Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

No those are just guide lights so the space air knows where to go.

How else are you going to transport your collection of 4 oversized tactical flashlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

the technical term is aether and in fact, as Newton observed, the aether must get thinner the higher you go as the currents of aether being drawn into the celestial bodies is the cause of objects to move through it in reliably downward direction ever toward the larger body, but at a rate that diminishes at distance such that the celestial bodies themselves are not drawn so much into each other that they collide.

Thus, the newtonian physics present in the game.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sarsapariller posted:

One fun thing that nobody in the community has really caught onto yet-

There was never an X million dollar spike in the funding tracker when they got this loan.

So either the funding tracker does not represent the actual funding status of CIG and they've been getting outside "Investment" for some time without telling the backers, or they're pushing the cash into the tracker bit by bit.

Bit by bit they keep undermining their own cover stories.

Who says it has to be a spike? What if it's a trickle? What if CIG is taking this 5 million dollar loan and is propping up the funding tracker by buying ships with their own money, essentially recycling backer funds into the game and parking ships bought on a virtual parking lot. The funding tracker is important because it keeps confidence high, keeps people pledging, stops people from refunding. What's to stop them? And what's to stop them from dumping them on the market for cheap when the game comes out, thus dicking over backers who plan on selling their limited availability ships on the open market.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Danknificent posted:

So I remember it was weird when one day it occurred to me that boy, we hadn't heard from Gary Oldman and Gillian and the A-List cast and all that for a long time.

And now the same thing just happened again; what happened to all the shows and streams and those shenanigans? Is that all still going on and the thread doesn't talk about it or can't be bothered to mock it anymore, or has all that quietly faded away like the A-List cast and everything else?

The loan was to pay off the A-listers before they sued RSI in open court for residuals promised to them when the game was supposed to be released in 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Krycek posted:

Doesn't Chris understand...

No.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

KawaiiAtomicBombs posted:

Don't mind if I come contribute to your misery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7vBy0rH9g

More like this please

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs posted:

More like this please

This chronicles Bootcha getting out of the project

http://vmashup.com/yE0vaKiF

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I never knew banks took stock photos with the watermark half scrubbed out as collateral. This opens up an entire new world of opertunity.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Space Crabs posted:

This chronicles Bootcha getting out of the project

http://vmashup.com/yE0vaKiF

Amazing - that was a year and a half ago

Times flies when you're rage wanking a hate boner...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

AP posted:

They can't make a game, even if the figures (which don't show refunds and don't show expenditure) were correct. You can't expect to raise millions each month on promises when it becomes obvious that it's all crap.

Even Citizens have to wake up sometime.

it's impossible to wake someone up if they're pretending to be asleep

and citizens are pretending something fierce

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Was the crowdfunding platform part of the Collateral?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Dear Mr. Coutts,

In the unthinkably unlikely event of CIG's inevitable demise, I'd thoroughly enjoy it if you sent me all of the raw footage from the "Making of Star Citizen" shooting they did at some point

Also lol

Sincerely,

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Seriously what sort of loving idiot accepted all that poo poo as collateral? What's gonna happen when they call it in, and all CIG has to present (after possibly being ordered by the courts) is something akin to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolHSTWp3w0

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
After reading about the loan thing, I was looking at the filing history for F42, and I came across something I don't understand:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/charges/AHMo7d0tVN50wGM-FC6tbyhYlss

The CH webpage says there's a negative pledge, but when I look at the pdf, section 7 has this:

which seems contradictory. So what am I missing here?

Ponzi fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 27, 2017

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ponzi posted:

After reading about the loan thing, I was looking at the filing history for F42, and I came across something I don't understand:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/charges/AHMo7d0tVN50wGM-FC6tbyhYlss

The CH webpage says there's a negative pledge, but when I look at the pdf, section 7 has this:

That after $150 million in pledges, they still have a negative cash flow?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

it's impossible to wake someone up if they're pretending to be asleep

and citizens are pretending something fierce

I think it's gradually happening, the really dumb ones on r/ds are the exception. August will be a good test as it's going to be a year since the 3.0 reveal at Gamescom and Chris Roberts must to be tempted to throw a sickie, rather than get up on that stage and spin another yarn.

3.0 is going to be like Star Marine, crap and massively overhyped.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Ponzi posted:

Yeah I spotted that too, no idea why CH says one thing and the form says otherwise, filing error maybe?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I don't think the days since last screw up got reset on the loan. Can someone hit it retroactively please.

The Titanic posted:

I think you're right on this, but I think it's also because making an FPS game is also easier than their Frankenstein space ship game. Their modder-tier programming department can handle making FPS stuff. Just copy the tutorials.
When working on a tough project we often start fiddling with stuff that is working, but could use a little unnecessary polish. We're comfortable and can tackle the important stuff tomorrow.
CIG has been doing that with 3D art for 5 years. Now the programmers can do it with Star Marine. It translates practically nothing to the main experience of Star Citizen and is one of the bigger fuckups of management in my opinion, fracturing their already thin development.

Mark Twain: “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.”

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Chalks posted:

How else are you going to transport your collection of 4 oversized tactical fleshlights.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
parp

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

starkebn posted:

I'm the engines that are hot at the intake

When CIG goes under I'm going to buy a bunch of their ship assets and duct tape these far more realistic engines to them so that people can toot around the 'verse.

Bonus gameplay mechanic: You can carry parp cans in your cargo hold and when you run out of air your commando can nipple jet outside and tape new ones on. You can then stow your used cans in your hold to take to a recycling depot, where you will earn a universal recycling deposit of 10UEC.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm assuming we will have to buy tape with game credits?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If an Old Man parps in the middle of a galaxy, does a loan get approved?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

MilesK posted:

ATV got merged with the Monthly report, so now each episode is 4 weeks of different studios listing bullet points of buzzwords. 104TC was cancelled so CR could take Ben Lesnick's role in ATV. RTV was replaced with Happy Hour, which was going to be CIG playing their pre alpha, but now it's once every 2 weeks and about whatever.

Thanks amigo

What about that full time SC streamer/rapist guy? Is he still doing his thing?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm assuming we will have to buy tape with game credits?

Oh yeah, space tape is really expensive, too. You can pay in credits in-game, of course, or you can just give me 50 cents every time you need it. I don't want people whose time is very valuable to have to grind unnecessarily.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If an Old Man parps in the middle of a galaxy, does a loan get approved?

If an actor wears a mocap suit for star citizen is the game engine suitable for it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If an actor wears a mocap suit for star citizen is the game engine suitable for it?

We'll make it suitable or die eating trying! -Chris Lesnick

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Danknificent posted:

Thanks amigo

What about that full time SC streamer/rapist guy? Is he still doing his thing?

I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific so we can narrow it down.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

radd posted:

I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific so we can narrow it down.

I think he had WTF in his name

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, in a space game that exists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PP5M2mcoco

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

lmao

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

The Titanic posted:

When I bounty hunt, I make sure as much of my body as possible is uncovered because this helps with the

masterbatory fantasies of sad shut in man children who have grown tired of jerking it to their WoW character and other NPCs

Sniping the cat tax with Lily the kitten.

Ashye fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 27, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

his nibs posted:

Meanwhile, in a space game that exists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PP5M2mcoco
Isn't this the dream of every commando, just in the wrong game? Finding alien artifacts, calling down buddies to check it out, getting into a smaller vehicle and exploring etc.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

The Titanic posted:

For the game itself you're looking at probably 300k in game art asset value. Despite multiple refactors there's really not a lot of art. There's not even enough to make a decent enough single player game with multiple unique looking levels. You've got basically really super pretty arenas and small places. They probably spent 20 million or more getting these assets, but the final stuff is not impressive, unique, and most importantly there's not a lot of it.

Programming value I'd put at around 50k. It's a mod, that doesn't work, and can't be made into a functional game without serious help. The art far outshines its programming, and this is CIGs failure.

YouTube videos I'd guess at around 8-12 million. A lot of work went into them and a lot of editing. YouTube videos also includes the dumb poo poo demos that never were anything more than videos or staged gameplay. A metric ton of work went into making it appear that there was a real game happening here.

Marketing I'd bet they are at around 5 million. Lots of dodgy stuff and secret users doing stuff and crazy websites out of thin air. This was as dodgy as the YouTube stuff.

Finally you have "useless poo poo" and fake art. Useless poo poo includes motion capture of actors, guys mopping, and other stuff so pointless that probably even with motion capture nobody had the nerve to tell Chris Roberts they could only use the data sometimes as a reference and everything still ended up keyframed mostly by hand. The majority of this is probably 100% useless like all the actors data from the very beginning of the project before literally anything was even remotely nailed down. I think the value of this data sits at around 500k, but probably cost 70-90 million to get.

I hope the post-mortem documentary can track down a couple of LA producers or editors that can explain exactly how much effort when into the youtube videos. I dunno about 8-12 million, but I certainly get the impression a professional production studio is involved.

To my knowledge Chris said every dollar goes towards making Star Citizen the BDSSE, not towards development.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Spatial posted:

Isn't this the dream of every commando, just in the wrong game? Finding alien artifacts, calling down buddies to check it out, getting into a smaller vehicle and exploring etc.

But Citizens will say 'yeah but no space legs - SC is soo much more immersive'

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

his nibs posted:

But Citizens will say 'yeah but no space legs - SC is soo much more immersive'

It's an inch wide and a bluuuughh :smug:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

This is good

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

While this game is supposed to be fidelitious, I can't help but shake the idea that within the next 50 years computers and AI will outperform dogfighting humans. Let alone 1000 years into the future?

just some random worthless thought, carry on

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mikojan posted:

While this game is supposed to be fidelitious, I can't help but shake the idea that within the next 50 years computers and AI will outperform dogfighting humans. Let alone 1000 years into the future?

Also, in 2942 there are no females except for one. Pusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Mikojan posted:

Quite possibly, but even if we achieve the Kurzweil singularity we, as a species, will never be able to automate the near impossible tasks of 'putting boxes someplace' and 'floor mopping'