mind, I see it's now recommended in the OP so presumably it is now fine or I misremembered.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 20, 2017

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks for the tips. I take it the different version of the card makes minimal difference?

[edit] I am also increasingly aware that I have another thing to hate cryptocurrency for.

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 20, 2017

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Wow, I was about to post and pull the trigger on a new build I'd been considering and find out that 1070s are up almost $100 from when I first priced it. :( Maybe I'll wait for 370 chipsets etc after all, this sucks.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

NLJP posted:

Aren't the GAMING brand boards usually loaded with a lovely bluescreening ethernet controller or am I out of date with that one

the Killer one

edit: never mind, I see it's now recommended in the OP so presumably it is now fine or I misremembered.

The OP says NOT to get the lovely Killer stuff and I can vouch for it as I finally moved away from my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and it's horrible bandwidth gimping Killer ethernet garbage.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not really. Sandy Bridge was an abnormally good OC'er, it wasn't until Kaby Lake that Intel managed to surpass it. Most of the processors in between didn't OC as well as Sandy and many of them had fairly terrible TIM that required delidding to get anywhere near peak performance.

Kaby is really kind of unique in that a random chip stands a good chance of hitting at least 5.0 GHz on air. Even Sandy Bridge couldn't do that, 5.0 took a real good chip and some serious cooling.

(at least KBL can do it until the TIM migrates and you start overheating, then it's back to delidding)

I'm not sure what "Not really" applies to here, unless we're describing the same thing in two different ways. Sandy was a phenomenal overclocker, and apparently Kaby is too. In between, meh. "meh" was what I was trying to convey - a solid sandy overclock looked really good compared to every chip before KBL.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

trinary posted:

Wow, I was about to post and pull the trigger on a new build I'd been considering and find out that 1070s are up almost $100 from when I first priced it. :( Maybe I'll wait for 370 chipsets etc after all, this sucks.

Not sure this is going to get better any time soon, unfortunately.

nerox
May 20, 2001

nerox posted:

My computer at my office is getting a bit long in the tooth, so its time to upgrade my home computer and take my old one to the office. I am going with a Ryzen build, but I want you guys to take a look see to see if there are any glaring problems I missed out on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($340.80 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.89 @ Amazon)
Other: SanDisk Cruzer Glide CZ60 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ60-008G-B35 ($6.29 @ Amazon)
Total: $1083.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-14 20:59 EDT-0400

I already have a 1070, so I know my list is missing a video card. I assume I can still buy a windows 7 key from that guy in SA-Mart and install Windows 10 for cheap.

My goal is to Overclock to 3.9ghz or 4.0 ghz.

After going back and forth between motherboards and getting a 1700 vs. 1700x, Amazon had the 1700x yesterday for $314. So I pulled the trigger and got this coming to me in the mail:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($367.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($95.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($145.20 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($155.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: SanDisk Cruzer Glide CZ60 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ60-008G-B35 ($6.66 @ Amazon)
Total: $1013.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-20 08:43 EDT-0400

Amazon has already sold out of the 1700x again. :v:

I already have the 1070 and I got a windows 7 pro key for $10 off SA-Mart the other day.

nerox fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 20, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there any cheap upgrade path for mobo+cpu for my setup?

My only option is to OC my i5-760 or buy a Xeon, but overclocking a Lynnfield is a mess, and I don't think a Xeon will provide much more than more overclocking headroom.

I want to wait for Cannon Lake or Ryzen 2.0, but my current CPU is such a massive bottleneck right now that I want something temporary that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You could upgrade to Haswell and keep the same RAM, but at that point I'd say get Kaby Lake and upgrade the RAM too instead of buying two and a half generations old.

I overclocked a Lynnfield Xeon to ~4.0 and an i3-530 a bit higher a couple months back so maybe I could give some tips, but I missed your post in the OC thread. I'll reply there about overclocking.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Hi thread. It's been 4 years since my last build, so I'm looking to upgrade. That build is here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DV8GgL

My CPU is overclocked to 4.1 GHz and the GPUs are OC'ed as well, I want to say about 1200 MHz but I don't recall offhand.

Relevant use details:
- I have triple 1080 144Hz monitors, I don't currently have plans to go to 4k but it's not impossible I guess.
- I tend to play a lot of CPU / memory heavy sim games.
- The big one and the reason I want to upgrade since the first 2 are still pretty well covered, I want this to have good VR performance. I have a DK2 and it's acceptable on early gen stuff, but I assume later gen stuff it's just not cut out for. Planning on getting a Vive for room scale.

Budget: I was (and still am) considering a full rebuild if necessary (apart from storage, case etc.) so $1500 ish if so. (Excluding the Vive.) But I'm thinking it's possible I could get a huge jump for a lot less than that. I plan on reselling what I can to offset the cost, not included in that $1500.

I don't keep up with the state of the market until I'm ready to upgrade myself, so I'm still doing research, but so far I have the following ideas:
- Ditch the 770 SLI, get one 1080 Ti, unless bottlenecked, so...
- Do I upgrade the mobo / CPU?

From what I can tell, DDR3 vs 4 at the same clock speed has a negligible performance difference and roughly the same cost. So I could swap out my memory for higher speed DDR3 and not really lose out on anything. But is it cost effective to upgrade my CPU (and therefore motherboard) to a 7000 series? (In which case I would go to DDR4 while I'm at it.) I'm really unsure about this, from what I can tell the performance gains are pretty incremental vs what's probably a minimum of $500 for mobo + CPU.

Please, correct me if I'm mistaken on anything or if there's something else I should consider.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 20, 2017

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unless the weight happens to be exactly balanced on the CPU cooler, you are going to be applying a pretty substantial amount of torque onto one corner of the die and/or corner of the socket. Especially with the cooler in a horizontal orientation (board vertical), but really either way. And if you are doing it with the rest of the case attached then this is insane.

Why do it in the first place? Are you really that lazy that you can't pick the board up by the corners like the relatively delicate piece of electronics it is?

I think this scenario most likely comes up when you've tested the system on the motherboard box and want to install it in the case. With a cramped case it can be easier to hold the system from the heatsink. In the worst situation when the case is vertical, for example if I don't to remove the case from my under table computer hanger, I too would find it more convenient to hold the system by the heatsink.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I need a santiy check before I pull (Im in Canada) : https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BcJKD8

My i5-2500K gave up the ghost last night and my p-67A motherboard is slowly dying as well. I am able to use the following for this build:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC GAMING
2 Hard Drives
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply

I have a $1000 [purchasing allowance for a new pc at my work.

I mostly am using it for Gaming at 1080p with the highest graphics I can get. I am also looking to some overclocking and using the AM4 platform for future upgrades on the CPU.

Is the Gigabyte board I have picked fine for what I am looking to do? I know Gigabyte hasn't had the most stellar rep in the last few years but the reviews are good on this and they have been keeping the BIOS updates regularly.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I built my current PC back in 2012, so I've decided that it's about time to build a new one. Tell me what to do thread...

Currently using:
  • CPU: i5-3570K @ 3.4ghz (OC'd to 3.8ghz I think)
  • Video: Raedon HD 7950 3GB
  • Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (2x 4GB)
  • Case: Corsair Carbide 200R ATX case

I've got a nice 1440p monitor already and I'd like to be able to run new games at a decent quality/frame rate, so I'm assuming it's time to start from scratch? Or is this a situation where I should just get a new video card + RAM and the CPU/mobo is usable?

Also, unless there has been some revolutionary advances in case design, I guess I can reuse that case and throw the current parts into an even older case and use that PC as a server or whatever else...

Anyway, I'm going to buy something in the next month or two, unless there's a highly compelling reason to wait beyond that for some new poo poo that's around the corner. Okay with spending around $1K give or take. What do I buy?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You could make do with just getting a 1070 or a 1080, the former is kind of hard to get right now due to cryptocurrency mining so the 1080 is probably a better deal. Upgrading to 16GB RAM wouldn't be a bad idea either. You could also probably OC the 3570K higher than 3.8GHz.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 21, 2017

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I need a new gfx card, SF5, Tekken 7, and the newest AssCreed are all barely running at lowest settings, although literally everything else seems to run fine. Here's what I'm running now http://speccy.piriform.com/results/p5n4Udm2FWNA7N4Uo1PPZcR (HD Radeon 6670) and I'd love to spend under $200... what's my best option?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Quad posted:

I need a new gfx card, SF5, Tekken 7, and the newest AssCreed are all barely running at lowest settings, although literally everything else seems to run fine. Here's what I'm running now http://speccy.piriform.com/results/p5n4Udm2FWNA7N4Uo1PPZcR (HD Radeon 6670) and I'd love to spend under $200... what's my best option?

2nd hand 970? Or a cheapish 1060 if you can find one that a bitcoin miner hasnt tapped yet.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Quad posted:

Overclock that processor and look at a 1060 or RX580.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BCRock posted:

I built my current PC back in 2012, so I've decided that it's about time to build a new one. Tell me what to do thread...

Currently using:

I've got a nice 1440p monitor already...

I might be biased because I have the previous generation platform with a 1060, but I think your CPU/mobo is still pretty solid for 1440p/60Hz. You just need a faster card and ideally you'd be able to push the CPU overclock a bit higher, most chips of that model can break 4.0 I think. A 1070 with that build would put you in a good spot though.

nerox posted:

I see 4590, unless it's a 4590K actually then no go on that. Could still get good results with a faster card though.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

nerox posted:

Eletriarnation posted:

I see 4590, unless it's a 4590K actually then no go on that. Could still get good results with a faster card though.

What is this saying; that if I don't overclock my processor, an rx580 or gtx1060 wouldn't be useful? Wouldn't work at all? Pretend I don't know what I'm doing.

3peat
May 6, 2010

nerox posted:

look at a 1060 or RX580.

...with longing eyes, from very far away

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

3peat posted:

Also yeah, it seems Newegg either has them for way too much money, or they're sold out. Is this normal? Are there, like, shortages of video cards? Why wouldn't they just make more if stock was low?
Am I completely retarded?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Quad posted:

Also yeah, it seems Newegg either has them for way too much money, or they're sold out. Is this normal? Are there, like, shortages of video cards? Why wouldn't they just make more if stock was low?

Buttcoin miners have ravaged the stocks of these

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Quad posted:

People have very suddenly started buying all the graphics cards to mine the new bitcoin.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Quad posted:

What is this saying; that if I don't overclock my processor, an rx580 or gtx1060 wouldn't be useful? Wouldn't work at all? Pretend I don't know what I'm doing.

No, sorry - it's saying that you can't overclock your processor unless there's a display error with what you posted and it's actually a 4590K instead of a 4590. (People who actually have Haswell... you still can't mess with BCLK much on that generation, right?) Even if you can't overclock though, you would still see substantial gain from a new graphics card - you just might see the limitations of the CPU in some scenarios where you wouldn't if you were running at 4.5 or whatever.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 21, 2017

nerox
May 20, 2001

Quad posted:

A newer card would still help you even if you can't OC the processor.

3peat posted:

Yeah the links that say in stock on pcpartpicker are out of stock when I go to the actual website.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6670-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti

I'll prolly do this; it doesn't seem like a drastic change, but it's a 5 year newer card, and I'm sure it'll bump me up past 'playable but poo poo on minimum" to "60fps on medium".

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BCRock posted:

Currently using:

I had the same setup with 16gb and an R9 290x gpu - I just replaced that with an Asus 1060 (thanks thread) because they're currently on sale in Europe, with DOW3 included. I just bought a cheap quiet cooler (Arctic Freezer i32) to replace the jet engine sitting there currently, and with that done I figure I'll be set for a few more years.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Quad posted:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6670-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti

I'll prolly do this; it doesn't seem like a drastic change, but it's a 5 year newer card, and I'm sure it'll bump me up past 'playable but poo poo on minimum" to "60fps on medium".

It will be a drastic change from your 6670, you should end up happy with it. With the 1600x900 monitor that Speccy reports you can probably just max out everything on most games - my parents have a regular 1050 with an i5-4590S and they have no problem running FO4 or MGSV on 1080p/high.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 21, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

- my parents have a regular 1050 with an i5-4590S and they have no problem running FO4 or MGSV on 1080p/high.

Do tell.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
MGSV is actually seriously impressive in terms of running on low-spec systems, I had no problem playing it at 720p/low on the HD 4600 iGPU before I bought the 1050 and all things considered it didn't look that bad.

Shame that I don't know if Konami will ever reuse the engine.

I would still probably recommend stretching for a 1060 if you're building a new system and able to because it's a small difference in full-system cost, but as upgrades go the 1050's value proposition is not bad - especially if your screen is sub-1080p.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 21, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

MGSV is actually seriously impressive in terms of running on low-spec systems, I had no problem playing it at 720p/low on the HD 4600 iGPU before I bought the 1050 and all things considered it didn't look that bad.

Shame that I don't know if Konami will ever reuse the engine.

I would still probably recommend stretching for a 1060 if you're building a new system and able to because it's a small difference in full-system cost, but as upgrades go the 1050's value proposition is not bad - especially if your screen is sub-1080p.

Awww. I thought you meant your parents played MGSV

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is a pretty good deal right? I was planning to build a new system and spend around 2K and get a monitor but I think I might buy this and wait a few years to build a system. Wait until there are cards that can easily drive 4K displays in demanding games and hdr monitors are more common.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

CyberPingu posted:

Awww. I thought you meant your parents played MGSV

No, although my mom might give it a try if prompted - she was a Doom fan back in the day but I'm not sure if stealth is her thing. My dad's more of a Civ type. I got the card so that my younger cousin who lives nearby could play at their house, since he doesn't have a gaming computer or much interest in maintaining one and they already had the Haswell desktop for an HTPC. I also figured they might want a 4K TV one day, so HDMI 2.0 was a bonus.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Buttcoin miners have ravaged the stocks of these

It's not bitcoin, it's the other n-currencies like it. There are now tools that automate selling lovely random currencies for bitcoin, which you can use to buy a fair bit (e.g. Steam).
This trend won't break like bitcoin mining, because the complexities are going to remain within GPU range.
As it is, most of the cards that are running out of stock will pay for themselves mining over ~60 days so some huge shifts in supply and demand need to happen before this settles again; people are buying them as though they are free.

This is all to say unless you want to hold on a while, assume the inflated prices are correct and plan accordingly.
This probably means buying a 1080 if your demands are >1080p/60 most times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Khablam posted:

It's not bitcoin, it's the other n-currencies like it. There are now tools that automate selling lovely random currencies for bitcoin, which you can use to buy a fair bit (e.g. Steam).
This trend won't break like bitcoin mining, because the complexities are going to remain within GPU range.
As it is, most of the cards that are running out of stock will pay for themselves mining over ~60 days so some huge shifts in supply and demand need to happen before this settles again; people are buying them as though they are free.

This is all to say unless you want to hold on a while, assume the inflated prices are correct and plan accordingly.
This probably means buying a 1080 if your demands are >1080p/60 most times.

I'm aware. Its just easier to say "bit/buttcoin" as opposed to going into the other stuff.