Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Nick Foles' jersey is next to Manning's in Canton....

Think about that for a second.

Fake edit. That's why Howie brought him back this year. Because we are playing the Raiders again and Foles wants another shot at the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Eagles 3rd round pick Rasul Douglas is already taking first team snaps at CB. Somewhat interestingly, he took veteran journeyman Patrick Robinson's place rather than Jalen Mills'.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The main issue for the Skins is they lost their top 2 WRs (I know Crowder is secretly the best but still) and Doctson is a ???

Garcon and Jackson's (and cousins for that matter) stats were hugely inflated by the Skins having to throw themselves out of giant holes their defense left them in last year. I think how the offseason moves on defense pan out will have more of an impact on how balanced of an offense we see next year, more than losing Jackson and Garcon.

That said, I don't think Crowder has hit his ceiling yet and has the best rapport with cousins along with reed and will make a solid safety valve if for some reason none of the other receivers break out. Although, I'd be very surprised if they can't get Pryor going considering what he was able to do with _insert browns qb here_ and Doctson seemed to show a lot of promise the few times he was on the field.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd say the lack of certainty at RB is a bigger issue than losing Jackson and Garcon. Garcon's benefit was primarily as a veteran presence and while Jackson's speed is obvious I think they can make do with what they have. Crowder is a great player, Reed is an amazing red zone threat, and Washington's biggest issue was the red zone. Between Reed, Doctson, and Pryor Cousins should have plenty of big bodies to throw to. Brian Quick might also prove interesting at 6'3" but if he hasn't figured out the game by now I doubt anything will change in DC.

Either way I think Washington has what it takes to have a third winning season. At the very least Cousins will be playing for a monster contract (on another team :suicide:).

Outside of whether or not perine has a strong enough camp to start over fat rob week 1 or half way through the season, rb situation seems pretty settled. Jones is gone, Thompson is the change of pace back and the others are just depth that won't see a regular season snap without an injury to someone in those top 3.

I'm feeling real optimistic about their moves on both sides of the ball this offseason. What concerns me is the cousins contract question and the number of 1 year deals we have. Everything could work out well this season and we could still wind up losing a lot of key players and not be able to backfill in the draft without our board-muse Scot, starting another death spiral of front office turnover and vintage redskins incompetence.

Just talking this year though I can definitely see a winning season as a possibility and if the defense and new receivers really click, maybe even a decent playoff run.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles are so loving good. If only the offseason could last forever...

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

First ballot Hall of Famer Marcus Smith showed up to camp. Said he skipped OTAs because they were voluntary.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/brandongowton/status/874644551625060354

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NotWearingPants posted:

Eagles 3rd round pick Rasul Douglas is already taking first team snaps at CB. Somewhat interestingly, he took veteran journeyman Patrick Robinson's place rather than Jalen Mills'.

PatRob, is uh, not good

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I love Jesus

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

If you love him so much, why don't you marry him?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Washington's front office continues to be a poo poo show.

We don't need to bring in someone who isn't already on the payroll and might tell people above them things they don't like. Nope nope well make this guy a VP and call it good enough.

So looking forward to them stumble into another bland year.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles extended LT Jason Peters though 2019, when he'll be 37,

I think it was a great idea. Why get rid of someone who is still playing well just because his age indicates his play may decline in the future? There was mention of a possible move to guard in the future if he can't handle tackle anymore. I don't know how likely that will be, but Peters, Seumalo, and Brooks would be a pretty thick interior line at 1k lbs+.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 15, 2017

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I want to keep Peters a career Eagle. I know a lot of people in my office that'll be pissed, though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

NotWearingPants posted:

The Eagles extended LT Jason Peters though 2019, when he'll be 37,

I think it was a great idea. Why get rid of someone who is still playing well just because his age indicates his play may decline in the future? There was mention of a possible move to guard in the future if he can't handle tackle anymore. I don't know how likely that will be, but Peters, Seumalo, and Brooks would be a pretty thick interior line at 1k lbs+.

Looks like they save $5 mil in cap space doing this too.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Diqnol posted:

I want to keep Peters a career Eagle. I know a lot of people in my office that'll be pissed, though.

Eagles fans have become unappreciative about how good they've had it at left tackle for almost 20 years. Fans under 30 or so are mostly probably unable to remember a time when the Eagles didn't have a great LT. Peters missed one year for injury but other than that, the two of them didn't miss many games.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Eagles fans have become unappreciative about how good they've had it at left tackle for almost 20 years. Fans under 30 or so are mostly probably unable to remember a time when the Eagles didn't have a great LT. Peters missed one year for injury but other than that, the two of them didn't miss many games.

I was going to dispute this but then looked it up, and holy poo poo Tra Thomas first started in 1998
I feel old now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

aBagorn posted:

I was going to dispute this but then looked it up, and holy poo poo Tra Thomas first started in 1998
I feel old now.

Yep. For basically my entire life as an Eagles fan we've had a really solid tackle situation.

The cap savings are big, I just have some....anxiety about giving players in premier positions where age can catch up fast lots of money.

*Looks at the Ryan Howard deal and :cry:*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Ryan Howard deal was fine lol . There is no salary cap in baseball.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

euphronius posted:

The Ryan Howard deal was fine lol . There is no salary cap in baseball.

just because there's no salary cap doesn't mean you have infinite amounts of money to throw around

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol the Phillies aren't losing money if that's what you are implying and never did

It's a terrible ownership of non sports fans maximizing investment at this point . Garbage just total garbage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Their payroll this year is I think about 100 million and they have sole control of the 5 the largest market in.l baseball.

It's a disgrace

Football: wentz has looked great in mandatory camp.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Football: wentz has looked great in mandatory camp.

Did he? Or is that just what Jesus wants you to think?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

I feel old now.

Since 2001, the Eagles' left tackle has gone to 11 of 15 Pro Bowls.

That's not to say Thomas was as good as Peters. Peters is a Hall of Fame candidate. But I always liked Thomas and thought he was kind of underappreciated because everyone loved Runyan.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I like Peters, but I think you have to accept that he will probably false start at least once per game, usually in a 3rd and 5 type of situation.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

I like Peters, but I think you have to accept that he will probably false start at least once per game, usually in a 3rd and 5 type of situation.

Close... He had 10 last year and 6 of them were on 3rd down. He also had one on a 4th down.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

The Tebow we deserve

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Which Philly athlete will Cleveland regret passing on more? Joel Embiid or Carson Wentz.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Going to pretend this is ironic so I can continue to like Wentz

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
:siren: The NFC East Dumpster Fire series is here! :siren:

Cowboys: http://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-cowboys-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2017

Giants: http://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-giants-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2017

Redskins and Eagles coming soon

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Sorry. I root for the Yankees, Lakers, and Cowboys. :smuggo:

I'm Lebron James

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Redskins!

http://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-redskins-will-be-dumpster-fire-season/

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

drat, Kempski is BRUTAL in these:

"Carroll stunk last season with the Eagles, particularly in the second half of the season. He was so bad that the Eagles showed no interest whatsoever in bringing him back, despite having arguably the shakiest corner personnel in the league. The notion that the Cowboys signed him to a three-year deal worth $10 million still confounds me.

That said, I will say that I admire Carroll's commitment to fitting in with the culture of his new team by being arrested for DWI less than three months after he signed in Dallas.."

LMAO:

"When I retire from writing about football in 30 years, perhaps some day someone will ask me what the easiest part of the job was. My response will be, 'Finding funny pictures of Eli Manning.'"

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 28, 2017

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

what the gently caress are those shoes (i.e. "what are thoooooooose")

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This is so spot on with everything else i hear/seen and I can't wait to see this stupid team implode.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

indigi posted:

what the gently caress are those shoes (i.e. "what are thoooooooose")

BIG BALLER BRAND ZO2's awww yiss

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/880153865039073284

PEDboys

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I almost wonder if the NFL would be able to field 16 teams of current players if they actually cared about PEDs and used something like USADA testing like the UFC does.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eagles!

http://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-eagles-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2017/

Also he's right, we totally are gonna suck poo poo this year.

don't have hope, don't have hope, don't have hope.... :ohdear:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

axeil posted:

Eagles!

I'm gonna be honest I have infinitely more fun getting drunk and saying crabby snacks and homemades than I do watching the Eagles nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

axeil posted:

Eagles!

Carson is bad and has bad mechanics

• Locked thread