Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

But isn't there a dodge check before resists take place? I think I'd try my luck rolling more attacks

Honestly I've never had a mark get dodged, so I'm not sure. The only one that seems like an issue is Vulnerability hex because its simply a ranged attack with a -90% damage mod that happens to apply dodge debuff and mark when it hits.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait mark is on an action timer? I never realized this in my short experience of the Darkest exploration. Ugh.

It is kind of bullshit in my opinion, since if you are using a mark you are sacrificing an offensive attack that action anyway. And besides, the type of monster you'd most want to mark is a boss, right? I think its still worth it, just less beneficial since you have to reapply it a bit more in the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Soup du Journey posted:

Did they nerf the abomination's damage at some point? They did, didn't they? I'm struggling to get good use out of this guy

It got nerfed shortly after release. Also his damage has always had some weird scaling stuff going on, so he feels nerfed at low levels compared to higher levels.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If everything that was per action became per round I don't think I would mind.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Panfilo posted:

Honestly I've never had a mark get dodged, so I'm not sure. The only one that seems like an issue is Vulnerability hex because its simply a ranged attack with a -90% damage mod that happens to apply dodge debuff and mark when it hits.

I've had that dumb bird dodge a bunch of marks before, friggin thing has like 62 dodge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ramadu posted:

any decent streamers for this since the dlc is out? i used to watch matt oblivium cause he was really good at it but hes doing some weird elder scrolls hearthstone game cause its too hip right now to stream darkest dungeon and he wouldnt get new viewers i guess lmao streamers are weird
moonmoon's been streaming it after overwatch sessions

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If you get a Virtued Jester become Courageous, one of his barks is,
"It is a sad day when I am your best hope" :ironicat:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Well he's not wrong.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Apparently the recent patch added Horror on Madmen as well.

I do appreciate laudnum as a means to finally cure horror, but that takes up the relatively small inventory space we have. Devs should either make holy water cure horror or give us a skill that cures it.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

IronicDongz posted:

moonmoon's been streaming it after overwatch sessions

Moon thinks the jester is good and Abom is bad though, which is a hilarious opinion much like people who have never run a marking party at higher level missions and think marks are bad

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I joke that marks are bad, I'll have you know

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Highwang posted:

Apparently the recent patch added Horror on Madmen as well.

I do appreciate laudnum as a means to finally cure horror, but that takes up the relatively small inventory space we have. Devs should either make holy water cure horror or give us a skill that cures it.

I'm actually fine that there's a new DoT type and a new provision to cure it, but some suggestions to make things less annoying:

Aethenium gives you a couple Laudinums each week as provisions on top of other benefits. Right now this is probably the least useful of the hero-boosting districts. Its just as pricey, but the benefits aren't nearly worth it in my opinion compared to even Training Grounds or Yellow Hand.

Pep Talk, Inspirational Speech, Therapy Dog, Gallows Humor, etc also remove horror. It makes sense to camp immediately after you have a bunch of horror tics to try to remove them as much as possible. Making camp skills remove horror means you don't need to necessarily take Laudinum if you're willing to camp earlier on.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Has anyone tried the granary yet? I'm curious as to how much food it provides, and as to whether the healing boost on food is something that really has an impact on dungeons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ersatz posted:

Has anyone tried the granary yet? I'm curious as to how much food it provides, and as to whether the healing boost on food is something that really has an impact on dungeons.

So far it gives me 4-9 food. Getting it early on could have a decent savings in the long run for a player, and also has the added benefit of always bringing food even if you're a drunk idiot like me and forget to add some. The healing boost seems more relevant with high HP heroes but it does mean that healing out of combat is a bit more useful. I've had a Leper eat a biscuit and get 10HP for it, which seems like a drat good deal considering how scarce out-of-combat healing is.

The other nice thing is the extra food doesn't seem to count against your provision total for that mission length, so it means you can take that much more food which is significant for the Crimson Court runs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Holy poo poo, check out this CC set item:

Last Will and Testament
+15 PROT
+15% HP
-10% Deathblow Resistance
Set Bonus: +15 ACC if HP over 60%
"The last treasures of King"

So basically like a tough Ring but with no malus. You could stack it with a Tough Ring to have an insanely tanky Leper. Haven't seen his other item yet, but I'm betting it'll give him bonus health healed and/or damage or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jedah posted:

I mean, IronicDongz just posted a series of screenshots where a marking party was able to take down a Shambler in two rounds. It's kinda hard to argue with that.
it really isn't because

1) he marked a big target, which nobody's arguing about the value of doing
2) specific instances are not counterexamples to probabilistic math in the first place

so even if it were relevant to what the moderate mark party is saying it wouldn't be applicable

radical mark party vacate

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Coolguye posted:

it really isn't because

1) he marked a big target, which nobody's arguing about the value of doing
2) specific instances are not counterexamples to probabilistic math in the first place

so even if it were relevant to what the moderate mark party is saying it wouldn't be applicable

radical mark party vacate

You are so gonna get it when my Arbalest takes her turn rear end in a top hat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

*flexing intensifies*
and it'll be a good move because im a big target buddy
*flexing maximizes*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Marking smaller targets is fine for the Occultist to do to set up an easy kill for someone elese. His mark takes away dodge to so its less likely to result in gnashing of teeth at a missed blow.

Ersatz posted:

The healing is basically irrelevant in low level dungeons because nobody has enough HP for 15% to make a difference. It might make a bigger difference later and will probably be nice for the Darkest Dungeon where you just load up on max supplies.

Operant posted:

Moon thinks the jester is good and Abom is bad though

Its weird because the Jester gets the most value in an Abomination party since they can do all the heavy lifting for him.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 22, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I actually like pairing up the Jester with the Abomination since he's the best equipped to rein in the Abomination from flipping out on you. Especially so if you are already taking +stress healed trinkets and quirks.

Recently I've run MaA/Jester/Occ/Abom parties because with Wyrd reconstruction usable in the 2nd position, a support Man at Arms can now alternate between guarding and buffing, along with the Jester buffing and stress healing, and letting the Abomination and Occultist do the dirty work.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Monsters, beasts, creatures beyond mortal ken, and the biggest problem is just a big rear end crocodile.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Coolguye posted:

*flexing intensifies*
and it'll be a good move because im a big target buddy
*flexing maximizes*

Mark the doll where the Ancestor touched you

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bogart posted:

Monsters, beasts, creatures beyond mortal ken, and the biggest problem is just a big rear end crocodile.

gently caress man where's Steve Irwin when you need him? But yeah, so far from what I hear its the 'mini bosses' in the form of the Croc and the Fanatic that are a much bigger threat to players than the Crimson Court bosses.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Bogart posted:

Everyone brought stakes and crosses to a wrasslin

Does Vvulf's bombs use his accuracy? I'm wondering if bounty Hunter could caltrops him and dog man guard

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Everyone brought stakes and crosses to a wrasslin

Does Vvulf's bombs use his accuracy? I'm wondering if bounty Hunter could caltrops him and dog man guard

It would be pretty funny if all it took was a bunch of spiky pieces of metal on the ground and a barking wolfhound to cause a bomb to not go off properly.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man, the infection rate goes up really slowly on radiant mode. I've had the mission to go kill the count unlocked for ages but only encountered court enemies in the other areas a few times and never the ones that drop invitations. I am assuming that the higher infection goes the more I'm supposed to see those sorts of enemies elsewhere right?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Hey it makes rocks fall in the wrong spots

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

thebardyspoon posted:

Man, the infection rate goes up really slowly on radiant mode. I've had the mission to go kill the count unlocked for ages but only encountered court enemies in the other areas a few times and never the ones that drop invitations. I am assuming that the higher infection goes the more I'm supposed to see those sorts of enemies elsewhere right?

It only happens when the infection gets to 'high'

I get the sense that the devs wanted the curse to meander through your hamlet to the point that when it got to high you were desperate to clear it off. But this is tricky to balance, given the hotfixes. People have been getting huffy that it is too much of a grindfest to get to the point where you can actually do something about it.

My idea was to always give you the option of having a procedural Crimson Court mission available that you could take to gather blood and find invitations via secret rooms or minibosses. Then you could always run through there if you wanted, and if you were sick of having everybody becoming a vampire gather enough blood and enough invitations to actually do something about it.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Panfilo posted:

It is kind of bullshit in my opinion, since if you are using a mark you are sacrificing an offensive attack that action anyway. And besides, the type of monster you'd most want to mark is a boss, right? I think its still worth it, just less beneficial since you have to reapply it a bit more in the battle.

This is basically the reason why I don't like marking parties. The enemies I'd want to mark the most are DD enemies and bosses with 2-3 actions per round. It's fun to have an arbaltest crit the Swine God for 70 damage, but who cares? It's the Swine God, not a real boss fight. That loving crow is the one I want to mark the most, but it would be a terrible idea.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
2 out of the 4 marks also reduce the target's dodge, so its not a bad call to do it on the 1st round. Same goes for the Highwayman's Tracking Shot, which now lasts the entire battle; doing Tracking Shot on the crow on the 1st round means you'll have that buff for the duration of the time it is present; the extra damage and crit might more than make up for whatever other damage you might do on the opening attack.

I do agree they need to make it less about actions, and more about other things. Realistically, each mark should have some unique trigger to count down; the best mark could only count down when a critical attack hit the target, while the other ones could be based on other things, like just hits, DoT, dodges, or whatever. But mixing it up gives an incentive to use the Bounty Hunter and Arbalest's mark, which right now aren't very useful because they benefit too much by someone else who is faster setting the mark.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
"Enraging Slight" is by far the best name for an enemy skill.

But I have a question. Have the food mechanics been altered recently? I haven't played in a few months and the number of hunger checks appear to be quite. . . elevated.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i guess they did a hotfix to give people bps equal to the number of bosses they've killed? Because I logged in to 12 which is kind of overkill

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Note that a major issue with marks is enemies that take multiple actions will shrug off the mark in half the time. You end up having to re-up it at least every turn, which sucks.

Marking *can* be good, but it's one of those mechanics you can utterly ignore when planning your party compositions and you'll never really suffer for it.

@ Flagellant talk, how would you guys rate him? 1-2 good enough for your roster, or more like the 4+ crazy good classes?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you cannot take more than one flagellant in a party so 4+ doesn't make any sense if for no other reason than you'd never not be taking one at that level

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Panfilo posted:

So far it gives me 4-9 food. Getting it early on could have a decent savings in the long run for a player, and also has the added benefit of always bringing food even if you're a drunk idiot like me and forget to add some. The healing boost seems more relevant with high HP heroes but it does mean that healing out of combat is a bit more useful. I've had a Leper eat a biscuit and get 10HP for it, which seems like a drat good deal considering how scarce out-of-combat healing is.

The other nice thing is the extra food doesn't seem to count against your provision total for that mission length, so it means you can take that much more food which is significant for the Crimson Court runs.
That sounds surprisingly decent. I'm early in my run (week 10 or something) and I have the option to build one; I think I'm going to.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crimson Court going really loving well.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Coolguye posted:

you cannot take more than one flagellant in a party so 4+ doesn't make any sense if for no other reason than you'd never not be taking one at that level

You can't take more than one in a party? Is that something hard coded?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Makaris posted:

You can't take more than one in a party? Is that something hard coded?

Last line in flagellant.info:

code:
incompatible_party_member: .id flagellant_limit .hero_tag flagellant

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Otherwise having 2 would be a must have for CC. One alone is strong enough, I can't imagine how insane 2+ of those maniacs would be!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

This party of Rapturous Cultists Flagellants is quickly decimating these dumb vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I HATE ME. *smashes other self in face*