Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Spam musubi is the best poo poo, absolutely.

yeah I don't eat meat anymore but Spam Musubi was dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't think I've ever actually seen Spam in real life before. What kind of trailer parks do you guys live in that it's actually a thing people eat.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

What are the highlights of Showtime streaming? I'm considering adding it on to Hulu for Twin Peaks but I'm not sure if they have anything else worth watching.

I also got it so I could watch Twin Peaks.

All Showtime shows have one common theme - they have an interesting enough of a premise to be good, even great, for a couple of seasons. Then they all go off the rails and turn into crap. I can't think of a single Showtime show that I've seen where this doesn't happen. So if you're going to do it, I guess the key is to find out where the turning point is, and as much as it pains you to stop watching while you're still in love with the show, just remember that whatever comes next will ruin the series for you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen Spam in real life before. What kind of trailer parks do you guys live in that it's actually a thing people eat.

Visit Hawaii. You'll see it's more than just trailer parks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Medullah posted:

Visit Hawaii. You'll see it's more than just trailer parks.

Yeah it's very big out there. One of my friends went as Spam Musubi for Halloween and was like the most popular costume everywhere he went.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Koreatown

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There's a steamed bun place near me (Brooklyn) that has done a spam + Christmas cookie butter bun. It's actually quite good!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Any must-watches on STARZ before I get rid of it for 10 months?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ash Vs. Evil Dead.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nihonniboku posted:

All Showtime shows have one common theme - they have an interesting enough of a premise to be good, even great, for a couple of seasons.

Spot on. Even Masters of Sex (which at one time I thought was great) went to complete poo poo in the end. Of course Dexter and Weeds are the greatest examples of this. I would say Homeland too, but it did get better once it left the Brody story behind (I still haven't watched this last season).

Fayez Butts posted:

You watched Spartacus, and Black Sails? I don't know if I would call those must-watches, but I find them both pretty enjoyable. I actually think Black Sails in its last 2 seasons became the best Starz has done so far. My wife loves that Ronald Moore show on there, but not this guy.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

which one is party down on, that's Starz right?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Fayez Butts posted:

American Gods

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

:ughh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

America.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

A MIRACLE posted:

which one is party down on, that's Starz right?

I take back what I said. Party Down is the best thing Starz has done. American Gods is great too, but I assumed he already watched it (reason he got Starz).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

They have a lot of good movies.

Don't Breathe, the Friday the 13th franchise, Deathproof, Idiocracy, The Shallows, Jaws, Rocky franchise, Lawrence of Arabia, Sabrina, In Bruges, Spaceballs, A League of Their Own, The Gift, Kill Bill, Planet Terror, The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses, The Magnificent Seven ('60), Even Horizon, Bad Lieutenant, The Dead Zone, Eat That Question, Ponyo, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, and I'm sure plenty of others. At least use it to watch something you've been putting off.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Fayez Butts posted:

Ash vs. The Evil Dead

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah party down rules.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Party Down is great: Adam Scott, Jane Lynch, Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, Ken Marino,... and that doesn't include a ton of great guest stars. Just an absurd amount of talent involved.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is The Big Sick going to be available on Amazon at the same time as theatres? I can't tell if it's a regular movie funded by Amazon Studios or if it's going to be one of those simultaneous releases.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Party Down is great: Adam Scott, Jane Lynch, Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, Ken Marino,... and that doesn't include a ton of great guest stars. Just an absurd amount of talent involved.
Party Down is so good that everyone got better jobs and the show died.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Looten Plunder posted:

Is The Big Sick going to be available on Amazon at the same time as theatres? I can't tell if it's a regular movie funded by Amazon Studios or if it's going to be one of those simultaneous releases.

Amazon doesn't do the Netflix style of release for movies. They do a theatrical run, a VOD exclusive window and then they add it to Prime. Size of the theater run depends on the movie. VOD exclusive window is usually 8 weeks unless it's a runaway hit like Manchester By The Sea.

It will probably be Q1 2018 until it hits Prime.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 27, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Party Down is so good that everyone got better jobs and the show died.

Yeah the entire cast just kind of blew up after the first season. i wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Ken Marino though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the entire cast just kind of blew up after the first season. i wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Ken Marino though.
For sure. He recently directed a movie about which people have... mixed things to say.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

VOD exclusive window is usually 8 weeks unless it's a runaway hit like Manchester By The Sea.

I'm assuming becoming a runaway hit makes this window longer?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ken Marino was also in that horror comedy about a poo poo monster that lives in his butt and murders his coworkers while he's asleep

it was pretty good

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Just finished GLOW. Alison Brie's tits is just about the last thing that should be complained about. I was worried about everyone not getting their moment given the large number of characters, but everyone does. There's not a lot of nuance to some of the subplots, though, and I hope that is fixed in the second season if there's one coming. Really enjoyed the hell out of this show!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Looten Plunder posted:

This is awesome, I was bummed that none of the theaters near me were going to carry this most likely.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Franchescanado posted:

They have a lot of good movies.

Don't Breathe, the Friday the 13th franchise, Deathproof, Idiocracy, The Shallows, Jaws, Rocky franchise, Lawrence of Arabia, Sabrina, In Bruges, Spaceballs, A League of Their Own, The Gift, Kill Bill, Planet Terror, The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses, The Magnificent Seven ('60), Even Horizon, Bad Lieutenant, The Dead Zone, Eat That Question, Ponyo, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, and I'm sure plenty of others. At least use it to watch something you've been putting off.

Are you the guy who wrote the algo for Netflix that recommended I watch Spirited Away based on my interest in Being John Malcovitch?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Are you the guy who wrote the algo for Netflix that recommended I watch Spirited Away based on my interest in Being John Malcovitch?

No, but both of those are good movies?

I was going to get rid of Starz recently and then found all these awesome movies to watch/rewatch. I just went through my Watch List and typed this out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Ken Marino was also in that horror comedy about a poo poo monster that lives in his butt and murders his coworkers while he's asleep

it was pretty good

I also enjoyed Bad Milo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I also enjoyed Bad Milo

It's really fun!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Ken Marino was absolutely perfect in Eastbound and Down.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He's a fantastic actor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If anyone would've blown up from The State, my money would have been on Marino, but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought I heard that Marino had a lot of personal/drug problems at some point and that's why he didn't get much work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That doesn't seem surprising, as every single person from The State seems like a massive headcase.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MacheteZombie posted:

I also enjoyed Bad Milo
This movie was so much better than I ever expected it to have a right to be. It's like Bartleby, except it all comes out of people's butts.

veni veni veni posted:

You can do this with everything. Snobs have no idea what they are talking about and just have a really powerful placebo effect going on. Whether it's wine or coffee or goddamn video game platforms.

I used to have a snobby roommate and I really enjoyed serving him cheap stuff he refused to touch, under the guise that it was expensive stuff and listen to him talk about how good it was.
I had to take coffee and tea-tasting classes when I was working as a barista back in 99-00, and I can assure you that you really honestly can taste the difference in coffee. I mean I could blind taste a coffee and tell you how it was dried, and probably what continent it came from, or if it's just cheap-rear end Folgers. My personal favorite are african coffees because they're usually dried directly on the ground, and they get a distinctly "earthy" aroma which I really enjoy, it tastes like, I dunno, red clay or something? I don't even drink coffee, but it definitely picks up very distinct notes from where and how it was grown and prepared.

But I can't tell a drat between a 5 dollar or fifty dollar bottle of wine, they both are stronger than beer and I get drunk too fast so I don't drink wine. :(

If you're a second or third generation asian-american or if you have lived in Hawaii, Spam is a special thng because it's what your family had to eat in food boxes for basically an entire (greatest) generation. Basically, because racism. Same reason we have poo poo like crab rangoon - japanese got screwed, and people took over their restaurants while they lived in concentration camps. :911:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 27, 2017

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

coyo7e posted:

If you're a second or third generation asian-american or if you have lived in Hawaii, Spam is a special thng because it's what your family had to eat in food boxes for basically an entire (greatest) generation. Basically, because racism.
This has very little to do with racism it's because of logistical simplicity. Spam and canned meat like it were sent pretty much everywhere by American armed forces during WWII because it's a pre cooked canned meat product that doesn't need refrigeration, it can be eaten cold or hot and it's cheap. Soldiers and civilians alike ate tons of it for that very reason and that's why it's still popular with campers hikers and hunters. Basically anywhere that needed large amounts of food aid during and after the war got flooded with the stuff.

fat bossy gerbil fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

WHAS First Day of Camp has some great Marino moments in it. I can't wait for the sequel. August 4th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Z3I3TDl0Q