Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
When I was little I thought that when people died in movies the actor died too. Like, he believed in the film so strongly that he agreed to be shot to death so the movie would be good.

And this was years before The Crow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Powaqoatse posted:

also i believe this is the origin story of rihanna

You are correct!

When I was in first grade, my mom took me to see Jesus Christ Superstar- kind of a rite of passage in the area I grew up in; everybody does it at least once if you like drama and some people have been doing it over thirty years. Anyways, at the end you could go onstage and talk to the actors, and I refused because I thought it was the real Jesus and he would be mad at me for not being Christian. That was the year I got bullied a lot for not going to church.

Oh, and just because Windex is a pretty color and you want blue cookies doesn't make it a good idea to pour it in cookie batter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You are correct!

yes

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bobby Digital posted:

You're thinking of Mexican standoffish

That was precisely my logic. A stand-off is when people are about to shoot one another, so to be standoffish...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
You folks may enjoy this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642895 if you have archives (idk if it's worth starting a new one, the old one only went for a few pages)

Also this one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711921 if you don't have archives

Posting b/c i got super confused what thread i was in

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I took over some junior high classes this month because the teacher got fired for forcibly smelling the kids' fingers. No, I don't know what the gently caress.

ME: "So, this is the last time we're going to have class together."
KIDS: *various shrieks of disgruntlement* They like me because I dance a lot and don't have to give any homework for these classes.
KID 1: "What about next term?"
ME: "No, I'm afraid not."
KID 2: *slams books on desk* "Jesus!"

KID FROM LAST WEEK: "Fleta, do you remember my favorite book?"
ME: "Out of Africa, right?"
KID: "Yes! Have you read it?"
ME: "Yes, I have. Shouldn't you be going to lu---"
KID: :byodame: "WAIT IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!"
She then proceeded to tell me the entire plot of the book, explain the plot of the movie, and then tell me how many Oscars it won. And then how many movies won how many Oscars over the past ten years. I made one of her classmates prepare a lunch tray for her because it was about 20 minutes of nonstop talking and I was worried she wouldn't eat.

ME: "There's one very famous and special summer camp in the USA. Can you guess what it is?"
KID 1: "American military camp?"
KID 2: "SHOOTING GUNS CAMP!!!!!!!!"
He's obsessed with guns. And sneaking up to scare me from behind. His rationale was, "Now I scare you so many times that we will become friends."

There are also two returnee kids in my classes. I felt bad for them, but they seem to be enjoying themselves even though there's no way the material is challenging enough for their levels.

Forty to fifty kids in one classroom usually means only the first few rows are paying attention, but these kids are pretty good. (The other school sucks donkey balls and the kids are crammed into the rooms- with no AC- so tightly that many of them can't even see the board/screen.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

ME: "There's one very famous and special summer camp in the USA. Can you guess what it is?"
What is the answer to this question?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Camp Clomshire, obviously.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tiggum posted:

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Camp Clomshire, obviously.

errrrrbody wants to go there :getin:

Space Camp, actually.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Selected quotes from a 3rd-6th grade speech contest a couple years ago:

"I'm the little honey bunch in my family."

"I want to go to Central Park and try real American traditional food, especially hamburgers, because I saw a big hamburger on TV and it looked so delicious."

"I don't mean we have to go back to the primitive world, but I'd like to say that we have conquered cellphones, and not be slaves to them."

"Ladies and gentlemen! Be a wise cellphone user!"

"Can you guess what my dream is? Here are some hints: Jang Young-Sil, convenience, surprising things, laboratory, Edison." She wants to be a scientist.

"Once upon a time, God called together all mountain tops to Geumgang Mountain to make the mountain the best in the world. God wanted the mountain to have 12,000 peaks. The Rock in Ulsan heard the news, so it headed for Geumgang Mountain. The the Rock was so big and it rested near Seorak Mountain for one day. Next day, the Rock arrived there, but Geumgang mountain had already 12,000 peaks, so the Rock couldn't join in. It was very sad, but it couldn't go home because it didn't like to lose face. It looked around and took a seat there, where it rested until today."

"We hung flags on our houses. It looked like our ancestors were dancing in the wealth of Korea."

"Most people care for themselves, being selfish and freaking out so severely." I loooooove "freaking out severely" and now use it in everyday conversation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Crystal Lake?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Kevyn posted:

When I was little I thought that when people died in movies the actor died too. Like, he believed in the film so strongly that he agreed to be shot to death so the movie would be good.

And this was years before The Crow.

I used to think this and also that period pieces were filmed in the time they were set in. Oddly I gradually realized that wasn't the case, like clearly there weren't movies being made in Ancient Greece, but I thought Grease was still filmed in the 50's.

My sister recently beat Breath of the Wild, while she was watching the end credits my nephew kept saying "Bye bye Zelda" over and over to try and convince her to turn it off so he could play more Mario Kart 8.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My 5-year-old daughter grabbed the old FFIII SNES cartridge and asked me to play. I gave her full control over party composition and character names, and here's what we've got so far:

Terra = Tora
Locke = Locket
Edgar = Quatzo
Shadow = Jayjay
Sabin = Opie
Cyan = Quatza
Gau = Y'ur (she wanted 'wire', but it had to start with a Y for some reason)
Celes = Ridair
Setzer = Tuna
Mog = Google

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

If I have twins I'm naming them Quatzo and Quatza

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

My 5-year-old daughter grabbed the old FFIII SNES cartridge and asked me to play. I gave her full control over party composition and character names, and here's what we've got so far:

Terra = Tora
Locke = Locket
Edgar = Quatzo
Shadow = Jayjay
Sabin = Opie
Cyan = Quatza
Celes = Ridair
Setzer = Tuna
Mog = Google

Holy poo poo, I'm dying.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

Over lunch with the entire family, my niece randomly blurted out to her grandmother " When I am an adult, you're going to be dead." and then just kept eating. No one wanted to correct her, because she isn't really wrong, but it was a very odd thing to say.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just found out today when driving home with his kids, my brother would occasionally go around a couple extra blocks right before their house informing the kids that he needed to "throw the group of international assassins following them off their tail"

Apparently, the youngest actually thought there were assassins until she was about 10 years old.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

flosofl posted:

I just found out today when driving home with his kids, my brother would occasionally go around a couple extra blocks right before their house informing the kids that he needed to "throw the group of international assassins following them off their tail"

Apparently, the youngest actually thought there were assassins until she was about 10 years old.

This is top tier parenting right here :discourse:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Playing Apples to Apples with my sixth graders back in Korea:

STUDENT 1: "Teacher, what's this card?"
ME: *looking* "Oh! Boogers. Um...a delicious treasure inside your nose."
(Students squeal with appropriate disgust)

Later in the game...

STUDENT 2: "Teacher! He is on a treasure hunt!" *points to his friend, who is picking his nose*

Black card: "I want to buy [ ]."
Someone put down "North Korea."
JASMIN: "HAHAHAHA TEACHER OH MY GOD LOOK!"
ME: "I want to buy...North Korea? Wow, I bet that'll be expensive."
JASMIN: "No. It's so cheap. Only 100 won. Nobody wants this."

e: Fixed an English mistake.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My cousin and his wife took their little boy to a restaurant the other day, and as they're getting ready to leave he suddenly looks at them and declares, 'Cars don't have boobies on 'em, silly goose! They have wheels on 'em!'

Indeed little man, indeed.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
So I have a weird kid. He doesn't really talk, well he does but its his own language. The kid is smart and has since ordered a dozen skins for crossy road and ordered me horror books before I locked down my Kindle. He is 2 and loves video games and horror The other day he took an old Halloween demon mask put it on me and then kissed it. He also tried to gouge my eyes out.

We have been working with his teachers to get him to talk more, so far he does simple words and is starting to do sentences. Although the other day I did notice him saying "sheet,cock" over and over again. It took me a while to realize that he mean poo poo gently caress. Which according to my wife is something I repeat over and over again when I am frustrated or trying to concentrate.

He is also an Arctic Monkeys fan and will find their videos whenever he has access to Youtube.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shortly after my daughter turned 5 she asked for a ton of construction paper and started drawing a bunch of pictures by herself. After probably half an hour or so she asked me to staple them together, and once I did she proudly said that she wrote a book. I chuckled, not really believing that's she'd actually drawn a story with all those pages, but then she sat down and started reading/singing it to me.

She had written a book based on the Five Little Ducks nursery rhyme. Only instead of ducks they were giganotosauruses, and instead of "Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!" the mother said "ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!" For each verse, there was a page of small shaded giganotosauruses going over a small hill away from their mother, a page with the mother roaring, and a page with the babies coming back. The final page had the whole family together again, and they all had ^_^ faces to show they were happy. And yes, she sang the whole song, and replacing "duck" with "giganotosaurus" made the rhythm incredibly awkward (and adorable) :3:

U-DO Burger posted:

Terra = Tora
Locke = Locket
Edgar = Quatzo
Shadow = Jayjay
Sabin = Opie
Cyan = Quatza
Celes = Ridair
Setzer = Tuna
Mog = Google

The names continue...

Strago = Hotdog
Relm = Shupie

And my kids' favorite character is by far Ultros. My son and daughter thought "Yaooch! Seafood Soup!" was the most hilarious thing ever and now all they want is for me to fight Ultros again. Thank god he's a recurring boss fight.

U-DO Burger has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Jun 19, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

From a student essay about making plans:

"In my father, I will do my best to do something I like."

:confused:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Autocorrect from misspelled 'future', I take it?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Handwritten autocorrect?!

But yeah, give the context I think he meant "future."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Nah, he just has a really big, spacious dad.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Korea posted:

One of the first graders came to see me:

JUSTIN: "Fleta-teacher, um...um...um..." *he draws a square* "Five, six, two...um....five....five...six...five..."

(I hold up the fuzzy dice)

JUSTIN: "YES!!!! GIVE JUSTIN PLEASE!!!!!"

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
^^ adorable. I can't remember who posted about 'shower sauce' but it still cracks me up on a regular basis.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Google translate gives me nothing. What does it actually mean?

Dodo is also kidspeak for dummy, which I think are called pacifiers in America.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It was the French Canadian one. He didn't want to go to sleep, so I had to tel him that the car was asleep, that I was going to sleep and that he should also go to sleep.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Writer Cath posted:

It was the French Canadian one. He didn't want to go to sleep, so I had to tel him that the car was asleep, that I was going to sleep and that he should also go to sleep.

And then he did! :kimchi:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Out of Africa Girl is messaging me about movies:

OOAG: have you saw the movie. Brokeback mountain. it tells about homosexual. the movie make many people be sad and cry.

ME: Yes, it was really sad. I did cry, and I don't usually cry at movies.

OOAG: oh, but you know many people China hate homosexuals. They can't change their ideas about homosexuals. And my mom, too.

OOAG: and I think I'll change to be homosexual to make my mom be angry.

....as I was typing this up, she came out to me. Did not expect that. Good kid, I hope she doesn't hide in the closet her whole life.

e: Does anyone know good resources for young gay and/or trans kids that are not on Youtube?

ee: I asked what Dad thinks and the response was "He's like a tree to me" which is pretty loving hilarious.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Jun 27, 2017

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

ee: I asked what Dad thinks and the response was "He's like a tree to me" which is pretty loving hilarious.

I really can't discern if this is a positive or negative comparison

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Papal Mainframe posted:

I really can't discern if this is a positive or negative comparison

Based on the context of what else was said, I think it just means he's not very responsive. Typical Chinese dad, from what I've seen. "He's friendly, but he's like a tree to me" was the full statement.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Scarleteen.com is a good and inclusive sex education resource for teens!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Scarleteen.com is a good and inclusive sex education resource for teens!

Thank you! I will definitely pass that on.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One of my four-year-old sons is standing in the hallway, staring at a blank wall. He slowly shakes his head, and says:

"I don't want to hurt daddy."

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I took my five-year-old daughter to see The Little Mermaid (the stage musical) at a local musical theatre venue. This was her first live theatre experience, and her first musical theatre performance, so we discussed etiquette beforehand. Among the rules, of course, is "don't sing along".

Before the show, everyone stood to sing the national anthem, and as we do so, she urgently tugs my arm; I lean down, and she says into my ear: "Everyone's breaking the rules! They're singing along!"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Axiem posted:

I took my five-year-old daughter to see The Little Mermaid (the stage musical) at a local musical theatre venue. This was her first live theatre experience, and her first musical theatre performance, so we discussed etiquette beforehand. Among the rules, of course, is "don't sing along".

Before the show, everyone stood to sing the national anthem, and as we do so, she urgently tugs my arm; I lean down, and she says into my ear: "Everyone's breaking the rules! They're singing along!"
Do they commonly sing the national anthem at stage productions...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Do they commonly sing the national anthem at stage productions...?

I have never heard of it ever, but maybe its a regional thing?