Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A correct cartoon.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why does Pope occasionally draw Bill Shorten with a Bill and other times he doesn't? Is it supposed to be a lame duck joke or is it just Bill for being called Bill?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All in all though I'd rather just not have the flying rape goblins

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Anidav posted:

Why does Pope occasionally draw Bill Shorten with a Bill and other times he doesn't? Is it supposed to be a lame duck joke or is it just Bill for being called Bill?
I suspect these days it's part the pun and that Shorten looks a bit like he should have a bill. However the earliest example I can find in a quick search in Google has the first Duck Shorten being part of a series that progressed involving ministers in bathtubs:

(there are more, this is a sample)

Duck Shorten:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bullshit trick question ghost, gently caress off.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

God hates black people.
Specifically through his agents on earth, the GOP and police.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Days of Zelda Past:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really like the fact that Zelda is kind of obnoxious as a person. It turns the story from a Mary Sue who is always correct and everyone should listen to, to a slice of life story of a somewhat annoying, but sort of realistic dork.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Alhazred posted:

Days of Zelda Past:

monogamy sucks i agree

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Been lurking both this and the British cartoons thread recently. Why is it that American political cartoons (either left or right) are so much worse than British in almost every way? Not funny, lazy art, over labeling, obvious and not-clever concepts.

Really 90% of British cartoons are just May looking like poo poo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Despera posted:

Really 90% of British cartoons are just May looking like poo poo
Which cartoonist is it whose work is like 90% May about to walk off a cliff?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Corbyn looking like an idiot, May as a melting crone and maybe boris's hair consuming him is literally every '17 british political cartoon.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Yeah, I feel like it was a bit more creative during the Cameron era with Condom Cameron and the economic recovery sloth. Maybe they're just burnt out.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Next you'll be telling me they have better teeth

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
And he'll going to poo poo out jobs for everyone! The system works!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Vib Rib posted:

Which cartoonist is it whose work is like 90% May about to walk off a cliff?

Bell's done a lot of those recently, but in fairness "cliff-edge Brexit" is a term some papers use.

:britain:

Observer:

"Theresa May begins Britain's withdrawal from the EU – Chris Riddell on the start of Brexit negotiations, one year on from the referendum"

Sunday Telegraph:

Hundreds evacuated from London tower blocks over fears of Grenfell repeat

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Despera posted:

Next you'll be telling me they have better teeth
Is that a thing actual people (rather than say, old fossils doing political cartoons) actually believe? That anyone in a first world country has worse healthcare (that is, dental care) than americans?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Xander77 posted:

Is that a thing actual people (rather than say, old fossils doing political cartoons) actually believe? That anyone in a first world country has worse healthcare (that is, dental care) than americans?

Only about Britain.

It's a relic of the fact that American media went vastly overboard with "white, perfectly straight teeth are the only thing acceptable in movies and television", and so British actors and celebrities had weird, crooked, yellowish teeth in comparison (I.e., because they were normal people) so obviously Brits have awful teeth period.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the tory papers really want to see may gone

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sandpuppy posted:

Good work is in high demand.

Corey Stoll (who acted in the play) posted:

After four weeks in the rehearsal room, we moved to the theater and I saw Caesar’s Trump-like costume and wig for the first time. I was disappointed by the literal design choice. I had little fear of offending people, but I worried that the nuanced character work we had done in the rehearsal room would get lost in what could seem like a Saturday Night Live skit. I was right and wrong. Audiences did laugh at Caesar, in an explosive, hungry way that shocked us with its intensity, but when it came time for the assassination scene, they lost their nerve. In early previews, isolated audience members would scoff or even applaud during the bloody, awkward, and ugly assassination scene. Two weeks in, once we refined our performances to neutralize the laughter, you could hear a pin drop. By then, I better understood Eustis’s decision to be so literal in making Caesar Trump. A nontrivial percentage of our liberal audience had fantasized about undemocratic regime change in Washington. Acted out to its logical conclusion, that fantasy was hideous, shameful, and self-defeating.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A bit back, but this cartoon and the mentality of "the first president to actually do what he says" is maddening. There is reason he lost the popular vote! So it shouldn't be a surprise when people are mad when Trump does what he said he's gonna do.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Kurtofan posted:

they're terrified of a snap election with her as leader - they want the knives out ASAP just in case

the contenders themselves are more hesitant, mostly because it's such a poisoned chalice.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In 20 or 30 years people will pay good money for access to a place completely blank like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7YMI39sObY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u54Xs22_SI

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

If an election happens before she's disposed, they're hosed. She's cocked everything up and is looking worse by the day. Their best hope is to switch her out with someone who can either hold a DUP coalition together or can win a snap election. But as above, the Tory frontrunners know that it's stepping onto a landmine with the article 50 deadline in 2 years.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

If an election happens before she's disposed, they're hosed. She's cocked everything up and is looking worse by the day. Their best hope is to switch her out with someone who can either hold a DUP coalition together or can win a snap election. But as above, the Tory frontrunners know that it's stepping onto a landmine with the article 50 deadline in 2 years.

Even if she does, shes the last high ranking tory that had public appeal.
The rest have all hosed it up for themselves in some way or another.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Self-explanatory

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

quote:

A nontrivial percentage of our liberal audience had fantasized about undemocratic regime change in Washington. Acted out to its logical conclusion, that fantasy was hideous, shameful, and self-defeating.

Maybe it is in fact you, the left, who are the REAL fascists :grin:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Self-explanatory

Yeah, but if the court had found that you can not copyright offensive trademarks that wouldn't stop the Redskins from using their name or logo. It would just mean that others could use it too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"People who like fun things are dumb and you should think so too." - :tinsley:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

"People who like fun things are dumb and you should think so too." - :tinsley:

That's referring to Starbuck's unicorn drink, right? I thought the delay was weeks not months.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, but if the court had found that you can not copyright offensive trademarks that wouldn't stop the Redskins from using their name or logo. It would just mean that others could use it too.

I'm sure they'd change it real fast once they couldn't profit off it anymore, because lol at anyone spending 100 bucks plus for a jersey that can now be legally knocked off for 10.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's referring to Starbuck's unicorn drink, right? I thought the delay was weeks not months.

Burger King made one too. A unicorn Shake.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Electric Phantasm posted:

A bit back, but this cartoon and the mentality of "the first president to actually do what he says" is maddening. There is reason he lost the popular vote! So it shouldn't be a surprise when people are mad when Trump does what he said he's gonna do.
Also he's not even actually doing what he says, even if that was desirable. There's plenty of things he promised that he didn't deliver on.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Xen Tricks posted:

Maybe it is in fact you, the left, who are the REAL fascists :grin:
Seems like Stoll is drawing the opposite conclusion as you, since he points out that liberals in the audience were horrified to see "undemocratic regime change" acted out in front of them. Presumably fascists would have been happy to see the enemy deposed via stabbing.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

T. Bombastus posted:

Seems like Stoll is drawing the opposite conclusion as you, since he points out that liberals in the audience were horrified to see "undemocratic regime change" acted out in front of them. Presumably fascists would have been happy to see the enemy deposed via stabbing.

That's not what I'm getting from the piece, like, at all. More like liberals who would have been happy to see Trump's stabbing (and therefore be wrong) have now seen the light thanks to ~acting~ and are now terrified of violence (and therefore right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

That's not what I'm getting from the piece, like, at all. More like liberals who would have been happy to see Trump's stabbing (and therefore be wrong) have now seen the light thanks to ~acting~ and are now terrified of violence (and therefore right).
That's a more sinister interpretation than he meant I'd have to think given his words, he's just saying that when it was cartoony violence against an unpopular target people cheered but then, when faced with a more realistic depiction of violence, even against someone they didn't like, people got understandably upset.

Because for decent people that's how it works: we can have our guilty pleasure thoughts of revenge or brutal justice but, when it comes right down to it, we'd jump on the KKK member to keep him from being beaten to death by a mob.

• Locked thread