Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I wish SMN had some different Ruin mechanic, like maybe channeling a stream of Ruin blasts. To go all the way to 70, just to be told that the most efficient skill is the one you got all the way back at level 1 is just baffling. Hey, if you get lucky, we'll throw in a one-time boost that does... exactly the same thing, but with bigger numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I wonder how you even do that to an onion ring.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

MCH and PLD are enormously improved.

MCH is markedly worse between 52 and 62 because you have no way of managing heat and thus no way of timing an overheat for when Wildfire comes off cooldown. Ammo is used for both heat management and to force procs (which you need to do if you want to do good damage), so you can't use it to time your overheat while also using it for maximum Wildfire burst. The new MCH mechanics literally anti-synergise with each other, it's kind of amazing.

They need to make Wildfire give +50 heat and remove the proc system entirely, making the MCH weaponskills a straight combo so ammo can be used for heat management and bonus potency instead of being required to make sure you're actually doing damage. And while I'm at it, remove the heat gauge until 62, because it's nothing but a penalty until you can manage it.

Also while I'm at it: it's hilarious that the WAR66 trait literally does loving nothing as it is because you never want to use Infuriate outside of a Berserk window and if you use it when the cooldown resets early, it is literally impossible to have it back up in time for when Berserk comes off cooldown. It was so blatantly designed for the old Berserk cooldown and was just ignored when they changed that.

Between that, Onslaught costing gauge, Deliverance still being 52 and the half-assed changes to finishers, SB WAR feels like Afterthought: The Job.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 20, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

BLM basically had good changes too. easier enocian, aoe thunder, more flares, triple cast and a big pot spell added.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Blattdorf posted:

I wish SMN had some different Ruin mechanic, like maybe channeling a stream of Ruin blasts. To go all the way to 70, just to be told that the most efficient skill is the one you got all the way back at level 1 is just baffling. Hey, if you get lucky, we'll throw in a one-time boost that does... exactly the same thing, but with bigger numbers.

Yeah, both Summoner and Scholar feel really incomplete and lovely to me now. I main SCH and they just feel super gimped and lame. I run out of mana quickly in dungeons and it's a struggle to actually keep people healed properly because adloquium's mana cost is so high now that I have to spam loving Physick of all spells just to keep them topped off. My ability to mitigate damage is a lot worse, between the increased mana costs and fairy potency changes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Green Tea Erotica posted:

I play with my SO who happens to main heals. The two angry Tanks that complained were, "Don't heal me, I don't need it." and "Stop doing DPS, learn 2 play". So I can understand why the healers may be conflicted and complaining.

Fake Edit: It baffles me that people stare at other peoples Cast Bars. I just, like, play the game and stuff.

My attitude towards healers is that if the answers to the questions "did i die" and "was it the healer's fault" are "no" then I don't care even a little bit what the healer was doing. minimal competency is the bar i set for pubbies

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

I think most classes got better from what I'm hearing now that the initial kneejerk reaction is over. The only ones that got hit really bad were Summoner and SCH.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

MCH is markedly worse between 52 and 62 because you have no way of managing heat and thus no way of timing an overheat for when Wildfire comes off cooldown. Ammo is used for both heat management and to force procs (which you need to do if you want to do good damage), so you can't use it to time your overheat while also using it for maximum Wildfire burst. The new MCH mechanics literally anti-synergise with each other, it's kind of amazing.

They need to make Wildfire give +50 heat and remove the proc system entirely, making the MCH weaponskills a straight combo so ammo can be used for heat management and bonus potency instead of being required to make sure you're actually doing damage. And while I'm at it, remove the heat gauge until 62, because it's nothing but a penalty until you can manage it.

Also while I'm at it: it's hilarious that the WAR66 trait literally does loving nothing as it is because you never want to use Infuriate outside of a Berserk window and if you use it when the cooldown resets early, it is literally impossible to have it back up in time for when Berserk comes off cooldown. It was so blatantly designed for the old Berserk cooldown and was just ignored when they changed that.

Between that, Onslaught costing gauge, Deliverance still being 52 and the half-assed changes to finishers, SB WAR feels like Afterthought: The Job.

Overheating every wildfire sounds like a catastrophic dps loss.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Holyshoot posted:

it will be balanced by plds who don't use holy, i have already seen it happen. Full mana bars the entire fight.

Guilty of this until yesterday when I finally had to take a break and read this thread for the first time since getting past the Rau/Pip bottleneck. "Wait-I should be spellcasting? :aaa:"

EDIT: I'm still probably doing SB-PLD wrong some way, though I'm only at 66 so I don't have the full rotation yet.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

WHM solo is still pretty rough even with stone 4. Regen, dot dot, throw rocks for what seems like forever until thing dies.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

My attitude towards healers is that if the answers to the questions "did i die" and "was it the healer's fault" are "no" then I don't care even a little bit what the healer was doing. minimal competency is the bar i set for pubbies

I'm not even apt to blame them then unless every single one of my cooldowns are blown. And a potion. And they weren't out of mana or dodging bad. And their connection didn't hiccup.

I'm pretty forgiving I guess?

But I've tanked in mmos since dawn, and never played healers, and will never understand why anyone would want to.

Consequently I am always thankful they exist and enable me to stand in front of angry dragons heroically as a career.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dear Caster DPS (aka Red Mages) who don't give me Mana Shift after I pointedly tell them to give me Mana Shift when I'm at 20% MP 'cos I've spammed the poo poo out of Holy in your level 50 dungeon that I'm graciously healing

gently caress YOU

Signed

Me

It's called dps, not support per second. You don't pay my sub.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Overheating every wildfire sounds like a catastrophic dps loss.

Overheating gives you +15% damage total for 10 seconds in exchange for losing the +5% from gauss barrel and heated skills for 10 seconds after that. There is probably no reason not to overheat with every Wildfire, because that's your burst window.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dear Caster DPS (aka Red Mages) who don't give me Mana Shift after I pointedly tell them to give me Mana Shift when I'm at 20% MP 'cos I've spammed the poo poo out of Holy in your level 50 dungeon that I'm graciously healing

gently caress YOU

Signed

Me

Same but with Foe Requiem and it's monster drain. I can loving refresh your mp back because I'm gonna use it anyway to get mine back too, keep the damage rolling dudes.

For real though the weirdest thing about Stormblood Bard is constantly reminding myself that I have a targetable convalescence, an optional babby rampart that can be put on anyone else in the party, and a choice of Max Hp+15%, or between 10% physical or magical damage reduction for the 3-7 others with me. Defensive cooldowns like that feels incredibly alien after all these years.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 20, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Overheating gives you +15% damage total for 10 seconds in exchange for losing the +5% from gauss barrel for 10 seconds after that. There is literally no reason not to overheat with every Wildfire.

You do more damage over 50 heat. It's the loss of the gauss barrel plus the loss of that damage plus the loss of that damage continuing after gauss barrel but until you get to 50 heat.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
My best friend has arrived

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Overheating gives you +15% damage total for 10 seconds in exchange for losing the +5% from gauss barrel and heated skills for 10 seconds after that. There is probably no reason not to overheat with every Wildfire, because that's your burst window.

It takes an eternity to rebuild Heat though, at least until you unlock Flamethrower.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The 65 NIN quest reminds me of why I wish we could replay instances. That was some hot stuff.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So then only overheat when you have Barrel Stabilizer up so you can instantly go back to 50, which means every other Wildfire.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

pld dps is currently substantially better than either warrior or drk, which is absolutely terrible from a gameplay balance perspective that the best tank at actual tanking is now also the one with functionally infinite sustain AND the best overall dps. the fact this even made it to live is absolutely bizarre.

class balance in ffxiv has not been 'always good' and the fact wow has worse balance doesn't somehow mean other things balanced better doesn't somehow mean they're still balanced well.

On the other hand, who does the best damage is usually determined by the arcane tool known as "numbers" and "numbers" can actually be changed between expansions. Or so I've been told.

And how about you show me where FFXIV class balance is bad, because I don't see it. You can pretty easily do all of the content in this game on pretty much any nonstandard comp you may want as long as you've got two tanks, two healers, and four dps. If your argument is class balance is garbage because of what a bunch of assholes on reddit think about the meta then you're actually full of poo poo.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Note Block posted:

My best friend has arrived

:hf:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

On the other hand, who does the best damage is usually determined by the arcane tool known as "numbers" and "numbers" can actually be changed between expansions. Or so I've been told.

And how about you show me where FFXIV class balance is bad, because I don't see it. You can pretty easily do all of the content in this game on pretty much any nonstandard comp you may want as long as you've got two tanks, two healers, and four dps. If your argument is class balance is garbage because of what a bunch of assholes on reddit think about the meta then you're actually full of poo poo.

one class in a role does literally everything better than the other classes. what else do you need to be shown

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

You do more damage over 50 heat. It's the loss of the gauss barrel plus the loss of that damage plus the loss of that damage continuing after gauss barrel but until you get to 50 heat.

Yeah, I updated the post to clarify. I'm pretty sure not having heated skills for 10s after overheating is balanced out by the WF burst but I haven't actually mathed it out, so assuming that's right, worse comes to worst you want to overheat Wildfire when Stabilizer is off cooldown, so every other WF.

That or you never actually want to overheat in which case lmao.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

one class in a role does literally everything better than the other classes. what else do you need to be shown

Where the other classes can't do the same job.

Also, expansion launch, no poo poo some classes are outperforming. This happened at HW launch, too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I legitimately don't think the developers intended on balancing tanks around DPS. If mitigation and survivability are noticeably different, then that is an issue. I mean I don't think you're going to be losing a raid spot if you want to play DRK over PLD.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I don't think you're going to be losing a raid spot if you want to play DRK over PLD.

If you are then those people are garbage you don't want to play with anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I legitimately don't think the developers intended on balancing tanks around DPS. If mitigation and survivability are noticeably different, then that is an issue. I mean I don't think you're going to be losing a raid spot if you want to play DRK over PLD.

More DPS = boss is dead faster = boss does less damage to everyone = better mitigation.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lemon-Lime posted:

More DPS = boss is dead faster = boss does less damage to everyone = better mitigation.

Yes I understand that. The point I was trying to make was that I don't think the devs are consciously looking at tank DPS as part of the overall class "balance".

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Personally for Dark Knight, aside from potencies, I think it's high time the refresh limitation on Darkside takes a hike. There isn't really a reason I can think of for that to have ever existed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vargatron posted:

Yes I understand that. The point I was trying to make was that I don't think the devs are consciously looking at tank DPS as part of the overall class "balance".

Their DPS targets for enrage times apparently take tank DPS into account but not healer DPS. Take from that what you will.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the bit where you send the warrior into dps jails in a7s and a8s because it's actually easier that way probably shook them a little

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I'd like to assume they are, because if they aren't that's phenomenally stupid.

I mean, we know they think that DPS should trade some damage for utility, which is why they design DPS jobs that have no utility but lots of damage (HW MNK, SAM) and jobs with lower damage but more utility (HW NIN), and WAR is meant to be the tank equivalent (higher damage, no utility), so I would hope they've realised what the consequences of giving a job lower damage and less utility than another are.

Not saying you're obviously wrong, though. :v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

hobbesmaster posted:

Their DPS targets for enrage times apparently take tank DPS into account but not healer DPS. Take from that what you will.

Ah so they're falling into the WoW: Cataclysm trap. Granted tanks in FF14 don't have as much responsibility for controlling their own mitigation outside of short CDs.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

vOv posted:

So then only overheat when you have Barrel Stabilizer up so you can instantly go back to 50, which means every other Wildfire.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, I updated the post to clarify. I'm pretty sure not having heated skills for 10s after overheating is balanced out by the WF burst but I haven't actually mathed it out, so assuming that's right, worse comes to worst you want to overheat Wildfire when Stabilizer is off cooldown, so every other WF.

That or you never actually want to overheat in which case lmao.

Well I think the ideal start to an encounter is probably immediate stabilizer so yes, then it would be every other starting on the 3rd wildfire, then 5th, 7th, etc.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

they should make tanks do hella damage and be badass since it'll get more peopel to play em

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

queeb posted:

they should make tanks do hella damage and be badass since it'll get more peopel to play em

hire this man square enix

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Green Tea Erotica posted:

I play with my SO who happens to main heals. The two angry Tanks that complained were, "Don't heal me, I don't need it." and "Stop doing DPS, learn 2 play". So I can understand why the healers may be conflicted and complaining.

Fake Edit: It baffles me that people stare at other peoples Cast Bars. I just, like, play the game and stuff.

Whether or not you should ska or heal is highly situational and dependent on the gear of both the healer and the tank. But more often than not pubs are just dumb and bad.

That and there's a good chance that your "Heal me!!" tank is used to bad healers that let him die while trying to spam Stone II.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Remove tanks and healers and give red mages holmgang

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jinh posted:

Remove tanks and healers and give red mages holmgang

Basically bring back FFXI RDM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

Basically bring back FFXI RDM?

Never played that game but I guess I'll turn into one of those "XI is better ra ra ra" types if this is true lol