Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suddenly want to level Black Mage to 70 just because their new AF set is perfect

Well, that, and there are lots of explosions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hit 70 on RDM :toot: I am amused that I do the same silly spin when casting VerHoly that WHMs do when casting Holy. I guess its a mandatory part of Holy!

The RDM storyline was pretty awesome. X'Rhun and Arya are pretty cool, and it was really neat doing segments of both Great Gubal Library (Normal) and Weeping City during the quests and even fighting a version of Gubal NM's final boss Do any of the other job quests visit actual past dungeons like that?

Also, X'Rhun can do mechanics, he is better than your average pubbie.

SMN

"...something called an 'aetherochemical research facility"
*WoL shudders*
"You're familiar with this place?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. The supposed fix I found on the game's support pages didn't work. I have an AMD card, and the launcher for the game/trial says play in DirectX 11. However, I get frequent crashes to desktop that say there was a fatal DirectX error. The support pages for the game said go into my AMD control panel and enable Crossfire, but my AMD settings don't say anything about Crossfire. I've updated my drivers to current, but I'm still getting frequent crashes.

Is this a known issue or does anyone know a workaround?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Hmmm. The supposed fix I found on the game's support pages didn't work. I have an AMD card, and the launcher for the game/trial says play in DirectX 11. However, I get frequent crashes to desktop that say there was a fatal DirectX error. The support pages for the game said go into my AMD control panel and enable Crossfire, but my AMD settings don't say anything about Crossfire. I've updated my drivers to current, but I'm still getting frequent crashes.

Is this a known issue or does anyone know a workaround?

Crossfire is AMD's 2 videocard synergy thing, you definitely don't need that.

Do you have any screen overlays? Like are you on Windows 10?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Crossfire is AMD's 2 videocard synergy thing, you definitely don't need that.

Do you have any screen overlays? Like are you on Windows 10?

I am on Windows 10, yes. No screen overlays. I tried playing the game fullscreen rather than windowed fullscreen, still getting crashes.

It's not predictable. Sometimes I'll stay in for an hour or more with no trouble, sometimes less than a minute. Haven't been getting this error with any other games I'm playing, including WoW.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Saint Freak posted:

It cracks me up that heated split shot makes you do a flip every time. Like yes, this makes the bullet even more bullet-ier when I do this!

Listen that gun got really hot if you're not doing a ton of flips you're just going to burn your hand

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The RDM storyline was pretty awesome. X'Rhun and Arya are pretty cool, and it was really neat doing segments of both Great Gubal Library (Normal) and Weeping City during the quests and even fighting a version of Gubal NM's final boss Do any of the other job quests visit actual past dungeons like that?

SCH 60-70 has you visiting the last part of Amdapor Keep and Lost City HM (with the latter having a slightly modified version of the Kuribu fight.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it's not your drivers or anything, it's FF14 doing it. But everyone says it's related to an interaction between DX11 and screen overlays Square hasn't fixed for years.

Windows 10 has an automatic overlay in games with the Xbox app. Nvidia cards with Geforce Experience have one too, I don't know if AMD has a similar thing. But for mine I disabled the Nvidia overlay and removed the Xbox app and haven't had one of those crashes since.

You need to put:
code:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage
...into an admin Powershell to remove it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kind of wish I had played more final fantasy games before I got into XIV. Apparently there's a ton of stuff that references even the old 2d ones.

I also just found out the "wild roses" thing as actually a callback to FF2 where "wild rose" was a password to get into a rebel hideout.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Yeah, FF14 is flooded with references to the overall series, including a ton of references to offshoots like Final Fantasy Tactics. The most blatant one in Stormblood (and the one that made me geek out like a child) would probably be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLxP67RKUJI

edit: I've been assuming "Kaien" is a better translation of "Cyan" from the original US release of FF6, but I don't speak a word of Japanese.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

edit: I've been assuming "Kaien" is a better translation of "Cyan" from the original US release of FF6, but I don't speak a word of Japanese.

You're correct. His original name was apparently supposed to be "Cayenne," like the pepper, and that sounds exactly like "Kaien" (which is how it's written in katakana: カイエン).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah it would be cool to pick up on these references. The only ones I've actually finished have been 7-9. I've made some abortive attempts to play 5 + 6 but I never played them as a kid and I can't seem to stick with it as an adult.

There's a goon LP in progress where they're playing through every final fantasy game in order if you want to just watch instead. They're up to 7 currently. I like it because they're very enthusiastic about the series, but it's also very long so I skip around a lot tbh

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oxyclean posted:

I kind of wish I had played more final fantasy games before I got into XIV. Apparently there's a ton of stuff that references even the old 2d ones.

I also just found out the "wild roses" thing as actually a callback to FF2 where "wild rose" was a password to get into a rebel hideout.

Yeah that's kind of a running thing. Practically everything is a reference to something from another game. Krile's a character in 5, and the entire Crystal Tower raid is based on the final dungeon run of 3.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

It cracks me up that heated split shot makes you do a flip every time. Like yes, this makes the bullet even more bullet-ier when I do this!

so that's where bard's unnecessary flip went

those fucker machinists stole it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

Yeah that's kind of a running thing. Practically everything is a reference to something from another game. Krile's a character in 5, and the entire Crystal Tower raid is based on the final dungeon run of 3.

FFXIV is a Final Fantasy fanservice festival, really. As far as I'm aware they didn't go to that well too often in FFXI, but I really enjoy it in XIV.

Every FFIX fan must have cracked up when they saw Ozma.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just as well, doing a flip while shooting an arrow is incredibly dangerous, it was only a matter of time until someone got hurt

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harrow posted:

FFXIV is a Final Fantasy fanservice festival, really. As far as I'm aware they didn't go to that well too often in FFXI, but I really enjoy it in XIV.

But they still won't give us Doomtrain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Not worth it until they give Monk Suplex anyway

V :hfive:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Until monks can suplex things it's pointless anyway.

edit: beaten

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

As someone who doesn't get most of the references, I appreciate that the game is still fun in its own right even outside of the fan service

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the phantom train is in one of the castrums (meridianum?) and if there's any justice we will ride triumphantly into garlemald in 5.0 or 6.0 on a giant fuckin hellocomotive

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doomtrain's original name was Death Express but it didn't fit into the character limit.

Choo choo, Death Express coming for you stupid techno romans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

You need to put:
code:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage
...into an admin Powershell to remove it.

How do I do that? I'm not very familiar with computers and don't know what Powershell is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

As someone who doesn't get most of the references, I appreciate that the game is still fun in its own right even outside of the fan service

Yeah, they work to make sure that even the things that are references also work if you don't get the reference, which is exactly how it should be done. It'd suck if whole quests made no sense if you hadn't played a specific FF or something. So even though there are tons of references (like the entire country of Doma, right down to the name, or the design of Garlean magitech armor being exactly like FF6 concept art), they also work in the context of Eorzea, so the references are a bonus and not a prerequisite for enjoying it. It's good stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They've made reference to a Garlean Phantom Train however . It is what uses those massive train tracks you see at the very north of Northern Thanalan. Apparently the line runs all the way to Garlemald.

[Edit] that's what I get for not refreshing while at work

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Thundarr posted:

I generally agree. It had some pretty good high points and amazing set pieces but on the whole it isn't as good as what we had in Heavensward.

(ending chat)

On the other hand, this expansion gave us lots of Alisae time and that is a good thing.

(full story spoilers)

Having just finished yesterday, I would agree with you that Zenos really isn't that interesting of a primary antagonist. I don't really think they were trying to romanticize him at the end though - he's still an irredeemable psycho and his last words basically read as irredeemable psycho to me in the moment. I will say that his english VA was goddamn incredible and elevated the character well beyond an otherwise generic portrayal basically by chewing all the scenery. Fordola was pretty good in this regard too, especially when she's angry, which was like 80% of the time.

Yotsuyu was the better antagonist by far in that they put effort into showing why she's a horrible person instead of Zenos being a horrible person just because he is. I actually liked the Far East portion of the expansion storyline way more then the Ala Mhigo portions - brand new area, new lore, the new characters were better written and more interesting (Gosetsu :allears:) and Yugiri finally got some character focus after first showing up in the story all of 2-3 years ago now.

Also, seriously, I gotta ask, all this effort into planning the siege and no one noticed the giant castle-sized dragon just chilling in an energy sphere on the roof of the Ala Mhigan palace? Not a single person?

Last fight was incredible although if I am being cynical I think it will utterly destroy trial roulette for awhile. Maybe I just got bad groups but two full lockouts before my raid group stepped in to help me clear it, people just couldn't handle all the mechanics in the last phase. It's a slower snowball then an extreme fight once people start dying but once it starts it's just as hard to reverse the wipe. Better then Thordan for sure, although I'm already terrified of how they'll make it WORSE for the extreme version...

No argument about Alisae being MVP of the scions this expansion, hope she sticks around.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

pissdude posted:

Scholar still feels like poo poo compared to how they used to be but there are videos of people doing Susano EX with 1 healer (Scholar) with only spot healing from the PLD in between and they pull it off so, I guess they're OK? Still feels worse though, I can't even handle multipulls in Doma Castle and stuff

Doma has a couple pulls where Largesse and Dissipation are actually good things, and some of the packs hit hard enough on a leveling tank that multi-pulling brings a lot of pain. The pulls that come to mind are the early pull with the giant armored knight, and the doorway at the top of the steps near the end with the magitek bot who keeps getting reinforcements.

I've had no problem doing any of it as SCH, but it always feels like my toolkit is swiss cheese compared to how I expect it would feel on WHM. The only ability I don't have is Fey Union, so I'm not really holding out hope.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They've made reference to a Garlean Phantom Train however . It is what uses those massive train tracks you see at the very north of Northern Thanalan. Apparently the line runs all the way to Garlemald.

Maybe it'll be a dungeon in whatever expansion we go to Garlemald

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I really want to find some time to play FF6. I've been told by almost all my friends that it's among the best/most memorable of old FF games, apparently Stormblood has a bunch of monsters from it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah. My knowledge of final fantasy encompasses a bunch of jobs and maybe some monsters from the few games I have played. I know stuff like Ultros and Giglamesh are from old FF games, but the stuff with them is great and stands on its own.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cythereal posted:

How do I do that? I'm not very familiar with computers and don't know what Powershell is.

Powershell is a fancy command prompt.

Easiest way is to open the Start menu and just type Powershell (or type it into the Cortana search, it's the same thing.) It should find "Windows Powershell", then you can right click that and run as admin. Paste the code in, it takes a second or two and will remove the Xbox app.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Zenos's VA is leaps and bounds better than just about everyone else in the game (and I think ff14's VO work is passable to really good most of the time) that it carried everything he did so hard. I could listen to him monologue all day long.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[Edit] that's what I get for not refreshing while at work

They've also hinted at some kind of evil train that runs the tracks around Black Brush Station. I think it was the Halloween event had you investigating it or something?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ainsley McTree posted:

They do an excellent job of making references and homages stand on their own two feet in the setting lore, agreed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I really want to find some time to play FF6. I've been told by almost all my friends that it's among the best/most memorable of old FF games, apparently Stormblood has a bunch of monsters from it.

Yeah. My knowledge of final fantasy encompasses a bunch of jobs and maybe some monsters from the few games I have played. I know stuff like Ultros and Giglamesh are from old FF games, but the stuff with them is great and stands on its own.

Yeah FF6 is the one I want to do the most. I should just load it up on a SNES emulator and cheat honestly, I'm too bad at old JRPGs to play through it the honest way. Same thing for 5

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does Stormblood have a lot more dialog choices during quests than ARR/HW? I've noticed an unusually high number in the RDM 50-60 quests already, and I've seen people posting screen shots of some good ones, too.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah FF6 is the one I want to do the most. I should just load it up on a SNES emulator and cheat honestly, I'm too bad at old JRPGs to play through it the honest way. Same thing for 5

FF6 is pretty easy, definitely easier than 5, I'd say (though I've only played through 5 in four-job fiesta so maybe it's snooze easy if you use all the jobs). Though the final dungeon can be pretty rough if you haven't been using a variety of characters as you play through. It's also really, really, really good and I think has one of the best stories in JRPG history for a lot of reasons.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 22, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harrow posted:

Does Stormblood have a lot more dialog choices during quests than ARR/HW? I've noticed an unusually high number in the RDM 50-60 quests already, and I've seen people posting screen shots of some good ones, too.

Yes, I'm level 63 and have had more than basically the entire ARR through Heavensward story had.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ainsley McTree posted:

Old JRPGs are pretty drat easy tho.

Like I do not know how you could possibly play this game well and not those. 14 is leagues harder than anything made in the SNES era.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Depths posted:

Is it just me or does the rhalgrs reach theme sound oddly familiar?

I haven't been there since the story forced me to Doma but the song that played per Doma was almost exactly America the Beautiful but with a slightly slowed tempo. I started singing the chorus of the song and the syllables outright matched as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been wanting to play FF5 as well - I've heard the GBA version is the way to go on that one, so emulation is an option for that too. That said, who needs cheating when you can just grind levels like a madman? I mean, you do play an MMO, so grinding should be nothing new? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the stormblood Quest Complete jingle sounds like a section from the ending of the Internationale, and it fills me with patriotic fervor to destroy the hated capitalist imperialists