Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Not that anything will turn out well for Qatar, but the idea of Saudis fighting and winning a quick war of any sort is laughable. They're only going to make themselves look weaker and more impulsive if they go down this route. They don't have the cards to back up what they're bidding.

To be fair, I feel like the Houthis are probably going to be better at putting up a resistance than the Qataris would be. It just seems incredibly unlikely that all of the US, Iran, and Turkey would just let this pass with nothing more than words, right? I'm not really familiar with the inner workings of Middle Eastern politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OctaMurk posted:

Not that anything will turn out well for Qatar, but the idea of Saudis fighting and winning a quick war of any sort is laughable. They're only going to make themselves look weaker and more impulsive if they go down this route. They don't have the cards to back up what they're bidding.

i didnt say it would be quick. i think they probaly legit believe that.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't see how the economic and PR damage of initiating a shooting war over one of the Gulf prestigious metropolises could lead to any sort of gain for the Sauds. It actively makes them look worse, and it isn't going to be hushed up like Yemen.

house saud doesn't give two fucks. they at least personally are richer then god and they dont give to shits about PR, they waved gold and probably threw whores and lies at trump and now he is content and will back anything they do, and they dont give a gently caress about their failson comanders or conscript soldiers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Elyv posted:

To be fair, I feel like the Houthis are probably going to be better at putting up a resistance than the Qataris would be. It just seems incredibly unlikely that all of the US, Iran, and Turkey would just let this pass with nothing more than words, right? I'm not really familiar with the inner workings of Middle Eastern politics.

iran and turkey may fight back in some way if poo poo happens. who knows about the US but it looks like trump is pushing us standing by saudi arabia. for all of Obamas issues/gently caress ups, he wouldnt have let this poo poo happen.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Given the ultimatum style of the list of demands pointing towards further escalation, I wonder if the fact an occupation of Qatar would probably be rather revenue positive for Saudi might be a factor for MbS and his planning.

It didn't work out for Saddam with Kuwait, but with Trump in power I'm not sure how likely the US is to step in this time - especially based on the reaction so far.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It would be cool if Qatar invited more NATO countries like France to join the Turkish troops as peacekeepers.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Volkerball posted:

Ahrar al-Sham is rebranding itself, which was announced in a rare video from their leader. As part of it, they're now using the Syrian independence flag traditionally used by the FSA, instead of their variant of the black and white jihadist flag. They've also stated they are going to operate under "Arab law," rather than sharia moving forward. I think this sums it up well.

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/878200957951254528

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the shithead knows that the Jihadi movements are hosed one way or another and is now gonna pretend he/they were moderates all along to save themselves.
Yeah, about that rebranding:
https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/878211281957867520

quote:

Ahrar Al-Sham arrests 15 civilian in Ma'arat Al-Numan for drinking alcohol
Probably not gonna work.

Moving over to Raqqa:
https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/878201780466839552

quote:

Syrian Democratic Forces advancing on several fronts:

Equestrian City, 17th Division Base and Tall Biah captured

I laughed at one of the twitter responses, then felt terrible:
https://twitter.com/Jens_Govaert80/status/878220101731864577

quote:

Seems like Raqqa city is on the verge to be beheaded by SDF. :-D

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Saladin Rising posted:

Yeah, about that rebranding:
https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/878211281957867520

Probably not gonna work.

It might not win them any popularity contests, but if the worst jihadist groups did was ban alcohol, I think I could find a way to live with that. The quote Volkerball posted earlier about waiting until the revolution was dead to embrace it was really good though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Again with the Clancy poo poo, sorry, but these are Clancy times.

An outright Saudi invasion of Qatar seems pretty unlikely, but maybe they could stir poo poo up? Organize a coup, or protests in the streets, and then move their troops in to "maintain stability" or some such? Saudi send APCs and troops to Bahrain during protests there, though with the permission of Bahrain's rulers.

Just a general question to the thread: what does KSA do if, after 10 days, Qatar hasn't met their demands? Doing nothing makes them look weak. Do they have other non-violent ways of exerting pressure? Maybe ejecting Qatar from the GCC? Maybe my mistake is thinking they actually have a plan.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Roland posted:

An outright Saudi invasion of Qatar seems pretty unlikely, but maybe they could stir poo poo up? Organize a coup, or protests in the streets, and then move their troops in to "maintain stability" or some such? Saudi send APCs and troops to Bahrain during protests there, though with the permission of Bahrain's rulers.

Just a general question to the thread: what does KSA do if, after 10 days, Qatar hasn't met their demands? Doing nothing makes them look weak. Do they have other non-violent ways of exerting pressure? Maybe ejecting Qatar from the GCC? Maybe my mistake is thinking they actually have a plan.

Last I heard, there would be "unspecified consequences".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Count Roland posted:

idk. maybe. i think they will try to starve them/no fly zone and then(probaly not but who knows in these times espcialy with trump) try to invade when they have all their GCC friends in row.

Sinteres posted:

It might not win them any popularity contests, but if the worst jihadist groups did was ban alcohol, I think I could find a way to live with that. The quote Volkerball posted earlier about waiting until the revolution was dead to embrace it was really good though.

true. but the revolution weirdly might not be dead yet. it seems trump or at least the military and their neo con friends are still pushing for fighting assad or more importantly to them iran.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Elyv posted:

Last I heard, there would be "unspecified consequences".

I think Qatar will call their bluff and SA will eat poo poo. Christ, they're not going invade ala Saddam. They're hoping that the blockade is enough of a stick, and it appears so far that Qatar is getting by ok regardless, and in fact is quite defiant in the face of this aggression.

I wonder if the inevitable failure of this ploy will cause the Allegiance Council to reconsider the status of the new crown prince.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Count Roland posted:

1 Suppress all publications which "incite hatred and contempt of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy" and are "directed against its territorial integrity".

2 Dissolve the Serbian nationalist organisation Narodna Odbrana ("The People's Defense") and all other such societies in Serbia.

3 Eliminate without delay from schoolbooks and public documents all "propaganda against Austria-Hungary".

4 Remove from the Serbian military and civil administration all officers and functionaries whose names the Austro-Hungarian Government will provide.

5 Accept in Serbia "representatives of the Austro-Hungarian Government" for the "suppression of subversive movements".

6 Bring to trial all accessories to the Archduke's assassination and allow "Austro-Hungarian delegates" (law enforcement officers) to take part in the investigations.

7 Arrest Major Vojislav Tankosić and civil servant Milan Ciganović who were named as participants in the assassination plot.

8 Cease the cooperation of the Serbian authorities in the "traffic in arms and explosives across the frontier"; dismiss and punish the officials of Šabac and Loznica frontier service, "guilty of having assisted the perpetrators of the Sarajevo crime".

9 Provide "explanations" to the Austro-Hungarian Government regarding "Serbian officials" who have expressed themselves in interviews "in terms of hostility to the Austro-Hungarian Government".

10 Notify the Austro-Hungarian Government "without delay" of the execution of the measures comprised in the ultimatum.

I had the excact same deja vu.

What's quite interesting is that the real deal breaker wasn't 1. and 3. but point 6.
Supressing media they were ok with but involving Austrian agents in their internal affairs was the real dealbreaker as far as I remember reading(which could also be touching point 5.)

I think loosing such a large actor in the media diversity(even with its faults*) is the worst outcome out of all of this, but also something I think has precedence to be likely.

*I would like some points on the merits of Al-Jazeera and its editorial freedom.

I remember long ago someone said on this thread that the Arabic language version are uses a different tone in certain subjects then the English/international one.

I also don't disspute that AJ shys away from Quatar criticism.

I would like some nuanced points about this, i think its very important because what we have now is something really terrible. Autocrats trying to silence media discourse.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think Qatar will call their bluff and SA will eat poo poo. Christ, they're not going invade ala Saddam. They're hoping that the blockade is enough of a stick, and it appears so far that Qatar is getting by ok regardless, and in fact is quite defiant in the face of this aggression.

I wonder if the inevitable failure of this ploy will cause the Allegiance Council to reconsider the status of the new crown prince.

Yeah I wonder what bit of palace politics inspired this move.

The WW1 parallels are interesting though. I'm sure the invading Saudi troops (should it go that way) will totally be home by Christmas.

54.4 crowns posted:

I would like some nuanced points about this, i think its very important because what we have now is something really terrible. Autocrats trying to silence media discourse.

My :tinfoil: part of me thinks going after Al Jazeera is one of the reasons the white house is backing them on this. I know that network isn't as popular as it used to be in the west but since Trump can't silence the media here he might as well go after easier targets abroad.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 23, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

It would be cool if Qatar invited more NATO countries like France to join the Turkish troops as peacekeepers.

Well there are currently a lot of Qatari pilots and mechanics who are guests of the ETR 3/4 "Aquitaine" squadron at St. Dizier, learning how to fly and maintain France's finest war machine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah I wonder what bit of palace politics inspired this move.

The WW1 parallels are interesting though. I'm sure the invading Saudi troops (should it go that way) will totally be home by Christmas.

My :tinfoil: part of me thinks going after Al Jazeera is one of the reasons the white house is backing them on this. I know that network isn't as popular as it used to be in the west but since Trump can't silence the media here he might as well go after easier targets abroad.

my worry is that just like world war one, it will explode outward. i doubt iran and turkey would take it lying down and who knows what russia will do. yeah its clancy poo poo but who knows anymore.

also i doubt it with trump. they probably had some models gently caress him after driving him around their gilded palaces.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

How long until they blame Qatar?

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/878336710517571584

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Reports also indicating that Qatar-backed militants have set the Reichstag on fire

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Saudi Arabia isn't just demanding that Qatar shut down al-Jazeera. They're demanding Qatar shut down all Qatari funded media.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sergg posted:

Saudi Arabia isn't just demanding that Qatar shut down al-Jazeera. They're demanding Qatar shut down all Qatari funded media.

yeah. they want qatar to become a vassel state and i doubt qatar is going to go through with any of them except for maybe say they "stopped funding" terrorists.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

List of demands via The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/close-al-jazeera-saudi-arabia-issues-qatar-with-13-demands-to-end-blockade

1) Curb diplomatic ties with Iran and close its diplomatic missions there. Expel members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and cut off any joint military cooperation with Iran. Only trade and commerce with Iran that complies with US and international sanctions will be permitted.

2) Sever all ties to “terrorist organisations”, specifically the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic State, al-Qaida and Lebanon’s Hezbollah. Formally declare those entities as terrorist groups.

3) Shut down al-Jazeera and its affiliate stations.

4) Shut down news outlets that Qatar funds, directly and indirectly, including Arabi21, Rassd, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed and Middle East Eye.

5) Immediately terminate the Turkish military presence in Qatar and end any joint military cooperation with Turkey inside Qatar.

6) Stop all means of funding for individuals, groups or organisations that have been designated as terrorists by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt, Bahrain, the US and other countries.

7) Hand over “terrorist figures” and wanted individuals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain to their countries of origin. Freeze their assets, and provide any desired information about their residency, movements and finances.

8) End interference in sovereign countries’ internal affairs. Stop granting citizenship to wanted nationals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Revoke Qatari citizenship for existing nationals where such citizenship violates those countries’ laws.

9) Stop all contacts with the political opposition in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Hand over all files detailing Qatar’s prior contacts with and support for those opposition groups.

10) Pay reparations and compensation for loss of life and other, financial losses caused by Qatar’s policies in recent years. The sum will be determined in coordination with Qatar.

11) Consent to monthly audits for the first year after agreeing to the demands, then once per quarter during the second year. For the following 10 years, Qatar would be monitored annually for compliance.

12) Align itself with the other Gulf and Arab countries militarily, politically, socially and economically, as well as on economic matters, in line with an agreement reached with Saudi Arabia in 2014.

13) Agree to all the demands within 10 days of it being submitted to Qatar, or the list becomes invalid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sergg posted:

List of demands via The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/close-al-jazeera-saudi-arabia-issues-qatar-with-13-demands-to-end-blockade

1) Curb diplomatic ties with Iran and close its diplomatic missions there. Expel members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and cut off any joint military cooperation with Iran. Only trade and commerce with Iran that complies with US and international sanctions will be permitted.

2) Sever all ties to “terrorist organisations”, specifically the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic State, al-Qaida and Lebanon’s Hezbollah. Formally declare those entities as terrorist groups.

3) Shut down al-Jazeera and its affiliate stations.

4) Shut down news outlets that Qatar funds, directly and indirectly, including Arabi21, Rassd, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed and Middle East Eye.

5) Immediately terminate the Turkish military presence in Qatar and end any joint military cooperation with Turkey inside Qatar.

6) Stop all means of funding for individuals, groups or organisations that have been designated as terrorists by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt, Bahrain, the US and other countries.

7) Hand over “terrorist figures” and wanted individuals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain to their countries of origin. Freeze their assets, and provide any desired information about their residency, movements and finances.

8) End interference in sovereign countries’ internal affairs. Stop granting citizenship to wanted nationals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Revoke Qatari citizenship for existing nationals where such citizenship violates those countries’ laws.

9) Stop all contacts with the political opposition in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Hand over all files detailing Qatar’s prior contacts with and support for those opposition groups.

10) Pay reparations and compensation for loss of life and other, financial losses caused by Qatar’s policies in recent years. The sum will be determined in coordination with Qatar.

11) Consent to monthly audits for the first year after agreeing to the demands, then once per quarter during the second year. For the following 10 years, Qatar would be monitored annually for compliance.

12) Align itself with the other Gulf and Arab countries militarily, politically, socially and economically, as well as on economic matters, in line with an agreement reached with Saudi Arabia in 2014.

13) Agree to all the demands within 10 days of it being submitted to Qatar, or the list becomes invalid.

yep, its totatly the "lets provoke them into a war" type of demands.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
When even Boris Johnson thinks you should take a more "measured and realistic" approach to negotiations, you know you're being a loon

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
We'll be home by Eid, lads

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/878419348410572800

quote:

The United States has told Turkey it will take back weapons supplied to the Kurdish YPG militia in northern Syria after the defeat of Islamic State, Ankara said on Thursday, seeking to address Turkish concerns about arming Kurds on its border.

Turkish defense ministry sources said U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis also promised his Turkish counterpart to provide a monthly list of weapons handed to the YPG, saying the first inventory had already been sent to Ankara.

Can anyone really be falling for this?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I doubt either Erdogan or Mattis believes this will be foolproof, but some attempt is probably better than nothing. Nobody thinks the IRA turned in all their weapons in Ireland, or that FARC has turned in every single weapon in Colombia either, but that doesn't mean the peace accords were worthless in either case. Obviously all bets are off if the US just walks away and Turkey and the YPG are in open conflict at the end of all of this, but if some sort of security agreement is in place, and is predicated on the YPG handing back at least some significant fraction of these weapons, it could actually be somewhat workable. I guess we'll see.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

if we get 30% back we are lucky. 30% to casualty, 10% to loss via bm sales, 20% to iran. 10% broken poo poo missing poo poo. wait till we see a 5.62

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It seems a bit early to publicly announce their desire to stab the YPG in the back tbh.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

It's also silly as apparently the US wants to use them for their ends, and expects them to disarm against a clearly aggressive Turkey. If this is the cost for calling off the forecasted attack against Afrin Canton, I suppose they might play along. It would mean they rely on a US supporting/defending them against Turkey. I would rather have the concrete certainty of weapons frankly.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Coldwar timewarp posted:

It's also silly as apparently the US wants to use them for their ends, and expects them to disarm against a clearly aggressive Turkey. If this is the cost for calling off the forecasted attack against Afrin Canton, I suppose they might play along. It would mean they rely on a US supporting/defending them against Turkey. I would rather have the concrete certainty of weapons frankly.

Sandwiched between Assad on the one hand and Turkey on the other, those weapons won't do them much good in the long run if the US guarantee isn't credible. They picked a horse, and it still seems to me like their best option is to ride it out, while hedging with Russia and Assad as side bets.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Some guy tried to terror attack Mecca but was foiled and blew himself up:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/24/saudi-security-foils-terror-plot-targeting-mecca-grand-mosque

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Isn't this just more American doubletalk to the Turks? There's been a lot of lip service before, maybe none of that will even happen

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Isn't this just more American doubletalk to the Turks? There's been a lot of lip service before, maybe none of that will even happen

I doubt Mattis is straight up lying about his intentions, but there's a lot that could happen between now and then. Whether he means it to be conditional or not, it is.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Here's the catch: The US will never determine that Islamic State is "truly" defeated :smuggo:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Here's the catch: The US will never determine that Islamic State is "truly" defeated :smuggo:

He's waiting until Erdogan's reforms all go through and then it'll be we never said "which" Islamic state...

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

"The lesson of this war is that the IS was within us all along"

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/is_fighters

Interesting stuff

e:

"Identifying all the men in the photographs has proved impossible. IS fighters use noms de guerre, but there was another factor at play.

As one member of the Mosul's special forces team explains, "When IS came they were children, we don't recognise them as men."

Grim

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/878421394681364480

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

54.4 crowns posted:

I had the excact same deja vu.

What's quite interesting is that the real deal breaker wasn't 1. and 3. but point 6.
Supressing media they were ok with but involving Austrian agents in their internal affairs was the real dealbreaker as far as I remember reading(which could also be touching point 5.)

Yeah I think even then their response was along the lines of "we're looking into the legal issues of having Austro-Hungarian agents involved in our trials" instead of outright rejection. But the answer was still "not good enough it's war gently caress you."

Tragically, the one person in the Austro-Hungarian government who had both the power and will to oppose the war was...Archduke Ferdinand. I think a similar situation exists in Saudi Arabia where the old crown prince got replaced in favor of one that supports all this stupid poo poo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Could have been foiled better, though:

quote:

The blast partially collapsed the building where he had taken refuge, injuring six pilgrims, Turki said.

He added that four had already been released from hospital, and five security men were also slightly hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

El Disco posted:

Yeah I think even then their response was along the lines of "we're looking into the legal issues of having Austro-Hungarian agents involved in our trials" instead of outright rejection. But the answer was still "not good enough it's war gently caress you."

Tragically, the one person in the Austro-Hungarian government who had both the power and will to oppose the war was...Archduke Ferdinand. I think a similar situation exists in Saudi Arabia where the old crown prince got replaced in favor of one that supports all this stupid poo poo.

To be "fair". The old crown prince was like 80 and was probably suffering from dementia. So the new prick had been ruling for a while now. Which is why they are starving Yemen to death.

• Locked thread