Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

But is he voiced by Tim Curry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It really annoys me whenever conservative cartoonists try to play the "It's not a real job" "It's not a good enough job" or whatever else when they GET PAID TO MAKE REALLY lovely CARTOONS THAT JUST TELL THEIR READERS lovely OPINIONS RIGHT BACK AT THEM.

Should just replace branco with a conservative comics generator and no one would know the difference. In fact just replace Branco, make sure he has to spend a few years on the street. gently caress him.

Pants Donkey posted:

But is he voiced by Tim Curry?

FernGully could really use a remake or remaster right now.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Someone replace the kid with a coal miner, TYIA

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

There should be some special category for these "*a thing that will actually drastically affect ordinary people's lives* compared to *some piece of political gamesmanship* cartoons."

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Eh, I think it's clear enough that everyone except the die-hard trump fanatics hate the new healthcare bill. So this bit of spite doesn't feel necessary.

quote:

I feel like I can just make an image completely with clipart and put JRRose name on it and you wouldn't know the difference. It's not bad like Branco but it's just so boring.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

The Jewish Agency’s Board of Governors canceled a scheduled dinner with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after the Israeli government decided to freeze a plan to create an egalitarian prayer section at the Western Wall.
http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/375582/jewish-agency-vows-no-business-as-usual-with-israel-after-western-wall-move/

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I assume cartoons like this are designed to be accompanying specific articles which discuss the item in more depth, right? There's no way a cartoonist could draw this, go "yes this is a worthy piece to use as a stand-alone editorial cartoon", and then ship it...right?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
So I actually live in Illinois, but not in a good part, I'm like 3 hours southwest of Chicago on the border with Iowa. So of course, 90% of the interactions you have here are with people who either really like Trump or don't see anything wrong with him. So to everyone else: whenever people bitch about how bad Chicago is and suggest we make Illinois and the Chicago area two different states, do you usually just assume there's some racist undertones?

Like for one, and I could be completely wrong here, doesn't that Chicago area probably provide enough income to (somewhat) take care of the rest of this big-rear end state? Separating the two just seems like you'd have one bustling and wealthy area that's just surrounded by small towns and family farms that are slowly being absorbed by corporate ones.

Also, I feel like people (at least around here) just think of Chicago as a black city. Which is where I get the idea that there are racist undertones. Because otherwise, why would removing Chicago from Illinois be beneficial?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sandpuppy posted:

The way his shirt is scruffed, it looks like the robot is pulling him back in. Branco is to action as Rall is to architecture. Also, nice McDonald's logo.
Wasn't there some recent admission from McDonalds that paying better wages was actually leading to better company growth? Like, the exact opposite of all these right-wing talking points?
Also yeah, what World Famous W said: soaring stocks means we can't possibly pay anyone more.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Grimdude posted:

So I actually live in Illinois, but not in a good part, I'm like 3 hours southwest of Chicago on the border with Iowa. So of course, 90% of the interactions you have here are with people who either really like Trump or don't see anything wrong with him. So to everyone else: whenever people bitch about how bad Chicago is and suggest we make Illinois and the Chicago area two different states, do you usually just assume there's some racist undertones?

Like for one, and I could be completely wrong here, doesn't that Chicago area probably provide enough income to (somewhat) take care of the rest of this big-rear end state? Separating the two just seems like you'd have one bustling and wealthy area that's just surrounded by small towns and family farms that are slowly being absorbed by corporate ones.

Also, I feel like people (at least around here) just think of Chicago as a black city. Which is where I get the idea that there are racist undertones. Because otherwise, why would removing Chicago from Illinois be beneficial?

It's definitely somewhat racist, but that's also just how the rural-urban divide works. You hear the same thing here in Washington with regards to Seattle vs eastern washington. They don't like being beholden to The City, and want to break away, despite the fact that their way of life is subsidized by taxes that come primarily from that city.

The benefit world be removing liberal voters from the equation. Not having Those People telling them how to live their lives and so on.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the second Scottish independence referendum – Nicola Sturgeon of the Scottish National party has abandoned her demands for a new independence referendum before the Brexit deal is signed, after her party lost several seats to pro-union parties in the general election"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

After Cruikshank.

Mail:
Mac on...Making love being good for men's hearts

'I'm back, dear. The doctor's prescribed a new treatment for my heart - twice a day between meals.'

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Grimdude posted:

While it's impossible to separate out politics and race, the impression I always get (and I live in Chicago) is that it's a Republican/Democrat thing more than White/Black. Chicago is suuuuuper Democrat, and the rest of Illinois is equally Republican. As it happens, more than half of the population of Illinois lives in the Chicago Metro Area, so the state as a whole is also heavily Democrat in national elections. Therefore, people who say "remove Chicago from Illinois" are doing that to let the Republican rural Illinois be Republican and the Democrat metro area be Democrat. It's kinda like the people who want to kick California out of the USA so that their 55 electoral votes don't keep going to Democrats (and similarly with their Representatives).

And yeah, without Chicago Illinois would be a pretty poor state. If you kick out the Chicago area, the population drops to about the same as Connecticut (maybe more, depends on where you draw the lines) and pretty much all of the tourism and business income goes with it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

I agree, Delonas. We should definitely toss out the corporate subsidies, tax breaks, etc. that cost 10 times more than all the programs to help the poor combined.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on...Making love being good for men's hearts

'I'm back, dear. The doctor's prescribed a new treatment for my heart - twice a day between meals.'
Peak Mac right here.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

big fan of the "completely ignoring reality" style of political cartoon

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

"This'll be my third health care bill. Heh, have you ever known anyone who's ever written a health care bill three times in their life?"
"...I'm never sponsoring legislation with you again."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cat Puke posted:

Peak Mac right here.
Just missing a racist caricature.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vib Rib posted:

Wasn't there some recent admission from McDonalds that paying better wages was actually leading to better company growth? Like, the exact opposite of all these right-wing talking points?

Yes. Shockingly enough, paying people more leads to people spending more, and better pay tends to mean people give more of a poo poo about the job. Food service is an infamously awful work experience.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Cythereal posted:

Yes. Shockingly enough, paying people more leads to people spending more, and better pay tends to mean people give more of a poo poo about the job. Food service is an infamously awful work experience.

i dunno, back of house at a non-fast food place can be pretty great when you're in your teens/20s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Aren't people making jokes about McDonald's ice cream machines always being broken? I wouldn't trust a McDonald's with automated service.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I missed this from last week, but what the gently caress, Sack?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That is dumb as hell. What has been going on to have LGBTQ up against police? Solidarity with BLM or did something happen I totally miss. (If this is about the Pulse shooting I swear to loving god...)

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013

Grimdude posted:

I always associate Chicago with Lithuanian immigrants.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ularg posted:

That is dumb as hell. What has been going on to have LGBTQ up against police? Solidarity with BLM or did something happen I totally miss. (If this is about the Pulse shooting I swear to loving god...)
Parade organizers asked police to keep their presence to a minimum after the Castille ruling. There was protesting at the parade from BLM, but this cartoon was published before the actual parade.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

"After all, I managed to land that plane and walk away unharmed after you assholes sabotaged it"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ularg posted:

There's been something of an undercurrent lately at pride organizations about whether or not to endorse/allow police in uniform, given how police organizations in general have a pretty drat bad reputation when it comes to interacting with the LGBQT community. Check out the QUILTBAG thread for a more thorough rundown.

edit: forgot where I was for a second.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

cheetah7071 posted:

I assume cartoons like this are designed to be accompanying specific articles which discuss the item in more depth, right? There's no way a cartoonist could draw this, go "yes this is a worthy piece to use as a stand-alone editorial cartoon", and then ship it...right?

It's basically a Gorrell, except actually drawn. Gorrell isn't just artistically lazy, he's also intellectually lazy, as most of his cartoons are "story that's in the news written in text with vaguely related image."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's been something of an undercurrent lately at pride organizations about whether or not to endorse/allow police in uniform, given how police organizations in general have a pretty drat bad reputation when it comes to interacting with the LGBQT community. Check out the QUILTBAG thread for a more thorough rundown.

edit: forgot where I was for a second.
I believe Police at Stonewall even refused to apologize for the riots, saying it led to good things (which is their "apology").

Cops still aren't friends of the queer community.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pants Donkey posted:

I believe Police at Stonewall even refused to apologize for the riots, saying it led to good things (which is their "apology").

Cops still aren't friends of the queer community.

And in a lot of areas, cops still have an active record of abusing LGBT people, not taking them seriously, and generally failing to protect them. Accordingly there's been quite a bit of discussion and backlash in many LGBT communities about whether police in uniform are welcome at LGBT-centric events.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Speaking of Pride marches...

The rest

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Ularg posted:

What has been going on to have LGBTQ up against police?

decades of selective protection and/or unjust punishment exasperated by recent events, mostly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why would you drive out to and show up at this memorial/cemetery and not even know what it is?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

In some places, LGBT police officers want to march in the Pride parades while in uniform. Their superiors don't always allow them to participate in this way, which creates understandable resentments.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Recently I read poll data that says Republican voter opposition to gay marriage is dropping and is only at like 50% now. I'm still a little dumbfounded that the right gave up that fight so easily, when just a few years ago it was being sold as an existential crisis for human society and whatever.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Samurai Sanders posted:

Recently I read poll data that says Republican voter opposition to gay marriage is dropping and is only at like 50% now. I'm still a little dumbfounded that the right gave up that fight so easily, when just a few years ago it was being sold as an existential crisis for human society and whatever.

Once it's legalized and society doesn't actually collapse, those arguments really lose their teeth. Also it was a supreme court ruling and thus not really actionable without an insane congressional majority.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Begemot posted:

Once it's legalized and society doesn't actually collapse, those arguments really lose their teeth. Also it was a supreme court ruling and thus not really actionable without an insane congressional majority.
Abortion was made legal by the supreme court and didn't lead to societal collapse, and yet that is still treated as an existential fight for the GOP.

edit: besides, if you believe gay marriage is going to create a generation of hedonists, you'd have to wait a generation to know whether it did or not.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

David Rowe:

Christopher Pyne (Leader of the House) said some stuff in a bar about how his Liberal moderates rule and gay marriage will happen soonish-ish and now Tony Abbott and his merry band of conservatives are on the warpath.

Jon Kudelka:

Glen Le Lievre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wait, what? So doing something you have proof works with no consequences, is bad because...what?

loquacius posted:

My interpretation was "nothing you say is going to make Republicans turn on the leader of their own party anyway so there's no point in getting swept up in nationalism"

There are people out there who think a Democratic politician talking about anything other than Russia will Ruin Everything somehow, as the GOP guts our healthcare

Yeah, all it will do is whip up Democratic voters to hate Republicans as much as Republicans hate Democrats, and ensure we never have a low vote election that goes to Republicans again. Can't have something like that.

loquacius posted:

You're reading quiiiiite a bit into that post, friendo

I'm not sure how you can translate "some Democrats are using the Russia thing as an excuse not to discuss issues" into "I actively support Russian interventionism in American politics" unless you're viewing the world through your Louise Mensch goggles

Whether Russian meddling is allowed to continue is not correlated to exactly how big a stink Democrats make of it in the meantime. Let Mueller do his job, and in the meantime, represent the interests of your constituency. :colbert:

Yes it loving well is, because Republicans are spending all their time trying to normalize treason.

• Locked thread