Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Surely they have to acknowledge WWII at some point, right? I get that they've got to distance themselves from Captain America, but it's kind of an elephant in the room at this point. I don't think the WW sequel should be set on Iwo Jima, but surely they can mention where Diana was during the last 7 decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

well why not posted:

Surely they have to acknowledge WWII at some point, right? I get that they've got to distance themselves from Captain America, but it's kind of an elephant in the room at this point. I don't think the WW sequel should be set on Iwo Jima, but surely they can mention where Diana was during the last 7 decades.

WWII was butterflied away when Luddendorf killed Hindenburg and his staff, and then got himself killed by a Goddess. Hindenburg was President of the Wiemar Republic from 1925-34 and in his dottage was in many ways responsible for the Nazi seizure of power.

Maybe they had a late 40s World War started by Stalin. :shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

well why not posted:

Booster Gold is gonna win WWII in the DCCU.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

Yeah, me too. For someone who doesn't know much about the two World Wars, "the war to end all wars" probably logically sounds like the second and last one. The movie also treats the Germans as the bad guys. And so unless you understand when biplanes were used or recognizing the fashions I don't remember anything overt that makes it clear it's WW1, right?

Trenches are the most distinguishing feature of World War I. It's "the war with the trenches". And they weren't calling it "the war to end all wars" in the future looking back, they were in the middle of the war, having no idea there would be another World War. They couldn't imagine any wars after this one, because either we'd all realize how awful wars are and not have them anymore, or we'd all be dead.

But seriously, by showing trenches and no man's land (and the fact that no one was waving a swastika around), I literally don't know what more they could have done to tell you it was World War I.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I can't stop laughing at the idea that the characters in the film should refer to the war they're currently in as "World War I" so that people know what war it is.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One character in WW should have done this, later revealed to be Booster Gold.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Seems like more a job for Metron. Who Diana then assumes is Ares.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Yesss.

That or Booster accidentally offhandedly reveals the Normandy Invasion during WW2.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yesss.

That or Booster accidentally offhandedly reveals the Normandy Invasion during WW2.

He arrives in WWI but thinks it's WWII and keeps giving really weird advice to everyone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

well why not posted:

She did explicitly say that she left the world of men for one hundred years after her last excursion.

While I think another period piece would be good for WW, I think it's pretty clear that that's not what DC is interested in doing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cythereal posted:

She did explicitly say that she left the world of men for one hundred years after her last excursion.

While I think another period piece would be good for WW, I think it's pretty clear that that's not what DC is interested in doing.

I thought I remembered reading years ago that their plan was to do one movie in WWI or WWII, one movie in, like, the 70's or something, and one movie in the present. But that was so long ago, who knows if it's still true. Or if I dreamed it up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

WWII was butterflied away when Luddendorf killed Hindenburg and his staff, and then got himself killed by a Goddess. Hindenburg was President of the Wiemar Republic from 1925-34 and in his dottage was in many ways responsible for the Nazi seizure of power.

Maybe they had a late 40s World War started by Stalin. :shrug:

I would love to see Wonder Woman 2 as a stealth adaptation of Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The MSJ posted:

" Who is Hitler? "

"An evil man you will recognise by his moustache."

"You mean he's really Ares?"

Gyges posted:

Seems like more a job for Metron. Who Diana then assumes is Ares.

The running joke of Diana assuming everyone is Ares is slaying me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

Gotta keep some stuff for the upcoming Etrigan vs Vandal Savage epic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

I thought I remembered reading years ago that their plan was to do one movie in WWI or WWII, one movie in, like, the 70's or something, and one movie in the present. But that was so long ago, who knows if it's still true. Or if I dreamed it up.

I would be infinitely down for a DC Comics' version of Black Dynamite, starring Wonder Woman.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A reminder that WW became a spy wearing a mod bodysuit in the 1960s/70s.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Geoff Johns is so hopeful!

Jesus Christ. Who drew that ugly poo poo and got paid for it?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think that the only thing that kind of bugs me now about WONDER WOMAN is that nothing is a challenge. I mean the only point Diana is ever shown as weak or overcome as a character is when she's a kid. Lord knows that the movie isn't alone in that (Hello THE FORCE AWAKENS) but it's something that stuck out for me.

Oh and her deciding that Steve is her motivation and never mentioning the Aunt she had who was also killed by Germans.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DrVenkman posted:

I think that the only thing that kind of bugs me now about WONDER WOMAN is that nothing is a challenge. I mean the only point Diana is ever shown as weak or overcome as a character is when she's a kid. Lord knows that the movie isn't alone in that (Hello THE FORCE AWAKENS) but it's something that stuck out for me.

This is generally how her and Superman work. Not capable of really personally being in danger, so their peril is in not being able to protect the innocent or prevent casualties and destruction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She didn't decide Steve was her motivation, she decided Love was her motivation.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I made a point the other day about how I wish there were more stupid gratuitous cameos in comic book films because I maybe counterintuitively feel like it would make the shared universe more "realized". Like yeah Tony Stark shouldn't be in every Marvel film but he is a famous enough dude that he should be on in the TV in the background or something.

Anyway, I just saw a Spider-Man ad where Captain America appears in a video to lecture kids who have detention and it legitimately made me twice as excited about the movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gyges posted:

Gotta keep some stuff for the upcoming Etrigan vs Vandal Savage epic.

God, a (well made) Demon Knights movie would own.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've seen BvS Ultimate Cut but are the extras worth it? I was hearing some really cool stuff about how insanely detailed everything was. That kind of nerd stuff is my thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Barudak posted:

My mother thought for years that Hitler fought alongside the allies during WW1 and she was aware that this film was WW1 so Im really not sure what your point is Lobok. Should a character should have paused and looked at the camera and used a term for the war that would have had literally no frame of reference for? Do you want a title card to pop up? Maybe a snapcode to scan?

Holy poo poo, all I was doing was agreeing with SolidSnakesBandana that I bet there are a bunch of people who thought the movie was set in WW2 and then thinking about what was in the movie that signals it's not. If people don't understand that it's WW1 then that's their problem, not the filmmakers'. Never said the movie needed to be any different.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

So I made a point the other day about how I wish there were more stupid gratuitous cameos in comic book films because I maybe counterintuitively feel like it would make the shared universe more "realized". Like yeah Tony Stark shouldn't be in every Marvel film but he is a famous enough dude that he should be on in the TV in the background or something.

Anyway, I just saw a Spider-Man ad where Captain America appears in a video to lecture kids who have detention and it legitimately made me twice as excited about the movie.

I can't imagine a worse person to pitch a lecture to at risk youth, someone that was given super powers by drugs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I can't imagine a worse person to pitch a lecture to at risk youth, someone that was given super powers by drugs.

Not only that, but he also drinks alcohol without any consequences

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I hope it's the same lecture that their grandparents were getting and is still in black and white with film grain. Also hope he went off on a tangent about how dumb cheeseburgers are, as any good New Yorker from the 30s would.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Based on the trailers, it's not a 1940's newsreel, but a lovely VHS tape, which raises even more questions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Based on the trailers, it's not a 1940's newsreel, but a lovely VHS tape, which raises even more questions.

It's probably a video on DVD but the school is so terribly-funded they had to transfer the video to VHS since they have no DVD player.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I'm on vacation and marathoning the Marvel movies and MAN this is a lot of set up for the Infinity War movie which I know due to sheer inertia it's going to be impossible for it to bomb but I kinda want it to. What was Thor 2 setting up though? Was it the implication that Loki killed or captured Odin or something? And I watched Civil War before Iron Man 3 but in that movie Tony apparently destroyed all the iron men armors? I can't remember if CW addresses that
I'm watching CA2 right now and goddamn the old man make up on Agent Carter is atrocious

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's not makeup.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Iron Man 3 comes way back at the start of Phase 2 before Age of Ultron and years before Civil War. So somewhere between IM3 and Age of Ultron Stark obviously rebuilt and his guilt/fear pushed him towards the Ultron "armor around the Earth" project. Which I think more or less works for Tony Stark's narrative. Phase 1 is all about his obsessive journey to be a hero where he thinks he's the poo poo all leading to Avengers where he all but sacrifices himself to save the Earth. Then Phase 2 starts with him recognizing the consequences and becoming obsessed with something better than Iron Man and the damage he's caused on to Age of Ultron and Civil War.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

STAC Goat posted:

Iron Man 3 comes way back at the start of Phase 2 before Age of Ultron and years before Civil War. So somewhere between IM3 and Age of Ultron Stark obviously rebuilt and his guilt/fear pushed him towards the Ultron "armor around the Earth" project. Which I think more or less works for Tony Stark's narrative. Phase 1 is all about his obsessive journey to be a hero where he thinks he's the poo poo all leading to Avengers where he all but sacrifices himself to save the Earth. Then Phase 2 starts with him recognizing the consequences and becoming obsessed with something better than Iron Man and the damage he's caused on to Age of Ultron and Civil War.

Stark explicitly says in Civil War that all the destruction he's caused is why he supports the Accords. He doesn't trust himself to do the right thing anymore but every time he tries to walk away from it events conspire to pull him right back in.

Iron Man 3 makes the most sense if you watch it immediately after Avengers, since a huge part of the movie is Stark's PTSD from Avengers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Awesome man

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I think that IRON MAN 3 did a great job of rounding off Tony's arc (There was the repeated rumour that he was then going to start taking a smaller role, which didn't happen obviously), but ULTRON needs to backpeddle on it quite a bit before CIVIL WAR gets him back in the same place again. They play it a bit loose.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Calaveron posted:

So I'm on vacation and marathoning the Marvel movies and MAN this is a lot of set up for the Infinity War movie which I know due to sheer inertia it's going to be impossible for it to bomb but I kinda want it to. What was Thor 2 setting up though? Was it the implication that Loki killed or captured Odin or something?

Yes. It gets mentioned at the end of Doctor Strange too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGqZKiPtpk

(The video is overly long because it's got analysis crap at the end, but it's the only version I've found online that has the full clip).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Alehkhs posted:

New TV spot for Valerian, giving us some new glimpses at some of the aliens of the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt9-osT0WtA

Apparently this is part of a "series" of TV spots for Valerian. Here are more, with different snippets of footage in each:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87v6ErhAN8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXH6-AE7L60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYLdJEpeQRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExllqAlEpnM

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Now THR is also reporting that Lord and Miller are free to return to Flash if they wish to

quote:

What will happen next for Lord and Miller isn’t clear but they are in demand and have an open berth waiting for them to direct The Flash for Warner Bros., if they chose to take it. (They had left that film for the Han Solo movie but could return.)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder if they're still doing the animated Miles Morales Spider-Man movie. It's a total different division of Disney, and it didn't stop Favreu from doing Jungle Book after his Iron Man/MCU troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Miles Morales movie is also Sony.

There is apparently a video of Kevin Feige's confused reaction to Amy Pascal saying that Venom and all the other Spidey character movies Sony is making will be part of the MCU.

• Locked thread