Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Catch me up, guys. I've been out of town since Saturday morning and I'm hoping to hit the ground running tomorrow. What's shaping up to be the most fun tank? I started with warrior, but thanks to Raubahn I don't have much catching up to do if it isn't as good a time as paladin. Do I really want to blow my poetics on a set of 270 strength accessories? How are people melding them?

Also have we heard anything specific about the end of the Garo event? I never gave a poo poo before but I got into PvP in the couple weeks before Stormblood hit and may as well work on that while I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Intoluene posted:

Before level 15, just make 1 of everything for the completion bonus. After that, if you don't care how long it takes, use daily GC turn ins and buy the item at high quality or just ask a friend to make it for you. If you're rushing, use leves. Before 50, you'll want to use the ones that make you deliver an item to another location. The ones needing three items are repeatable so they're actually rather efficient on allowances but not your wallet or time of you're crafting them yourself.

If you have Gil to burn, pick leves with a turn-in you can buy from a vendor and repeat those. It is extremely expensive but very fast

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Countblanc posted:

speaking of premades:

how? you can only queue with one other person out of a total of 8 players on the team.

I don't know. This is just what friends on Aether are telling me. I don't play that mode, i have no idea how it works. the only thing I can guess is that there's some sort of unwritten agreement that if you see people on your team throwing it, you throw it with them to make it faster.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Temple of the Fist, 2nd boss -

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

isk posted:

I broke 20k at 51. Felt real good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Popping in to say Lakshmi is a pro fuckin' Primal with pro fuckin' music

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Goddamn. I've never been into playing DPS just for the sake of big numbers, but I kinda want to get in on that while it's still crazy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Meldonox posted:

Catch me up, guys. I've been out of town since Saturday morning and I'm hoping to hit the ground running tomorrow. What's shaping up to be the most fun tank? I started with warrior, but thanks to Raubahn I don't have much catching up to do if it isn't as good a time as paladin. Do I really want to blow my poetics on a set of 270 strength accessories? How are people melding them?

Also have we heard anything specific about the end of the Garo event? I never gave a poo poo before but I got into PvP in the couple weeks before Stormblood hit and may as well work on that while I can.

Paladin is very good right now and people are saying it's fun (I can't speak first hand but it does look fun and being OP is generally fun). My friend who plays DRK is rather disappointed with the job, he says it lacks mitigation compared to the other tanks and, more importantly, is just less fun to play now for a handful of reasons I don't know enough about the job to convey beyond "you press fewer buttons" and he picked DRK because it's the most button-heavy tank. Warrior gets the Class Fantasy of spamming Fel Cleave but it's weaker now and if you don't care about that it's sort of a less impressive Paladin for the moment.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Countblanc posted:

Paladin is very good right now and people are saying it's fun (I can't speak first hand but it does look fun and being OP is generally fun). My friend who plays DRK is rather disappointed with the job, he says it lacks mitigation compared to the other tanks and, more importantly, is just less fun to play now for a handful of reasons I don't know enough about the job to convey beyond "you press fewer buttons" and he picked DRK because it's the most button-heavy tank. Warrior gets the Class Fantasy of spamming Fel Cleave but it's weaker now and if you don't care about that it's sort of a less impressive Paladin for the moment.

Bah, when I played DRK back in Final Fantasy 2 you only had two commands: FIGHT and ITEM. So this is a big upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Defiance Industries posted:

Bah, when I played DRK back in Final Fantasy 2 you only had two commands: FIGHT and ITEM. So this is a big upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

genuine lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Minrad posted:

did you forget to do HQ turn ins to your grand companies the past week or something? step it up, slacker

I ain't doing HQ turnins when the item is 300k on the AH. :colbert:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the state of WAR is a kid wanting to do nothing but eat candy and then having his wish come true, but then getting a bad stomach ache

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

isk posted:

Goddamn SAM is sick

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the epicness of Ala Migho and the cutscene after is somewhat curtailed by the 23 minutes I've spent queueing for the subsequent instance

at least I finally got around to putting away all my laundry. only play DPS if you have lots of chores you need to get done

e: no but for real 29 minutes into this now "more than 30m" queue I cannot believe they added two new loving DPS classes, what were they thinking?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 23, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

isk posted:

Intoluene posted:

I broke 20k at 51. Felt real good.

what puny baby sam numbers

https://twitter.com/FFXIVMomo/status/877384523306082308

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
back in WoW i remember some people would work out during long dps queues and eventually got Hella Strong just from doing pushups/situps/weights between queues. perhaps its time for ol count to get swole

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

e: no but for real 29 minutes into this now "more than 30m" queue I cannot believe they added two new loving DPS classes, what were they thinking?

They were thinking lots of people wanted to play DPS classes. Turns out they were right.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

the epicness of Ala Migho and the cutscene after is somewhat curtailed by the 23 minutes I've spent queueing for the subsequent instance

at least I finally got around to putting away all my laundry. only play DPS if you have lots of chores you need to get done

just ask goons to run it with you, man

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nipponophile posted:

They were thinking lots of people wanted to play DPS classes. Turns out they were right.

The people who will play tanks and healers already are, and the people who don't aren't really gonna change their minds.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I leveled a tank for my first class just because I don't want to suffer queues.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you could probably loving give people free subs and they'd still be hesitant to tank/heal and that issue is only compounded when you make three of the six non-dps roles Literally loving Garbage in the same expansion you introduce two cool-rear end dps jobs

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
SMN in pvp is really fun which is weird because i dislike PVE SMN

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i was a warrior main from like 2.1-3.55 and i'd rather play a dps class than have to navigate the clunky mess that is currently warrior just to do like 80 percent of a paladin's damage

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i was a warrior main from like 2.1-3.55 and i'd rather play a dps class than have to navigate the clunky mess that is currently warrior just to do like 80 percent of a paladin's damage

Actually you're a tank player, which means you forever will be. So quote the sacred texts.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm 20 minutes into a 50/60 dps queue and it hasn't even told me what number I am in line yet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nuru posted:

Are the WHM/AST folks the dps now in ~real content~?

A sch can still maintain MP while doing dps, thanks to lucid dreaming + aetherflow + the odd energy drain here and there, but I'm not sure about the other two. I've only just hit 70 with sch. For dungeons definitely just go whm/ast though. Holy/gravity is still the highest spammable aoe potency in the game I think.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

after a 42 minute queue we wiped twice and now people are trying to vote abandon

maybe i'll pay $15 to transfer to excal

at least in this tiny FC i'm in i found a party with one healer and one other dps that might make it a little better

e: we matched instantly. a queue that took 42 minutes as a solo dps

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 23, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I really enjoy SAM but in hindsight PLD would've been better as a first job to 70.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

I for one am happy that Yoshi-P was kind enough to make an MMO that will also give me time to work on my legend playthrough of Yakuza 0.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

back in WoW i remember some people would work out during long dps queues and eventually got Hella Strong just from doing pushups/situps/weights between queues. perhaps its time for ol count to get swole
I only have enough upper arm strength for healer queues

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you could probably loving give people free subs and they'd still be hesitant to tank/heal and that issue is only compounded when you make three of the six non-dps roles Literally loving Garbage in the same expansion you introduce two cool-rear end dps jobs

DRK isn't that bad really?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Injuryprone posted:

I leveled a tank for my first class just because I don't want to suffer queues.

I'm leveling a conjurer as my first character planning to go white mage because I like healing and don't like queues.

I assume this Satsasha is the first dungeon, because I went through an optional series of Dungeons 101 training scenarios first. Good gear and xp for trivial challenges like "don't stand in poo poo." The instructor even bitched at me for attacking the enemy instead of just healing.

...Actually, WoW could do with completing those training scenarios without ever getting hit by the ground effects being mandatory before being allowed to raid.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

DRK isn't that bad really?

I imagine a lot of the grousing in the thread is from comparing the tank classes to their state in HW. I really, really doubt any of them are truly that terrible.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

As a long-suffering Paladin, this expansion has been very cathartic so far.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Cythereal posted:

The instructor even bitched at me for attacking the enemy instead of just healing.

ignore this advice, dps as much as possible as healer

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

UHD posted:

I imagine a lot of the grousing in the thread is from comparing the tank classes to their state in HW. I really, really doubt any of them are truly that terrible.

None of them are terrible, but DRK and WAR definitely feels emptier now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just started my dark knight leveling and I already like it better than HW. Much less going on. I'm hitting dark arts more often but it somehow seems less onerous than before.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is a criticism not unique to DRK and WAR, but they were too timid to rock the boat when they should have been rejiggering some skills to become available to the player much sooner, rather than sticking them all at the end. And some of the decisions are just bad.

I still think PLD needs Sheltron <15, <30 at the latest.
MCH needs Cooldown at the same time as Gauss Barrel, not ten levels later.
Onslaught should either cost nothing and be a straight cooldown, or generate 20 wrath on use.
AST making cards into a gauge instead of card buffs means I have to allocate an extra skill to dump cards instead of just right-clicking them off. I also can't see what the other AST has pulled anymore so I can know whether or not its safe to blow my load and not get overwritted.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just started my dark knight leveling and I already like it better than HW. Much less going on. I'm hitting dark arts more often but it somehow seems less onerous than before.

it is because drk mp management used to require firing neurons in your brain but now is insanely simple, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I am on attempt #11, after 3 different groups, of the final story instance. We bailed on the last one because I had two items break and my DPS was even worse than usual, and now we are all repairing our poo poo and getting our AF3 gear before regrouping :v:

It's a very good fight but holy gently caress. So lucky I found a healer to queue with, otherwise I would have just quit playing until enough people had done that fight that I could get guaranteed carried instead of all these wipes

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 23, 2017