Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pretty satisfied with stormblood through the end and paladin is loving sick.

Also strength tanked all the content without any issue. I put on a couple pieces of jewelry for trash in the last two dungeons, but I probably didn't even need that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

I posted earlier about how I thought the story was stupid. Having completed it, it's time to effort post. Obvious story spoilers, do not click if not finished.

I generally agree. It had some pretty good high points and amazing set pieces but on the whole it isn't as good as what we had in Heavensward.

Spending too much time in the east and not nearly enough in the west created some pacing problems that really stood out. I think it worked pretty well up to the first time Zenos kicks your rear end, but then your time in the east drags on and by the time you get back its all hey we have to wrap this expansion up and everything gets compressed way more than it should have.

I understand the point they were trying to make with beaten and abused civilians not being eager to resist for fear of losing what little they have left, but by the third or fourth time that came up Lyse should have had a better reply ready rather than just having it play out the same way repeatedly.

Zenos is basically a villain from a punchmans game, in that he's OK with burning down the whole world as long as he gets his One Good Fight out of the deal without much personality beyond that. I didn't appreciate that they tried to romanticize him at the end since he was portrayed as an irredeemable psycho right up to that point. Though in fairness even his own dad literally says as much a few minutes later. At least Zenos' deliberate undermining of the Garleans' best interests in pursuit of his goal serves as an explanation for the utter failure of imperial intelligence to so much as slow you down, let alone stop you, once the real fighting starts in Doma and Ala Mhigo. Seriously both of those sieges play out way too perfectly.

Yotsuyu was more interesting in a "bad people can be victims too" sort of way, though they never really gave us details about how she made the jump from hating her family for making GBS threads on her to personally blaming all Domans everywhere for her awful childhood. Maybe that'll happen in future patches.

On the other hand, this expansion gave us lots of Alisae time and that is a good thing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I mostly agree. I think it had better high points than HW but just doesn't give as good of a complete story.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

gear appearance was a few pages back but i'm surprised that not a whole lot of Archer/Brd gear is super revealing outside of early levels with the various Harnesses and Subligars. The closest that comes to that is the Rainbow Shirt of Aiming that basically is a jacket that you leave open.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I haven't finished the expansion yet, but one thing that always bothers me with these games is that they talk about grand things, but ultimately it feels like the war is happening between 20-30 people, and that's including the minor npcs. It's just a nitpick, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hit 70 on RDM :toot: I am amused that I do the same silly spin when casting VerHoly that WHMs do when casting Holy. I guess its a mandatory part of Holy!

The RDM storyline was pretty awesome. X'Rhun and Arya are pretty cool, and it was really neat doing segments of both Great Gubal Library (Normal) and Weeping City during the quests and even fighting a version of Gubal NM's final boss Do any of the other job quests visit actual past dungeons like that?

Also, X'Rhun can do mechanics, he is better than your average pubbie.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 22, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

This is the summer of level 69.

enjoy it while it lasts, u don't get to lol like this again til level 420

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wangsbig posted:

FF 14, lvl 88
:hitler:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Holy hot drat Lakhsmi's theme is 5000% fire. I think I have a new favorite primal theme.

Also I can see Lakhsmi EX being a complete pubbie destroyer for quite a long time.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
How long do you guys think it will take before Excalibur opens up to new characters?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Another unanswered question, that probably already has an answer: Is it worth it to pop Thrill to boost Upheaval's damage? Probably not. Would be a much more compelling thing to do if the CD on Upheaval were shorter, but I did notice that Thrill was tacking on an extra 30% onto Upheaval on a dummy, whenever I could get the drat thing to not crit.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

We'll probably hit i420 sometime in 5.0, or maybe even the end of 4.X since HW was about 100 ilvl from start to end.

55 dungeon mechanics questions: How do you not die to Rush? I'm guessing it's just 'run away from the boss' since it has the same double-ended tether that lava Pepsiman has in Library Hard but I"m not sure.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

I'm not in Stormblood yet so I can't speak to the 60-70 experience wrt how the new skills improve it, but my main gripes would be aoe feeling really weak (as with most SB classes) and the song mechanic being too random. It sucks to spend a Paeon only to get a single proc near the end, or a Minuet where Pitch Perfect doesn't even max out once. I know there's a later trait that triggers song procs when EA is used, so worst case you should get two procs(?) but that's still kinda bad. One awesome change that was mentioned in passing earlier is that Barrage can crit now, so it's pretty great on a Straighter Shot proc if you don't have EA due to sync or it's not off cooldown. Also the role actions that restore TP/MP halve your enmity, so I suppose they could double as a sort of Quelling Strikes when you're bursting in Minuet/Ballad.

It's pretty clearly designed for bards stacking crit at level cap, which sucks, but hey, the FF14 pre-cap job experience sucks for every job.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Another unanswered question, that probably already has an answer: Is it worth it to pop Thrill to boost Upheaval's damage? Probably not. Would be a much more compelling thing to do if the CD on Upheaval were shorter, but I did notice that Thrill was tacking on an extra 30% onto Upheaval on a dummy, whenever I could get the drat thing to not crit.

Unless you need it as a defensive cooldown, you may as well. It doesn't average out to much extra potency over 2 minutes but hey, free damage, especially in Defiance.

I like how they took the Wrath gain off Vengeance and Raw Intuition presumably to stop us using them for damage, but put in that Upheaval/Thrill of Battle interaction. :downs: Who knows why the gently caress they didn't just give Upheaval +100 potency in Defiance and make it ignore the damage penalty the way finishers do.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 22, 2017

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any new vendor that uses hunt seals at the end of the MSQ or at level 70, or should I just get the HW speed increases for now?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So (dungeon spoilers):

Bardam's Mettle is the new best dungeon, yeah? That second boss is fuckin amazing even if I messed up at the very last bit.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SonicRulez posted:

So (dungeon spoilers):

Bardam's Mettle is the new best dungeon, yeah? That second boss is fuckin amazing even if I messed up at the very last bit.

It's great, but I can see it getting old real fast if you run the dungeon a lot.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Freak Futanari posted:

How long do you guys think it will take before Excalibur opens up to new characters?

Well it finally let me transfer so I'd say that's a good sign. Try checking after midnight and again after 4 AM PDT if you're able.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Catsworth posted:

Well it finally let me transfer so I'd say that's a good sign. Try checking after midnight and again after 4 AM PDT if you're able.

It actually opened up briefly at exactly 4 AM, so it all worked out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Freaksaus posted:

Is there any new vendor that uses hunt seals at the end of the MSQ or at level 70, or should I just get the HW speed increases for now?

There is, in Rhalgr's Reach. Has materia and minions iirc. Didn't see any gear upgrade items so it looks like the best you can do for now is just straight tomestone + primal gear

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
So i decided to create a completely new character on omega and for the first time play a healer, starting out with white mage and changing to astrologian when it becomes available.

So my question is what role actions are best for healers? There are a couple obvious ones but some of them seem pretty close.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

amazeballs posted:

I also have hats turned off on my character.

Why would you turn off 90% of the fun

Wangsbig posted:

they are not wrong

WAR has the slashing damage debuff, how does that not make up for the difference?

Velthice posted:

From what I hear, war is now the class that has to work harder to do the same damage as drk and not as much as pld. It also has the least amount of utility now that path has been changed and slashing isn't nearly as valuable anymore since the dps classes that want it now just apply it through their normal rotations,

Oh, other classes have slashing debuff now? That sucks :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Freak Futanari posted:

I was able to make one just now. Going to play the free trial as far as it will let me before going ahead and subscribing, though.

One thing I will give this game: compared to every other MMO I've played, enemies are weird and I love it. I have no idea what the gently caress a coblyn is but I've killed a whole bunch.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Follow up question to what I was asking before. So my tracking information says my package departed and the arrived right back in Miami and I've abandoned all hope of receiving this anytime soon. I assume my account can only have 1 copy of the game on it. So if I bought a standard digital when my CE comes I couldn't register that for the bonus items? I would have to buy digital CE and that comes with all the in game items the physical CE does? Just wanna make sure if I decide to do something drastic.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I was able to make one just now. Going to play the free trial as far as it will let me before going ahead and subscribing, though.

One thing I will give this game: compared to every other MMO I've played, enemies are weird and I love it. I have no idea what the gently caress a coblyn is but I've killed a whole bunch.

Wait until you start seeing classic monsters from the old games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

super sweet best pal posted:

Wait until you start seeing classic monsters from the old games.

I've only played a couple of Final Fantasy games before, actually, X and X-2. Most of this stuff has been all new to me.

Gorgeous game, though, when it's not crashing every twenty minutes.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty satisfied with stormblood through the end and paladin is loving sick.

Also strength tanked all the content without any issue. I put on a couple pieces of jewelry for trash in the last two dungeons, but I probably didn't even need that.

both my tanks wore full 270 strength when we killed lakshmi and susanoo extreme in two pulls

S-E sure poo poo the bed this time with forcing vitality on tanks this time

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

GoldenPrice posted:

So my question is what role actions are best for healers? There are a couple obvious ones but some of them seem pretty close.

I'm using Protect, Esuna, Lucid Dreaming, Swiftcast and Largesse because the rest looks like garbage.
e: rescue is fun but realistically usually I'm the one who needs to be rescued

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Shy posted:

I'm using Protect, Esuna, Lucid Dreaming, Swiftcast and Largesse because the rest looks like garbage.
e: rescue is fun but realistically usually I'm the one who needs to be rescued

One time a healer used Rescue on me when they had a "stack together" marker on Lakshmi

It killed me because we still didn't have enough people

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The changes to tank damage weights are incredibly dumb and the fact that they didn't foresee people just using i270 STR gear and didn't go back and lock previous accessories is amazing. :downs:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Using rescue at a silly time during the last fight of anything is guaranteed to get a commend. Bonus points if you get someone killed with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Follow up question to what I was asking before. So my tracking information says my package departed and the arrived right back in Miami and I've abandoned all hope of receiving this anytime soon. I assume my account can only have 1 copy of the game on it. So if I bought a standard digital when my CE comes I couldn't register that for the bonus items? I would have to buy digital CE and that comes with all the in game items the physical CE does? Just wanna make sure if I decide to do something drastic.

Pretty much.

Do you have a PS4?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Is it just me or does the rhalgrs reach theme sound oddly familiar?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I really wish lilies could be generated out of combat, divine benison looks fabulous and I want to be able to cast it in cities

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Aphrodite posted:

Pretty much.

Do you have a PS4?

yeah, Ps4.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

For people keeping track of the very important + serious FF14 timeline, according to a NPC in Yanxia, Stormblood takes place "within one year" of the defeat of the Doman rebellion which was some time prior to the Doman refugees showing up in 2.1.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Man the changes to how accuracy works is really lame guys I can't hit anything in these EXDR dungeons and I can't figure out why.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if the PSN lets you redeem both a standard and CE, but I wouldn't count on it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Duel of the potatoes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It cracks me up that heated split shot makes you do a flip every time. Like yes, this makes the bullet even more bullet-ier when I do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

It cracks me up that heated split shot makes you do a flip every time. Like yes, this makes the bullet even more bullet-ier when I do this!

The MCH upgrade in Stormblood is learning gun kata.