Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also their spinning laser attack creates an updraft that you can fly above and nail them from above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm terrible at parrying but getting the timing right really feels great, it's been worth practicing because I love being able to pull it off. I like messing around in the fight shrines to practice different battle techniques since it's a controlled environment and you don't have to worry about dumb stuff like whoops now it's night and this big skeleton rear end in a top hat just joined in.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Norns posted:

Jonathan Blow seems bad at video games and mad that everything's not a dot puzzle.

Also his games aren't fun

Braid is good if don't try to understand the story. The Witness is bad though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everything Burrito posted:

big skeleton rear end in a top hat

Moooooooooods

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

El Gar posted:

I didn't know those were options either. I died a few times on those fights till my five year old pointed out the obvious.

Lol, I just always cheesed the shrine battles with blizzard rods and the like. I vaguely wondered why the metal plates and stuff were in some, but now it makes sense.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Reinanigans posted:

I'm sorry, what? I don't want to look this up because it will make me irrationally angry.

Fwiw, he included it in a review article where he limited each review to 100 words. It's more of a cute thing so we only have a small glimpse at why he thinks that.

If you're thinking, "Okay that's a fair viewpoint, but why a low score of 5?", you'd understand it if you read the big article. He covered his views on review scores, and how the baseline for standards starting at around 70 is completely wack, and more things on that topic. He's not afraid to rate games all across the spectrum, from 1's to 3's to 8's.

There are a lot of his scores I don't agree with, but there are also a bunch of them I think are right for the money. You shouldn't get mad at any individual score (except for maybe MGS Ground Zeros, that one should at least have a spoiler warning).

Earwicker posted:

I really wish the gaming world would move past this. I know its partly due to the comparatively high price of games compared to other media, but still I think its a far more negative tendency than a positive one.

I don't think that game reviews should completely remove the consumer/product side. Games can be art, but games are also very mechanical and there is enjoyment and expectation that comes either directly or solely from that.

This is where I take issue with Thompson, and agree with what Viewtiful Jew said. A trend that I feel from Thompson's reviews is that he thinks of mechanics as part of the broad vision, but the specific depth and execution to them aren't a big deal (perhaps clearest in his Bayonetta 2 review, and imo apparent in the Super Castlevania 4 review).

I absolutely agree with Thompson in that it shouldn't be the focus (or rather, an excuse) like it is now. However I wouldn't deny it either; denying it feels like denying the fundamental nature of what games are.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

drat! I just remembered that the first DLC comes out in two days!

sfmarine7
Aug 26, 2004
hey, how's it going

Earwicker posted:

I have four horses named Roach (and one named Big Roach)

Same for me, except it's Papa Roach.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I have four horses named Roach (and one named Big Roach)

I have 5 horses named Orb

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

My first horse was spotty and blue and he is called Blue. Epona is Epona, Giant Horse is Jasper, Royal Horse is Shadow.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

deadwing posted:

I have 5 horses named Orb

:yeah:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I played over 13 hours of Zelda today. Maybe it's the impending DLC or something...but I just had the urge to finally finish up all the shrines (almost done now) and memories (got all of those) today.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

My giant horse is named Tig Bits.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I think I ended up going boring but practical with my horse names.

I have Epona, Royalty the royal Horse, Giant the giant horse, Knight the horse that wears my armoured saddle and briddle and Fancy the pink horse that wears the fancy saddle and bridle.

Looking at using the other two saddle/bridle sets in Hard mode, so i'll grab on of the lovely spotty horses for the travellers set, and a blue horse for the monster set.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

How do the elemental Skills work in Hyrule Warriors? I got a harp for Sheik with Darkness+ on it. I know that one of her Combos is a Dark attack, so does that Skill only get applied if I use that Combo? If that's the case, what happens for other characters whose combos aren't different elemental attacks? Is it not possible to get e.g. Water+ for Link's Fire Rod?

On the subject of Combos, is there anywhere in-game which explains what they do? I know I can look up what combos are available and that, but it doesn't explain anything other than what the button sequence is.

Also, how do you use Thunder attacks to juggle enemies? If I use Sheik's Thunder combo to launch enemies, they drop to the ground before I've been able to regain control because of the cooldown.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I just started playing Twilight Princess yesterday for the first time and holy gently caress is it slow as gently caress. I'm 2.5 hours in and just now made it to the first dungeon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

housefly posted:

My giant horse is named Tig Bits.

You misspelled Big Tits

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I just started playing Twilight Princess yesterday for the first time and holy gently caress is it slow as gently caress. I'm 2.5 hours in and just now made it to the first dungeon.

Yup. WW/TP/SS (though WW to a lesser extent) are the pinnacle of handholding slow starts in Zelda games. That said, once you can clear that hurdle, the bulk of the game is still classic Zelda and has some excellent dungeons/setpieces. Midna is also a gem, and the game still has one of the two or three best final sequences in the series.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Play BOTW errday

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, if you buy the $20 DLC tomorrow do you get all of the future dlc with that eventually, or do you buy each DLC individually?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The $20 is for the "season pass", so you get tomorrow's plus the 2nd pack later this year. Not sure if they'll include anything beyond that, if they release more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Might have to buy it tonight so I still get that sweet switch tshirt for Link

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Might have to buy it tonight so I still get that sweet switch tshirt for Link

I bought it and the chest the switch tshirt is supposed to be in just doesn't exist in my game. Not like it matters, but :lol:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RCarr posted:

I bought it and the chest the switch tshirt is supposed to be in just doesn't exist in my game. Not like it matters, but :lol:

The three chests are scattered over the plateau. The game doesn't just hand them to you.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

The three chests are scattered over the plateau. The game doesn't just hand them to you.

Yea, they are in set spots. The two other chests were where they were supposed to be. The one the Switch shirt is supposed to be in isn't there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RCarr posted:

The Switch shirt spawns in a chest on the Plateau. It's on the wall near the Ja Baij Shrine, the one where you get the bomb Rune.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does the switch shirt have any powers or is it cosmetic only?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it gives Link a 10% discount for whenever the switch finally comes out in Hyrule. 15% with trade-in of the sheikah slate

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Switch is out in Hyrule, you just gotta queue outside Malo Mart overnight to get one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It has the power of 1 def and no upgrades

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

smh if you can't pop the arms off the shirt

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

jivjov posted:

RCarr posted:

Yea, they are in set spots. The two other chests were where they were supposed to be. The one the Switch shirt is supposed to be in isn't there.

Silver Falcon posted:

The Switch shirt spawns in a chest on the Plateau. It's on the wall near the Ja Baij Shrine, the one where you get the bomb Rune.

I know exactly where it spawns. It's not there in my game is what I'm saying. I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RCarr posted:

I know exactly where it spawns. It's not there in my game is what I'm saying. I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

And you're sure you're looking in the right spot? I could see all three failing to spawn for some reason...but just one is odd

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

god damned scalpers taking all the switch shirts

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

And you're sure you're looking in the right spot? I could see all three failing to spawn for some reason...but just one is odd

Yea I've watched numerous Youtube videos showing exactly where it is. And I've scoured the entire plateau for good measure just in case there was possibly some random generation aspect to the location. It's not there. If it was some important item that I cared about getting I'd contact Nintendo about it, but it's a gimmick armor piece I'll never wear, so it's no big deal. It's just weird.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The DLC hits in about 8 hours according to some spokesperson https://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-master-trials-dlc-unlocks/1100-6451300/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Midnight est. just in time for me to get no sleep tonight yay!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

irlZaphod posted:

How do the elemental Skills work in Hyrule Warriors? I got a harp for Sheik with Darkness+ on it. I know that one of her Combos is a Dark attack, so does that Skill only get applied if I use that Combo? If that's the case, what happens for other characters whose combos aren't different elemental attacks? Is it not possible to get e.g. Water+ for Link's Fire Rod?

On the subject of Combos, is there anywhere in-game which explains what they do? I know I can look up what combos are available and that, but it doesn't explain anything other than what the button sequence is.

Also, how do you use Thunder attacks to juggle enemies? If I use Sheik's Thunder combo to launch enemies, they drop to the ground before I've been able to regain control because of the cooldown.

That's some super specific info, and as much as I played Hyrule Warriors I can't really recall if the modifiers apply ailments on minor attacks or just with combos. You should be able to tell if an enemy's afflicted, they'll have a purple patch on their body?

Anyway, there was a thread for that game with Reams of Posts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508 so maybe the answer's in there somewhere.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I accidentally beat the game a couple weeks ago and it's taken me a while to catch up with the thread!

Anyway, I say "accidentally" because: I had been looking for memories and I knew there was one in the castle, which I hadn't explored much of because I had first approached from the town ruins, a.k.a. the most heavily guarded entrance! But since that visit I learned how to parry reasonably well, so I bravely decided to do some exploring. I approached from the left side, donned the Zora armor so I could swim upwards, went up like three or four waterfalls, found the first gatehouse, reloaded my save when it locked me in there with a Lynel, climbed up and over and found another path, and then saw a walkway leading up to a big room. I thought I might've had to go inside the castle for a bit to find a way to the memory so I went in. And welp, it just so happened that Calamity Ganon was there, so I figured I'd at least try it out.

I had wanted to find all of the memories before beating Ganon and I intended to leave the castle as soon as I found what I was looking for, but in a way I like that after playing most of the game getting distracted and sidetracked by things, I ended up just stumbling upon the last boss while on an errand for something else. It felt poetic.

I've forgotten most of the things that made me go THIS GAME, but I do remember:

- Finding the Blood Moon shrine quest, readying myself for a long wait and a mad rush back to the pedestal, figuring I'd kill some time by wailing on some enemies, and getting a Blood Moon the very next night. After hearing so many frustrated stories about that quest, my results felt pretty anticlimactic.

- Soon after doing the Blood Moon quest, I was wandering around that general area of the map and I found a small set of ruins with some monsters sitting and...having a seminar? They were sitting on a log and by a campfire, all facing front, and one was standing up and talking to everyone. And...then I ambushed them.

- Early on I found two Hinoxes relatively close to each other with those giant shrine spheres around their neck, and after perching up high and arrowing their eyeballs repeatedly, I managed to knock them both down and steal their spheres. I was running the second one up the mountain when a Blood Moon hit and reset all my progress. It felt like a kick in the pants until I realized, MUCH later, that there was actually a third pedestal up there and a third Hinox whose location I hadn't found. It made the Blood Moon reset less painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

oopsie rock posted:

- Early on I found two Hinoxes relatively close to each other with those giant shrine spheres around their neck, and after perching up high and arrowing their eyeballs repeatedly, I managed to knock them both down and steal their spheres. I was running the second one up the mountain when a Blood Moon hit and reset all my progress. It felt like a kick in the pants until I realized, MUCH later, that there was actually a third pedestal up there and a third Hinox whose location I hadn't found. It made the Blood Moon reset less painful.

Huh, so getting the blood moon there reset the orbs out of the pedastals? I wouldn't have expected that.