Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Skanker posted:

Stormblood is cool but I super dislike healing in it and I can't even put my finger on what's wrong.

I'm having the time of my life as a whm, mostly because of the loss of cs but synced content is especially easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4
Part one of the noclip documentary is up.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

Now that I've been playing for a week I can safely say:

oh my god bard is so good I'm crying

Ughhhh I wanna level BRD after RDM but I also promised a few people that I would level a tank next and DRK looks fun now

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
Looks like people are having issues with a certain trial.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Should I use a job potion on DRG,BRD, or MCH? How does each scale with gear?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

Yeah DF probably finds that trial a bit difficult, but they'd probably find putting on their shoes and tying them to be a difficult experience as well.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Should I use a job potion on DRG,BRD, or MCH? How does each scale with gear?

Anecdotally, I've heard people expressing dislike for drg new small number of skills, and saying that the new mch rotation is easier to manage. Make of that what you will.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

Man I need to get to end of msq so I can see this thing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i would gladly trade my eight fell cleaves or whatever for a job that isn't awful. somehow despite giving us the ability to artificially inflate our dps for twenty seconds every three minutes I'd rather just have a job where my ability to not do piddly tickle damage didn't rely on lining up like four disparate cooldowns that don't necessarily overlap or refresh at awkward timings

I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe removing the fun from two of the tank jobs (and one of the healer jobs) in the same expansion that introduces highly-anticipated and really fun DPS jobs might not have been the best idea.

I do wonder if the DPS queue situation is actually going to level itself out or not, because going by reactions to tank and Scholar changes, there are plenty of "tank and healer players" who're going to be much happier with a new home a DPS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Givin posted:

Didn't see it mentioned but, those training classes are for each archtype as well. So you can do them again for a tank and melee DPS set thats equally good.

Good to know, though for now I'm plowing ahead with conjurer instead of messing with another class.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Are those free 290 sets new models? Just got the white mage one, I look fabulous.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Harrow posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe removing the fun from two of the tank jobs (and one of the healer jobs) in the same expansion that introduces highly-anticipated and really fun DPS jobs might not have been the best idea.

I do wonder if the DPS queue situation is actually going to level itself out or not, because going by reactions to tank and Scholar changes, there are plenty of "tank and healer players" who're going to be much happier with a new home a DPS.

As a reformed former DPS player I still find playing WAR satisfying, if modestly easier from a "which button do I press now" perspective than it used to be. That said everyone saying how good BLM feels are making me want to level it up again

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Artless Meat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4
Part one of the noclip documentary is up.

Whoa that 1.0 interface lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's still really weird that we never got a Bahamut extreme, just Nael.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Skanker posted:

I've been playing AST since their release and I honestly don't know if this is a thing affecting all healers or not. Whenever I do synced content I literally can't heal speedruns anymore, the numbers are barely enough. Can't do even a bit of DPS either. The regen seems way weaker and AB has a real high mana cost. I keep drawing Ewers for myself because Lucid Dreaming isn't enough.

Stormblood is cool but I super dislike healing in it and I can't even put my finger on what's wrong.

This is anecdotal, but in the last week I have run into a unusually high number of healers who are struggling to heal, even the ones who make no attempt to dps. I don't know if I'm just having bad luck with getting mediocre healers or if something else is going on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arist posted:

Now that I've been playing for a week I can safely say:

oh my god bard is so good I'm crying

Preliminary report suggests MCH might not be half bad either once you get to 70 and the new mechanic actually works properly.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Thundarr posted:

This is anecdotal, but in the last week I have run into a unusually high number of healers who are struggling to heal, even the ones who make no attempt to dps. I don't know if I'm just having bad luck with getting mediocre healers or if something else is going on.

Fwiw I have noticed my health ping ponging around much more than it did in late HW stuff. I think it's a combo of trash hitting a lot harder, relatively, tank mitigation (aside from maybe pld) getting needed AND healer output getting nerfed. It's frankly less of a problem in trials / raids because you have to deal with mechanics and periodic tank busters rather than high sustained DPS from a blob.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of you nerds saying the hw story was better have some real fuckin rose tinted binoculars

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thundarr posted:

Playing WHM all I can say is holy poo poo things hit hard in this expansion and if you look carefully at gear upgrades, around level 65 is when you can start to replace shire gear and even though the main stats might be similar the defense numbers on SB white HQ gear are HUGE. I upgraded my chest last night from shire 270 to 275 dungeon green and it had an extra 40 defense on it straight up. I could handle healing the tank in the level 65 dungeon ok with one pack but two packs would leave me with all cooldowns blown and low mana trying to keep up.

I hope my problem was that my tank just hadn't replaced much gear yet.

Also the level 65 dungeon owns.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Themage posted:

All of you nerds saying the hw story was better have some real fuckin rose tinted binoculars

No see we were finally gonna have Man and Dragon Peace but then a pair of eyes got really mad and turned into a big angry dragon that was like gently caress PEOPLE GONNA GO TEAR UP ISHGARD.

Then it died and we continued as normal.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Fwiw I have noticed my health ping ponging around much more than it did in late HW stuff. I think it's a combo of trash hitting a lot harder, relatively, tank mitigation (aside from maybe pld) getting needed AND healer output getting nerfed. It's frankly less of a problem in trials / raids because you have to deal with mechanics and periodic tank busters rather than high sustained DPS from a blob.

As a WAR I feel like I'm flat out taking more damage, even in synced content. My health is see-sawing all over the place and I'm afraid to chain pull more than two packs for fear of my safety. Also I'm mourning the loss of Flash enough that I should probably hold a funeral.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Every final fantasy xiv story is the worst.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

As a Healer I can confirm things just hit really hard. If I still had (old) Cleric Stance I would be really scared of turning it on else the tank dies while Its on cooldown.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Lemon-Lime posted:

Preliminary report suggests MCH might not be half bad either once you get to 70 and the new mechanic actually works properly.

This is matching what I've been seeing since hitting 70. With a 310 weapon and an overall ilvl of 298 and no materia slotted, I was hitting a training dummy opener wildfires that don't overheat for ~10k, and overheated wildfires for ~11k, including 12k a single time. Haven't reinstalled ACT since reformatting so I don't know what my overall DPS would have been like. Decent, I think. Flamethrower is a big deal for intentionally overheating. At 70, it really begins to feel like machinist is more or less the same as before, but simpler and much more vulnerable to making big errors. The job just like...doesn't work until 66, and even then it's nothing compared to 70.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Count Bleck posted:

No see we were finally gonna have Man and Dragon Peace but then a pair of eyes got really mad and turned into a big angry dragon that was like gently caress PEOPLE GONNA GO TEAR UP ISHGARD.

Then it died and we continued as normal.

I thought the conflict with the Church attempting to hold fast to an orthodoxy based around dragon killing and heresy was pretty interesting, and I like that it took a lot of time and stabbing for a feudal monarchist government to shift into a proper parliament one.

Also SB's story is really great and fun.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Asimo posted:

Whelp, just beat the final boss.

Short summary: If you thought Thordan or Nidhogg was a spectacle... :stonk:

ya what the gently caress, people though steps in arr was hard, this is going to be awful for a while with pugs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel weirdly compelled to learn how to play with a controller but every time I try I flail around uselessly in combat for like five minutes before going right back to mouse/keyboard. In theory, holding L2/R2 and hitting buttons should probably be more comfortable for me--I really hate having to use numbers past 5 and ctrl/alt modifiers (shift is fine)--but holy poo poo I just can't get used to playing an MMO on a controller at all.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Some advice for people who are still working on getting a character to level 30 on a "preferred" server for the purposes of getting 15 days free. (Roll on omega, give the gil to eurogoons!)

Level a gatherer.

That's right, level a gatherer. It'll only take a two or three hours instead of a couple days. Fishing will probably be the least-bad, what with being able to just stand still and fish.

combat class takes a few days even if you spam skip through the story?

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Harrow posted:

I feel weirdly compelled to learn how to play with a controller but every time I try I flail around uselessly in combat for like five minutes before going right back to mouse/keyboard. In theory, holding L2/R2 and hitting buttons should probably be more comfortable for me--I really hate having to use numbers past 5 and ctrl/alt modifiers (shift is fine)--but holy poo poo I just can't get used to playing an MMO on a controller at all.

I made the switch to PS4 when I came back for Stormblood and I don't think I could go back to M/KB now that I'm used to it. The learning curve is pretty steep (as you pointed out) but holy poo poo it's so comfy and easy once your muscle memory starts kicking in.

Caveat: This is as a DPS and Tank player (SAM/DRG/BRD for DPS and PLD for tank). I haven't touched a healer outside of POTD since coming back, so healing with a gamepad is a bit of a mystery to me right now. Targeting isn't hard with a pad, but during hectic trial stuff it might not be as easy as the other 2 roles.

edit: forgot to click quote. I'm a dumb.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
After having completed the Main Story Quest for Stormblood, I would like to thank Raubhan for being the best Scion and getting all the work done. When we were busy putting giant rhinos in burlap sacks. You were doing the heavy lifting.

Honorary second best NPC goes to Leonardo, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Give me a permanent Manta Ray, thank you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Does anybody have a decent SAM cross hotbar layout I could look at? I'm having trouble binding the combos in a way that's comfortable.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's actually the secret best job because you get to hang out with Hilda and the Hounds and shoot people in their face/face analogues.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jymbojones posted:

I made the switch to PS4 when I came back for Stormblood and I don't think I could go back to M/KB now that I'm used to it. The learning curve is pretty steep (as you pointed out) but holy poo poo it's so comfy and easy once your muscle memory starts kicking in.

Caveat: This is as a DPS and Tank player (SAM/DRG/BRD for DPS and PLD for tank). I haven't touched a healer outside of POTD since coming back, so healing with a gamepad is a bit of a mystery to me right now. Targeting isn't hard with a pad, but during hectic trial stuff it might not be as easy as the other 2 roles.

Maybe I'll give that a shot once I'm past that "I gotta rush through HW so I can play with everybody in Stormblood" phase, so I'm not willing to take the time to just sit down and practice and adjust. But I generally enjoy controllers over mouse/keyboard for everything that isn't an FPS (I'm horrible at shooters on controllers) or, like, Civilization, so it's probably worth trying.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Thundarr posted:

Things seemed okay in the first couple SB dungeons (I was even able to multi-pull trash packs in the lv63 dungeon with no real health concerns), but stuff has gotten real dicey for me in the lv65/lv67 dungeons, to the point where I asked one of my healer buddies if something happened with SCH healing throughput in SB because each time I did 65 and 67 dungeons, I had a SCH healer and it genuinely felt like they just could not keep up with the damage output on either trash packs or bosses.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Augus posted:

It's still really weird that we never got a Bahamut extreme, just Nael.

I figure it's because, much like Odin, Bahamut was already really drat hard. To buff him would be to court death.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Is there a way to use both WXHB and toggle triggers? It seems weird that the game lets you have both set to on when they seem incompatible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xeria posted:

Things seemed okay in the first couple SB dungeons (I was even able to multi-pull trash packs in the lv63 dungeon with no real health concerns), but stuff has gotten real dicey for me in the lv65/lv67 dungeons, to the point where I asked one of my healer buddies if something happened with SCH healing throughput in SB because each time I did 65 and 67 dungeons, I had a SCH healer and it genuinely felt like they just could not keep up with the damage output on either trash packs or bosses.

Scholars are more than capable of keeping up with the damage output in the dungeons, they just have to actually use all their tools now. Emergency Measures and Dissapation now are something worth using instead of icing on a healing cake. A lot of Scholars are trying to play them exactly the way you could in HW and getting punched for it because SB expects you to be using more of your tools. It's absolutely a lot more work than it used to be but as a Scholar I've never had any trouble keeping up with healing unless my teammates are critically failing mechanics repeatedly (which is when healing should get outpaced)

Emergency Measures is on a 30s cooldown now and so should be used a lot more regularly than most scholars are using it. By not using it they're effectively turfing their healing ability. Likewise a lot of scholars are not manually controlling Eos and losing out on good regens. It's also worth remembering that Scholar shield can be incredibly hefty without actually showing up as health so a lot of the time you may be low but have a lot more effective health than it looks like, doubly so when you count their new ability that is a heal-below-50%. In general a major thing is that Scholars now should be using all their tools instead of DPSing while Eos does all the work/DPSing and occasionally using lustrate.

But seriously, if you are having trouble healing a Scholar, Emergencies Measures. It has a super-low cooldown now and is a huge-rear end heal. I've not done WHM or AST yet to say what their gimmicks are but I'm willing to bet "press the buttons you previously ignored" is relevant there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe part of my controller trouble was that I was trying to use an Xbox One controller, and the position/size of the d-pad means that's less comfortable to use for some types of actions compared to on a PS4 controller. I'll try with a DualShock 4 this weekend maybe.

dogsicle posted:

Is there a way to use both WXHB and toggle triggers? It seems weird that the game lets you have both set to on when they seem incompatible.

I think they don't work together, though it seems like WXHB could work with toggle triggers if you also have the "switch back to regular XHB after using an ability" option set. Like you just double-tap R2, press a button, and then it switches back to whatever you had toggled on before. I didn't try it so I don't think it works that way yet, but it seems like it could.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Scholars are more than capable of keeping up with the damage output in the dungeons, they just have to actually use all their tools now. Emergency Measures and Dissapation now are something worth using instead of icing on a healing cake. A lot of Scholars are trying to play them exactly the way you could in HW and getting punched for it because SB expects you to be using more of your tools. It's absolutely a lot more work than it used to be but as a Scholar I've never had any trouble keeping up with healing unless my teammates are critically failing mechanics repeatedly (which is when healing should get outpaced)

Emergency Measures is on a 30s cooldown now and so should be used a lot more regularly than most scholars are using it. By not using it they're effectively turfing their healing ability. Likewise a lot of scholars are not manually controlling Eos and losing out on good regens. It's also worth remembering that Scholar shield can be incredibly hefty without actually showing up as health so a lot of the time you may be low but have a lot more effective health than it looks like, doubly so when you count their new ability that is a heal-below-50%. In general a major thing is that Scholars now should be using all their tools instead of DPSing while Eos does all the work/DPSing and occasionally using lustrate.

But seriously, if you are having trouble healing a Scholar, Emergencies Measures. It has a super-low cooldown now and is a huge-rear end heal. I've not done WHM or AST yet to say what their gimmicks are but I'm willing to bet "press the buttons you previously ignored" is relevant there.

Adlos cost 1800MP and aetherflow was nerfed. SCHs cannot sustain that healing throughput.

To emphasize: aetherflow returns less MP than an adlo. Emergency tactics-> adlos will run you dry fast. Energy drain actually makes matters worse because you're giving up a free heal to recover less mana than the equivalent physicks, let alone adlos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

dogsicle posted:

I don't use toggle but I don't think so. There's a setting somewhere for WXHB that makes it hop back to the main XHB after you do an ability. Try turning that OFF/ON (not sure which would work honestly) and having toggle ON. Barring that, then I can't think of anything that'd make it work.