Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

TomVanDam posted:

After watching the no clip documentary I've decided to give this another go. I didn't get very far, probably in the 20s. Have they made the first expansion free for all like WoW or would I need to buy it? Sorry if this has been asked before.

first expansion is tied in with the 2nd. but you dont need to buy it until level 50 as nothing is locked behind it except for one race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

Do you have a link to the statement? I'd be interested to read some thoughts on how they plan to expand tank jobs, even if they are scant.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2015/03/19/the-future-of-final-fantasy-xiv-an-interview-with-yoshi-p/
Here's one link to such statement but there's not much more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they add in a PvP mode where running around scattered gets you points. Flame will dominate that mode constantly. Maybe one where you have to avoid objectives. They'll win that one for sure too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Seconding the idea of BLU using monster skills based on your past experiences / the echo gift. If they were to drop it next expansion, it'd be starting at what, 60? It'd probably pretty easy to frame the job quests to take into account you're well seasoned at this point. I just had a really silly idea of it being a job the WoL discovers on their own one day after thinking about all the monsters they've fought or something. The rest of the questline would just be them finding bigger and badder monsters to steal/learn from.

Mechanically it could also be like the opposite of RDM, with your melee skills representing your basic abilities and your magic skills requiring some resource you gain from taking hits. (Blue mana?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still can't make up my mind between leveling PLD and DRK on the side first. Even flipping a coin doesn't work because I just change my mind 20 minutes later.

At this rate I'm gonna level them both to 70 at the same time then abandon them both :suicide:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's actually extremely good that astrologians have to make sometimes uncomfortable decisions instead of clicking off everything that doesn't lead to an expanded balance

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
balance probably should catch a nerf, arrow a buff, and spear not made comically useless though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's actually extremely good that astrologians have to make sometimes uncomfortable decisions instead of clicking off everything that doesn't lead to an expanded balance

Yeah. It's annoying getting stuck with a spire in the spread position, but it's not much work to find a way to get rid of it. I'd wouldn't mind it as much if they nerfed balance and made the other cards useful, but whatever. Anything's better than fish for balance and discard everything else.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I still can't make up my mind between leveling PLD and DRK on the side first. Even flipping a coin doesn't work because I just change my mind 20 minutes later.

At this rate I'm gonna level them both to 70 at the same time then abandon them both :suicide:

Paladin flows incredibly well now, but it's still really basic. FoF Goring Blade, Circle of Scorn, then Royal Authority until Goring Blade is approaching 6~seconds, reapply Goring Blade and hit Requiescat on your last second of FoF, move in to Holy Spirit spam.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 28, 2017

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
All this talk about blue mages and tanks when what you really should think about is the puppetmaster job. You use your puppet to do all the tanking, fooling enemies with your flawless performance. A pet using job for every role, this is the vision of the future we should all strive for.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gotta spear yourself so you can turn Galaxy Stop Celestial Ops into a 96 second cooldown instead of 120, which basically means it comes off cd on the exact same pack of mobs in a dungeon it would've anyways. It's the best tactic.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
plenty of posters in this thread would be good at puppetmaster defending

e: :argh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Harrow posted:

Their abilities are clearly fueled by magic in FFXIV (hence the ice effects on some of them) so just think of sheathing your sword as an aid in concentrating your magical abilities or something.

Everybody's abilities are fueled by magic in FFXIV.

That's why every attack has these flashy particle effects, that's the Aether being used.

Ismene
Apr 26, 2012
Pillbug
Regarding sleeve draw, I've had the best results just holding off on it until I had something I want in my spread. Attempts to draw a new hand from nothing have more often than not given somewhat poor results. If the card in draw is garbage even after redrawing it well that's what minor arcana is for.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiterpallasch posted:

balance probably should catch a nerf, arrow a buff, and spear not made comically useless though

With the change to class UIs I wonder if spear could transition into "gives class gauge resource" like kenki, ninki, black and white mana, black blood, etc. It'd be worthless for certain classes, but great for others.

Also chemist had better be the next healer. Mixing chemicals to make buffs and shooting potion at people in big globs with my chemical cannon needs to happen.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

With the change to class UIs I wonder if spear could transition into "gives class gauge resource" like kenki, ninki, black and white mana, black blood, etc. It'd be worthless for certain classes, but great for others.

The idea of anyone other than me having any control over my heat gauge sounds like a horrible, horrible nightmare.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also chemist had better be the next healer. Mixing chemicals to make buffs and shooting potion at people in big globs with my chemical cannon needs to happen.

Excuse me but Dancer needs to be the next healer. :colbert:

Seriously though, any new healer needs to be something other than another flavor of spellcaster.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Seriously though, any new healer needs to be something other than another flavor of spellcaster.

Should go the SWTOR route and have a healer that shoots healing bullets.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just give me Beastmaster. That's all I want.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
melee-range healers, even melee-damage-range healers, would break a lot of existing fight design. the distance-based plumes in lakshmi that force the healers to run to outer space to not die would be impossible to handle on dancer, for example.

i don't really see them giving up the ability to design distance/seperation based mechanics for healers in the next expansion, sadly. chemist would be dope though.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
The real answer is the FFX-2 singer class. Songstress?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Alakaiser posted:

The idea of anyone other than me having any control over my heat gauge sounds like a horrible, horrible nightmare.

It just wouldn't do anything for you, or maybe it'd give you an extra action button to fully refill on ammo when you need it or something. Mainly I'm thinking it'd just actually be useful for ninja, samurai, dark knights, warriors, and red mages. Maybe it could give pips for bard or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A class that can't heal, only resurrect.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MSQ question: What was the deal with Urianger's prophecy thing? I remember it getting repeated when we saw Zeno's katana that was found by whats-her-face in Doma, but then it felt like it never got brought up again.

Dr Pepper posted:

If they do a new tank and healer I want them to be to be disciple of magic and disciple of war, respectively.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The city of heroes transplant healer.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

:thunk:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

isn't that red mage

edit: or summoner

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

By the way, the amount of tears pouring out of that daily forced logout thread is amazing.

At least a few people correctly guessed that Balmung is the source of everyone's problems.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Dancer has to be a tank. Having blue mage be flavored with dancer and their tank cooldowns involve them using a silk band to deflect and negate attacks would be the poo poo.

DizzyBum posted:

By the way, the amount of tears pouring out of that daily forced logout thread is amazing.

At least a few people correctly guessed that Balmung is the source of everyone's problems.

I'd like to point out that gilgamesh going down in flames was what allowed everyone on the aether data center to get past raubhan when just adding the instances wasn't enough, so maybe just get rid of the spergs and leave the bikini catgirls alone. At least everyone on balmung is fairly friendly as long as you don't ask them if futa is gay in shout (do this it's hilarious).

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 28, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Hug phase, solid Lakshmi EX group -

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If they make a chemist healer in a new expansion, they should be like the X-2 alchemists.

I know lots of people aren't super keen on FFX-2 but come on, who wouldn't want to shoot potions at people?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

If I can't cast The Wood Remembers to generate AoE threat in 5.0 there is going to be hell to pay.

Yeah at this point FF14 has built up such a consistent grammar of monster abilities that it really behooves them to put that stuff in player hands. My only worry is that they can't get too on the nose with it or else the BLU ability animations will start confusing party members into thinking they need to stack or turn away or whatever.

Having a titanic health pool but middling damage is even, itself, a classic monster trait!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My fear is the new recipe macros.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the really iconic monster abilities tend to be masasive gently caress-off aoe attacks or tankbusters though, neither of which are really apt for your 1-2-3 generation combo. can't even give them aero for ff5 flavor, since WHM has that covered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alakaiser posted:

isn't that red mage

edit: or summoner

Red Mages can heal.

No penalty resurrection.
A resurrect that gives you back your enmity
A temporary resurrect that boosts your stats a bunch

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Berserker Tank and Chocobo Knight Healer

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

plenty of posters in this thread would be good at puppetmaster defending

e: :argh:

Puppetmaster was a mistake

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blue Mages are going to use a lance and learn Heartstopper.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oxyclean posted:

Seconding the idea of BLU using monster skills based on your past experiences / the echo gift. If they were to drop it next expansion, it'd be starting at what, 60? It'd probably pretty easy to frame the job quests to take into account you're well seasoned at this point. I just had a really silly idea of it being a job the WoL discovers on their own one day after thinking about all the monsters they've fought or something. The rest of the questline would just be them finding bigger and badder monsters to steal/learn from.

Mechanically it could also be like the opposite of RDM, with your melee skills representing your basic abilities and your magic skills requiring some resource you gain from taking hits. (Blue mana?)

I always liked the idea of BLU being an experimental discipline of magic and you only get the job because the last guy they were using to test it got eaten/flipped out like that one Blue Mage in XI whose face erupted into a mass of tentacles and who you had to kill later. You could be literally inscribing the dying monsters' dissipating aether onto the soulstone to use their skills. Every job quest is just you being sent to hunt down more and more improbable monsters for the collection.

And of course it's a tank because White Wind, Lifebreak/????, Breath spells, Limit Glove, Self Destruct and Vampire all interact with the caster's HP somehow. And you'd have Magic Hammer for MP management and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah at this point FF14 has built up such a consistent grammar of monster abilities that it really behooves them to put that stuff in player hands. My only worry is that they can't get too on the nose with it or else the BLU ability animations will start confusing party members into thinking they need to stack or turn away or whatever.

Having a titanic health pool but middling damage is even, itself, a classic monster trait!

Reiterpallasch posted:

the really iconic monster abilities tend to be masasive gently caress-off aoe attacks or tankbusters though, neither of which are really apt for your 1-2-3 generation combo. can't even give them aero for ff5 flavor, since WHM has that covered.

A breath ability that triggers when you do a shelltron style deflect ability, a self explosion that doesn't actually damage you because some grenades don't die when they blow up, a web that slows mobs when they stand in it, and then some goblin punch poo poo or something. Not being able to do blue mage because "monster abilities are too strong" is a very silly argument.