Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rick posted:

If they're making a push for Lebron, having Chris Paul would have to make them the non-Cavs favorites. They have no way of getting to a max at all without one of those guys leaving.

This coming from the guy who did such a good job of being a leader he had to kindly be asked to go back into retirement during his comeback.

Hahaha what a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

How's that going to work exactly?

Gingerly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

If they're making a push for Lebron, having Chris Paul would have to make them the non-Cavs favorites. They have no way of getting to a max at all without one of those guys leaving.

This coming from the guy who did such a good job of being a leader he had to kindly be asked to go back into retirement during his comeback.

It is a real trip to realize it was extremely possible for the Lakers to have had Shaq and Magic on the team at the same time

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Metapod posted:

I don't know who this is nor do I care cause it's speculation season baby!
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/878369834718777345
Blake is me

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Glumslinger posted:

It is a real trip to realize it was extremely possible for the Lakers to have had Shaq and Magic on the team at the same time

And baby Kobe. The biggest trip for me with the Lakers is Wilt could have been a bench player for Showtime.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Signing derrick rose is like step 2 of the downfall of a franchise. Step 1 was signing LMA

fuckin a

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I feel bad for the Spurs, because their plan to destroy GSW with size and midrange jumpers was revealed, and then Kawhi was injured by warriors' mole David Lee.

They're going to bring in Derrick Rose to mentor Derrick White, trade for Derrick Williams, Derrick Favors, and to complete the all Derrick squad:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Da Rick Squad

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also LMA deleted a tweet that said he was happy to join the spurs
https://twitter.com/caseykeirnan/status/878364807270985728
dude is salty af when he has no one to blame but himself

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
shea's gonna be so happy

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
hmm, i just had a thought about all the danny green/lma trade rumors

cp3 and blake opted out of their contracts and people are saying the clippers won't want to pay redick.

my guess is cp3 resigns for the SUPERmax but griffin might be outta there along with jj

that leaves a big hole in the PF and SG positions and the cap space to absorb danny and lma and not have to go full rebuild which might scare off cp3

does this all make sense and can it work?

edit: maybe a sign and trade with cp3? but that goes against the whole "no rebuild" argument and the spurs need big men, especially if aldridge leaves

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 24, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Away all Goats posted:

Also LMA deleted a tweet that said he was happy to join the spurs
https://twitter.com/caseykeirnan/status/878364807270985728
dude is salty af when he has no one to blame but himself

He's done this everywhere he's been from high school on. I think he's got a problem.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's done this everywhere he's been from high school on. I think he's got a problem.

yeah, he's a total bitch

i'm fine with him staying since he'll have to put up numbers anyway considering its a contract year for him, but i'd be happier with him leaving

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Spurs fans insistence on blowing up a real good team for no reason is perplexing.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Spurs fans insistence on blowing up a real good team for no reason is perplexing.

no one deletes a tweet about the spurs

he drew first blood

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I do wonder about that team-that-never-was. In another world where Magic clicks with the young Lakers, add Shaq and maybe he's the veteran leadership that actually makes that team work and not kind of be pretty good but not great until Phil Jackson arrives.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ahh I'm pages behind I wonder if PG or Hayyyyyyward got moved yet but I just gotta post first

My opinion: Selling a pick is a mistake. It might be an almost-unavoidable mistake, but it's always a mistake. It's giving up an asset to your opponents for no gain, which is a loss.

Acquiring a random dude you know nothing about who you can try out on your G-League team is better than selling a pick. Trading it for a future second rounder to some team that wants a pick right now is better. If you can't find a single person in the world worth drafting for a tryout it's a failure of your scouts. If you can't trade a 2nd round pick for even a heavily-protected 2nd round pick it's a failure of your front office (If you collect enough of those you'll eventually be able to 2-for1 them to move up a few slots). Teams print money, and winning accelerates their printing speed. Short-term financial gain is extremely dumb for an NBA team.

There is no way in which selling a pick is not an error.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jae Chowdah is now SAS canon

thought it would be the status quo after he was traded to ol beantown but it didn't work then it probably won't stick now eh

RCarr posted:

French Frank and Kris Taps are gonna be a fearsome duo, I tell you what.

HELL YEAH

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

The team has pretty significant holes, not sure there's that much to blow up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ammanas posted:

The team has pretty significant holes, not sure there's that much to blow up

They were probably the second best team in the West. Possibly could have won it all if not for some bad luck.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
They were not going to beat the Warriors, that's a preposterous fantasy, and they wouldn't have beat the Cavs either

Also that wasn't bad luck, pachulia did that poo poo on purpose

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

He also deleted a tweet where he says Subway is better than Five Guys

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ammanas posted:

They were not going to beat the Warriors, that's a preposterous fantasy, and they wouldn't have beat the Cavs either

Also that wasn't bad luck, pachulia did that poo poo on purpose

Nah they could have beaten the Warriors. Would they have? Who knows but either way you don't blow up a team that good for no reason. As they are at worst the third best team in the league

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

vaginal facsimile posted:

He also deleted a tweet where he says Subway is better than Five Guys

Well he's finally come to his senses.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

EvanTH posted:

There is no way in which selling a pick is not an error.

There taking the money and donating it to help cure malaria in sub-Sahara Africa

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
athletes doing twitter stuff like that is perplexing to me because one of my first expenditures after getting a contract would be paying some nerd $500/month to retweet inspirational crap and put the whole drat thing on autopilot. what's the point of being rich if you still have to use social media with the serfs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

without the injuries to parker and kawhi the spurs were way better than the cavs last year and could have beaten the warriors.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

athletes doing twitter stuff like that is perplexing to me because one of my first expenditures after getting a contract would be paying some nerd $500/month to retweet inspirational crap and put the whole drat thing on autopilot.

what if you were president of the united states

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

without the injuries to parker and kawhi the spurs were way better than the cavs last year and could have beaten the warriors.

They would have won game 1 but they were not winning 4 games

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Maybe not. I am 100% confident they do better than the Cavs and if they did make the finals would have been probably 70/30 favorites. I do not think the Cavs would have made the WCF were they in that conference.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Metapod posted:

They were dominating game 1 so I don't think it's fair to discount them based on the info we have.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
As a Spurs fan the Cavs and the east aren't even a calculation. Real finals run through the WCF unless draymond gets suspended

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
ZogoPostin'

Niwrad posted:

I hope this becomes the new 20 pounds of muscle in the offseason.

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/878342645252321280

lol I yearn for the day when players can jump so high that the resulting plunge is guaranteed death, like Derrick Rose's career but in one play, NBA Jam style

MourningView posted:

The players are obviously going to say this so I'm not gonna get on Fultz, but it'll be really funny when people actually predict this. They're gonna be bad. The three centerpieces of the team are a rookie they just drafted, another rookie who just missed the entire season with an injury and is potentially playing a brand new position (they may rethink that with Fultz, I dunno), and a center with a long injury history who has played like 30 games in 3 years. People always want these super young teams to be good before they are. Look at Minnesota last year, when everyone had them as a playoff team. Don't confuse "promising" with "actually good"

Ring Ding Ding that's a YUP right there. This guy right here, he watches basketball

For example, Antetokounmpo has been playing at an MVP level for 5 years now and this coming season might be the first chance the Bucks have to make it into the second round.

Jack's Flow posted:

I hope Hawks fans are ready for the Dennis Schröder era.*

*There are no Hawks fans.

I'm going on maybe three years saying this is the season Schroder is going to really show the league what he can do, but I think this is going to be the season where Schroder really shows the league what he can do. He still has all-star potential in my dumb book, aka THE HOLY BIBLE don't knock it

Cool Buff Man posted:

Now you've done it

Metapod posted:

scotty is actually quite good

lol

DeimosRising posted:

All the players and coaches should be mummified and buried beneath the obelisk

Bury LeBron like a Pharaoh--along with his essential roleplayers, regardless of whether or not they still live

Dejan Bimble posted:

Look at that smooth skin and that nice part

Cool Buff Man posted:

He does have really nice skin compared to the jokers you see coming up nowadays

One of the many advantages of entering the league at age 25 instead of age 19! Also apparently the bad GMs mistakenly think you're a good young prospect

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Gingerly

haha, nice

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Why must you crush my dreams Feldman!

https://sports.yahoo.com/paul-george-gordon-hayward-celtics-185024671.html

quote:

Paul George-Gordon Hayward-Celtics rumor doesn’t add up

Here’s a representation of how much George could earn by:

Letting his contract expire and re-signing (green)
Letting his contract expire and signing elsewhere (purple)
Getting traded and signing an extension six months later (gray)
Signing an extend-and-trade (yellow)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Just when you think the lord god has abandoned us to 4 years of darkness, just when hope was all but extinguished. God sends you a sign that lets you know "Everything's gonna be alright". Praise Be!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/878460045666779136

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
^^^ that's a fine throw, he used the Pac-Man screen recursion trick to get it right back into the strike zone

Niwrad posted:

Luol Deng spent his offseasons bringing clean water to poor people in Africa and this is how the Bulls treated him.

From the Hawk's scouting report:

"Deng's a good guy overall, but he's not perfect. He's got some African in him. And I don't say that in a bad way, but it's highly likely he'll die from a treatable disease."

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Danny Ainge right now " I KNEW IT"

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Derrick Rose made actual real concrete improvement in his play at the end of last season.

He could be useful if that's real. I have my doubts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

vaginal facsimile posted:

There taking the money and donating it to help cure malaria in sub-Sahara Africa

hahah I can't even imagine that obese fish of a human doing something positive for his fellow man

• Locked thread