Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
because Freddy has meta powers and Jason's just a super zombie. Freddy Krueger is like a force of nature, an evil god that haunts your dreams. Jason's a zombie with the awesome power of sequilitis :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I can think of a hundred ways that humanity could deal with Jason Voorhees irl. All kinds of containment options, the sky's the limit. If Freddy was real we'd be so unbelievably hosed unless he kept his operations to the small scale depicted in the movies (which seems unlikely tbqh)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

I can think of a hundred ways that humanity could deal with Jason Voorhees irl. All kinds of containment options, the sky's the limit. If Freddy was real we'd be so unbelievably hosed unless he kept his operations to the small scale depicted in the movies (which seems unlikely tbqh)

Freddy's a bigger threat to humanity at large, agreed. I thought we were talking about a 1on1 between them though. There is nothing in Freddy's bag of tricks that could put Jason down permanently, because we know of nothing from the movies that's capable of doing that. Certainly not one guy with knives on his gloves.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Jason is a vagina worm. Freddy could step on him. Game. Blouses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
jason has gone to literal hell and still come back to bother people

Phyresis posted:

the NES game has some good ideas

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Phyresis posted:

I can think of a hundred ways that humanity could deal with Jason Voorhees irl. All kinds of containment options, the sky's the limit.

For example, we could cryogenically freeze him. He wouldn't escape for hundreds of years!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Sweaters: Who Wore It Better? Pamela's "corpse grey" wool or Scary Terry's scary stripes?

codenameFANGIO posted:

For example, we could cryogenically freeze him. He wouldn't escape for hundreds of years!

Yep. Not my problem, some douchebags on a space station can dwi for all i care

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phyresis posted:

Jason is a vagina worm. Freddy could step on him. Game. Blouses.

As much as I love all the dumb poo poo in Friday 9, it really mucked with franchise continuity and plot.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Freddy v Jason is dumb because it posits that what Jason is really afraid of is water.

loving what?

That is my FvJ review.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Phyresis posted:

Sweaters: Who Wore It Better? Pamela's "corpse grey" wool or Scary Terry's scary stripes?

Yep. Not my problem, some douchebags on a space station can dwi for all i care

Why does it always come back to sex robots with you?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

joylessdivision posted:

As much as I love all the dumb poo poo in Friday 9, it really mucked with franchise continuity and plot.

i really fucken hate the climax of that movie

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There's a romhack of the F13th NES game where it's Freddy VS Jason instead, and you play as Jason instead of a counselor, and fight Freddy, and it makes the game suck a lot less when you're Jason lemme tell you

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

codenameFANGIO posted:

I mean, if the facility wasn't manned by like five dudes and a scientist and left to be forgotten it would have worked pretty drat well!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Kelp Plankton posted:

Friday the 13th: the Game: it makes the game suck a lot less when you're Jason lemme tell you

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ComposerGuy posted:

Freddy v Jason is dumb because it posits that what Jason is really afraid of is water.

loving what?

That is my FvJ review.

Only at a subconscious level. Freddy is deep in jason's psyche at that point. At the end of the movie Jason is literally walking through water carrying Freddy's head.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like to believe Jason Goes To Hell is a little over seven minutes long and the series ends with Jason being obliterated by mortar fire.

I'd honestly pay the price of admission just for that scene alone

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phyresis posted:

i really fucken hate the climax of that movie

The part where Jason gets dragged to Hell or the poo poo with the worm?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Pamela doesn't have speed in the water. Instead, she can send Jason Part 1 to a location in the water (using the Morph map interface) where he will immediately grab and drown a single swimming counselor within a certain radius of the selected location (all boats within the circular area get flipped immediately)

Danaru posted:

I like to believe Jason Goes To Hell is a little over seven minutes long and the series ends with Jason being obliterated by mortar fire.

pretty sure most of us do this, it was a short little movie but he got owned

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Pamela's in-game model is just Tiffany with the sweater on. She starts with the shotgun. Trust me, this will scare the poo poo out of you.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Going by serial killer rules: Jason kills 22 on screen. Possibly more at the party. Freddy kills 2.

Jadon wins.

Going by Olympic wrestling / fencing / boxing rules Jason lands something like 150 killing blows. Freddy lands 5 or 6.

Jason wins.

In raw Bloodsport rules, Jason is injured. Freddy is loving mutilated and beheaded.

Jason wins.

No matter how you slice it, Jason wins. They're both immortals who return from hell when they die so Freddy's wink and Jason carrying the head are meaningless. As a battle between two eternals, one of them very clearly dominated the fight.

And don't forget that bitch Freddy filling his diap when he got pulled into Crystal Lake and saw Jason standing there. Clearly Freddy feels pain and though he can't die he's genuinely terrified of his superior.

Jason wins.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Danaru posted:

The uncut version where he kills the couple in the tent is one of the best kills in the franchise.

Otherwise, yeah, gently caress that movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Plus, come on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgVu6OWZ28&t=110s

Jason won that fight. No contest.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Wow just played a game as Jason where three players stood on the roof of one of the big lodge buildings, tea-bagging. Thrilling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Wheelchair Bro was one of the rare victims who wasn't an outright jerk in the films. I support the inclusion of Wheelchair Bro

Honestly, the victims in Part 2 weren't really jerks. There was that one guy who fired a slingshot at a girl's butt and stole her clothes when she went skinny dipping, but the rest of them were just regular dudes and dudettes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

Wheelchair guy needs to use tank controls

They should let Wheelchair Guy be pushed around by other counselors, and he can use weapons while moving as long as someone else is pushing him.

In other words, shotgun drive-bys.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The one I always feel bad for is the little Asian guy from the remake. He's not bad, just a stoner, and Jason beats his sorry rear end. He really didn't deserve that.

But shortly after the Chaddest Chad gets hosed up and all is well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the crouch button just makes him do a wheelie so if you take down jason instead of teabagging you just rock the gently caress out over jason's fallen form

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The one I always feel bad for is the little Asian guy from the remake. He's not bad, just a stoner, and Jason beats his sorry rear end. He really didn't deserve that.

But shortly after the Chaddest Chad gets hosed up and all is well.

can confirm, Jason is really mean to asian stoners for some reason

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How exactly does detection work for hiding spots? A friend and I tried to do some basic testing in a private game earlier, and as far as we could tell, Jason won't see a house as red during Sense, as long as the person inside is in a hiding spot, such as under a bed. The breath holding mechanic only seemed to matter when Jason was actually in the same room as the hiding spot. Is this all correct? Does any of this change with different counsellors or Jasons? Does rage mode change things? I think we observed that, during Sense, once Jason has Rage, buildings will turn red, even if the counsellor is currently in a hiding spot, but we weren't able to confirm that.

Edit: Thanks guy.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 27, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you basically have it right. late game, sense will pick up on survivors in hiding spots to keep there from being a successful meta of 'find a hiding spot in some butthole area, do not move entire game'. early game, being in a hiding spot will suppress sense pickups. hiding spots are fundamentally helpful in the early going if jason does not already know you are there. so if you hear his music faintly and are in a place you don't want to run from (say, the phone house while you have an angle on the fuse), jumping into a hiding spot will probably work. if you for whatever reason know that he's gonna be on his way soon (spawned near packanack lodge, just called the cops, witnessed someone gently caress up a repair) jumping into a hiding spot is very helpful since he won't know you're there when he warps in unless your survivor loses his poo poo.

in the late game, a hiding spot will not save you and is mostly only useful in cabins with many hiding spots in a bid to get him to check the wrong one while you pop out and zip away, probably with a whole new bar of stamina. high risk proposition.

the precise mechanics of what makes something light up on sense are unknown.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

codenameFANGIO posted:

They made a comic of the proposed Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash, I don't know if it was actually any good.

They made two miniseries, both of which are interesting, but I'd hesitate to call them "good." The art starts off a little bad and gets worse.

There's this thing with modern comics, sometimes called the "widescreen" effect, where if a person comes to them from screenwriting or some other video field, their scripts get really overblown really fast because a comic book has an infinite special-effects budget. F13 comics in general have a bad case of that, and FvJvA is no exception. Virtually every kill in a modern F13 book would be, if filmed, the biggest quality kill in the movie; people get wrenched in half, impaled on street signs, casually decapitated, etc. In one scene, Jason goes on a rampage in an S-Mart and meat-grates a guy's head through the side of a metal shopping cart.

(There's also an interesting point that forums poster Gavok made once, that F13 comics, and licensed horror comics in general, have this weird idea that the murderer is the protagonist, so they tend to wind up with him "winning." In most F13 comics, everyone dies and Jason fades back into the woods.)

If you're a fan of either F13 or NoES, though, the comics are worth reading. The second miniseries, The Nightmare Warriors, has Alice Walker putting together a group of most of the survivors from both franchises, including Tommy, Tina, Rennie, Neil, and Maggie Krueger. Things fly way the gently caress off the rails shortly thereafter, of course, but it's an interesting read and it would have cost $200 million to film. Freddy uses Jason to get hold of the Necronomicon and raise an army of Deadites to march on Washington, and Maggie switches sides for no adequately explored reason. Then Alice gets killed, her son inherits her dream powers, and an army of Freddy's victims show up in ghost form to gently caress him up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The likely best Friday the 13th comic made was How I Spent My Summer Vacation, and I can't say I cared too much for how Jason liberally slaughters children in it. But the second issue, all about Jason connecting with some kid that kind of reminds him of himself at that age, is weirdly sweet especially when you learn where he was taking the kid.

It helps that the really over the top bullshit doesn't happen as much, like Jason taking out a helicopter with a riding duck toy.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Burkion posted:

The likely best Friday the 13th comic made was How I Spent My Summer Vacation, and I can't say I cared too much for how Jason liberally slaughters children in it. But the second issue, all about Jason connecting with some kid that kind of reminds him of himself at that age, is weirdly sweet especially when you learn where he was taking the kid.

It helps that the really over the top bullshit doesn't happen as much, like Jason taking out a helicopter with a riding duck toy.

I'm drawing a blank on what the company was but they had the rights to New Lines horror movies within the last..10 years or so, and produced NOES, F13 and TCM (remake style) comics.

The art in them is kinda hideous, every female character is barely dressed and/or falling out of their poorly fitting clothes and all the deaths are crazy violent and lovingly detailed in the art.

They're exactly the kind of comics a group of 12 year olds jacked up on sugar and a movie binge would write.

So kinda garbage if you're reading it for the stories or the art but if you find em cheap they're mildly interesting.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wanderer posted:

They made two miniseries, both of which are interesting, but I'd hesitate to call them "good." The art starts off a little bad and gets worse.

There's this thing with modern comics, sometimes called the "widescreen" effect, where if a person comes to them from screenwriting or some other video field, their scripts get really overblown really fast because a comic book has an infinite special-effects budget. F13 comics in general have a bad case of that, and FvJvA is no exception. Virtually every kill in a modern F13 book would be, if filmed, the biggest quality kill in the movie; people get wrenched in half, impaled on street signs, casually decapitated, etc. In one scene, Jason goes on a rampage in an S-Mart and meat-grates a guy's head through the side of a metal shopping cart.

(There's also an interesting point that forums poster Gavok made once, that F13 comics, and licensed horror comics in general, have this weird idea that the murderer is the protagonist, so they tend to wind up with him "winning." In most F13 comics, everyone dies and Jason fades back into the woods.)

If you're a fan of either F13 or NoES, though, the comics are worth reading. The second miniseries, The Nightmare Warriors, has Alice Walker putting together a group of most of the survivors from both franchises, including Tommy, Tina, Rennie, Neil, and Maggie Krueger. Things fly way the gently caress off the rails shortly thereafter, of course, but it's an interesting read and it would have cost $200 million to film. Freddy uses Jason to get hold of the Necronomicon and raise an army of Deadites to march on Washington, and Maggie switches sides for no adequately explored reason. Then Alice gets killed, her son inherits her dream powers, and an army of Freddy's victims show up in ghost form to gently caress him up.

I feel that way about this game. Most of the kills aren't very Jason and I think it's because Hodder has spent more recent time playing the TOTALLY NOT JASON GUYS HAHA NOPE ITS NOT HIM character in those lovely Hatchet movies where the kills are a bunch of ripping in half and breaking limbs.

Do any of you have memories of the Friday the 13th young adult series that came out? There were four of them and I only had one when I was in third grade (yeah my parents were goodbad parents) so ~1994? The focused on people finding Jason's mask and putting it on and it having some sort of spirit link giving them enhanced physical traits and a big old murderboner.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joylessdivision posted:

I'm drawing a blank on what the company was but they had the rights to New Lines horror movies within the last..10 years or so, and produced NOES, F13 and TCM (remake style) comics.

The art in them is kinda hideous, every female character is barely dressed and/or falling out of their poorly fitting clothes and all the deaths are crazy violent and lovingly detailed in the art.

They're exactly the kind of comics a group of 12 year olds jacked up on sugar and a movie binge would write.

So kinda garbage if you're reading it for the stories or the art but if you find em cheap they're mildly interesting.

Oh yeah, definitely.

One or two tried to do SOMETHING interesting? But most of them were pure trash. A few of them really pushed Jason's regeneration into the cartoonish, where he could regenerate half of his body being blown away in seconds.

Abuser and the Abused might be the most oddball one of the lot.

The art style for it is super cartoonish and stylized in a very ill fitting way, but the core story could have been something interesting. It's a kind of EC Horror morality thing, only no one learns any lessons and nothing of consequence actually happened.

The short mini series that went into the Fear Book one off were a different kind of dumb, exactly the excesses you mentioned earlier, and it ends on an extremely dour note.

Jason VS Jason X is fun mostly for the titular fight, and how it resolves, but the actual story around it is very confusing.

The native american one, the two parter not the cancelled mini series, is just grim in a way the movies never really were.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Burkion posted:

Oh yeah, definitely.

One or two tried to do SOMETHING interesting? But most of them were pure trash. A few of them really pushed Jason's regeneration into the cartoonish, where he could regenerate half of his body being blown away in seconds.

Abuser and the Abused might be the most oddball one of the lot.

The art style for it is super cartoonish and stylized in a very ill fitting way, but the core story could have been something interesting. It's a kind of EC Horror morality thing, only no one learns any lessons and nothing of consequence actually happened.

The short mini series that went into the Fear Book one off were a different kind of dumb, exactly the excesses you mentioned earlier, and it ends on an extremely dour note.

Jason VS Jason X is fun mostly for the titular fight, and how it resolves, but the actual story around it is very confusing.

The native american one, the two parter not the cancelled mini series, is just grim in a way the movies never really were.

That's exactly the ones I was thinking of. Forgot about the Jason vs Jason X story, although I remember seeing the covers in the back of the books and being kinda tempted to check it out based on the absurdity of it.

And it's Avatar comics if anyone is interested in this trash. I don't know who did the art but it looks basically identical across all the books of theirs that I've read and it's always kinda hideous. Maybe it's something they've done to the art in post or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They also did the RoboCop 2 Frank Millar comic adaptation.

It was loving awful. Just, the worst thing.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

weekly font posted:

Do any of you have memories of the Friday the 13th young adult series that came out? There were four of them and I only had one when I was in third grade (yeah my parents were goodbad parents) so ~1994? The focused on people finding Jason's mask and putting it on and it having some sort of spirit link giving them enhanced physical traits and a big old murderboner.

Oh poo poo yea I remember those! They were pretty good slasher novels. The one kill that always stuck in my mind was where this girl swam to a dingy in the middle of the lake, but got entirely covered in leeches and died from blood loss. Also a fat kid got stabbed but was too fat for the knife so Jason had to cut his throat. Literally too fat to die.

Good young adult reading.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm really sad that F13 is in the hands of New Line, the company Freddy built, because they've completely lost touch with their origins.

Can you imagine how good an F13 movie would be with today's lax standards on gore and tits, combined with a young and eager director on a shoestring budget using practical effects?

I swear for less than $1M you could make a F13 movie that would pull in $60M or more and be a cult smash hit if you completely kept producers as far away as possible and just let the movies be themselves, including weird rear end ideas like Roy and Carrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Burkion posted:

Is that the one where it ends with Jason at his mothers grave? Like, he was taking Davey to meet her?

• Locked thread