Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't finished but Bill Koch seems like Satan himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just watched Sour Grapes, I loved that the defense was basically shrugging and saying "hey cmon guys, it's just wine"

I also laughed at the investigator drinking a beer at the end

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah GLOW is really good so far.

Everything about it is good, except seeing Alison Brie naked so much. She's like the universal little sister, and I never want to see my little sister bang one of the jerkoffs from Mad Men. Again, I mean.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mysterious frankie posted:

Everything about it is good, except seeing Alison Brie naked so much.

That literally only happens once in the whole series :confused:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Everything about it is good, except seeing Alison Brie naked so much. She's like the universal little sister, and I never want to see my little sister bang one of the jerkoffs from Mad Men. Again, I mean.
Whatsa matta you? Eh?!

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

precision posted:

That literally only happens once in the whole series :confused:

It definitely happens more than once, but it's not like it's a recurring thing, yeah.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I was mainly making a joke about how weird it is to see Brie naked, so I don't need a definitive tit count or anything.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

I was mainly making a joke about how weird it is to see Brie naked, so I don't need a definitive tit count or anything.
Mods change this guy's username to definitive tit count

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Nah, new thread title. Need a definitive tit count on what I'm streaming

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd never heard of Allison Brie but I'm pretty ok with her being naked on Glow tbh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished sour grapes.

I don't think there is anyone on earth more full of poo poo than wine snobs. It's a real shame he didn't get away with it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

We try not to sexualize her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Finished sour grapes.

I don't think there is anyone on earth more full of poo poo than wine snobs. It's a real shame he didn't get away with it.

My favorite part is how transparently being a "wine collector" is a cover for "getting shitfaced 24/7"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It looks so authentically 80s. Like not just the costumes and set details, but it's like they put some kind of harsh 80s filter over everything. I don't know if it's just lighting and filmstock or what, but I've never seen that look replicated in quite that way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

My favorite part is how transparently being a "wine collector" is a cover for "getting shitfaced 24/7"

Yeah. Also, My favorite was the younger guy that is riding around in the limo. Everything about him reeked of redpill dork that watched too much mad men. You aren't fooling anyone man.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. Also, My favorite was the younger guy that is riding around in the limo. Everything about him reeked of redpill dork that watched too much mad men. You aren't fooling anyone man.

The younger of the 2 that had a driver while day drinking? Both of them were the loving worst.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

business hammocks posted:

It looks so authentically 80s. Like not just the costumes and set details, but it's like they put some kind of harsh 80s filter over everything. I don't know if it's just lighting and filmstock or what, but I've never seen that look replicated in quite that way.

I was thinking the same thing. I think a lot of it is lighting. And Maron's 'stache.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Glow is great, and I had a huge grin on my face during the entire season finale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

The younger of the 2 that had a driver while day drinking? Both of them were the loving worst.

Yeah that guy.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't finished but Bill Koch seems like Satan himself.

I barely know who he is but he seemed like a sweet old man billionaire. And when he was standing next to the guy in his wine cellar he looked 9 feet tall.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Best part of Sour Grapes for me was the Steve Bannon/hobo looking guy insisting his fake wines were real and the one dude just straight up saying it's garbage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I barely know who he is but he seemed like a sweet old man billionaire. And when he was standing next to the guy in his wine cellar he looked 9 feet tall.

He is one of the Koch brothers, although I don't think he's one of the more infamously evil ones. He also built a full scale replica old west town not far from where I live, just for himself and doesn't let anyone else go there it's just for him :lol:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

veni veni veni posted:

He is one of the Koch brothers, although I don't think he's one of the more infamously evil ones. He also built a full scale replica old west town not far from where I live, just for himself and doesn't let anyone else go there it's just for him :lol:

How Cartmen-esque

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm glad Netflix has a solid new lady-centric show with GLOW, seeing as OITNB has hit trash tier TV.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

He is one of the Koch brothers, although I don't think he's one of the more infamously evil ones.

Charles and David are the ones who are evil personified, though Bill is still staunchly Republican and donated to some pretty awful PACs.

The funny thing is that Bill is estranged from Charles and David because of a dispute over -- what else -- money. When they're all worth billions upon billions of dollars.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I didn't realize it until just now, but the director of the excellent Don't Call Me Son was also behind one of my favorite films of 2015, The Second Mother/When Is She Coming Back? (the latter being the more accurately translated, better title).

Both of these are really good. I caught Don't Call Me Son streaming on Netflix, but you can find both just about anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHHvptOW774

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5WzbcjBQtE

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Yaws posted:

People who spend 10k on a bottle of wine deserve to get defrauded. I hope he personally pissed in every single bottle he sold.
The Freakonomics guys had an episode on their podcast about wine snobbery, iirc. The dude who told the story was from some snobby ivy league school and attended cheese and wine tastings which were a regular thing in his fraternity, so one day he took some expensively-labeled bottles and filled them with two-buck-chuck, and everybody talked about how awesome the wine was. Then he revealed what he'd done to them, and got kicked out and never reinvited. :laugh:

edit: thinking back, it Might've been Planet Money, not Frakonomics. But it was definitely one of those two v:shobon:v

So you basically only saw the first episode, got it

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 26, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

coyo7e posted:

The Freakonomics guys had an episode on their podcast about wine snobbery, iirc. The dude who told the story was from some snobby ivy league school and attended cheese and wine tastings which were a regular thing in his fraternity, so one day he took some expensively-labeled bottles and filled them with two-buck-chuck, and everybody talked about how awesome the wine was. Then he revealed what he'd done to them, and got kicked out and never reinvited. :laugh:

You can do this with everything. Snobs have no idea what they are talking about and just have a really powerful placebo effect going on. Whether it's wine or coffee or goddamn video game platforms.

I used to have a snobby roommate and I really enjoyed serving him cheap stuff he refused to touch, under the guise that it was expensive stuff and listen to him talk about how good it was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

You can do this with everything.

For example, there are only 2 flavors of Doritos.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tapatio and salt

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Spam is my favorite. "WOW this spiced ham is delicious!"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
GLOW is really good. It took me at least two episodes to recognize Allison Brie. I guess training for the role changed her appearance quite a bit

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
House of Cards season 5 reminded me of everything I hate about it. Just like in previous seasons (especially the one where Frank took out Walker) a bunch of uncontrollable stuff happens with tons of twist, and in the end they claim Frank was pulling the strings the whole time as the answer to everything. Sprinkle in some national or international crisis, conflict between Frank and Claire, a crusading reporter getting closer and closer but never getting there, sex both straight and gay, party infighting, plus murders (don't even get me started how stupid these are) and you have a season of House of Cards. House of Cards was never great TV, but lord I am unsure if I can call it good after this last season. Great acting (I love Robin Wright but I am starting to find her a little too one note on HoC), but bad writing.

It is a shame, because I thought the second half of season 4 it got better, and I thought the first couple of episodes this season were good. The election stuff was fine at first, but they let it run on way too long with an anti-climatic resolution. I think another problem Frank and Claire as bad guys you love to route for no longer plays in a Trump world. The only reason to keep watching is for Frank's sidebars with the audience and in hope they both get murdered or sent to jail for life.

Of yes GLOW is great (we watched the first 7 episodes in a row yesterday).

Steve Yun posted:

I never heard of Gilpin until American Gods and she's maybe one of the biggest scene stealers I've seen in my entire life

When I saw her in American Gods I was like where did I know her from. Took the second time she showed up to remember she was in Masters of Sex.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 26, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

Spam is my favorite. "WOW this spiced ham is delicious!"

Fried spam is delicious. You kinda have to do something to it to get rid of the canned/metallic taste, but that's easy to disguise just by cooking.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm curious how someone could ever not recognize the flavor of spam. It's iconic

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

GLOW is really good. It took me at least two episodes to recognize Allison Brie. I guess training for the role changed her appearance quite a bit

She looks like she's been on a coke bender since Community ended.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What are the highlights of Showtime streaming? I'm considering adding it on to Hulu for Twin Peaks but I'm not sure if they have anything else worth watching.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

What are the highlights of Showtime streaming? I'm considering adding it on to Hulu for Twin Peaks but I'm not sure if they have anything else worth watching.

Just look at their original series and see if they work for you. I've heard great things about I'm Dying Up Here, everyone seems to love Shameless, Ray Donovan, Billions, stuff like that.

Personally I looked into it and couldn't justify the purchase, unless you really just want to see Twin Peaks (I see it at a local theater). The movie selection looks fine, nothing outstanding or that isn't offered by another streaming service, unless you really like sports and documentaries.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Fried spam is delicious. You kinda have to do something to it to get rid of the canned/metallic taste, but that's easy to disguise just by cooking.

As a lifelong spam hater, I was surprised to find this friend spam sushi looking thing I tried at a Hawaiian restaurant last week to be delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Spam musubi is the best poo poo, absolutely.