Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Sorry for posting like crazy but I haven't enjoyed an episode this much in a while.

It's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Lol the computer's trolling Picard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi's mom now telling Wesley and Worf how handsome they are and why she can't be with them. I've never said this before in my life, but she is the living end

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How does 24th Century Man Picard know how to operate a revolver?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay they make up for this with how uncomfortable and clumsy he is with a cigarette.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi's mom: "[Riker]'s adorable."

Truth.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Manhunt. Pretty good makeup on the comatose fish-eye aliens at the beginning.

That's Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac under the makeup, by the way. No, I don't know why.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi's mom is going to unknowingly gently caress a hologram.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh, there WAS a threat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Look, Timby, today's millennial consumers aren't satisfied with store-bought stuff, they need to know that every prop and costume is 100% hand-crafted bespoke artisan goods so that they can authentically engage with oh my god why am i suddenly vomiting uncontrollably

These days even that's not hard! 3D printers are overrated for most things, but for sci-fi prop construction they're apparently loving game-changing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Meanwhile Dr Crusher doesn't know how to operate chewing gum

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Sorry for posting like crazy but I haven't enjoyed an episode this much in a while.

I love it, personally. Reminds me of someone who live-posted their whole first ds9 watch-through quite a while back. (S4: "Yessssssss it's WORF!")

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

butt-rock version of the TNG theme

I never knew I wanted this until just now. Come on internet, coooooooome oooooooooon....

https://youtu.be/7L54GYRcxSM

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trickjaw posted:

There is also Bones' med scanners which were bargain basement Swedish futuristic looking salt and pepper shakers. Then when they need a salt shaker for 'The Mantrap' they had to steal one from the commisary, so it actually looked like a salt shaker.

quote:

Tell me, are you aware of how Wah Chang fashioned his props for the original series?

Wah Chang is one of the unsung heroes of the Original Series. He was non-union, so not only did he have to go uncredited for his work, but he technically wasn't allowed to actually fabricate or make anything for the series, so Solow and Justman kept him hidden. But he's the guy responsible for things like the communicator and the tricorder, Bones' medical instruments, a bunch of costumes like the Gorn, and so much more. Matt Jefferies gets a lot of credit for stuff that was actually Chang's.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Wah Chang is one of the unsung heroes of the Original Series. He was non-union, so not only did he have to go uncredited for his work, but he technically wasn't allowed to actually fabricate or make anything for the series, so Solow and Justman kept him hidden. But he's the guy responsible for things like the communicator and the tricorder, Bones' medical instruments, a bunch of costumes like the Gorn, and so much more. Matt Jefferies gets a lot of credit for stuff that was actually Chang's.

Is there a comprehensive list of everything he designed? I've never heard of him before this, but I also haven't read the TOS half of Fifty Year Mission yet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of everything he designed? I've never heard of him before this, but I also haven't read the TOS half of Fifty Year Mission yet.

You also clearly need to read Inside Star Trek by Justman and Solow. (Seriously, it's a great read.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As usual, the Memory Alpha article has a decent list and provides a good starting place.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Wah_Chang

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

As usual, the Memory Alpha article has a decent list and provides a good starting place.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Wah_Chang

drat you for starting me down this rabbit hole

edit:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watched The Emissary. I know that mixed human-alien offspring is something that's thematically necessary and you just have to suspend your disbelief for, but I always have trouble with it just because it's so, so unlikely that the DNA would even be similar, let alone compatible.

Most of the episode was dull and predictable except the part where Worf wanted to get married, and the part where he commanded the enterprise to fool the Japanese Holdout Klingon soldiers without ever technically lying to them, which ruled.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I wish there were more comedic/character based episodes like this. Not all of them needs a threat to the Enterprise.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh, there WAS a threat.
Yeah, I think at this point in the series, the executives mandated that every episode had to have some sort of mortal threat to the Enterprise or a main cast member, which resulted in some kinda shoehorned "threats" like that one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watched The Emissary. I know that mixed human-alien offspring is something that's thematically necessary and you just have to suspend your disbelief for, but I always have trouble with it just because it's so, so unlikely that the DNA would even be similar, let alone compatible.

They'll make a three-quarter-assed attempt to explain that in season 6 with all of Trek's usual deep understanding of DNA and biology in general (and then promptly ignore the major revelation in all future episodes as usual)

Also, obviously an Emissary would be half-alien : DS9 : <--someone make this

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I never knew I wanted this until just now. Come on internet, coooooooome oooooooooon....

https://youtu.be/7L54GYRcxSM

Half expecting Ace Rimmer* to blast across the screen as soon as that started.

* What a guy!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You also clearly need to read Inside Star Trek by Justman and Solow. (Seriously, it's a great read.)

Yeah, I'd say the three definitive books anyone needs to read are Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek by Joel Engel, Inside Star Trek: The Real Story by Bob Justman and Herb Solow (although there are some bits that are a bit dodgy, whether due to bad memory or bad fact-checking, I don't know, but there's some stuff they assert in there that's completely inaccurate), and The Fifty-Year Mission (and with that one, just flat-out ignore anything that Marc Cushman says, because he's full of poo poo).

Edit: I've mentioned this before, but do not confuse the Engel book with the "authorized biography" of Roddenberry by David Alexander. Majel got her hands on an advance manuscript of the Engel book and was horrified that it wasn't going to just suck Roddenberry off for 300 pages, but actually take a deep dive into what a hosed-up guy he was. So she commissioned Alexander to write what is essentially a hagiography of Roddenberry, repeating every single urban legend and tall tale (dressing up like a cop to get his first script read, the Pan-Am crash, offering the rights to Star Trek to his first wife in lieu of alimony, being personally responsible for getting Nimoy on The Motion Picture, being the guy who got the Academy movie killed, and so on). As a historical document, it's essentially worthless.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 20, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I think at this point in the series, the executives mandated that every episode had to have some sort of mortal threat to the Enterprise or a main cast member, which resulted in some kinda shoehorned "threats" like that one.

I liked how much of an afterthought it was. It was funny. The fact that it was at the expense of the executives just makes it better.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I can't tell if Worf was being sarcastic there.

that was Mick Fleetwood in the fish suit

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Bloop posted:

They'll make a three-quarter-assed attempt to explain that in season 6 with all of Trek's usual deep understanding of DNA and biology in general (and then promptly ignore the major revelation in all future episodes as usual)

I love how the show just completely shrugs off the profound, civilization changing revelation at the end of the episode. What's that? All humanoid life in the universe was actually seeded by an ancient race of progenitors? Eh, whatever, I guess that's cool.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I love how the show just completely shrugs off the profound, civilization changing revelation at the end of the episode. What's that? All humanoid life in the universe was actually seeded by an ancient race of progenitors? Eh, whatever, I guess that's cool.

*Breaks warp speed limit causing subspace climate change*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I liked how much of an afterthought it was. It was funny. The fact that it was at the expense of the executives just makes it better.

Also great way of showing how powerful Lwaxana is compared to her daughter.

"Hi, oh those guys are terrorists btw, here's their whole plan."

Come to think of it, how dumb was that race for sending terrorists to a conference they know telepaths will be attending. At least download their memories to a microSD card and give them new identities for the purposes of the conference so a mind-reader doesn't pick up their intentions.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Also great way of showing how powerful Lwaxana is compared to her daughter.

"Hi, oh those guys are terrorists btw, here's their whole plan."

Come to think of it, how dumb was that race for sending terrorists to a conference they know telepaths will be attending. At least download their memories to a microSD card and give them new identities for the purposes of the conference so a mind-reader doesn't pick up their intentions.

Again, that seems like it'd be too cyber for Star Trek.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also I like how a lot of the time the Enterprise is more powerful than some kind of enemy ship and the conflict isn't whether they'd win in a battle, it's how to avoid a battle. That's not common now and I'm guessing it wasn't at air time either.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Not really. They've had people encoding data in DNA sequences (The Drumhead), mind control (The Mind's Eye), memory manipulation (The Inner Light, Conundrum, Clues)...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

Not really. They've had people encoding data in DNA sequences (The Drumhead), mind control (The Mind's Eye), memory manipulation (The Inner Light, Conundrum, Clues)...

Every time they've shown memory retrieval it's almost always been painful and non-voluntary, aside from mind melding, I don't think there's a nice passive way to download your brain.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Every time they've shown memory retrieval it's almost always been painful and non-voluntary, aside from mind melding, I don't think there's a nice passive way to download your brain.

We are talking about terrorists, here.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Oh. All those episodes are ahead of where I am. The only cyber thing that's happened so far is Data's grandpa taking his positronic brain.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They do it in DS9

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

In DS9 they at least have a multispecies couple going to the doctor to get genetically tweaked ovum so they can concieve, just assume that always happens.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's talk of interspecies babies being all but impossible on Enterprise, so they're are advancements maybe by the time Spock is born? Should he already be born?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Bloop posted:

There's talk of interspecies babies being all but impossible on Enterprise, so they're are advancements maybe by the time Spock is born? Should he already be born?

Looks like Spock was born in 2230. The NX-01 launched in 2153. Didn't B'Elanna need injections from the Doctor to be able to carry Paris' baby to term or am I confusing that with some other plot?

Also, it's kinda odd that no babies were born on Voyager between Naomi Wildman and Baby Torres.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Worf's brother knocked up some alien on a primitive planet with no Federation medical resources at all so :shrug: